Start by marking “Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)

Dead Pan (Daphne Martin Mystery #2)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  49 reviews
For the second time in as many months, Daphne Martin finds herself telling a police officer, “I just delivered the cake.”

Several people became sick at Brea Ridge Pharmaceuticals’ annual holiday party for its employees, and one–Fred Duncan–died. Fred’s mother insists on Daphne’s help in learning why Fred died; and since none of the food has yet been exonorated, Daphne feels
Published November 1st 2009 by Bell Bridge Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Pan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Pan

The Fallen Snow by John J.  KelleyShe's My Dad by Iolanthe WoulffMurder With Peacocks by Donna AndrewsBe Still My Soul by Joanne BischofBoat Girl by Melanie Neale
Books Set in Virginia
22nd out of 53 books — 27 voters
Wedding Tiers by Trisha AshleyMy Big Fat Supernatural Wedding by P.N. ElrodBy Invitation Only by Jodi Della FeminaAlways the Baker, Never the Bride by Sandra D. BrickerBridesmaids by Jane Costello
Wedding Cake Covers
21st out of 31 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea
Katherine
This is the second book in the Daphne Martin mystery series which offer a fun blend of mystery and cake decorating. I'd probably prefer giving it 2 1/2 stars because while I do like the idea it barely seemed to get going before it wrapped up. Very little suspense, sweet but simply too short.
Helen Thompson
Enjoyed the first book, but this second one was a big disappointment. It begins well, but suddenly wraps up. We know who the murderer was, but not how or why she committed the murders.
Darlene
This was a fun mystery. A quick read and the second book in the Daphne Martin mystery. You also get a couple of free recipes in the back.
Alex
I like this series with some reservations. I appreciate that the small Southern town isn't cloying, that the characters aren't too ideal, and that the mysteries aren't too easy to solve. I like the baking scenes. This one was a bit uneven: more time could have been spent developing the main mystery. I would have dropped the Rock Band subplot (is that what that game is called?) and used those scenes to develop the suspects. I'll probably read the next because the series is pleasant. I'll wait for ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Dead Pan by Gayle Trent is a 'cozy mystery' about a woman, Daphne Martin, the amateur sleuth, who had solved the murder of Yodel Watson, a mean gossip, a few months before. She is asked to look into the death of Fred Duncan by his cousin Fran and her mother. As she tries to find out what happened to Fred she finds out more than she really wanted to know and the truth will put her in danger.

The story has a fun group of characters, Daphne's sister Violet, wants Daphne to test drive a video guitar
Bookmom
The second book in the Daphne Martin Cake Decorating Mysteries puts Daphne into the uncomfortable situation of investigating the death of an acquaintance. She'd been at the hospital visiting when Fred passed away and his mother begs Daphne for help since she has experience at this type of thing. Of course her own family would prefer that she stayed out of it. More than this initial mystery is solved in this story.

A large part of the story is built around Daphne's business of making and decoratin
Lori
I am a fan of entertaining and intriguing mysteries and author Gayle Trent does not disappoint with Dead Pan, the second installment in her "cake decorating" series.

Heroine Daphne Martin returns and is the cake decorator of the series title. She is spunky, fearless and seemingly in the wrong place at the wrong time, leading her into part-time sleuthing duties after the unfortunate Fred Duncan dies after attending a party that featured one of Daphne's prized cakes. A party in which a handful of
Marybeth Mank
I acquired this book as a free Kindle download several months ago. I finally opened this past weekend. The first few pages filled me with doubt, proving once again that you should never judge a book by its cover (or its first few pages!). Once I got into the storyline and the characters, I couldn't put my tablet down...LOL!

The plot was well developed with all sorts of twists and tuns as well as red herrings, and the final outcome was not at all expected. I liked the cultural icon touches (i.e. h
Mary  (Biblophile)
Just couldn't get into this book. Too much of nothing. Excruciating details that never ended and didn't add to the story....such as it was.
Gretchen
This is the second of a series about a woman who bakes and decorates cakes out of her home for a living. This one is about a party at a pharmeceudical company during which everyone got sick with a bacteria and the doctors at the lab gave them a new miracle drug that cured them quickly except for one person who died. Daphne looks into the death of Fred, the bagger at her grocery store. She also investigates an accident he was in the year before which gave him brain damage.
I like the characters
Mary-kaye
I'm actually enjoying reading this series. I like how baking and murder are mixed together.
Annie Fyfe
Dead Pan was a fun quick read with a little holiday flavor mixed in. I enjoyed the writing and the characters, especially the main girl. I hadn't read the previous book in the series but I had no trouble figuring out who was who and keeping up with the storyline. I do think there was a little too much time before the plot started unfolding and I wanted some things to happen a little quicker between the characters. But overall a very fun light book that I would recommend to anyone who is in the m ...more
Michele
This is the second in Gayle Trent's cozy mystery series....you can see my review to the first book, Murder Takes the Cake, for a more in depth review of the series.

The second book shows, in my opinion, much improvement with this author, as if she is starting to come into her own here. The characters are becoming very endearing and their individual personalities are really starting to shine through.

