Start by marking “Le Coup Au Coeur (Inspector Banks, #16)” as Want to Read:
Le Coup Au Coeur (Inspector Banks, #16)

Le Coup Au Coeur (Inspector Banks #16)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,536 ratings  ·  158 reviews

Piece of My Heart is Peter Robinson’s outstanding sixteenth novel in the acclaimed Inspector Banks series. Richly textured with the music and conflicting mores of 1960s Britain, the story weaves between two eras as it explores just how dangerously things can go awry when one generation is estranged from the next, when fathers no longer understand their daughters.

The novel

Published October 1st 2009 by Livre de Poche (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Le Coup Au Coeur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Coup Au Coeur

Ron Hummer

This is my second time reading a novel by Peter Robinson and I have to say that after reading Piece Of My Heart, I’m more than hooked. If there is anyone who can create a great story with so many memorable characters, it’s Peter Robinson.
In Piece of my heart, there are two murders. One is Linda Lofthouse, who was found murdered in a sleeping bag during a rock and roll festival in September of 1969. Then there was Nick Barber, who was found murdered in his home.
What made this novel more uniq
By the time the connection between the past and present cases is revealed, it's not very much of a surprise, particularly for genre fans. The insight into the backstage world of musicians is intriguing, but my overall enjoyment is marred somewhat (as it has been more than once with Robinson) by the persistent naivete of his female characters. For someone as cool as Banks, I'd expect the women in his world to be somewhat more with it.
Pete Loveday
A good read that is a great bargain - two gripping stories in the one manuscript! How good is that!
Once again Chief Inspector Banks rolls into a deep mystery that has a similarity to a murder scene of 4 decades earlier. Despite 'Dagwood', Banks overcomes the odds and gives us a suspenseful thriller with a wicked twist.
Having read several very good books in this series which kept me up long past my bedtime because I just had to find out what happened, this one didn't seem as good to me. I like a mixture of past and present cases but in this one there was something a bit lacklustre in the 'past' case which meant it didn't really hold my attention. I didn't particularly like the police characters and the victim seemed rather two dimensional so I didn't really care who had murdered her.

That said - I did enjoy rea
Karen Brooks
This engrossing novel commences in 1969, when a lovely young, free-spirited woman is found dead in a sleeping bag after a huge music concert and the suspects range from concert attendees to the musicians themselves.

Fast forward to the Twenty-First Century and Banks is called to investigate the quite brutal murder of a music journalist, Nick Barber, in a small village. Not only is the motive for his death unclear, so are the reasons for Barber's presence in an unremarkable part of the UK. The li
I'm a fan of Robinson's Inspector Banks series, set in Yorkshire. I've just finished the 16th, Piece of My Heart.

There are two intertwined narratives. In one, Banks and his partner, DC Annie Cabot, investigate the 2005 murder of music journalist Nick Barber. In the other, set in 1969, DI Chadwick looks for the killer of a young woman who was stabbed, after midnight, at an outdoor music festival. Banks is convinced that the two cases are connected, and how they're connected is the primary mystery
Paula Dembeck
In this the sixteenth book in the series, Robinson does a fine job of holding our attention with an interesting mystery as well as the evolving character of Alan Banks. Robinson moves between two murders which take place about forty years apart but it seems, may be related.
Back in September of 1969, volunteers cleaning up after the three day Brimleigh Rock Festival, found the dead body of a beautiful young woman in a sleeping bag. She had been stabbed several times and once so severely that a pi
Piece of My Heart tracks two murder cases - the murder of a young woman at a rock festival in 1969 and the current day killing of a "visitor" in the Yorkshire district. Connecting them is the musical group "The Mad Hatters" and our hero Det. Insp. Alan Banks - who is back after his last adventure physically healed with a new house, car, CD collection and boss.

The "intertwining" of the two cases takes a little too long but everything else you'd expect from a Peter Robinson novel is here. Charact
This review is dedicated to my Goodreads, good friend Mr Steven Betts :-)

This is the second Peter Robinson book I have read. I really enjoyed the book, even if it was a bit too long and I guessed the culprit fairly early on.

