Here Lies Our Sovereign Lord (Stuart Saga, #6) (Charles II, #3)

Here Lies Our Sovereign Lord (Stuart Saga, #6) (Charles II #3)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Charles II, determined his people shall know peace and religious freedom, intrigues with Louis XIV for the money that will keep him independent of Parliament and dispel the shadows cast over the throne by his son Monmouth and his own brother, the Duke of York.
When politics tire the Merry Monarch, there are always women ready to please him, and the King's passionate nature...more
Paperback, Reprint of 0330023268
Published 1969 by Pan Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Here Lies Our Sovereign Lord (Stuart Saga, #6), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Lies Our Sovereign Lord (Stuart Saga, #6)

Mandy Moody
The story of King Charles II at the end of his reign, told mostly through his interactions with mistresses Nell Gwyn and Louise de Keroualle.
One of Plaidy's better novels, in my opinion.
Nell Gwyn is portrayed quite favorable, in sharp contrast to the way JP wrote many of the other women in Charles life. She's very personable and it's very easy to care about her. When her son died I very nearly cried, and again when Charles died. Nell Gwyn has always been one of my favorite of his mistresses, and...more
Courtney
Great series on Charles II. Description seems to highlight these novels as romance, but I would not agree. While the relationships between Charles II and his many mistresses are highlighted, Plaidy does not dwell. Great historical content and written in great style.
Sara W
Third book in Plaidy's Charles II trilogy. This one focused on Charles' mistresses Nell Gwynne and Louise de Keroualle. Of all of Charles' mistresses, I think I liked Nell the best.
Christine
The final in the trilogy of Charles II. His exile, return, Marriage, Mistresses, the Protestants, the Catholics and his subjects make for a great saga.
Clea Simon
Stagey and dated - lots of repetition and oddly formal writing - and yet I could not put it down.
Diana
Loved the history, but it got a little slow at points.
Calley Nye
Calley Nye marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Elspeth G. Perkin
Elspeth G. Perkin marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Mitra E Niknam
Mitra E Niknam marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Lanna
Lanna marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Austenladyx
Austenladyx marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Kirstie
Kirstie marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Leia
Leia marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Adeline Jenkins
Adeline Jenkins marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Marie White
Marie White marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Ashwise
Ashwise marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden
Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
  • Eleanor the Queen
  • The King's Favorite: A Novel of Nell Gwyn and King Charles II
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • Harlot Queen
  • Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)
  • The King's Grey Mare
  • To the Tower Born: A Novel of the Lost Princes
  • The King's Touch
  • The Secret Wife of King George IV
  • Nell Gwyn: Mistress to a King
  • To the Scaffold: The Life of Marie Antoinette
  • The Cup of Ghosts (Mathilde of Westminster, #1)
  • The Passionate Brood
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • Rivals in the Tudor Court
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million)....more
More about Jean Plaidy...
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York (Queens of England Series, #11)