Start by marking “Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)

Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper #2)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,206 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
In Baghdad's Green Zone, an Iraqi scientist is murdered just before he can reveal the secret that Saddam Hussein took to his grave: the location of the Palace of Death—home to a devastating chemical weapon quietly developed by Islamic militants.

The assassination is the work of a mysterious sniper called Juba, who was trained by the British but now works with a twisted mast
Published December 1st 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published March 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Shot

Jeffrey
Apr 03, 2009 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: military thriller fans
Excellent sequel to Kill Zone, Dead Shot is about the Trident Team, a special black ops group who give support to Kyle Swanson, a masked sniper declared dead. The Trident Team is led by General Middleton, and has a cyber guy nicknamed Lizard and Sybel, a female officer, but its chief weapon is Swanson. The team is investigating a supposed WMD made by Iraq but stored in Iran. The novel is also about the hunt for JUBA, a formidable British born sniper who is working with the terrorists. The action ...more
Jo Lawler
Nov 12, 2011 Jo Lawler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
An excellent read. With the technical expertise of retired Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin, this is a well-researched, well-written story. The action is fast paced, well orchestrated and not at all predictable.

I recommend reading the series in order, this is #2, after Kill Zone. I also highly recommend reading Jack Coughlin's autobiography Shooter.

Kyle Swanson, once a Marine Corp sniper, is presumed dead, a cover story perpetuated by the political and military masterminds that believe sometimes it's
David Dalton
I did enjoy this 2nd thriller featuring Kyle Swanson. The authors ramped up the action level in this thriller. If you enjoy Brad Thor or Stephen Hunter thrillers (Bob Lee Swagger) then you feel right at home reading these thrillers.

I gave the book 4 stars because I felt the ending was a little weak compared to the rest of the novel. While I loved the book, the big showdown between two master snipers was better detailed in War of the Rats by David L. Robbins by David Robbins.
Wendy Koedoot
Oct 12, 2015 Wendy Koedoot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit is deel twee in de Kyle Swanson-serie.
In het vorige deel is Kyle officieel doodverklaard. Hij leeft onder een andere naam maar is nog steeds sluipschutter. Hij krijgt de opdracht naar Irak te gaan, waar een Iraakse wetenschapper is vermoord omdat hij op het punt stond belangrijke informatie te onthullen over een gruwelijk chemisch wapen… De dader is een mysterieuze sluipschutter, Juba geheten. Deze Juba is door de Britten getraind en nu dus het meesterbrein voor een terroristische organisati
Anja L
May 14, 2015 Anja L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH THIS BOOK WAS PERFECT!!! two snipers, one a terrorist, the other the hero :) I loved every page I read. and I have to say I fell in love with kyle "shake" swanson. he reminds me so much of ty from the "cut & run" series.
TJ Creamer
Oct 18, 2015 TJ Creamer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is part of a series. I've actually read Kill Zone, Dead Shot, and Clean Kill.

Simply put, Jack Coughlin does an EXCELLENT job of laying out the scenarios, the mental chess game, the risk/trade-space/options. NICELY suspenseful, so much so I have continued reading the series.

And I am looking forward to the 4th book in the series "An Act of Treason". Really nicely delivered, and the author does a super job of leading the reader through the adventures and tactics.
Mike McKenna
Sep 02, 2015 Mike McKenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, best one out of the seven I've read up to now, in fact it's that good, I've read it about four times, got me back into reading. Thank you jack coughlin
Dawn
Jul 15, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kyle Swanson is dead" but a leader of a secret team doing work for the White House. Juba is a British sniper who became a Muslim of Al Qada and help develop a poisonous gas that stuck to people as it killed them. After several attacks on Kyle is sent to get him.....

