Start by marking “Here Lies Our Sovereign Lord (Stuart Saga, #6) (Charles II, #3)” as Want to Read:
Here Lies Our Sovereign Lord (Stuart Saga, #6) (Charles II, #3)

Here Lies Our Sovereign Lord (Stuart Saga, #6) (Charles II #3)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Charles II, determined his people shall know peace and religious freedom, intrigues with Louis XIV for the money that will keep him independent of Parliament and dispel the shadows cast over the throne by his son Monmouth and his own brother, the Duke of York.
When politics tire the Merry Monarch, there are always women ready to please him, and the King's passionate nature
Paperback, Reprint of 0330023268
Published 1969 by Pan Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Here Lies Our Sovereign Lord (Stuart Saga, #6), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Lies Our Sovereign Lord (Stuart Saga, #6)

Donnell
Its been ages since I'd read a Plaidy. In the 1980's I plowed through her novels of British Queens and Kings, learning a lot and feeling as if I had actually known the personages. Recently found this book on my shelf still unread.

Of special note: it seems the Whig and Tory parties were created during the reign of Charles II. The Tories siding with the King and the belief in the "Divine Right of Kings" which supports allowing kings to rule without a Parliament. The Whigs wanted a parliament for
Melissa Higby
Mar 07, 2016 Melissa Higby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Plaidy wrote her stories in exactly the format I wanted to read. She told the very true stories of English royals in the point of view of their peers. There was plenty of indiscreet goings on but her style of writing simply hinted at this. She was a true lady and wrote from her heart. I have ready almost everything she wrote, under this name as she wrote in different genres in different names.
Mandy Moody
The story of King Charles II at the end of his reign, told mostly through his interactions with mistresses Nell Gwyn and Louise de Keroualle.
One of Plaidy's better novels, in my opinion.
Nell Gwyn is portrayed quite favorable, in sharp contrast to the way JP wrote many of the other women in Charles life. She's very personable and it's very easy to care about her. When her son died I very nearly cried, and again when Charles died. Nell Gwyn has always been one of my favorite of his mistresses, and
Courtney
Great series on Charles II. Description seems to highlight these novels as romance, but I would not agree. While the relationships between Charles II and his many mistresses are highlighted, Plaidy does not dwell. Great historical content and written in great style.
Sara W
Jan 02, 2010 Sara W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third book in Plaidy's Charles II trilogy. This one focused on Charles' mistresses Nell Gwynne and Louise de Keroualle. Of all of Charles' mistresses, I think I liked Nell the best.
Karen Galber
Mar 09, 2015 Karen Galber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the Charles II trilogy told mainly through his mistresses Louise de Kerrouaille and Nell Gwynne.
Clea Simon
Aug 24, 2011 Clea Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stagey and dated - lots of repetition and oddly formal writing - and yet I could not put it down.
Diana
Aug 07, 2010 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the history, but it got a little slow at points.
Bethan Wallace
Bethan Wallace marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
♥Juvia♥
♥Juvia♥ marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Shannon Deep
Shannon Deep marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Leah Mcrae
Leah Mcrae marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Jessica Hilton
Jessica Hilton marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Collette Crawford
Collette Crawford rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Michelle Ratcliffe
Michelle Ratcliffe marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Pamela Mayfield
Pamela Mayfield marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Rebecca Waranch
Rebecca Waranch marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Holly
Holly added it
Apr 28, 2016
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Leisa Mcneese
Leisa Mcneese marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Tamar Leitner
Tamar Leitner marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Alyssa Weaver
Alyssa Weaver marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Linda Lauter
Linda Lauter rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Mariette Van Der Ent
Mariette Van Der Ent rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
LauLou
LauLou marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Desi Moravenik
Desi Moravenik marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
  • The Lost Queen
  • The King's Favorite
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II
  • Mary of Carisbrooke: The Girl Who Would Not Betray Her King
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • Nell Gwyn: Mistress to a King
  • The White Boar (Lovell Duo, #1)
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • Lilibet: An Intimate Portrait of Elizabeth II
  • Painted Ladies: Women At The Court Of Charles II
  • The Secret Wife of King George IV
  • To the Tower Born: A Novel of the Lost Princes
  • The King's Grey Mare
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

Charles II (3 books)
  • The Wandering Prince (Stuart Saga, #4) (Charles II, #1)
  • A Health Unto His Majesty (Stuart Saga, #5) (Charles II, #2)