Start by marking “Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)” as Want to Read:
Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)

Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan #4)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,386 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Silent and lethal, USS Seawolf, the US Navy's most up-to-date stealth submarine, is on an ultra secret mission -- to spy on China's brandnew, hugely-improved Xia-Class submarine. When it ventures dangerously into the forbidden waters of the China Sea, Seawolf is caught in a shocking accident and is captured by the Chinese. The repercussions of the disaster could cause the ...more
Published January 25th 2001 by Arrow (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Seawolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seawolf

Bernard
Jul 08, 2012 Bernard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tom Clancy it isn't. Ethan was in the car when it came to the part where the admiral streams off profanities like "fucking gooks" and "chinks" and what-not. Problem with the book is that the author appears to think that China and US are run my the military. In the US case, he makes it appear like the admiral is running the country and the president works under him. Despite those kinds of issues - where there is no diplomacy whatsoever - its got some fun military scenes. As an audio book, it keep ...more
Neil
It is funny but I can remember the first time I read this book I loved it up until the end and then I completely hated it. I could say I understood others who talked about feeling 'betrayed' by how a book ended after reading this thing's ending. The second time I read it my feelings were not much better. Having picked it up for cheap and reading it a third time, I was able to enjoy it more than the first two times I read it [partly because I somewhat remembered how it was going to end].

The Seawo
Karen
Jan 19, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tony
Jun 23, 2012 Tony rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Parts were so farfetched to make it unbelieveable.
Paul Adams
Dec 30, 2010 Paul Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Patrick Robinson book I read. Great!
Tina
Feb 03, 2015 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the harsh, honest, tell-it-like-it-is Admiral Arnold Morgan! To me, he is one of the best parts of these books. The constant action, deadlines, overcoming of obstacles to make the mission work - it all kept me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't put this book down!
Rosie Hendrix
Oct 01, 2012 Rosie Hendrix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A customer brought this into my work one day and personally handed it to me to read. He is an older gentleman and had always seen me with a book so he wanted to share one of his favorite authors.

I had never read a book by Patrick Robinson before. Actually, I can't say I've ever seen his books before that day since it isn't the normal genre I browse through. I enjoyed it and have discovered a new author to read thanks to my customer.

Patrick Robinson's characters are very real and, although I don'
Lis
Jan 01, 2016 Lis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un'altra vicenda dell'ammiraglio Morgan e compagni. Lo stile è lo stesso degli altri libri della serie, ma questo è un po' troppo lento, la narrazione si perde spesso in inutili dettagli.
Tre stelle scarse.
Kathleen Anderson
Jun 02, 2016 Kathleen Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We listened to the audio book and it was fascinating. The only disappointment was the foul language. It's a good plot in my opinion. And the narrator was "Ducky" from NCIS.
Blake Raab
Feb 10, 2016 Blake Raab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book sometime shortly after it was published, and it's stuck in my mind as one of those books that I would love to pick up and read again any time. I've always loved seeing things about the pure discipline, precision, strength, and dedication of Special Forces, and Robinson captures that perfectly. It's truly a book that is hard to put down.
Henri Moreaux
Really enjoyed this book; at first I was a little worried the Ben Adnam from the prior book was the mysterious Linus Clarke character who seemed nervous and lacking in fortitude, however thankfully it is later revealed who Linus Clarke is and it isn't BA.

This plot is believable, nicely paced and has a great action filled climax before winding down to end on a sorrowful note.

It's nice to read a book involving the US Navy where they aren't portrayed as superheroes, I felt this book did a good jo
Tavis Hanson
Jun 10, 2014 Tavis Hanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good military thriller. Did make a good social commentary at the end, but over all good
William
Jul 20, 2015 William rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dad, thriller
Fun submarine/seal/political thriller. However.. way far away from being politically correct. If you can't get past that you're not going to be offended. Lots of asian and gender stereotyping.
David
Feb 22, 2016 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1st read - 2001-07-16
2nd read - 2016-02-21 to 2016-02-22

I have this book marked as read from back in 2001. But I don't recall any of the plot details after the re-read. Usually, I eventually remember something. Not this time.

The closing of the book "jumps the shark". There is no way some of the things in the end happen without greater consequences than that described in the novel. Then again, the strength of the novel is the technological description. Unlike Clancy novel's though, the characters
Quintin Reitzel
Apr 26, 2016 Quintin Reitzel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!
Willy
Started - 6/22/08.
John Benson
During and after reading U.S.S. Seawolf I thought of the Pueblo as told in Act of War and other documents. The story of the Pueblo happened; the story of the Seawolf was Hollywood to the core.
Shelby Stafford
Was ok
Paul
Oct 20, 2015 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-read
I've enjoyed two other of Robinson's Admiral Morgan series and this one was pretty good, too, so far as the narrative went. What bothered me was the over-the-top political commentary, lambasting Democrats as weak/crooked/unpatriotic/disingenuous. It wouldn't have been so off putting, had this come only from the mouths of some of the characters, but it was just too much coming in the narrator's voice, too - particularly as it did nothing to further the storyline.
Cynthia
Apr 18, 2015 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping narrative. Shocking ending. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
Mr. Blaine
Bad bad bad bad bad bad
Pete
Jan 07, 2016 Pete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
This is the 4th entry in the Arnold Morgan series and a solid followup to "Kilo Class" with the Americans and Chinese facing off against each other again. The Navy Seals getting the starring role in this story so you know there will be plenty of explosive action throughout. The ending which deals with the political fallout of losing the submarine is rushed but overall this is an entertaining read.
Jc
Apr 20, 2015 Jc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robinson is one masterful story teller.
Mick
Dec 20, 2015 Mick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good read
Jim
Feb 19, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"Completely fun sub story where we lose our top sub to the Chinese but save the crew and blast the boat anyway. Like before, his characterizations of everyone and everything outside the military -- the press, the prez, the public -- is completely lame, but the story is still fun and this plot survives better."
Wolf
Dec 01, 2009 Wolf rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
It has been a while since I initially read this book. I have two comments:

1. Dialogue alone does not make a novel.

2. Cursing does not make dialogue.

I did not finish this book; I found it tiresome and unentertaining. It is an attempt, I think, to imitate Tom Clancy, but fails in spectacular ways.
Andrea
Jun 25, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admirad Arnold Morgan.
Newest US hunter-killer submarine patrols waters off of China to find and follow newest Chinese submarine.

I protest the ending, but it appears that a need to "wrap it up" doesn't allow author the time to explain the military mind-set to non-career military readers.
Mark Kloha
Jul 25, 2012 Mark Kloha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. One of the worst books I've ever read. It was fairly decent until I got to the end. The ending of this book is just beyond stupid. Tear out the last chapter or two, come up with your own ending, and this might be an otherwise decent book to read, but the ending is just ridiculous.
Chuck
Apr 20, 2010 Chuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The U.S. Navy's premier nuclear submarine is on a clandestine
mission in the South China Sea. The Seawolf is captured by the
Chinese Navy and the crew is held captive. How do we protect
the Seawolf's technological secrets and rescue the crew?
Davd Neu
Sep 30, 2009 Davd Neu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
probably the best book i've ever read, more attention to detail than i ever thought possible in a book but it is still fast paced enough and engrossing enough that i finished the 480 pages of very small text in three days. BEST BOOK EVER.
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1)
  • Day of Wrath
  • Threat Vector
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...

Admiral Arnold Morgan (10 books)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
  • Ghost Force (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #9)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)