Not as much action as the first book. Will read the next ones though.
Jon
Aug 07, 2015 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the Kyle Swanson Sniper series. Bang. Gotcha. Not bang, bang, just one bang. All Kyle needs.
Matt
Feb 03, 2014 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found it to be a pretty slow starter and I almost gave up on reading it at 1 point!
It did pick up towards the middle and got pretty interesting and hard to put down but the characters just seem a little. 1 dimensional and lacking something. The last chapter of the book seems rushed I was hoping for a more detailed sniper shoot off along the lines if war of the rats or enemy at the gates!
I suppose you shouldn't expect books to be like others but the synopsis and other write ups gave that impressi
Wayne
Dec 27, 2013 Wayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Wayne by: Goodreads
This was the second Jack Coughlin book with Marine sniper Kyle Swanson as the lead character. In this book a deranged terrorist who was in fact of British heritage got his hands on the formula for a powerful chemical weapon of mass destruction. He in fact used it with devastating effectiveness and marketed it to the highest bidder, of which thee were many. Kyle Swanson became hot on his trail and this terrorist, called Juba knew so. Juba was also an accomplished crack sniper. The trail is an exc ...more
Alex Flores
Apr 21, 2014 Alex Flores rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid second book in the series. Love this series. Fun reading.
Trevin
Jan 23, 2014 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read and series.
Chris
Aug 02, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly dark nemesis in Juba, a man you love to hate, is always one step ahead of the legally deceased Gunny Swanson. At times realistic and other times totally unrealistic I thoroughly enjoyed this page turner. This book is an integration of a Tom Clancy novel with a Web Griffin novel. Waiting for the movie on this one. Just like "Shooter," this would be a hit if made right.
Paul Williams
May 15, 2014 Paul Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had some fluff but gets really intense toward the end
Ryan Burt
Good book. Not great. Although since it was written by an ex marine it made me think the stuff that happened in it was closer to reality then normal books of similar styles. One of the main reasons I didn't love the book was I never really liked the main character. I think this is the second book in the serious so that might be my problem.
Ciiku
Jul 30, 2012 Ciiku rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book, much better than the first one. I loved the pace, though not too keen on the graphic depictions. Juba was the breakout star for me,the villain always makes a book better. I'm glad he didn't die and look forward for the next time he and Jack will slug it out, hopefully, face to face.
Rob
Apr 17, 2009 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Officially declared dead at the end of Jack Coughlin's first book, Kill Zone, Kyle Swanson, top USMC sniper now works for Trident. It's a super secret para-military group reporting only to the president - the group's primary mission is hunting down terrorists and other bad guys.
Samuel
Mar 09, 2012 Samuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good read. As a vietnam error Force Recon Marine I appreciate the attention to technical details but I would like to see a bit more quiet, confident, assured humility, than the unnecessary macho bravado that comes out time to time. That being said, I will read the next book.
Mark
Apr 20, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent thriller that pits two enemies against each other. When a rogue, Islamic terrorists attempts to bring a terrorist plot to the United States, Kyle Swanson is called in to stop the plot. The action is great. The characters are well developed. Worth reading for enjoyment.
Kenny Paton
Mar 09, 2014 Kenny Paton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable hokum. In some ways implausible yet it could have been snatched from the newspapers. For fans of Vince Flynn, Brad Thor etc.
Robert
Apr 20, 2013 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, in-itunes, war
Pretty good story although a little short at 6:25. Time went fast as the story moved right along; good narrator, good writer. Kyle Swanson, USMC sniper is a reoccurring character in Coughlin's books. I liked it and look for other books by Coughlin.
Matthew Cousens
Jan 22, 2014 Matthew Cousens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x_kyle-swanson
Great military thriller with authentic action as you follow the "good guy" sniper in his quest to eliminate the "bad guy" sniper. Well-written and a pleasure to read. I will definitely keep reading this series.
Tom Armstrong
Coughlin really nails the details about snipers and everything they go through. The book would have gotten a fourth star, but it was little thin. Overall, I enjoyed and will look for more by Jack Coughlin
Tyler
Apr 21, 2013 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it real slow for a good chunk of the book and I had a difficult time getting into it. But eventually it did pick up and at the end it was hard to put down. I just wish the whole book was like that.
Christina
I am thoroughly enjoying this series so far. Lots of action and interesting military info and the characters are rounded and believable. Recommend for anyone who likes sniper books.
Paul
Oct 02, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Kyle Swanson book!!! I could not put it down. Jack Coughlin writing is well done and intriguing. I am buying the next book in line "Clean Kill" right now!!!
Dave
Jul 20, 2009 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shoot the terrorists, before they do bad things...unfortunately this was after they did bad things. May be more real than other "get the terrorist books".
  • Reflexive Fire
  • Fair Game (Dan Shepherd, #8)
  • The Tide (The Tide Series, #1)
  • Dragon Sim-13 (The Green Berets, #2)
  • Angels of Wrath (Larry Bond's First Team, #2)
  • Death of Empires (Arisen #7)
  • Callsign: King (Jack Sigler) (Chess Team, #1)
  • FAST: A Military Thriller (F.A.S.T. Series, #1)
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • The Reckoning
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • PRIMAL Unleashed (PRIMAL, #2)
  • MAC WALKER'S 40,000 FEET
  • Nemesis (Arisen, #8.5)
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
  • Bloodshot, Vol 3: Harbinger Wars
  • Spree (Codename: Chandler #2)
  • Slaughterhouse (The Retreat #2)
132058
Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin’s autobiography, Shooter, describes his experiences as the top-ranked marine sniper in the Iraq War.

Coughlin is also the author, with Donald A. Davis, of the Kyle Swanson Sniper Novels: Kill Zone, Dead Shot, Clean Kill, and An Act of Treason.

Coughlin grew up in Waltham, Massachusetts, and joined the Marines when he was 19. He served with the Marines during the drive to
More about Jack Coughlin...

Kyle Swanson Sniper (9 books)
  • Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)
  • Clean Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #3)
  • An Act of Treason (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #4)
  • Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #5)
  • Time to Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #6)
  • On Scope (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #7)
  • Night of the Cobra (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #8)
  • Long Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #9)