Start by marking “Japan (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)” as Want to Read:
Japan (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)

Japan (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  318 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Covers some of the best attractions Japan has to offer, with over 1000 detailed maps of Japan, colour photographs and illustrations. This work offers background information on some of the best things to do in Japan region by region; from exploring the bustling streets of Tokyo to climbing Mount Fuji.
Published 2009 by Dorling Kindersley (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Japan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Japan

Creative Choices
Buy this book for the beauty and cultural facts NOT as a travel guide.

I lived in Japan for four years this book would get you lost...lol.

This book is visually pleasing and has some wonderful information about the culture itself (just a note here however, the Japan of Tokyo is NOT the same as the Japan of Amouri or the Japan of Okanowa).

I would recommend this book for those just wanting to have some nice visual references along with a few cultural tidbits then recommend some other Travel Guides
Ann Keller
Filled with stunning photographs and packed with useful information about the major cities of Japan, travel arrangements, customs procedures, currency, sightseeing, rail and car travel, dining and general customs of the Japanese people, this guide is jam packed with essential information for any traveler. Fortunately, the book's small size and light weight make it a perfect addition to your luggage. It's a fantastic resource when navigating the myriad streets of Tokyo or for preparing to go out ...more
Valerie
Jan 05, 2013 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never go anywhere without my travel books. A grommets book is better for planning but I take the DK Eyewitness guides in my bag to the locations because they point out both sites and provide maps and key features of important sites. Look at page 166-167 "street by street guide to Eastern Gion and the Higashiyama.". I will use the guide to make sure I hit the key attractions and understand their relevance. Sometimes, the two page location descriptions are more thorough than the leaflets handed ...more
Strangerealms
Jan 19, 2010 Strangerealms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tourism
This particular serie of touristic books is called "Voir" or in English "See". And indeed in this book there are tons of photos, plans and it's a very visual book. It talks about every aspects of the country from history, culture, food, customs, geography, etc. It contains as well a few maps of cities and addresses like for restaurants. The book is fully in color with glazed paper, the book is a bit too heavy but at the same time it's not too big, obviously it's the glazed paper that is making i ...more
Charlie
Jul 18, 2016 Charlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I'm interested in Japan and eye-candy and not because I'm actually planning to go to Japan, so I can't judge this as a useful travel guide. As eye candy though, it's great. And I also like the Eyewitness guides because they have interesting sections on history and customs. I always learn something new.
Wayward Child
Jul 15, 2015 Wayward Child rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed, very thorough and very interesting. Japan is in my top 5 to visit countries and I really hope I get a chance to go there somewhere in the next three years. Though I wouldn`t go without learning Japanese first. I`ve put learning Japanese on hold for now, but I will definitely go back to studying it in the autumn. The history at the beginning of the guide was a bit too much for me and I think they could have omitted that. But, then again, I did study Japanese at college, so the hist ...more
Kevin
Jul 07, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
6/17/11
My current breakfast travel book. Diagrams and callouts work great: easier to skim and read the callouts than the list of local attractions in Insight Guide's Scandinavia. Tiny font, though, still skimming lots.

7/7/11
Finished. I got a little sad, as if I had really ended a trip.

