Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, #5)

Haunted (Women of the Otherworld #5)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  16,868 ratings  ·  615 reviews
THE CONTINUING ADVENTURES OF THE SMART, SEXY — SUPERNATURAL — WOMEN OF THE OTHERWORLD

Eve Levine — half-demon, black witch and devoted mother — has been dead for three years. She has a great house, an interesting love life and can’t be killed again — which comes in handy when you’ve made as many enemies as Eve. Yes, the afterlife isn’t too bad — all she needs to do is find...more
Published May 31st 2005 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Haunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted

valee
I had some problems with this installment as it has been happening to me with the last books I have read in this series, specifically the very same thing that happened to me with book 4. First half of the book boring and very VERY slow. Many times I just wanted to stop with the book and read something else, but then the second half of the book was so amazing that it only took me 4 hours to read it,lol.

But first I think the most important thing is to answer this question: Is it necessary to read...more
Tatiana
Mar 15, 2010 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Women of the Otherworld series
Shelves: 2010, urban-fantasy
"Haunted" is the 5th Women of the World novel and this time narrated by Eve Levine. You might remember Eve as Savannah's half-demon/witch mother who died before the events of the 2nd book in the series "Stolen." In this story Eve is called upon by Fates to pay back their favor by hunting down the Nix - a demon who invades human bodies, compels them to commit atrocities and feeds on the chaos that follows.

Considering that Eve is a ghost and roams the afterlife world, you can understand why I was...more
Jamieson
In the fifth installment of the best selling “Women of the Otherworld” series, we are treated to a new narrator. Armstrong, who never does the same thing twice, gave us a Werewolf as the narrator for the first two books in the series: “Bitten” and ”Stolen.“ Then she switched focus to a Witch in “Dime Store Magic” and “Industrial Magic.“ Now, the focus changes once more and in ”Haunted,“ we are introduced to Eve Levine: former witch and supernatural super power, now a ghost.

Eve Levine first appea...more
DarkHeart "Vehngeance"
I put off reading this book, and therefore continuing with the series, because I wasn't convinced that I would find Eve an appealing enough character to want to read an entire book centered around her - I'm happy to have discovered those concerns were unfounded. Eve made an endearing mother to Savannah and an amusing and caring partner for Kristof (who I was also unconvinced about going in).

Although it wasn't a short book, the story felt fast paced and never dragged. The Nix was an interesting a...more
Megan
How is it that by my fifth book in Kelly Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series I am in love with her world building, but still not totally connected to her characters? The amazing thing about Armstrong is that she creates such in depth and believable paranormal worlds (in this case an afterlife.)

Haunted follows the story of Eve Levine, by now everyone reading this series knows she is a half-demon black witch, who also happens to have been dead for the past three years. But while reading th...more
This is the 6th book in the Women of the Otherworld series and it was the weakest one in the series I thought. I expected this book to center around Jamie the necromancer and instead it was focused on Eve - Savanah's mother who died a few books back.

The entire story was basically a story of Eve's redemption. She was a "bad witch" in the previous stories and when she was killed she went to some supernatural death realm where she obsessed over her daughter Savanah. The Fate's decided to give her...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
No one can accuse Kelley Armstrong of taking the easy road. Imagine a book where the heroine is dead. She's been dead, in fact, for three years. Her love interest is dead too. He died at 47 with a paunchy belly and thinning hair. Oh, and they both have a reputation for being evil. That's the short version of Eve Levine and Kristof Nash. But there is so much more to the story than what you see at first glance.

Both Eve and Kristof exist in one of many ghostly planes. Kris is eager to renew the lov...more
Celine
Whether you like the Women of the Otherworld series or not, one thing is certain; the books all have something that makes them unique. The most intriguing aspect of this book was our new narrator: Eve Levine.

What makes Eve so special is that she's dead, and has been dead quite a while now. She's a ghost, living in the supernatural plane. She can visit the world of the living, but she is unable to actually influence anything there. She is ripped from her obsessing over her 15-year-old still livin...more
Aimee
It's not that there was any one specific thing wrong with this book. I just couldn't connect with Eve. I'm pretty sure it's my own biases...I love Elena....can't bring myself to like someone else in this series.

