Start by marking “The Vigilantes (Badge of Honor, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Vigilantes (Badge of Honor, #10)

The Vigilantes (Badge of Honor #10)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,358 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
The dramatic new novel in Griffin's New York Times- bestselling chronicle of the Philadelphia police force.

There's a sudden spike in murders in Philadelphia, but no one seems to mind much because the victims all seem to be lowlifes. The more Homicide Sergeant Matthew Payne investigates, however, the more he gets a bad feeling-one that only gets worse when vigilante grou
Published August 10th 2010 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Vigilantes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vigilantes

Jerome
Jul 05, 2012 Jerome rated it did not like it
The action revolves around Matt Payne, his driving around talking to people about talking to other people, his many hours at the task force command center 'to look at evidence' when he is really checking out all the cute screen savers and pointer apps. Worst of all, Matt's constant text messages to his girl friend.

'Why is this so bad?' you may ask--- because it is written like a parody of Griffin's best books. Every single line reads false, every plot point is stupid and poorly thought out, and
Btetlow
Feb 05, 2011 Btetlow rated it did not like it
I'm sorry but must be in the top 5 worst books I have ever finished.

Poorly written, no plot that I could find, and the "thought bubble" and "news clippings" way of filling in back ground information nearly drove me insane.

I have no idea why half the characters in the book were even mentioned? His girlfriend served no purpose to the story (or him it would seem). The Russian? Why was he there? It was woeful.

No plot, no linking of events, no substance, no ending so to speak of. Why did I keep readi
Andy
Jul 10, 2012 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Average, probably the weakest in the Badge Of Honor series. It seemed to me that the book didn't know where it was going at times....and where is Peter Wohl? I guess they just dropped his character from the earlier books. I hope the next in this series picks up the pace some.
Sean
Aug 18, 2011 Sean rated it did not like it
Loved this series when it started. Tailed off a bit when brought into "present time". This last one was a stinker though. I really think his son is writing these books and he's just adding his name to them. At least that is what I hope...
Jmrathbone
Sep 17, 2010 Jmrathbone rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to another in the Badge of Honor series, but this one wasn't up to previous standards.
Will
Jun 12, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing
The Pop-N-Drop Vigilante. A cancer-ridden FedEx driver who lost his daughter in a roophy date rape murder determines to use his final days to clean up as many deviant sex crime perpetrators as possible, and sets the PPD in a frenzy along the way. Matt Payne is given the Task Force to stop the vigilante, but is thwarted by a wealthy bereaved businessman who offers ten large rewards for bringing in villains. As the death toll rises, Matt tries desperately not to fuck up the relationship he has wit ...more
Sue Mattocks
Feb 09, 2015 Sue Mattocks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love web griffin

Started reading the Corps books when they first came out. The authors never fail to enthrall me! Keep it up!
Skeetor
3+ It would've scored a 4 except for the boring interludes of Matt's feelings for his girlfriend. I'll definitely try another book in this series.
Susan Smith
Feb 16, 2016 Susan Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: badge-of-honor
I read everything WEB Griffin writes, mainly because he keeps his characters consistent and you know each series will be a good read.
Robert Knorr
Aug 24, 2016 Robert Knorr rated it liked it
Not the best in the series, but good. Hoping that the next lives up to the normal high standard of excitement, and thrills.
Sirena Solange
Jan 18, 2014 Sirena Solange rated it did not like it
Crime novel with extremely shallow characters. Considering this book was about rape and murder then characters lacked depth, emotion and passion. This one had also a very low entertainment value, it wasn't intriguing now captivating. I'd say skip it unless you really have nothing else to read.
Leo
Oct 15, 2010 Leo rated it it was ok
Shelves: police
Missmath144
Dec 22, 2015 Missmath144 rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder, audio, action, crime
I liked the way everything tied together neatly in the end.
Jordan Mowry
Feb 06, 2016 Jordan Mowry rated it liked it
Mah, average book. It wasn't that amazing of a read.
Frank Mueller
Couldn't get into it. I stopped after the first 100 pages
Meakin
Jun 12, 2014 Meakin rated it liked it
Shelves: w-e-b-griffin
It was okay. Not one of griffins best
Leslie
Jul 10, 2013 Leslie rated it liked it
Shelves: cops, philly
Apparently I read this book in 2011. It didn't have much of an impact upon me because a few weeks ago (June 2013) I couldn't remember any more than the cover. After a search of my bookshelves failed to turn up a copy I downloaded a sample from Amazon and it didn't seem familiar. So I bought a copy in paperback and read it.

And was unimpressed. As a Philadelphia area resident I know what crimes and people they are trying to incorporate but it just feels hollow.

