A Greener Christmas

A Greener Christmas

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The only guide to celebrating a greener Christmas shows you how to make your home merry, bright, and eco-friendly! Part craft, gardening, and cookbook, part home d cor and entertaining guide, A Greener Christmas lets the whole family get in on projects that are simple, seasonal, and of-the-moment. Welcome guests with candlelit lanterns, hand-stitched stockings, and cozy ho...more
Published September 1st 2009 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)

Kathryn
Dec 17, 2008 Kathryn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crafty "green" types discerning enough to avoid the bad projects
I picked this book up at the library as a substitute for a Christmasy magazine to read at off moments at the breakfast table. The pictures are warm and glossy, and it's great fun to read about homemade wrapping paper, Christmas cookie place cards, fabric ornaments, and recycled Christmas cards.

However, I have a few gripes with the book:
First, several of the natural gift ideas seem a bit unrealistic. While the book claims that the photo album with bits of dried flora "will always be delicate" I...more
Jan
A Greener Christmas: Discover a Simpler, Greener Christmas - Hand-Crafted Gifts and Cards - Natural Decorations - Traditional Recipes / Sheherazade Goldsmith, Editor-In-Chief -- New York : Dorling Kindersley, c2008. (352 pages; color illustrations)

If you are looking for glitz and glamor, look somewhere else. The author states - "I hope this book will inspire you to take a different approach to Christmas, and spare you the stress of excess consumerism."

This book is about using natural products an...more
Annette
I was excited to receive a copy of A Greener Christmas through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program. It arrived right before Christmas making it a timely addition to my collection. [return][return]I'm always looking for ways to live a "greener" life, so I particularly enjoyed the suggestions related to recycling and reusing material. However I found that the book spent more time focusing on natural decorations and traditional recipes than approaches that fit with my thoughts about a "green li...more
Aisha Oaktree
I could literally dive into this book and not come out until next Christmas. There are great green decorating ideas, which use a lot of natural ingredients, which means you will spend next to nothing to make them. I love seeing some of the things we do regularly in our home, in there and knowing that we were being green without even knowing it. Like the cinnamon sticks used to help scent the tree is an awesome idea that my mom has used for years.

It is chuck full of green decorating tips, greene...more
Marie
A Greener Christmas offers ideas and solutions for celebrating a simpler, homespun, greener Christmas. It's packed with ideas for trimming the tree, outfitting the table, making the gifts and feeding the guests. It also offers many suggestions for more eco-friendly shopping and celebrating.

I loved this book. It's perfect for those, like me, who are tired of the commercialism of Christmas and wish this time of year wasn't so chaotic, stressful and wasteful. Even though the recipes and crafts loo...more
Angie
Oct 13, 2009 Angie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kirsten
The pictures are beautiful as are the descriptions of an old fashioned English-esque Christmas. Loved that. However, right after a beautiful stirring-up of lovely memories, the author repeatedly sticks you with the "green" knife. Plastic is bad. We wasted too much for convenience. blah blah blah. Not that she isn't right-she just beats it up. It was just a wierd little rant.

Once I got to the projects I was happier. There were a lot of simple and green things to do using things around your home...more
While I liked the idea of this book, many of the gifts and projects featured were a bit too country with messy results for me. If you have kids and they are into making things, this would probably be a great book for you. If I am going to go to the trouble of making something, I want it to look fairly professional, not like my sand candle making adventures from girl scouts. I will try a few of the recipes, however, they look great.
Mickie
Jan 06, 2009 Mickie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for simple crafts, recipes or ideas for Christmas!
Recommended to Mickie by: Saw it on the shelf at the library!
This non-fiction book has some really neat ideas and recipes. I copied the gingerbread recipe and plan to make it very soon.

The patterns and projects, for the most part, are simple. Instructions are easy to follow.

Would not mind having this book on my shelf at home.

Mentioned it on my Squidoo page December is Read a New Book Month!
Evan
Dec 30, 2008 Evan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tamara
Shelves: domestics
Tamara, I may have found a Christmas book that even you would like! ;)

This green Christmas book focuses more on eco-friendly gifts, meals, and decorations. As such, it seemed less scary to me, as if the author was saying "I'm not trying to Grinch away your Christmas cheer, but here are some small alternate ways to celebrate."
Marci -  Serendipitous Readings
Some of the projects do need some planning ahead, some are suited for children more than adults, but still a good book to get an idea of what activities you would want to do over the holidays. There is a strong recycling aspect to the book, although in some situations I wouldn't re-use some pieces for the projects.
Emily
A good all-around Christmas craft book with simple, but lovely projects and good advice for having a more eco-conscious Christmas. The book does have a British/European lean to it, since it was published there, but it doesn't detract from the book at all.
Chelsea
I combined the felt garland characters with the stocking advent calendar, added my own little quirks and those advent calendars are a hit! Love this book, tried to make the sachertorte though, failed miserably :(
Rachael Lauritzen
Awesome ideas and tons of them, it's got ways to decorate, gifts to give, and holiday recipes, all with an eye to sustainable living, a moderate budget, artistic taste, and creativity. Most projects are very accessible.
Bobbi
The crafts in it are rather "country" for nmy taste, but the recipes are fantastic. They are for traditional Christmas foods from aournd the world and call for organic ingredients.
dee
I really liked this book a lot. I will probably buy it. It is full of great ideas for cooking, crafts, decrorating and all so natural and beautiful. Great gift idea.
Eva
The most interesting part of this book is the section dedicated to my mom's favorite Christmas treats, like stollen and pannetone. How did the author know??
Jan
there are ideas in this book for everyday gifts or projects for around your home. Don't let the title push you off until later date.
Tamara
Sep 23, 2008 Tamara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Evan,

I think no Christmas is the greenest Christmas of all. However, I am curious to see what they suggest...

Bah-humbug,
Tamara
Messyfish
love it...am even doing some of the projects, just wish it was a bit more summery for an australian christmas
Stacey
This books pales a bit in comparison to "A Slice of Organic Life", but is still nice.
Amanda
Lovin' it so far! Lots of good "green" ideas and recipes.
Natalie
another crafty book...
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Dec 12, 2013
Sherri Morgan
Sherri Morgan marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Morgan
Morgan added it
Nov 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A Slice of Organic Life A Slice of the Good Life: Simple Ways Towards a More Self Sufficient and Sustainable Lifestyle The Christmas Book