The story centres around my native Yorkshire and also involves another of my passions, Rock Music. There was a slight twist in the tale too and I will keep reading his books.
Piece Of My Heart is my third Robinson/Banks read and likely to be my last.
There's nothing objectionable about either the writing or the story, but I feel I've done Banks now, and there's nothing else to gain.
Dovetailing two separate murder cases separated by forty years but with much in common is smart but the author had to work really hard on holding the connections at bay, sometimes too hard, and whilst there is a minor twist in the tail it's not an especially satisfying one.
Robinson presents
Mary Balmer
I adore Robinson's Inspector Banks series, and each novel typically delivers the perfect blend of intrigue, character development, and plot. But this one...not so much. I really did not care for the constant flip-flop between the two cases: each set in its own time, place, and with a different set of characters. No sooner had I re-familiarized myself with one scenario, than Robinson would switch to the other! And this was every couple of pages! This jolting, fragmented, format made it impossible ...more
A couple of years ago I read Peter Robinson's "In A Dry Season", loved it, and vowed to read more of his work. I finally got around to with "Piece of My Heart".

This time Alan Banks and Annie Cabbot are working on the murder of a music journalist who was investigating an old rock group called the Mad Hatters. This current mystery alternates in the book with the 1969 murder of a girl at a music festival featuring the Mad Hatters.

The characters are believable and the times well portrayed. Another v
Susan Leary
Although there no "bad" Robinson novels, I foound this one hard to follow. The switching back and forth between 1969 and present day was a bit confusing at times. However, it was nice to revisit the 60's, I remember them well, and the contrast of Chadwick to Banks was well done and added to the tale. It just seemed that the "a-ha" moment was slow to build up and then quickly gone. Oh well, not everyone likes them all. I am sure that the next installment, "Friend of the Devil" will be more to my ...more
Ian Mapp
This is the third time a Banks novel has involved crimes from the distant past. The other two are In a Dry Season (WWII) and Close to home (Banks' youth in the 60's). I really appreciate the way Robinson researches the past and the way he interweaves the story lines in these books. Banks always says the past never goes away, and these books prove his point.

This one goes back to the end of the psychedelic 60's, to the murder of a young woman at a 1969 music festival, and the current killing of a
I finished this book a couple of months ago and haven't written about it. I was given it by a Belgian/French friend of mine in Luxembourg not long before we left for Scotland. He'd read it and thought that I would enjoy it as it's set around the theme of a murder at a rock festival and mentions such notables as Pink Floyd and Led Zep. It is two murder tales in tandem, one set back in the 60s and one in the present day. Obviously there is a connection, and it is the job of the present-day detecti ...more
I found this book very hard to get into at first (and kind of boring, to be honest), but the more I read the more I started to like it.

The writing is smooth and vivid, most of the characters are well developed (more on that later), and the two different murder investigations running side by side (though separated by almost half a century) were very different and very well planned out and presented.

The character of Stanley Chadwick is very well written, amongst the best ones I've ever come across
Banks is faced with the complex case of the murder of a music journalist who had apparently no enemies nor with any obvious motives but which seems to connect with past events in the 1960s and in particular with the well named Mad Hatters. He also has to contend with the arrival of DS Gervaise who has her own agenda. She is ambitious but happy to let Banks have free rein as long as she gets the glory but I noticed how catching the bad guy wasn't top of her list just her looking good. It was nice ...more
Judy Goodnight
This is the 16th book in the Inspector Banks series by Peter Robinson. By this time, we've had the chance to get to know the police characters quite well although there always seem to be a bit more character development in each book. The premise of this book has to do with the murder of a young woman at a rock festival in Yorkshire in 1969 and the murder of a music journalist in present-day Yorkshire. The common thread is a local band with connections to both murders.

We get the story of both in
This review applies to the audio version.

#16 DCI Alan Banks mystery set in Yorkshire, UK. Nick Barber, a music journalist, ends up murdered in a holiday cottage in a Yorkshire village with no apparent motive for the killing. The story line bounces back and forth between present day and 1969 and the murder of a young woman at a local rock festival, whose death is (of course!) related to Barber's.

