Start by marking “Biblical Eldership” as Want to Read:
Biblical Eldership

Biblical Eldership

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  758 ratings  ·  49 reviews
In order to define biblical eldership, we must go back to the only God-given, authoritative source, the text of Holy Scripture. Church history demonstrates the disastrous consequences of drifting from the light of Scripture. This book fulfills the need for an in-depth study on the topic, based in the vast treasure of God's Word.
Published November 5th 2003 by Lewis & Roth Publishers (first published July 28th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Biblical Eldership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biblical Eldership

Greg
This is a great book on Biblical Eldership. The author has done a lot of research and study into this topic from numerous sources, there is a 28 page bibliography included for all those who read footnotes :-)

Strauch shows without a doubt how a Biblically based Christian eldership should function, justifying the books subtitle "An Urgent Call To Restore Biblical Church Leadership", in an age where it seems that anything "new" or "edgy" is best, Strauch draws us back to the Bible and shows why we
Peter N.
An excellent basic overview of the officer of elder. The strength of the book is the exegesis of various passages, such as I Timothy 3, 5 and Titus 1 on the office of elder. I also appreciated his sections on Acts 15, James 5:13-18 and Hebrews 13:17. I did not necessarily agree with all his conclusions, but his work on these passages provided a lot of food for thought. I would recommend it to anyone interested in being an elder.

I had two questions that he did not answer well. First, how much of
Sean
In "Biblical Eldership", Alexander Strauch convincingly argues for a return to a New Testament-based model for church governance. Strauch provides a close reading of the New Testament texts that refer to church leadership (particularly in Acts, 1st Timothy, Titus, and James). From these texts, Strauch concludes that churches should be run by a group of mature, godly Christian men who are selected based on the qualifications provided in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1. Certain of these pastor-elders with ...more
Pat
Sep 27, 2009 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elders, pastors and nominating committees
A good book although the author is much more theologically conservative than I am. Nevertheless, he has good insight on the eldership in the Protestant church and I learned a lot. The book was actually an encouragement. One area in which I feel he hit the nail on the head was with the idea of the super pastor. "There is a dark side to the super-pastor concept...many churches are lead by highly independent, domineering, egotistical men who desperately need accountability and balance. Furthermore, ...more
Emmanuel Boston
Mar 25, 2012 Emmanuel Boston rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those pursuing pastoral ministry
Recommended to Emmanuel by: Pastor Dave Ley
Shelves: ecclesiology
Alexander Strauch writes an easy-to read biblical defense of eldership. The style is simple and easy to follow, though it is most helpful to read with a Bible open alongside for quick-reference as some thoughts can get clouded without seeing the biblical text right in front of you.

Book thesis: This book is intended to help clarify the biblical doctrine of eldership.
Thesis supported?
Yes, in part. There are some unprecedented conclusions, and some answers informed by personal bias rather than soli
Joshua D.
I'm not doing this review justice at all because I'm short on time, but here is my quick take. Zooming in on the pastoral work of individual elders, I think Strauch gives an excellent treatment of the Biblical texts. In particular, this book is helpful in liberating the idea of eldership from a "board of directors" kind of mentality, and pushing churches to think of their elders as shepherds and pastors. So that I liked.

But zooming out, I thought Strauch's ecclesiology was pretty weak. He believ
Lindsay Kennedy
This is an excerpt. The full review can be found here:

Pastor/elders will of course profit greatly from this book, but even the churchgoer would benefit from understanding the elder's role and all the Scripture has to say about it - after all, the majority of the NT letters were written to the churches, not only the elders. Some will disagree with Strauch more than others dependent upon their view of church polity, but all could benefit from his exegesis an
Straightforward presentation. But within this text are a couple of ideas that cause me to pause - to consider why I believe what I believe. I'll keep pondering some ideas presented here.

For example: Strauch suggests that there shouldn't be a designated number of elders - but rather those who desire, are qualified, and examined should serve. That the number will providentially expand and contract.
Brian Watson
Strauch makes a case for having a plurality of elders. He also goes through all of the New Testament passages that discuss pastors/elders/overseers. Strauch deals with the biblical texts very carefully, not insisting on an ecclesiastical tradition, but instead explaining God's Word.
Matt Carpenter
This book is a great explanation of why multiple elders are the biblical model of the church. There are a few things the author is too adamant on that are more informed by tradition than Scripture, but on the whole it is a sound corrective to the out of control congregational polity many churches practice today.