I think with all these travel books, the way they authoritatively generalize the country's people, matter-of-factly telling you how they will behave and speak and do and even think bugs me a lot. I have zero faith
Patricia
Ne se limite pas seulement aux suggestions touristiques de base mais tente aussi de décrire la culture japonaise et son peuple (ce qui est assez important puisqu'il est si particulier). Le guide est très très instructif en nous faisant découvrir le Japon en profondeur avec de temps en temps des maquettes attrayantes et claires. J'aime bien la séparation des sections (Honshu centre, Honshu Ouest, Honshu Nord, Shikoku, Kyushu et Hokkaido) et les photos pleines pages.
À lire si vous ne voulez pas av
Tawny
Aug 28, 2009 Tawny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book taught me a lot of things I should have already known about Japan's culture and history. My only complaint is that the writing was microscopic! Favorite lines:
1. "Few nations have extracted so much refined pleasure and sadness from the contemplation of a flower" (17).
2. "This country remains for many an enigma, an unsolved riddle. Westernized, but different from any Western country, part of Asia, but clearly unlike any other Asian society, Japan is a uniquely adaptable place where trad
Sammy C
Feb 02, 2016 Sammy C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super cool and helpful!
Kay
Although I traveled principally only to Kyoto, this is a good overall introduction to Japan. As with all other Eyewitness Guides, the illustrations are enticing. Simply picking up a volume and thumbing through it will induce a bad case of wanderlust. Having said that, I feel that a novice traveler to Japan should have additional guidance -- this book gives a brief overview of Japanese history and culture but it is by no means a truly adequate one.
Julie
Dec 07, 2007 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series of books, because every page is a glossy picture of illustration. This way, you can better choose what sights you want to see, because you know visually what to expect. Also, for many places it includes an illustrated map, which is helpful for navigating. I used this one while visiting Japan and I used another in the series when visiting the Delhi/Agra/Jaipur area.
Phil
Nov 26, 2008 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, japan
Another in the excellent DK Eyewitness series - these give the traveler a great perspective on what they'll see when they get there. Focusing on the top tourist sites, the floor plans of museums and historical sites are better than any detailed written description of the site. Hotel and restaurant info is sketchy, but that's what Frommers and Fodors are for.
Cagla
Jul 14, 2013 Cagla added it
I really like the book on the historic and scenic info it gave. I had bought it before the big earthquake and the nuclear problems, because we had a ticket to go there (a lifelong dream) and we had to cancel it. Still with this book I had a nice feeling of Japan even without being there. I'll hopefully visit Japan sometime in the future!
Daniel
Apr 19, 2009 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Becky & Todd picked this up for me back when I first announced I was moving over here, and a holiday doesn't go by that I don't pick it up again and use it's amazing resources to plan my trip. The occassion this time? Golden Week, and the fact that Yo-chan and I will be going on our first in-country getaway for over 6 months. Yatta!
Mag
Aug 15, 2010 Mag rated it really liked it
A great visual companion to a visit to Japan. Definitely helps to orient oneself spatially there and the illustrations and photographs are quite beautiful. Not much good without very practical Lonely Planet info, though if you're looking for budget accommodation, detailed information on prices, transportation etc.
Madkropotkin
Apr 17, 2010 Madkropotkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I bought it in order to plan my Wife and I's trip to Japan. We found it very useful. It helped us plan our trip before we even stepped foot on Japanese soil and it helped us find and understand things we would see once we were there. Strongly recommend this book and this series of travel books.
Marcia
Mar 13, 2013 Marcia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I read a newer edition, but even at a couple of years old, it was too dated (pre-2011 earthquake.)
Lot of places of interest, some off the beaten path. Not much detail, though. Good basic information presented in the DK Eyewitness trademark visual style.
Jennie
May 28, 2012 Jennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-books, japan
Great guide book, I found it super helpful. Lots of good cultural information, I can't wait to fill it with sticky notes. There's so much I want to see I'm going to have to plot out every weekend for the next 2 years just to catch of glimpse of my new home.
Mary
Sep 09, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great for making plans and when on the go in japan. doesn't cover all the smaller cities (we made a special stop in fukuyama), but overall great for a first-timer. good info about culture tips and other things to know that you wouldn't otherwise think about.
Aaron
Sep 24, 2007 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Travelers
This book had loads of useful information for me when I lived there. Also I'd say give it a read if you're planning a trip. The language section was truly helpful for beginners and the drunk. ;p
Brian
Jan 23, 2009 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not nearly as much information for their guides for other countries like Spain and Italy, but still helpful. Good pictures and general cultural information.
Japanwecan
Feb 10, 2012 Japanwecan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read guidebook for those wanting an elementary understanding of this country's culture, currency, key cities, history etc.
Don
Jul 03, 2009 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-guides
I haven't been to Japan YET, but I still love this as a reference when reading about Japan, or poetry by Basho, etc.
Estolad
Mar 29, 2016 Estolad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Useful for preplanning and to look up some stuff after your trip. Not very handy to bring on your holiday.
Lulla
Oct 05, 2015 Lulla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book! I cannot wait to go to Japan, this is definitely a book I will take with me! :3
Kana
Summary
Virtual Summer in Japan - 2013 School Virtual Reality Project Reading List.
Stacy
Apr 05, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the Eyewitness Travel Guides. Very informative and full of colorful interesting photos.
Rachelle
Jan 18, 2013 Rachelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful pictures in this book and very helpful.
Cloay
May 18, 2011 Cloay marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
- available in SG NLB 915.204 (Sengkang)
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Japan (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Eyewitness Travel Guides - Ireland
  • Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • France
  • Scotland (revised) (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Amsterdam (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • The Rough Guide to Japan
  • Australia
  • Florence & Tuscany
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary
  • Secret journeys of a lifetime : 500 of the world's best hidden travel gems
  • London (Eyewitness Travel)
  • Istanbul (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)