Start by marking “The Viking in the Wheat Field: A Scientist's Struggle to Preserve the World's Harvest” as Want to Read:

"An eye-opening look into the little known world of gene banks and crop breeding and a poignant reminder that the real guardians of our food security are nnot armies or corporations, but a handul of tirless scientists who have laboared for decades to keep us on step ahead of famine."
Published November 24th 2009 by Walker Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Viking in the Wheat Field, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Viking in the Wheat Field

Matthew
Sep 23, 2016 Matthew rated it liked it
Book is about an interesting topic which I don't know much about, namely how scientists worked to preserve crops and increase yields to feed the world's ever growing population. Dworkin tries to make this interesting by seeing it through the lens of Bent Skovmmand, a Danish scientist who worked at CIMMYT (International Center for the Improvement of Maize and Wheat) with some Indiana Jones-like tendencies and a tireless devotion to making sure that people will have the grains they need to feed ...more
Kathy
Jun 08, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
“If the seeds disappear, so could your food.…So could you.” These are the words of Bent Skovmand who headed the wheat germ bank at the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center in Mexico and fought to keep seeds free and open to breeders and farmers around the world. Dworkin’s well-written biography also introduces readers to the world of genetic crop manipulation – with genes from other strains of the crops and from unrelated organisms – and efforts, both non-profit and for-profit, to ...more
Emily
Oct 16, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Who knew a story about Plant Pathology and Seed Banks could be so interesting? I picked this book up because it was on display at the Plant Pathology Library at the U of M, the cover looked cool, and it was about U of M graduates. I finished it because it was fascinating to read about these scientists efforts to bread wheat that would grow in different climates and be resistant to various parasites and plagues. It really touched me that Skovmand's main goal throughout his life as a breeder of ...more
Joan
Feb 11, 2011 Joan rated it it was amazing
It's a slow read simply cause I'm busy reading too much fiction right now. When I finished it I felt glad that I had. It was very interesting but I think I enjoyed Lee's version as he told me about it than the actual reading of it.
MikeFromQueens
Apr 20, 2010 MikeFromQueens rated it liked it
Shelves: women-writers
Pretty interesting how the extreme complications and lengthy process of wheat germ management and genetic modifications are carried out in the field and not the lab. At time, the author states politically minded perspectives, but it was a only an occasional distraction.
Karin Lippert
Dec 29, 2012 Karin Lippert rated it it was amazing
Excellent background on the need to save our original seeds of life as the battle against GMOs heats up.
Larry
Apr 13, 2012 Larry rated it liked it
An excellent book for its topic but the topic of wheat just isn't too terribly interesting.

Nonetheless, I kept reading. The fact that it had U of M alumni helped keep an interest.
Archie
Jun 05, 2011 Archie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-books

While this is not usually my cup of tea, I did appreciate the hard work these scientists are putting forth to make sure we have a stable food supply for years/centuries to come...
Adam Kendrick
Adam Kendrick rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Marisa
Marisa rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Lucy Blodgett Fisher
Lucy Blodgett Fisher rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Mary Clark
Mary Clark rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2012
Michael Romani
Michael Romani rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Pinkney Mikell
Pinkney Mikell rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2014
Rita Kimmel
Rita Kimmel rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Ink
Ink rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2016
Debra
Debra rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2016
Jessalynn
Jessalynn rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2010
Maralyne Ullerich
Maralyne Ullerich rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Dag Endresen
Dag Endresen rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Richard Li
Richard Li rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Aditi Prabhu
Aditi Prabhu rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Jolene
Feb 01, 2015 Jolene rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, Fantastic, Fantastic!!
Tommy Owens
Tommy Owens rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2011
Ursula
Ursula rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Milo Hamilton
Milo Hamilton rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Karen Nielsen
Karen Nielsen rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Susan Dworkin is an unlimited author. She writes books for everyone.

ARE YOU A TRUE HISTORY BUFF? Susan co-wrote the New York Times Best Seller, THE NAZI OFFICER'S WIFE, with Edith Hahn Beer, the woman who lived this amazing story of love, terror and courage in Hitler's Germany.
ARE YOU A SCIENCE FICTION FAN? Susan's thrill-filled novel, THE COMMONS, is set 150 years in the future, When an ancient
More about Susan Dworkin...

“Anyone can know exactly what is stored in the vault by going to its “Seed Portal”—www.nordgen.org/sgsv.” 0 likes