Start by marking “Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)” as Want to Read:
Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)

Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan #4)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,257 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Silent and lethal, USS Seawolf, the US Navy's most up-to-date stealth submarine, is on an ultra secret mission -- to spy on China's brandnew, hugely-improved Xia-Class submarine. When it ventures dangerously into the forbidden waters of the China Sea, Seawolf is caught in a shocking accident and is captured by the Chinese. The repercussions of the disaster could cause the ...more
Published January 25th 2001 by Arrow (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Seawolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seawolf

Tom Clancy it isn't. Ethan was in the car when it came to the part where the admiral streams off profanities like "fucking gooks" and "chinks" and what-not. Problem with the book is that the author appears to think that China and US are run my the military. In the US case, he makes it appear like the admiral is running the country and the president works under him. Despite those kinds of issues - where there is no diplomacy whatsoever - its got some fun military scenes. As an audio book, it keep ...more
It is funny but I can remember the first time I read this book I loved it up until the end and then I completely hated it. I could say I understood others who talked about feeling 'betrayed' by how a book ended after reading this thing's ending. The second time I read it my feelings were not much better. Having picked it up for cheap and reading it a third time, I was able to enjoy it more than the first two times I read it [partly because I somewhat remembered how it was going to end].

The Seawo
Parts were so farfetched to make it unbelieveable.
Paul Adams
First Patrick Robinson book I read. Great!
This is the 4th entry in the Arnold Morgan series and a solid followup to "Kilo Class" with the Americans and Chinese facing off against each other again. The Navy Seals getting the starring role in this story so you know there will be plenty of explosive action throughout. The ending which deals with the political fallout of losing the submarine is rushed but overall this is an entertaining read.
I love the harsh, honest, tell-it-like-it-is Admiral Arnold Morgan! To me, he is one of the best parts of these books. The constant action, deadlines, overcoming of obstacles to make the mission work - it all kept me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't put this book down!
Rosie Hendrix
A customer brought this into my work one day and personally handed it to me to read. He is an older gentleman and had always seen me with a book so he wanted to share one of his favorite authors.

I had never read a book by Patrick Robinson before. Actually, I can't say I've ever seen his books before that day since it isn't the normal genre I browse through. I enjoyed it and have discovered a new author to read thanks to my customer.

Patrick Robinson's characters are very real and, although I don'
Henri Moreaux
Really enjoyed this book; at first I was a little worried the Ben Adnam from the prior book was the mysterious Linus Clarke character who seemed nervous and lacking in fortitude, however thankfully it is later revealed who Linus Clarke is and it isn't BA.

This plot is believable, nicely paced and has a great action filled climax before winding down to end on a sorrowful note.

It's nice to read a book involving the US Navy where they aren't portrayed as superheroes, I felt this book did a good jo
Tavis Hanson
Very good military thriller. Did make a good social commentary at the end, but over all good
Fun submarine/seal/political thriller. However.. way far away from being politically correct. If you can't get past that you're not going to be offended. Lots of asian and gender stereotyping.
John Benson
During and after reading U.S.S. Seawolf I thought of the Pueblo as told in Act of War and other documents. The story of the Pueblo happened; the story of the Seawolf was Hollywood to the core.
I've enjoyed two other of Robinson's Admiral Morgan series and this one was pretty good, too, so far as the narrative went. What bothered me was the over-the-top political commentary, lambasting Democrats as weak/crooked/unpatriotic/disingenuous. It wouldn't have been so off putting, had this come only from the mouths of some of the characters, but it was just too much coming in the narrator's voice, too - particularly as it did nothing to further the storyline.
Gripping narrative. Shocking ending. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
Mr. Blaine
Bad bad bad bad bad bad
Robinson is one masterful story teller.
"Completely fun sub story where we lose our top sub to the Chinese but save the crew and blast the boat anyway. Like before, his characterizations of everyone and everything outside the military -- the press, the prez, the public -- is completely lame, but the story is still fun and this plot survives better."
Dec 01, 2009 Wolf rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
It has been a while since I initially read this book. I have two comments:

1. Dialogue alone does not make a novel.

2. Cursing does not make dialogue.

I did not finish this book; I found it tiresome and unentertaining. It is an attempt, I think, to imitate Tom Clancy, but fails in spectacular ways.
Admirad Arnold Morgan.
Newest US hunter-killer submarine patrols waters off of China to find and follow newest Chinese submarine.

I protest the ending, but it appears that a need to "wrap it up" doesn't allow author the time to explain the military mind-set to non-career military readers.
Mark Kloha
Okay. One of the worst books I've ever read. It was fairly decent until I got to the end. The ending of this book is just beyond stupid. Tear out the last chapter or two, come up with your own ending, and this might be an otherwise decent book to read, but the ending is just ridiculous.
The U.S. Navy's premier nuclear submarine is on a clandestine
mission in the South China Sea. The Seawolf is captured by the
Chinese Navy and the crew is held captive. How do we protect
the Seawolf's technological secrets and rescue the crew?
Davd Neu
probably the best book i've ever read, more attention to detail than i ever thought possible in a book but it is still fast paced enough and engrossing enough that i finished the 480 pages of very small text in three days. BEST BOOK EVER.
Surprising, sad ending that was a little off-theme with some of the rest of the book, but overall a very enjoyable read. Less submarine action than some of his previous novels (closer to Kilo Class than Nimitz Class or Unseen).
Very exciting, well-written plot overall. Just spent a wee bit too much time detailing background of each and every character before going into the plot.
Passable technothriller about a US nuclear attack sub that falls into Chinese hands. Not really much to write home about.
fun naval technothriller dealing with build-up of Chinese navy and stealing of crippled US submarine
It's been awhile since I've read it, but this was a pretty typical Robinson submarine thriller.
Great, his others might have been better, and this startedn a bit slow.
Lots of speech like others have said but still a very enjoyable book.
David Cole
Great book with attention to detail
Lots of unnecessary technicalities
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1)
  • Day of Wrath
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...

Admiral Arnold Morgan (10 books)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
  • Ghost Force (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #9)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)