Barber was doing an investigative piece on rock band The Mad Hatters, as there is an upcoming reunion
At last! A five stars book! This is my top of the year, and I rated it a bit better than The death of Dalziel. Robinson is an excellent writer but I never warmed to his Insp. Banks. His obsession with music most of which I’ve never heard, his high consumption of alcohol, the smoking that he quit lately, were things I couldn’t stand in his case. So I delayed reading this book because I thought I’d hate him in a book on the rock and roll scene. How wrong! I loved the plot, the setting, the swift d ...more
In 1969, a girl is murdered at a music festival in Brimleigh, north of Leeds. Detective Chadwick investigates, unaware that his daughter Yvonne knew the victim and had also attended the same festival. In 2005, a man is bludgeoned to death in a rental cabin close to Eastvale. Ian Banks and Annie Cabot begin their investigations and learn that the victim was a writer doing an article on the '60s band The Mad Hatters, who coincidentally had performed at the Brimleigh festival in 1969.

This book has
Anne Hill
Interesting concept

Two investigations into two murders decades apart. The storylines flowed seamlessly side by side and then merged together effortlessly. Found the wrapping up a little short, perhaps a little more background would have been better. After been lead slowly and deliciously to the finale, it was over rather abruptly. Will definitely read the next book in the series.
Warren Olson
Another solid 'Inspector Banks' tale - will appeal to lovers of late 60's music the era in which much of the book is set ; with plenty of reference to the bands/music of the time. A reasonable insight into the changing times, the battles between parents and would-be-young hippies, which ultimately finds a link to a current day murder.
A worthwhile read but somehow I felt there are better 'Banks' books.
Stephen Gray
This is the 16th book in the DCI Banks series from Peter Robinson. In my opinion the best yet. Although the first book was very good the series has improved as it has moved along. The stories are more complex and therefore more interesting. The characters have developed and matured. This is the first time I have read this number of books in a series - still about seven to go. So glad that I started reading before seeing the distinctly average TV series which does not do justice to these excellen ...more
David Harris
enjoyable, Peter Robinson's books have improved as he writes more. I have read most of his DCI Banks series and this was the next in order. Whilst the series does not need to be read in order there are a few on going tales that benefit from doing so. In this book he also used a "flashback" sequence to an earlier time that was also used in an earlier book (the summer that never was?).
Pamela Mclaren
Another strong Chief Inspector Alan Banks novel. In this one, the story switches between to time periods: 1969 and the present day. Two mysteries surrounding rock n roll -- one the stabbing death of a young woman at a rock music festival, the other the bludgeoning of a music writer. The common thread: a rock band that performed at the festival and was the subject being investigated by the writer.

Meanwhile, Banks deals with a ambitious new female boss and a visit by his son. It makes for a very i
Bookmarks Magazine

Erstwhile poet Peter Robinson and Chief Inspector Alan Banks have been inseparable for two decades, and Robinson continues to provide fresh insights into a character whom reviewers liken to a detective Everyman, "cagey and observant, but ? not the brainiest sleuth in crime literature" (New York Times). The author's strength has always been his ability to create strong, believable characters while maintaining the pace of his plots. In Piece of My Heart, his 16th novel and the 14th featuring Bank

Jill Deutsch
I am trying to read Peter Robinson's mysteries in order. I like the continuity between books and I like the characters. This went back and forth between the 1960s and the present. He did a similar plot device in A Dry Season. The 1960's part was a bit dated but the mystery was interesting.
Amber Mondy
This was my first book I read of Peter Robinson's and instantly fell in love with his writing. The attention to detail with the time frames, characters and locations make it an even better read. I have read many more of his Inspector Banks series since and can't get enough!
  • Blood on the Tongue (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #3)
  • The Take (DI Joe Faraday, #2)
  • The Wood Beyond (Dalziel & Pascoe, #15)
  • Buried (Tom Thorne, #6)
  • Den döende detektiven
  • The Hanging Garden (Inspector Rebus, #9)
  • The Scold's Bridle
  • The Torment of Others (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #4)

Peter Robinson was born in Yorkshire. After getting his BA Honours Degree in English Literature at the University of Leeds, he came to Canada and took his MA in English and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor, with Joyce Carol Oates as his tutor, then a PhD in En
More about Peter Robinson...

Inspector Banks (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1)
  • A Dedicated Man  (Inspector Banks, #2)
  • A Necessary End (Inspector Banks, #3)
  • The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks, #4)
  • Past Reason Hated (Inspector Banks, #5)
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • Dry Bones That Dream (Inspector Banks, #7)
  • Innocent Graves (Inspector Banks, #8)
  • Blood At The Root (Inspector Banks, #9)
  • In A Dry Season (Inspector Banks, #10)