Start by marking “You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself” as Want to Read:
You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself

You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  532 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Harry Beckwith, the bestselling author of the classic "Selling the Invisible," reveals how the secret to selling is to sell oneself first.
Published March 1st 2007 by Business Plus (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about You, Inc., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You, Inc.

Brian
Nov 20, 2007 Brian rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you, inc.
The most impressive thing about this book is the punctuation of the title. In a modern day book title, one rarely sees a comma, a period, and a colon.

From this title, you might infer that this is a book about how prostitutes can form corporate business entities. That would have been a better book. Instead, You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself is basically a rehash of Dale Carneige and of everyone who, to date, has rehashed him.

This book was thoroughly so-so. It consists of short one- or two-pa
Clair
This book is wonderful. Beckwith's creative, clear, and compassionate voice, as well as Clifford's vast array of anecdotal stories combine to make a "career book" into a real joy. Chapters are short and concise, one or two pages long, and the font is large! This is great because it makes ideas quickly accessible and gives more time for reflection, it also makes it one of those books you can keep on your desk and return to daily to look up a new positive habit to practice. I read this book right ...more
Ann Collette
This is a tapas of helpful advice on presenting yourself well. (By "tapas" I'm refering to the structure, which is organized in easily read, short and tasty segments of one to three pages of individualized advice.)
The tone of the book is chatty and down to earth, with each each segment of advice, geared towards those in sales but applicable to anyone who's concerned about making a good first impression, easy to grasp. Some of the advice might seem very basic but the authors recognize that and
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – You, Inc.

When I was a young man, the first book I got my hands on was the Bible. Now for those of you who are spiritual enthusiasts, well, you may rejoice at this fact. Others may smile with the peace knowing that yes, I may be blessed and will get my seat heaven.

But on the other hand for the non-spiritual or non-Christian community, this piece of information would be meaningless.

The Good News (no pun intended) of reading the Bible – It improved my ability to read,
Clay Ashworth
Characters: The stories only character would have to be the narrator (the author). I would rate the characters as a 5 because he was friendly and sounded like a nice person just having a conversation rather than giving me a lecture. The author acts as if he is just talking to the reader and giving him advice. The book is about how to better yourself so by having the nice character voice to the text gives the book an easy hook to not put down. “If you worry ‘is my idea professional?’ it probably ...more
Chao
It's a good book and a great read. Lots of great tips that help me in my own life. Also, it is called an "Art" for a reason; because there is no step by step in art. So this book did a great job giving people room to explore their own ways to sell themselves with the tips given in this book. Done.
Dan
Boring, and not much depth. Most of the advice in here is pretty good, but most people won't remember any of it. There's just no substance for your memory to grasp on to. Sections range from one sentence to short anecdotes.
David
This was a disappointment and did not meet the expectations I had from the reviews I read.

In the first quarter of the book, the author states the importance of specializing in an area of business and doing it well - which is great advice. But then in just a few sections further talks about not working on developing your strengths, but on your weaknesses.

Then they write about mentors and how a person should have multiple mentors. I can see the wisdom of having multiple people within your counci
Mischa
As the authors themselves claim this book probably wont teach you anything you didn't already know. What it did manage to teach me however was a strategy for remembering the names of people I meet. That alone is invaluable to me. Though I new I was a visual person I had never seriously considered how this effected me remembering names. For the past week I have been practicing assigning a "visual memory clue" to the name of anyone I meet. Its amazing how well it works. Just never tell the person ...more
Ahmad Nazeri
a lot of great, practical advice/wisdom; however, occasionally repetitive.
Mike
Really enjoyed the messages in this book; it really grew on me as it progressed.
Kristine
I LOVED this book!!! Easy read and chunck full of GREAT advise!!! Here's and example of some of the pearls of wisdom you will find:'

The books title seems to suggest to you, "What can I get?" Perhaps if ther eis only one answer it's this: JUST GIVE, THEN WATCH.

Success is out there. Sometimes you succeed by pursuing it. Other times you succeed simply by being in luck's path when it races by and smacks into you. Go where you don't want to go. Get in luck's path.

Go to life's dance. Life is a wonder,
Jay
I listened to this on audio and I found it surprisingly interesting throughout. Many of these kinds of books seem to have less than a books worth of material, but I found the interesting comments and topics throughout. It was like the authors kept notes about all the situations that he had been in where he sold himself, and you're getting the benefit of years of thought on the subject. Lots of good examples outside of the author's life in the book as well. Big on the servant leadership (more ser ...more
Islam Mohamed
Mar 10, 2014 Islam Mohamed marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want
كتاب رائع
Tori Danielle
I had high hopes for this book, and I was left disappointed. Instead of going in-depth with tools and tricks to brand yourself and your work (which is what I thought this book would cover at some point) it is filled with anecdotal stories that may be inspiring to a salesperson or someone who actually makes pitches as a regular part of their career. There was little useful information, and nothing that triggered an "a-ha!" moment. It didn't meet my needs or expectations.
Sherif Hazem
Yes, this book tried to give some basic rules for selling whatever from the mere conceptual sense.

