Start by marking “The Prague Golem” as Want to Read:
The Prague Golem

The Prague Golem

Prague has been one of the most significant towns of European Judaism for many centuries. The stories about the wise Rabbi Loew, the Golem and wealthy Mordecai Maisel allow us to visualize the long lost world of the Jewish Prague. Beautifully illustrated in black-and-white.
Paperback
Published 2007 by Vitalis (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Prague Golem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prague Golem

David Sarkies
Sep 26, 2011 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The Jews of Prague
28 September 2011

I was wondering around the Prague Castle when I realised that I needed to pick up some souvenirs for friends back home in Australia so I decided to wonder into one of the shops there (and to be honest with you, I have seen more souvenir shops in one city in Europe that I have seen in my entire life in Australia - we Australians really have no concept of mass tourism). Anyway, a friend of mine wanted something arcane, and to be honest with you, I did not realis
Irene Lazlo
Me ha gustado mucho esta colección de leyendas de los judíos de Praga. A diferencia de lo que el título pueda sugerir, apenas hay un par o tres de relatos en los que aparece el Golem. Aparece la historia de cómo llegó a Praga la comunidad judía, se habla de algunos personajes semi legendarios como Meisel o el rabino Löw, se habla del Golem y de algunos eventos que ocurrieron en la ciudad.
Me gusta cómo las historias mezclan lo legendario con lo histórico y he aprendido bastante de la cultura judí
Shane
Apr 13, 2009 Shane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quaint short stories about the Jews in the Prague Ghetto. The Prague Jews are portrayed as a people living on the edge, waiting for the next disaster to label them the perpetrators and face a pogrom. They can only rely on a benevolent Czech ruler sitting up in Prague Castle on the hill (he is not always benevolent and had his fits and burps too), magic, dreams, Golem's and other mystical happenings to guide and protect them.

The prophet Elijah pays frequent visits and Rabbis are astute and calcul
Cintia Andrade
Comprei esse livrinho em Praga e foi bem interessante ler histórias e lendas sobre lugares que eu visitei e pessoas homenageadas no bairro judeu (Josefov), a sinagoga Velha-Nova, a rua Pinkas, o rabino Loew e outros.
Philipp Hartmann
Feb 19, 2017 Philipp Hartmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection of tales about the Jewish community of Prague. Despite the title, only a few stories are actually about the Golem. However, it is quite interesting to read these short tales and learn something about Jewish culture - especially if you have been to Prague, you may recognise some of the places mentioned in the stories.
All in all, it's quite an entertaining collection, but nothing special. I would recommend it if you're interested in Jewish culture, if you have been to Prague and
Fabio
Jun 01, 2017 Fabio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jewish mythology is delightful in its specificity. It is so tied to particular spaces and people it's a joy to read, particularly if you have the good fortune of visiting the places they are talking about first hand. In this little tome you can learn about all sorts of stories specific to the Prague Jewish Ghetto, the most famous of which is of course Rabbi Loew's Golem, but also Mordecai Maisel's good fortune (which funded the Maisel Synagogue) , the Piska gold of Passover (after which the Pisk ...more
Michael
This is a slim collection of folktales about the Jewish community of old Prague. It's a bit oversold as a book about the Prague Golem - the creature appears in only 4 of the tales, and doesn't do much when he does appear. Nevertheless, there's a bit of interest here for the historical or folk-tale minded, as it covers the (legendary) origins of the Jews in Prague, the founding of the Old-New Synagogue, and the exploits of legendary Rabbi Loew, including his tragic cat-and-mouse game with Death.

A
Angie Schoch
Aug 24, 2013 Angie Schoch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you can, get this edition! The illustrations are gorgeous, especially those of the Prague cemetery(reminiscent of Gustave Dore's artwork accompanying Milton's Paradise Lost). Some tales are well known, and they are told in simple linguistic translation with little embellishment. Others were surprise to me, such as the tale of a man too poor to provide for his family during Passover, and has a dead monkey with a belly full of ducats thrown through his window!
All in all, a fun and very quick re
Gemski
Jan 02, 2012 Gemski rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really interesting insight into some of the most important legends of the early Jewish community in the Prague ghetto.
I think that the stories are told in too much of a simplistic way - they are more like matter-of-fact recounts of stories than stories told with a really well written narrative. I imagine that these stories have been translated directly without being reworked, which could explain the tone of them.
Nonetheless, I'd recommended this to anyone who is interested in Prague o
Suhail
Jun 27, 2016 Suhail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Prague Golem offers a window into the lost community of Prague Jews. It's an interesting read which gives insight into the social and political world of the Ghetto as far back as the 8th century. As with all stories of this age, legend and historical facts are interwoven to be almost indistinguishable. However the tales are charming and the themes (honesty, humbleness, faith, perseverance) are timeless. I took my time reading it but you could easily finish it in one sitting.
Tami
Oct 11, 2015 Tami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I picked this book up years ago while visiting Prague and never have made the time to read it. I'm glad I waited because some of the Rabbis and other people have been mentioned in other books I have read, so the short stories seemed a bit more interesting. I would classify most of the stories as Jewish folk tales, but they were still interesting to read.
Francisco Becerra
Jul 22, 2015 Francisco Becerra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice short story collection about the origins and legends of the Prague guetto. Of special note are those stories related to the legendary rabbi Löw, that help to understand his almost mythical status as creator of the golem (and how the rite is done is also depicted!). A very nice read.
Roberta
A small and not particularly organised or well-linked collection of Prague myths, focused around the Jewish population and ghetto there. The golem takes all of 4 pages and there is very little detail, but a whole lot of names thrown in.
Gijs
Aug 30, 2016 Gijs rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german
Verhalen over en van de Joden uit Praag. Prettig leesbare folklore. Niet heel bijzonder, maar wel vermakelijk.
Meri
Meri rated it really liked it
May 17, 2012
Yonathan Antonio
Yonathan Antonio rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2017
Nuria
Nuria rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2017
Josip Serdarevic
Josip Serdarevic rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Erik Moth
Erik Moth rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Saga
Saga rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2011
Stephen Lavelle
Stephen Lavelle rated it it was ok
May 24, 2015
Guy
Guy rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Karol Gajewicz
Karol Gajewicz rated it liked it
May 24, 2017
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2012
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Ioana Voinescu
Ioana Voinescu rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Gregori Paveck
Gregori Paveck rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2011