It took everything I had to read Paige's books...and I actually LIKED her. I can't say the same for Eve. I only made it about 85 pgs before I gave up.
I'm going to pick this one up again at a later date and give it another chance. Ms. Armstrong is a great writer and this is no exceptio...more
Gina
I really liked this one. Plenty of suspense and intrigue, and I like Eve's attitude. She makes for a strong woman, dead or alive. I thought the ending was perfect!
Jody
Haunted is the 5th book in the Women of the Otherworld series, and once again we are treated to a new perspective as this story is told from Eve’s point of view. Eve is a very likable character, and I enjoyed finally getting to know her (even though she’s dead!) but despite that, Haunted is my least favorite of the Otherworld novels so far. I’ve mentioned in my previous reviews of this series that one of the things I love most about Kelley Armstrong’s writing is how she always manages to create...more
Kitty
This wasn't a bad book. It was fairly action-packed, and I really enjoyed the last couple of chapters. However, it was definitely my least favorite of the series so far - but I love this series, so I'm trying to read them all in order. As with all the books in this series, it includes many characters we've already met, but focuses on one particular "woman of the Otherworld" - in this case, Eve Levine. I think there were three things that made this book less enjoyable for me:

(1) Eve Levine is dea...more
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Ah, this book in the series is now my new favorite-for now anyway.

I can't believe how much I liked Eve and Kristof as the leads. It seems that Eve isn't quite as bad of a person as the people that survived her seemed to think she was. Oh, don't get me wrong. She wasn't the best person. She can only be somewhat considered a good person. One thing I'm certain of is that she isn't evil. She and Kristof both are bit morally bankrupt, but neither of them is evil. The biggest surprise, though, was jus...more
Kat
Basic Plot: What happened to Eve Levine after she was murdered (offstage, so to speak) in the novel Stolen? Well, she turned into a ghost. After irritating the Fates, they assign her to a job catching a demon who escaped from hell.

This book was about twice as long as it needed to be. There were endless sections of the book dealing with red herrings that dragged the plot into a swampy morass of endless NOTHING. The book took me almost a month to read. Ridiculous. The plot did pick up at the end,...more
Kathy
From a blog post I wrote in 2006:

I found a new author I really dig. Kelley Armstrong has a series of books out with supernatural characters. I whipped through Bitten, Stolen, Dime Store Magic, Industrial Magic, Haunted and Broken in no time at all.

The first two and the last books have as their main character the lone female werewolf in the world. The third and fourth book have a young witch as the focal point and the fifth one features the story of a dead (but ghostly) witch.

These were really go...more
Pete
Haunted is book 5 of Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong featuring mostly the POV of Eve. She and Kristof, who are Savannah’s ghost parents, go through an exciting adventure in this book along with Jaime, Paige, and Lucas from previous books.

Basketball, my family’s favorite sport, with Lucas and Savannah was refreshing as the dribbling, shouting, and sharp elbows are common around the house. As Eve says, “Life is so much easier when you are tall.”

Demi-demons, angels, Fates and other g...more
Rebecca
An okay beach read. I've read a few of the books in this series, all of them out of order, so some of what went on in "Haunted" confused me. Eve Levine is dead and now existing in ghost world but still has feelings for her daughter, Savannah, and wants to protect her. Eve is also still carrying on some kind of affair with her old lover, Krisof, now also a ghost.

Supposedly you can't touch anything in ghost world but Eve and Kristof keep winding up places where they dress up in costumes, drink bee...more
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I can't remember what were my original thoughts on this book; no doubt I enjoyed it because it is Kelley Armstrong after all but, Haunted made quite the impression on me this time around. I've always been a fan of Eve Levine's character. She's not a clear cut good guy or bad guy which makes her POV interesting to read because you never know what to expect. Armstrong's creativity really shines through in this installment by opening up an all new supernatural universe, that...more
Tina
Stars Breakdown

Plot 3 stars - I was skeptical that this would interest me. I couldn't see a plot where the POV was a ghost could be interesting. I was wrong. Eve's story was intriguing. I did have a problem with the length of the book. The story just dragged on and on. How many times can the Nix slip through Eve's fingers? I started zoning out the last 1/4 of the book.

Cover 2 stars - The cover is nothing that would catch my attention.

Writing 3 stars

Originality 4 stars -

Characters 4 stars - E...more
Jennifer Bielman (Bad Bird Reads)
From http://readingandwritingurbanfantasy....

At a Glance
Haunted was a good read but it added nothing to the series as a whole.

The Good
I am always interested to see how authors envision the afterlife and Armstrong apparently has a vivid imagination because she created one hell of a complex world for the dead. I did find many of her descriptions very interesting because she created a detailed picture that I could imagine myself being sucked into.

I never cared to know more about Eve, the dead, da...more
Ju
I have a reeeeally hard time rating this book. On the one hand, it is very well written. On the other, I did not like it. Since I rate books based on their enjoyability, three stars it is. For now.