The writing style of this book tended to be deliberately over simplified, which is a positive thing.

However, these rules were so basic to the extent that I sometimes felt that they are shallow.

Also, many of the examples looked very irrelevant to me, while others looked too prolonged in a way that they exceeded the purpose of delivering their messages.
Pamela
I have read a lot of business books...and apparently so has the author of this one. This book is a hodgepodge of ideas gleaned from other business/inspirational books and not worth your dollar to buy it. I could barely force myself to read 5 of the mini chapters...and I don't give up easily. If you haven't read a lot of inspirational business books, this might be a good primer. I donated this book to the local thrift store.
Daniel Noventa
There's a lot of information provided in this book that not only benefits you, but those around you. It does sometimes hurt those around you though. They mention a sales person that sold too much to people and they had to worry about paying their bills. So, I still think sales people are snakes, but the need to sell is still a necessity. Hopefully people are bright enough to realize their own limitations.
Kendel Christensen
I liked this book. It was my second read, and it was a lot more basic than what I gave it credit for. Nonetheless, it has some good questions to ask yourself. Two in particular stood out:

"What is your essence? What are you really about?"
and, relatedly,

What is something that you have to do, or you'll burn up? Something that you think is costing the world because it does not exist in the right quality?
Melissa
1 CD in and I couldn't listen anymore. Made no sense.
Mark
Interesting. In a era where we are all on Facebook Twitter, etc. you might want to consider how you are presenting yourself to the world or it could come back to bite you. Although this book doesn't deal directly with the web and how it enables our every thought to be publicized it can still promote some thought before you put that info out there.
Amanda
This book takes the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" approach in its format...short, concise, 1-2 page chapters that highlight common sense skills necessary to be an effective communicator. I say communicators, they say salespeople. Either way, the content is about the image you project and how to fine-tune the smaller details that ultimately define you.
Constance
It's a fast read as the print is large in my copy. The author points out that although many people are familiar with the ideas of self-help books, execution is largely the problem. The author's advice is also more generic. I wouldn't recommend this book because I think there are other self help books that are more engaging and inspirational.
Monce Abraham
This goes into the list of books I would like to pass on when I move on from here. Made me go back in time, and reclaim a part of myself which I had rested some years back.

Read it - It's all about you... and hey, if you are anyways going to live just once - you might as well do things the right way while you are here.

Best, Monce
Natalie
I took 10 quotes/concepts from this book that I found powerful and fresh. It became somewhat repetitive & a bit sappy, but if consumed over several small readings (in the bathroom perhaps?) this may be less of an issue for others. Overall a worthwhile book to skim, and then reread topics of interest, rather than to read every word of.
Travis
The book lives up to its name and has some good points. It's easy to read, I just found that it lacked actionable steps to follow.
Michelle
Mar 14, 2013 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs and business execuitives
I read this book at least once a year as I find it such a good source of inspiration and motivation. Bought it years ago when I was on holiday in Canadian and is well worth the price. It's full of short pieces of advice that has the feel of a blog making it easy to read. Would highly recommend it. Thanks Harry.
Derek
How to sell yourself. More of the focus of the book felt towards actual sales people, rather than anyone looking to present themselves to others as someone worth hiring. I think the beginning and ending of the book had stronger chapters. Not worth your time if you've already read something similar.
Amanda
Overall, the format lends itself to going back and flipping through for relevant gems. During this first readying, the parts I found most helpful were related to consulting and management.

A couple of the sections were so poorly written that I couldn't ascertain the point of the story.

• Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read: The Simple, Stress-Free Way to Reach Your Investment Goals
  • Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program to Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--And Won't Let You Fail
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The Irresistible Offer: How to Sell Your Product or Service in 3 Seconds or Less
  • Management of the Absurd
  • Maximum Achievement: Strategies and Skills that Will Unlock Your Hidden Powers to Succeed
  • The Brand You50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an "Employee" into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Passion!
  • The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE
  • The Wealthy Freelancer: 12 Secrets to a Great Income and an Enviable Lifestyle
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • Radical Honesty : How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth
  • The Art of Woo: Using Strategic Persuasion to Sell Your Ideas
Harry Beckwith heads Beckwith Partners, a marketing firm that advises twenty-three Fortune 200 clients and dozens of venture-capitalized start-ups on branding and positioning. A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Stanford, Beckwith is an internationally acclaimed speaker. He is the bestselling author of five books, which, collectively, have been translated into twenty-three languages.
More about Harry Beckwith...
Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing What Clients Love: A Field Guide to Growing Your Business Unthinking: The Surprising Forces Behind What We Buy The Invisible Touch: The Four Keys to Modern Marketing Lovecraft's Providence & Adjacent Parts

“Acquaintances give us moments; friends give us hours; good friends give us days.” 1 likes