These books are great for a short read in between your Proust and Faulkner!
Donna
This was a VERY light and forgettable read on a trip. But the whole book was worth it for the following quote:

"The proprietor was sitting in a rocking chair by the window with a space heater at her side and a long green. . .something. . .she was crocheting. For some reason, the heavy woman with her squinting black eyes and her gray hair pulled into a bun reminded me of Madame Defarge. That was ridiculous, of course; Madame Defarge was a knitter, not a crocheter."
Cory
Reading this second book in a series reminded me what I didn't like about the first book--namely, the incessant detail about things that I don't particularly care about. I get it . . . you're a cake decorator! I don't need a lesson in making frosting roses every time you make them! Also, there were enough typos and misused words in this volume to make me think "Wait! Was this self-published??!" I don't think I'll read the next one.
Angie
Jan 09, 2011 Angie added it
Shelves: read-but-unowned
As another reviewer said, I also received this as an advanced reader's copy, but unexpectedly received it as a .pdf. I don't remember that being mentioned as the format, b/c I would have never requested it. It's likely I'll never get around to reading this as I don't have a handheld reader and have no interest in reading it off my computer when I'm away from work. Incredibly frustrating and disappointing!
Barbara
I finished this book a couple of days ago. It left such an impression with me that I had trouble remembering "who dunnit". I enjoy cake decorating and thought I'd like a mystery that involved that profession. I felt the story was weak and ended way too quickly. I felt some of the characters could have been developed more and the action given more depth. It is a quick, fun read. I guess I was hoping for more.
Carol
Second in the series. Daphne is a cake decorator/baker, but she can't stop getting involved in "questionable murder" investigations. There seems to be a run of dead bodies around the small town she has recently move to. (her home town)It is a fun read, as opposed to an intense murder mystery. I enjoy the first one in the series as well as this one. If you want a fun, fast read, this is the series.
Mary
This was a pretty good read. I like this series it is easy reading and fast paced.
Babs
Feb 26, 2010 Babs rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries
Shelves: mysteries
I enjoyed this 2nd book just as much as the first. It was nice to see more of Daphne and Ben and a few new characters at that. Daphne tires not to get involved in the recent case of a death of a friend, but she can't help herself. The recipes are worth the read as well for some yummy sweets.
Amanda
Of the 3 I've read I definitely liked this one the least - glad it was short!
Nancy H
I liked this book mostly for the characters. I thought the plot of "Murder Takes the Cake" was better, but I will definitely read more by this author....although reading these books makes me want to eat cake.....or cupcakes....or cookies....
Maureen Mullis
Such a fun book. I love Trent's writing style and this was a great mystery. I was glad to see the characters from the first book back. Daphne is fun, the cake decorating part of the book is fun too. I'm looking forward to the next book!
Lillie
This is a cozy mystery with no graphic sex or violence or bad language. I appreciate that, and the mystery was good. People who are interested in cake decorating will probably really enjoy this series.
Marsha
UNSATIFYING! There was a lot of potential, but most was un-realized.
Questions that were specifically pointed out were subsequently totally ignored and unanswered. Very disappointing!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was a nice book with a good mystery and likable characters. The culprit surprised me but made sense once revealed. I'm interested in awaiting Ms. Trent's next book.
Linda
Dead pan was a fun read with a little bit of Christmas thrown in. If you like entertaining, light mysteries, this one is worth reading. I enjoyed it!
Elizabeth Clark
The author has too much irrelevant detail. Almost one fourth of the book is the recipes (only two) and first chapters of other books from the publisher.
Billy Zayac
A good, quick read.... Though I was a little disappointed that it ended a bit quicker than I'd thought. Still a fun series, though!
  • Cut, Crop & Die (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #2)
  • Bingo Barge Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #1)
  • Murder Over Easy
  • If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1)
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • California Schemin' (A Bree MacGowan Mystery #2)
  • Death By A HoneyBee (Josiah Reynolds Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder At The Rocks (A Fitzjohn Mystery, #2)
  • Chili Con Corpses (A Supper Club Mystery, #3)
  • Deadly Gamble (A Charlie Parker Mystery #1)
  • Death of the Couch Potato's Wife
  • September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5)
  • Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • Mew Is for Murder (Theda Krakow Mystery #1)
  • Cupcakes, Sales, and Cocktails (Annie Graceland Mystery, #2)
  • The Grave Gourmet (Capucine Culinary Mystery, #1)
aka Holly Jordan, Amanda Lee.

Gayle is a Southwest Virginia based author who is working on the Daphne Martin Cake Decorating Mystery series. The first book in the series, MURDER TAKES THE CAKE tells the story of Daphne Martin, a forty-year-old divorcee who returns to her fictional hometown of Brea Ridge, Virginia to start her life over. She has left behind an ex-husband who is in prison for an atte
More about Gayle Trent...
Murder Takes the Cake (Daphne Martin, #1) Killer Sweet Tooth: A Daphne Martin Cake Mystery Battered to Death Between a Clutch and a Hard Place (Myrtle Crumb, #1) Claus of Death (Myrtle Crumb #3)