Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl, #6)

Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl #6)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  35,957 ratings  ·  1,479 reviews
Artemis’s mother has contracted a deadly disease—and the only cure lies in the brain fluid of African lemurs. Unfortunately, Artemis himself was responsible for making the lemurs extinct five years ago. Now he must enlist the aid of his fairy friends to travel back in time and save them. Not only that, but he must face his deadliest foe yet... his younger self.

An unabridge...more
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published July 13th 2010 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published July 5th 2008)

TamTam
I LOVED this book! Eoin Colfer writes such great fun to read stories! I loved the ending of this book and the whole idea of the book too with the whole time traveling and Artemis meeting his past self and being outsmarted by his younger self. After reading this book, I definitely want to reread the first one again.

Everyone must give Artemis Fowl a chance! It's a great series and one of my absolute favorites!
Mary
Listened to on audiobook by Listening Library, narrated by Enn Reitel.
Very disappointed that Nathaniel Parker did not narrate this latest installment in the Artemis Fowl series. I had grown so used to his characterizations and really enjoyed them. It was a bit like having all the actors change in the middle of the season on your favorite TV show. Not that Enn did a bad job, it just wasn't the same.
This story seemed a bit draggy and convoluted. Artemis goes back in time to save a lemur that his e...more
Josie
Britta
Mar 13, 2011 Britta rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Tara
Shelves: 2008, fantasy, fiction, 2011
Another stellar visit into the world of Artemis Fowl (teenage genius) and Holly Short (captian of the L.E.P.).

Back from the place where time doesn't exist (where he saved Number 1 - a warlock), three years has gone by but Artemis (and Holly) both find that they are the same as when they left on their last journey. Artemis has two new (twin) 2 year old brothers.

But, Angeline Fowl is sick. Deathly ill. And it's because of magic. She has been infected with a plague like illness that struck down fa...more
Pepper
Okay, turns out I still like this. No, I LOVE IT. If something can make me laugh, then I love it.

Butler is still awesome as ever.

"I am intrigued," said ten-year-old Artemis Fowl, studying the two individuals in the Bentley trunk. "Something extraordinary has happened here."
"Hardly extraordinary," said Butler, checking the girl's pulse. "Two thieves somehow broke into the manor."
"They bypassed all the security. Not as much as a blip on the motion sensors?"
"Nothing. I just happened on them duri
Josiah
**Not too spoilery, there may be one or two things that aren't present in the official premise, but you discover them fairly quickly anyway.**

I have truly grown fond of the Artemis Fowl series since I first read it as a child, which is probably the reason why I can go back and read the first four books in the series, despite the younger age demographic and slightly juvenile writing. The first four books were great fun to read because they had charm and they made enough sense for me to suspend re...more
Derek
Sep 13, 2008 Derek rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Artemis Fowl Fans
Recommended to Derek by: friends
Artemis Fowl and the TIme Paradox is a interesting and original story about a teenage prodigy who is also a criminal mastermind. In the previous books he has discovered a race of mythical beasts and has had many confrontations but eventually has made peace with them. But now he must ask for a big favor, he needs to go back in time using demon magic. His mother has caught a fatal sickness that can only be cured by a brain fluid of a Silky fur lemur. The problem is that it went extinct four years...more
Emma
Highly disappointed by this book. Artemis Fowl was such a huge part of my childhood, and I spent forever waiting for this last book to come out. I had already sort of moved on from the series, but I was looking forward to it because I expected another excellent book out of the 4 book winning streak of the series.

What a letdown. Obviously this book was written out of popular demand, not because the author had a really well-structured, tailored plot in mind to continue the series with. It felt li...more
Shaya
Jacey
Book 6 in the artemis fowl series was thoroughly enjoyable. Now to be honest and fair, I listened to this while working and when I listen opposed to reading, my critical analysis kinds takes a back seat. A good reader can make up for a slightly incompetent writer without me really noticing. With that disclaimer, I'll say that I thought this book was quite good. The series is very original and well-thought out, especially considering the sea of young adult fantasy that is full of so much flotsam...more
Kelvin Sparks
Kelvin Sparks 805
English Book Review

In the book Artemis Fowl and The Time Paradox Artemis' mother is very ill and this disease is fatal and she caught it almost 'magically' and doctors, and the family are puzzled. A little bit later in the story Artemis discovers the mysterious disease is indeed magic, and is known as Spelltrophy, the N˚1 (a magical peace keeper fairy organization) had 'eradicated' the disease before. Artemis did the research and figured out the disease spreads with the use of...more
Anna
This book only furthered my displeasure that stemmed from the 5th book. Colfer stretched out his plotline to unnecessary proportions.

