Start by marking “The Sword of Shannara: In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord: In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord” as Want to Read:

The Sword of Shannara: In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord: In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord (The Sword of Shannara #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  3,748 ratings  ·  14 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Terry Brooks's The Measure of the Magic.

The fate of a world rests on an unlikely hero. . . .

Tucked away in peaceful Shady Vale, the young half-elf Shea Ohmsford gives little thought to the outside world. Yet far to the north, the evil Warlock Lord has dispatched shadowy Skull Bearers, creatures twisted by dark sorcery, to hunt
Published August 5th 2009 by Del Rey (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword of Shannara, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword of Shannara

Clare Farrelly
overall I enjoyed this book and want to continue with the series, but I felt as if a lot of it had been stolen from Lord of The Rings. There is a fellowship (though not called such) with people way to similar in character to the fellowship in Lord of the Rings. The greatest difference being that they are on a quest to find a sword instead of loose a ring.

I also fell asleep (almost) while reading the beginning and I felt like the characters were being told stuff for the readers benefit and not th
Josh Barron
Apr 28, 2008 Josh Barron rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: more the middle age men
Recommended to Josh by: Both of my older brothers
This is just the beginning of what is the best series of books with the different races of characters from montain trolls to humans. I can truely compare my life style or what I would like my life style to be. Going on long journies throught mountain areas and grass plans. In the book it brings people that dont really like eachother to frinds that are as close as brothers. Well I think that if you are ready to move on with the every day books of kids having personal problem and girls that hate t ...more
Tonya
I'm doing something I have never done before, not finish a book. I've always worked my way through pieces of writing I didn't like, in hopes that by the time I got to the end I would find something redeeming about the book. But I am learning I have wasted too much time on bad writing.

This repetitive story was laced with too many adverbs. Plus it seemed he had just finished reading Lord of the Rings and no one should try to recreate Tolkien.

I'm not giving up on the author, will look to read anoth
Emerald
if I could rate the different parts of this book, I would. the first 1/3 was so boring. like a 1 or 2 star. the last 60 pages was a 5 star. so averaging that to a 3. I will be reading the other 2 parts in the series.
Steen
So I am not sure what to think about the story. There were a few things that I hated about the book, mainly, it was pretty wordy and the big blocks of text on each page. Although it did semi pick up around page 150ish for me. I really don't care about any of the characters so far and I don't know if it's just me but I can't stand the main characters name! It bugs me for some reason. I'm going to try and read part two and see how it goes. I'm just not sure this is the fantasy book for me :/ Hopef ...more
Bekah
This was a recommendation from a friends husband. It was ok I wish I loved it, but just didn't. I felt like this book was a cross between Lord of the Rings and The Princess Bride... but I have never read either of those, only watched the movies. Good plot, likable characters, really lame occasional illustrations (could have done without those) maybe just a little too out there. I will probably finish the series though, what can I say ... I like to read even when the book is mediocre.
Casey
having read most of the Shannara books, I wasn't all that pleased with the ending point for this first part of the Sword of Shannara. It was fun going back to a book I hadn't read since middle school, and it was a good as I remembered it, although struggling through some weak writing at a point or two. I didn't remember how often people are described by their "frames" as being wide or slender or lithe or whatever, it gets distracting.
Jen
Hated it. I know that it's very popular and everyone loves it. I couldn't continue with the self-inflicted torture. I read over half, hoping that it would improve. It didn't.

Full review still needs to be written.

Finished 18 September 2013
Johnny Brooks
I enjoyed the story, but not the writing so much. However I am willing to give the next installment a chance. Hopefully we will see some improvement in the writing and hopefully the story continues along as well as it has so far.
Jana
I got about half way through and lost interest. Too much hyperbole, too much deus ex machina, not enough character development, too much journeying for my taste. I guess I'm just not an "epic" fantasy kind of person.
Alex Gonçalves
There certainly is a lot of similarities to LOTR but it still remains very original and captivating. It was also easy to read. I finished it in about 3 days (which is a record for me since I don't read a lot)
Crystal
It was a great book. I read it before a long time ago and wanted to read it again, but is it only the first part of the story.
Robert Haight
Read it, and then stop. Just say NO to any additonal Shannara tales.
Flippie
Flippie marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
yolanda Lewis
yolanda Lewis marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Demetri Sweat
Demetri Sweat marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
new one? 3 16 Aug 02, 2008 09:05PM
  • The Sword of Truth Boxed Set II: Temple of the Winds; Soul of the Fire; Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #4-6)
  • The Malloreon Boxed Set: Guardians of the West, King of the Murgos, Demon Lord of Karanda, Sorceress of Darshiva, Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #1-5)
  • From the Two Rivers: The Eye of the World, Part 1 (Wheel of time, #1-1)
  • The Riftwar Saga (The Riftwar Saga, #1-4)
  • Assassin's Apprentice / Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #1-2)
  • The Lost Swords: The Second Triad (Lost Swords, #4-6)
  • Xanth: The Quest for Magic (Xanth, #1-3)
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
  • The Hunter's Blades Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms: Hunter's Blades, #1-3; Legend of Drizzt, #14-16)
  • Night of the Dragons (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, #2; Dragonlance Chronicles, #2)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...
The Elfstones Of Shannara  (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #2) The Sword of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #1) The Talismans Of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara #4) The Wishsong of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #3) Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)