The Prague Golem

The Prague Golem

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Prague has been one of the most significant towns of European Judaism for many centuries. The stories about the wise Rabbi Loew, the Golem and wealthy Mordecai Maisel allow us to visualize the long lost world of the Jewish Prague. Beautifully illustrated in black-and-white.
Paperback
Published 2007 by Vitalis (first published January 1st 2000)

Shane
Quaint short stories about the Jews in the Prague Ghetto. The Prague Jews are portrayed as a people living on the edge, waiting for the next disaster to label them the perpetrators and face a pogrom. They can only rely on a benevolent Czech ruler sitting up in Prague Castle on the hill (he is not always benevolent and had his fits and burps too), magic, dreams, Golem's and other mystical happenings to guide and protect them.

The prophet Elijah pays frequent visits and Rabbis are astute and calcul...more
David Sarkies
I was wondering around the Prague castle when I realised that I needed to pick up so souveniers from friends back home in Australia so I decided to wonder into one of the shops there (and to be honest with you, I have seen more sovenier shops in one city in Europe that I have seen in my entire life in Australia. We Australians really have no concept of mass tourism). Anyway, a friend of mine wanted something arcane, and to be honest with you, I did not realise that you could get any more arcane...more
Gemski
This is a really interesting insight into some of the most important legends of the early Jewish community in the Prague ghetto.
I think that the stories are told in too much of a simplistic way - they are more like matter-of-fact recounts of stories than stories told with a really well written narrative. I imagine that these stories have been translated directly without being reworked, which could explain the tone of them.
Nonetheless, I'd recommended this to anyone who is interested in Prague o...more
Angie Schoch
If you can, get this edition! The illustrations are gorgeous, especially those of the Prague cemetery(reminiscent of Gustave Dore's artwork accompanying Milton's Paradise Lost). Some tales are well known, and they are told in simple linguistic translation with little embellishment. Others were surprise to me, such as the tale of a man too poor to provide for his family during Passover, and has a dead monkey with a belly full of ducats thrown through his window!
All in all, a fun and very quick re...more
Evan
cool stories...especially if you're a wanna be jew like me
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Marco
Marco marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Gero
Gero added it
Feb 16, 2014
Daniele
Daniele marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
James Benson
James Benson marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Johanna Courchaine
Johanna Courchaine marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Philip
Philip added it
Dec 16, 2013
Giancarlo Azzolin
Giancarlo Azzolin marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Sara Ramsey
Sara Ramsey marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Alfonso
Alfonso marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013