Start by marking “Cottage Garden” as Want to Read:

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Cottage gardens are popular in North America for their abundant informality, but British gardener Christopher Lloyd reminds us that a working cottage garden isn't all hollyhocks and lamb's ears. In its Old World origins, it served many purposes: as vegetable patch, cutting garden, and a place to sit in the cool of the evening. "It has evolved through common sense, combines ...more
Unknown Binding, 192 pages
Published December 30th 1991 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published August 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Cottage Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cottage Garden

Fluffy Flowers
Aug 18, 2010 Fluffy Flowers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening, nonfiction
I had no idea when I picked up The Cottage Garden at the library several years ago that author Christopher Lloyd was THE guy when it comes to horticulture. I just liked to look at the pretty pictures. But I was reading the best gardening book ever written (Mrs. Greenthumbs: How I Turned a Boring Yard into a Glorious Garden and How You Can, Too) and it mentioned Christopher Lloyd. A lot. And the funny thing was, I kept thinking she meant Christopher LOWELL. Um, yeah, that's a totally different gu ...more
Tatjana
Sep 05, 2008 Tatjana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning gardeners.
This is a lovely and terribly practical book covering many aspects of cottage gardening. While this book is clearly geared to those living in climates friendly to English plants, the material is definitely of enough value to be useful for those of us using plants more suited to our finicky regions. Photos and illustrations carefully break down the creation of giant seas of plantings. The emphasis is on planning and learning and creating a habit of gardening, leading one to let it take a life of ...more
Anna
This book is primarily a picture book, which is why I only gave it three stars. If you like that kind of thing, you'd probably rate it much higher.

I had to do a lot of skimming to find much meat, but the meat itself was fascinating. This is an indigenous gardening form to England, practiced by peasants who had very little time or money but wanted to grow some or most of their food. Back-to-the-landers have a lot to learn. Read my full review of The
on my blog.
Jim Krotzman
May 20, 2015 Jim Krotzman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A list of plants and plans for landscaping an English cottage garden.
Sara
Apr 23, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is almost as much about an English Cottager way of life as gardening. By the end, you think that everyone has a string of dried apples in the attic and a barrel of parsnip wine in the cellar (ala Tasha Tudor). So should you.

Love the last few pages (with the parsnip wine recipes) where he takes you through winter gardening jobs, spring gardening jobs, summer...

A good one to own!
Ruric Amhari
Oct 24, 2011 Ruric Amhari rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated with both photos of cottage gardens and individual plant details. Book split into 5 sections: cottage garden tradition, cottage garden plants, cotage garden features, planting the cottage garden and the working cottage garden.

Again focus mostly on soft landscaping and suitable plants and their uses.
Kay
Oct 11, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Cottage Garden has so many aspects. First it explains how cottage gardens came to be. Then it shows plants that are favorites of cottage gardens and lastly it tells you how to grow a cottage garden. If only I lived in England I'm sure I could work all of this out perfectly!
Michelle Kwasney
Enjoyed rereading a gift from a dear friend, given over 20 years ago. What a lovely way to anticipate the beauty of the warmer weather ahead. A seasoned favorite, with exceptional reference, photographs, and nibbles of English wit.
Cindy
Jul 19, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-program
This is an amazing book,full of interesting information about everything you might want to know about cottage gardens. They are so beautiful but it takes work and time. I admire them more than ever.
Bobbi Taniguchi
So, if I tore out all my grass and did this...um, but it would take a few years to to all that. And the kids want somewhere to play still. Absolutely beautiful. Makes a gardener's mouth water.
Sarah rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Hilary Drain
Hilary Drain rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Jessica Allen
Jessica Allen rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Olivia Chung
Olivia Chung marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Donna Buonaiuto
Donna Buonaiuto marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Ginger
Ginger marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
dw
dw marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Rolanda Hairston
Rolanda Hairston marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Musfi
Musfi marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Hayden Columbine
Hayden Columbine marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Shirley Buckingham
Shirley Buckingham rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Christopher Hamilton Lloyd, OBE, was a British gardener and author. He was the 20th Century chronicler for the heavily planted, labour-intensive, country garden.[
More about Christopher Lloyd...