Since the subject of this novel was time travel, there were many questions left unanswered, especially because Colfer could not establish one set of rules for his time traveling universe. I am unconvinced with Colfer's "ability" to write science fiction - I think he should stick to fantasy, since this book obviously failed at being a mix of a sci-fi/fantasy book.

1....more
Moses Operandi
I read this quickly, as I have past volumes in the series, so my appraisal that the plot was muddled should be taken with a grain of salt; a further reading may prove I was wrong.

I really do enjoy this series. The characters, especially, are fully defined and work well together. Artemis, Butler, Holly, Mulch, Foaly, Root, have all taken a journey through the course of the series and become different people.

This new volume either underscores that or tears into pieces. Authors who meddle with time...more
Serina
*4.5
In all due honesty, I was hating this book up to the whole scheme is revealed, which is, to be exact, on page 338. Bravo for the surprising turn at the end; I thought all hopes were lost. This book from the series is much more convoluted and sometimes maybe too many complications. There are so many times when they COULD have just succeed and return to the present yet SOMETHING always ruins it. That annoyed me A LOT because I thought Artemis can't possibly be defeated so easily.

Oh, yeah, I sh...more
R.j.
Jared Bird
This book was funnier than the others, but once again the narrative is fairly boring. Artemis does not seem that clever anymore. Every once in a while he has a good idea, but they seem to be pretty straight forward plans. Once again, Coif's deficiency in narrative composure also stole a bit from the show- it was hard figuring out what exactly was happening. I guess by now I'm committed to finishing the series though.
Loren
Oct 15, 2008 Loren is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
July can't come fast enough.

I do hope that Colfer breaks his rule of having a passage of time pass tween books as I really want to see his parents react to getting their little 'Arty' back.

Despite the annoying change in edition/covers I believe Colfer still has it in him to pull this one out his ass. I hear whispers of an implied seventh too.
Andreea
Oct 29, 2008 Andreea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone who read previous artemis fowl books
Shelves: reviewed, 10th-grade
"Artemis Fowl" is my all time favorite series. The protagonist is an anti-hero named Artemis Fowl. When teased that he has a female name, he said that "Artemis" is the name of the Greek goddess of hunting, and sometimes there comes along a male with such an impressive ability of hunting his enemies that he earns the right to use the name. Artemis is an 15-year old Irish genius who discovers a species of intelligent "fairies" living underground. However, these fairies aren't fairytale-like - they...more
Jasmine
Rita
This is the sixth book in the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin (pronounced Owen) Colfer. I started reading this series out loud to Alex the first week of second grade for him, which would have been back in ’02, right after we moved here. We had caught up with the Harry Potter books and people who liked that series recommended the Artemis Fowl books (at which time there were only two).

These books are very different than the Potter books, even though they attract the same audience. These are fantasy/sc...more
Swankivy
Yet another hit in this series--Eoin Colfer can't miss! What's always been great about these characters is that they grow and change, and the time paradox mentioned in the title is what causes Artemis to have to come face to face with exactly how much he's changed since meeting the fairies and transforming his morals and his family's life. Getting a glimpse of who he used to be is humbling for him . . . and cool. And I really liked how Holly, my favorite character, acted in this book. There was...more
Stephanie
In this sixth installment of the Artemis Fowl series, Artemis is slowly adjusting to the changes that came about in his family during the three years he lost on his last adventure and to a new role as big brother to toddler twin brothers. But his crimes come back to haunt him when his mother falls desperately ill with a fairy malady, one that can only be cured by the brain fluid of an extinct species Artemis himself had a hand in destroying. To save her, he will have to change the past and face...more
Jackie
Aug 28, 2008 Jackie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people who love magic
Michael Kepler
As expected from Eoin Colfer the book was full of action and humor. The story starts off with Artemis Fowl discovering that his mother has contracted a disease that only creatures that use magic can contract. The only known cure for the disease is from an extinct lemur, so Artemis has to summon the LEP for help.