First of all, Haunted starts real slow and the snail pace continues for the first part of the book, then slowly picks up and, finally, towards the very end, it gets all action-packed and awesome. It was hard to get sucked into this book and it felt like a slow read, even though it wasn't. But this was...more
Suzan
Jun 30, 2012 Suzan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans
While I do love this book (it is Kelley writing!) it isn't my favourite of the series, I prefer the werewolves books, Paige's books and Jaime's! However having said that I do love Eve! Her sarcastic attitude reminds me of Elena but Eve has less of a moral code! She is as stubborn as Elena and Paige as well but she comes through in the end. My favourite thing about this book though is seeing the world of the afterlife explored, seeing more of the fates and how things operate on the otherside.
I al...more
Mel
Reread 2012

Haunted was one of of the first urban fantasy novels I read. It might have been 2007 or 2008, I'd hadn't voluntarily read a book in years - the too many study books and 'really good Dutch literature' my mom forced on me having quashed my appetite for reading all together. But I was commuting 3 hours a day and I desperately needed something to fill the time with, so I accepted my sister's suggestion to pick up a book from her book shelf.
At that time I had only read the occasional Eng...more
Sandy
HAUNTED (Women of the Otherworld #5) by Kelley Armstrong

HAUNTED is the 5th novel in Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series. Haunted, told from varying POVs, focuses on Eve Levine and Kristof Nash-Savannah’s recently deceased parents. As both a witch and a demon, Eve has been summoned by the Fates to take down the Nix. Calling in a favor for saving Lucas and Page, the Fates demand that Eve pay up.

As a ghost, Eve is unable to communicate with Savannah, and the frustration continues when...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
For pacing and plot line I think this has been the better book of the series so far.

I was a bit prejudiced in the beginning, because the ghost angle didn't appeal to me. When a protagonist can't interact with the physical world the story seems to be less powerful, but it worked very well in this story because Eve moves through many different planes. The author always gives a darker edge to her stories, and both the good and the bad guys don't shy away from violence and deeds that are quite repul...more
chucklesthescot
Since her death, Eve has been wandering about the afterlife searching for a way to contact her daughter Savannah. Now she is offered a dangerous mission to return a dangerous entity to the supernatural prison that it escaped from, and her work brings her into contact with the human world. When the entity knows who is chasing it, it puts Savannah, Paige and Lucas in danger, and Eve requires the help of her dead lover Kristof, Savannah's father, to save their daughter.

It is important that you read...more
Teija
Cherie
I didn't like this, Kelley's 5th novel in her Women of the Otherworld series, nearly as much as the first four. This book centers on Eve, and unlike previous stories, has little to do with any of the other characters I've grown to know and love.

Eve is Savannah's mother, and a ghost in the afterlife. She's unsettled and is having a difficult time leaving her mortal life behind and embracing her new "afterlife" with Kristof Nash, Savannah's father whom we met in Dime Store Magic. Even though Eve...more
Heather
Honestly I don't read a lot of books about witches and magicks~ and whatnot, that whole sub-genre doesn't interest me much at all, but because I like the author I made the leap into her witchy novels a while back. As much as I usually enjoy Kelley Armstrong's books this is probably my least favourite. I can't exactly put my finger on what it is about it I don't like, I just know that at some point before I was halfway through it started to feel like a chore. The premise is fine, and I was aware...more
Kelly
The (slightly stalled) reread of 2014 continues! (The slightly stalled part is entirely due to real life, not the books. I <3 the books. Still. AGAIN! I <3 them!)

I really enjoyed meeting up with Eve Levine again. She rarely chooses the easy path and her choices don't always come down on the side of "good" (hey, from what I can see, some people need a good killing every once in a while!), but everything she does, she does with style. She's loyal (sometimes to a fault) and wily and she doesn...more
  • Blood Lines (World of the Lupi, #3)
  • Heat Stroke (Weather Warden, #2)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville #3)
  • Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian #2)
  • Pride (Shifters, #3)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • A Fantasy Medley
  • Darkling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #3)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)

Today, she continues to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves, while safely locked a...more
More about Kelley Armstrong...
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1) The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)

“You'll wrest a burning sword from an angel, but you're afraid of bats?"
"I'm not afraid of them. I just don't like them. They're...furry. Flying things shouldn't be furry. It's not right. And if I ever meet the Creator, I'm taking that one up with him."
"That I'd like to see. Your one and possible only chance to get the answer to every question in the universe, and you ask, 'Why are bats furry?'"
"I will. You just wait.”
233 likes
“A G-Rated story? About taking some deformed baby and locking him up? And if it was true, and this poor guy had been locked up in there for decades, and someone threw in a perfectly good woman, what the hell do you think he'd do with her? Play Parcheesi?” 51 likes