The first portion is topical and informs you of the type of leadership Scripture calls for in an elder. The rest of the book is biblical exegesis of the New Testament passages that refer
Rock Rockwell
Oct 07, 2007 Rock Rockwell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Serious Study on Church Leadership
I read this book back in Bible College and re-read it recently to highten my awareness and convictions of biblical leadership. Elders are mainly addressed biblically, but with all the ideas of "church" roaming around, and the unhealthy manner in which "leaders" lead, it was great to review once again this month (Oct. 2007). I am presently reading and re-reading many books on "the church" and "church leadership" in order to have stronger convictions in these areas based on God's truth rather than ...more
Josh Miller
This book was very helpful for me in evaluating my own congregation's view of church governance. Coming from a traditional Southern Baptist background with the implied authority of a Single Pastor and a Deacon Board, Strauch has helped me see the necessity of leading our church in changing our governance to the biblical model of a plurality of elders. His book on Deacons (Minister of Mercy: The NT Deacon) was also very helpful in evaluating the true responsibility and role of the Deacon body wit ...more
Calvin
This is a very thorough study of the whole area of church leadership. It is well grounded in scripture throughout and brings clarity to many issues. It is fair handed even though the author clearly comes from a certain tradition and holds to a fixed non-clergy position. I'll keep this one on the shelf and most likely will use it to refer to in the future. Not a book to be dismissed. A good case for plurality of eldership is floated, and for a 'first among equals' position in terms of teaching/pr ...more
Jason
I still have plenty of books to read regarding eldership so I can't quite say this is the best book on the subject. That said, I found this book to be very eye-opening regarding the surprising clarity with which the Scriptures speak about the men God intends to shepherd his church and how those elders are to lead. This book helped bring me to conviction on some ecclesiological issues I had been on the fence about, and as such this book may prove to be life changing.
Mike E.
A good foundational book for pastors/elders. This book will help elders to see their role as shepherds of souls in their congregation. Strauch deals with all of the qualifications in an illuminating way. His treatment of "husband of one wife" falls short. He does not present all of the interpretive options nor does he consider the relationship of gospel passages that deal with marriage/divorce and how they relate to "husband of one wife" in 1 Tim 3 and Titus.
Nate
The only complaint with this book is that Strauch is quite stern on things that he should probably be a little more relaxed on. I understand that he is trying to get his very minority view on eldership across, but at times comes off angry rather helpful. I agree with his outcomes.

I also read the book by using the workbook, and I did not like the way that the workbook has the reader jumping around rather than just reading the book like normal.
CJ Bowen
Helpful and clear lay-level work on eldership. Strauch capably though not always cogently establishes that the Bible expects churches to be governed by a plurality of male elders, who are to function as servants and shepherds. His hyper-sensitivity to anything priestly or high-church is curious, and leads him astray on some points, but in the main, this is a highly useful introductory text.
David
IMHO, one of the better books arguing for multiple eldership in the church. He deals with key texts in the discussion/debate and handles them quite well. While I do not necessarily agree with his conclusion that all elders are “equal,” (I like Dever’s conclusions on this matter better, A Display of God's Glory) it is a well-researched book and worthy of your consideration.
Eric
Great guide for any Christian and especially for the prospective elder on what it means to live out Biblical Eldership. The organization of the book to the study guide is a little bit all over the place, but that may be by design. I find myself tracking down and reading much more than is necessary to complete a given chapter or question. Over all it is a great resource.
Thomas
I believe that Strauch has written a book that I will return to over and over again to reference exactly what the role of the Elder is. In a day and age where this seems to be confusing topic (mainly due to a lack of knowledge in bible) Strauch brings together all the pieces and lays them out on the table. Very conservative, well put and to the point.
Bo Liles
I thought this was a well researched and thoughtfully laid out study on biblical eldership. I may not have agreed with the author on every point but I do see the value in what he had to say. The line between literal and contextual understanding of scripture is a difficult one to define, and the author succeeds were many have failed.
Tim Kimberley
Solid book. A must read if you're currently a church elder or aspiring to be one.
Ryan Linkous
This book sums up the biblical call of the pastor nicely although it's clumsy and repetitive at times. He really doesn't like evangelical feminism.
Sean Higgins
Read through this with the Men to Men group at our church. The standard book on eldership. Had some great discussion about the qualifications and responsibilities of elders. Highly recommended for every man who shepherds his family even if he never takes a shepherding role in the church.
Robin Koshy
magnum opus on elders in a local church. It functions like a textbook. An excellent resource.
Wes
Excellent! Should be required reading for all church leaders. Absolutely great! No wonder all the big hitters recommend it. Will now put it on the reference shelf, for future use. Might even lead our elders in a discussion on what this book brings up.
Job Dalomba
Very good. A definite return to book. I won't give it 5 stars because its grid is elder rule. Since I am essentially elder led Congregationalist I won't give it 5 stars, but it's as close of a 5 star book on eldership as you can get.
Seth Channell
Exhaustive treatment of Scriptures dealing with elders. He argues for the church to be cared for by a group of spiritually qualified men. My only complaint: a bit dry and repetitive.
Jeremy
This book should be a must read for any one thinking about, or already involved in, church leadership...it really wouldn't be bad for any congregation member either.
Dylan Brobst
This is an amazing book to help church leadership understand what the bible says about being leaders instead of following what the world dictates is a leader.
  • The Shepherd Leader, Achieving Effective Shepherding in Your Church
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • Preaching and Preachers
  • Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon
  • Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission
  • On Being a Pastor: Understanding Our Calling and Work
The New Testament Deacon: The Church's Minister of Mercy The Hospitality Commands: Building Loving Christian Community: Building Bridges to Friends and Neighbors Leading With Love If You Bite & Devour One Another Love or Die: Christ's Wake-Up Call to the Church

“When pride comes, then comes dishonor, but with the humble is wisdom” (Prov. 11:2;” 0 likes
“If we want to understand Christian elders and their work, we must understand the biblical imagery of shepherding. As keepers of sheep, New Testament elders are to protect, feed, lead, and care for the flock’s many practical needs.” 0 likes