Artemis is back as an older brother with no criminal activities. Holly short has returned to help Artemis retrieve the antidote to cure his mother.

The story start off in modern day Irelan...more
Brittany Constable
Probably my least favorite of the series so far. It was still enjoyable because they're great characters and it's a fantastic setting, but I'm always a little leery of time travel stories, and I fear that No. 1 is going to be a gamebreaker. I've also really appreciated in past books having a male and a female lead who are very close, but platonically, so the flirtations with taking the relationship in a different direction were disappointing.

I fear that it's starting to run its course. With Arte...more
Virginia
I've followed all of the Artemis Fowl books and have enjoyed their unique twist on making the faerie realm something boys can enjoy reading too (although, me not being a boy, I can't say that with 100% confidence, but I imagine the mixture of cool, James Bondian technology and a criminal mastermind boy genius as the protagonist would appeal to boys too).

This particular instance of the storyline shows Artemis really growing as a character, and I liked the contrast/comparison between himself and...more
Ryan
This book is pretty much classic Fowl. My biggest disappointment came with the first words of the book. This one is read by some guy other than who read the previous 5 books. It'd be like having someone other than Jim Dale reading HP and the Deathly Hallows. Once you've heard the same voice reading a series of stories you kinda get used to and expect certain characters to sound a specific way. I can't say I ever got used to the change. It's not that it was read poorly, it was performed quite wel...more
Arun Divakar
An obnoxious, pig headed protagonist who inches closer to being a well liked human being. This roughly sums up the Artemis Fowl series. Although I have enjoyed the series well, I somehow cannot shake off the feeling that I used to like the devious version of Artemis more. With the last few versions of the story, it somehow seems to veer into a more predictable turn of affairs.

It is time travel this time and a version of Artemis v/s Artemis. It is enjoyable but a tad too melodramatic than its pre...more
Elevetha
Timey-wimey-wibbily-wobbily. Hard to keep up occasionally what with TWO Artemis' running around. I liked the plot device that because of Artemis being a bad person before the fairies(really Holly, Root *sob*, Foaly, and even Mulch) came along, it messed up his life now. However, this was literally jammed filled with eco\save the lemurs!!!!!\global warming\etc. I did not appreciate that. The paradox and the way Eoin Colfer made it all work was brilliant. Holly and Artemis grow ever more best frie...more
Debbie
I LOVE these books. I put a hold on this at our small little library and it took forever to get it, but it was worth the wait. Because it involved time travel it had a complicated "which came first, the chicken or the egg" type of a plot, which I found fascinating and unpredictable. And it looks like it sets up for another book...hooray!

I actually wish I would have LISTENED to it though. The narrator they have for the book on tape version is INCREDIBLE. We have listened to many of these books wh...more
artemis fowl 16 34 Aug 21, 2013 11:07AM
EPIC Artemis Fowl Quiz!!!!!!!! 3 37 Oct 28, 2012 06:19AM
MOON 2 31 Mar 28, 2012 04:24PM
Opal Koboi 8 104 Mar 26, 2012 08:22PM
Opal Koboi 1 16 Feb 26, 2012 12:11PM
  • The End of Infinity (Jack Blank Adventure, #3)
  • Jinx On The Divide (The Divide, #3)
  • Rogue (H.I.V.E, #5)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • Charlie Bone and the Beast (The Children of the Red King, #6)
  • Black Water (Pendragon, #5)
  • Superior Saturday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #6)
  • The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant, #3)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)
  • Skeleton Key (Alex Rider, #3)
  • Isle of the Dead (Dragons of Deltora, #3)
  • Clash of the Sky Galleons (The Edge Chronicles, #9)
  • Ruler of the Realm (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #3)
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A...more
More about Eoin Colfer...
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl, #2) The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl, #3) The Opal Deception  (Artemis Fowl, #4) The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)

“Who are you?" he asked.
I am the future queen of this world, at the very least. You may refer to me as Mistress Koboi for the next five minutes. After that you may refer to me as Aaaaarrrrgh, hold your throat, die screaming, and so on.”
355 likes
“Artemis felt like he was six again and caught hacking the school computers trying to make the test questions harder” 353 likes