Start by marking “Present Value: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Present Value: A Novel

Present Value: A Novel

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Fritz Brubaker and his wife, Linda—an attractive couple in their mid-forties—have it all. He’s a toy-company executive and she’s a million-dollar-a-year lawyer. Their children are in private school; they have a McMansion in a Boston suburb and a cottage on Nantucket. But their comfortable world is suddenly turned upside down when Fritz’s company’s stock tanks and he is arr ...more
Published September 14th 2004 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published September 2nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Present Value, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Present Value

The Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim EdwardsWicked by Gregory MaguireThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Wall Bangers!
497th out of 564 books — 447 voters

More lists with this book...

Donald Crane
I really liked this book, which combines a compelling plot regarding accounting fraud (think Enron on a smaller scale) with powerful social commentary and some thought-provoking ruminations about life's purpose. Willett's first two novels were also excellent, though it was several years ago that I read them, and my best recollection is that they were more plot-driven, without the over social statements that exist in this one.

Interwoven in this book are occasional chapters recounting a college ec
Karen
I love satire with a heart, so this was right up my alley. The characters were surprisingly well-developed, and the story of a family disintegrating and putting itself back together was actually very moving. Fritz was just a hilarious character in all of his integrity, and some of the scenes which focused on him were brilliant. I think the arraignment scene is comparable in humor to some of the funniest scenes I've read in literature, like the lecture scene toward the end of Lucky Jim and the Se ...more
Chuck
I have read two of Sabin Willet's novels and given them high marks. He usually writes serious, intelligent and knowledgeable stories. In his other life he is a Harvard graduate, Harvard Law School graduate and a partner in a prestigious Boston law firm. So when I found this offering in the library I jumped on it. I should have paid more attention to the cover; a picture of a very nice residence but what I failed to observe was the goat on the front lawn. This novel turned out to be an attempt at ...more
Pbwritr
A very good book, not a thriller or as exciting as The Betrayal, but keen satire on people in the financial world. Great descriptions of insider trading and how a company can fall apart. Wonderful explanations of economic principles in the guise of college lectures. A bit tedious some of the time, but mostly very witty through revealing "thoughts" of all participants, what we, "everyman," might think in the same situations. Very clever, overall, and basically a good sotry though the plot slows d ...more
Marni
I read this years ago and can't remember the plot that well, but I remember that this is a nicely written and bitterly funny book about living in modermn America. Characters are addicted to their ipods and the internet, so it is totally realistic. I enjoyed this book immensely, and wonder why it never got more attention. For an up to date black comedy, this is a good book to read. Not as slick as Christofer Moore's work or with as good a premise as Boomsday, still a dark and incisive work.
Marni
I was going through the books that I want to sell at my garage sale tomorrow and came across this one. I don't remember why/how/when I decided to read this book, but I do remember that I really enjoyed it, and was pleased to have found it.

Sharp, witty, trenchant (ain't that a GREAT word?) and engaging, I wanted to make sure that I added it to goodreads so that others could look into it. Also, now I will be able to remember her name and check out some of her other books!
Garrett
Your mileage will vary, but I could hardly put this one down and was impressed with the author's knowledge of law, finance, money, and human relationships. Of course, it cut close to the bone with the description of suburban Boston families and schools. 9/11 is weaved into the narrative and haunts other parts of the story like the collapse of the protagonist's company and family. The goats named after Red Sox players is a nice touch.
Jessica
Oct 10, 2007 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cynics who want to laugh out loud
This was a great book. Willett perfectly satirized a 21st century American family--complete with Blackberry addictions, luxury SUVs, and private schools. And Willett's humor was just spot on. At times, this book reminded me of the movie The Office, with the wit and irony of the main character and the characters surrounding him. I laughed out loud and cringed, but really enjoyed it all the way through.
Heide
Sep 10, 2012 Heide added it
Absolutely this author. I will make an effort to read all his works. Sabin, I loved the characters, their imperfections and your amazing insights that make each one a valued person, regardless of how shallow they initially appear. I actually highlighted some sections as points to discuss with my love.
Highly recommend.
Lori Anaple
I liked the satire about the "modern family" and the addictions to technology. It dragged on but the main characters seem to triumph over the cancer of greed. The only character that I really liked was Fritz and I found his observations quirky and funny.
Denise
this book is unlike most that I read. It is definitely written from a man's point of view but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is full of satire and great commentary on values within privledged families.
Max Stone
Moderately funny.

Takes place around Dover, MA, which is near and dear to me, so there is the fun local element.

But not more than that.
Lindsay Goldstein
This was an excellent read, and well constructed story. I appreciate the Boston and MA references!
Marni
Fun for people interested in accounting or the practice of law.
Liz
Read this a few years ago and just LOVED it!
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 14, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
very good
Snef Snef
Snef Snef marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Jan
Jan added it
Aug 28, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Stephen Welborn
Stephen Welborn marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
L.A. EATON
L.A. EATON marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Peter Sabin Willett, known as Sabin Willett, (born March 6, 1957) is an American lawyer and novelist, a partner with the Boston law firm Bingham McCutchen, previously called Bingham Dana. He lives near Boston, Massachusetts. His is perhaps best known as a defense lawyer for U.S. prisoners at the Guantanamo Bay detainment camp, including Adil Abdulhakim.

More about Sabin Willett...
Abide with Me The Deal The Betrayal The Mortgage The Betrayal: A Novel