And my biggest pet peeve Wallingfor
Helen Azar
Mar 14, 2011 Helen Azar rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this crime fiction, not only because the entire plot takes place within a square mile from my place of residence - so there was definitely that cool recognition factor - but also because it is a pretty good story, complete with the obligatory car chase in the last chapter where the bad guy gets what he deserves. I just want to add that I really really hope that the fundamental city government corruption described in this book is highly exaggerated, otherwise we are all kind of doomed.
Dave
Mar 27, 2016 Dave rated it it was amazing
i love Griffin. been reading his work since the 80's. great stuff.
L-J Johnson
Sep 20, 2010 L-J Johnson rated it it was ok
A disappointment. I don't know if W.E.B. is losing his touch, of if his co-writer/son is bringing down the quality, but this surely wasn't up to his usual square-jawed hero standards. Matt Payne has become a fairly boring leading man, and W.E.B. had nothing new to add to his stories of the Philly P.D. This installment in the Badge of Honor series desperately needed an infusion of some of the colorful characters who had populated earlier books.
Mark
Jan 24, 2011 Mark rated it liked it
As usual I look forward to the Matt Payne and the rest of the colorful Philly crew...unfortuately this one focuses in on Matt's maturing love for his lovely Doc...very little fleshing out of the rest of the crew...something I really look forward to...Payne and company are confronted with corruption at the political level as well as an increasing body count as a well-meaning philanthropist sponsors vigilante actions against lowest of Philly low-lifes
Trebor
Oct 30, 2015 Trebor rated it it was ok
Purely an escape read. I hoped for something a little better, but it was reasonably decent. It lost me at times with the character descriptions but did have some riveting spots.
Richard
Sep 23, 2010 Richard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like mysteries or police procedurals.
Recommended to Richard by: I read a review.
An excellent story covering a limited amount of time with an increasing body count at every turn.

It's an interesting concept: placing a $10,000 bounty on felons, dead or alive, who have skipped out on their bail.

The task force to stop the escalating killings consists of three policemen, but they don't seem able to do anything constructive. I can see this as an exciting film noir, but it would need severe editing.
Greg Oaster
Oct 12, 2015 Greg Oaster rated it really liked it
Not to bad so far...but Carlucci is mayor again. And he too hasn't aged. That was a real shocker to me. Don't get me wrong I love the Carlucci character but the time hopping with the characters not aging, still makes me scratch my head. Being from the Philly area many of the places are very familiar to me so I really enjoy the series, despite the flaws of a completely different generations
Jeff
Oct 03, 2014 Jeff rated it did not like it
I'd heard a lot about Griffin and was looking forward to reading one of his books, but was very disappointed. The poor quality of writing overall made it very difficult to get involved in the book, and the two-dimensional characters and mediocre plot made it hard to finish at all. I did finish it, but I won't be picking up anything else by this author.

Andy
May 20, 2011 Andy rated it it was ok
More of the same from Griffin. Mining the just retribution vein, the dying father of a rape victim hunts down criminals who are still wanted but have slipped through the cracks of the system. Tom Clancy did this a lot better in Without Remorse. These books aren't meant to be overly analyzed, just entertaining reads. He got that right.
Andrew
I was really surprised that the entire story was fitted in a 24 hour time frame.

I enjoyed it and was wondering when Will Curtis would get caught or if he would be. I think he had a fitting end.

Yuri seems like some one you really don't want to anger.

I expected this book to have a time frame of a few days or weeks but it was really well told.
Sherry
Feb 16, 2014 Sherry rated it really liked it
Shelves: w-e-b-griffin
Books 9 & 10 in this series seem to jump quite a bit in time from the first 8…I really enjoyed reading about Philly in the 1970's, then in book 9 the time frame seems to jump almost 30 years…yet the characters haven't aged. Enjoyed the book, just wish Griffin had kept the storyline moving along, not jumping decades ahead.
Kathryn Franks
Aug 14, 2010 Kathryn Franks rated it it was ok
SO incredibly disappointed in this book. I have read all of his previous books in this series and this and the last one have really fallen short. Whether it is the new co-author, or what, but it is just not the same. Bad (HORRIBLE) dialogue, weak plot,and one of the favorite main characters doesn't even make an appearance.
Carole
Jan 18, 2012 Carole rated it liked it
Am just at beginning of this one, but the Philly books just don't provide the same zing as the military books -- a lot more gratuitous violence and I'm just a third of the way through it. After reading some long, more classical books I was looking forward to this as another Griffin book I couldn't put down but ...
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • The NKJV, American Patriot's Bible, Hardcover: The Word of God and the Shaping of America
  • The Making of a Leader
  • This Day We Fight!: Breaking the Bondage of a Passive Spirit
  • The Prophet's Dictionary: The Ultimate Guide to Supernatural Wisdom
  • God's Creative Power Will Work For You
  • Prayers That Bring Change: Power-Filled Prayers that Give Hope, Heal Relationships, Bring Financial Freedom and More!
  • The Spirit of Python: Identify what constricts your life and kills your dreams
  • By Faith Alone
  • Dressed to Kill: A Biblical Approach to Spiritual Warfare and Armor
  • Self Incrimination
  • Does Your Tongue Need Healing
  • The Jewish Code
  • Emotions: Confront the Lies. Conquer with Truth.
  • The Rules Of Engagement: The Art of Strategic Prayer and Spiritual Warfare
  • The Love Revolution
  • Rough Justice (Sean Dillion, #15)
  • Culture of Honor: Sustaining a Supernatural Environment
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

Badge of Honor (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Men In Blue (Badge of Honor, #1)
  • Special Operations (Badge of Honor, #2)
  • The Victim (Badge of Honor, #3)
  • The Witness (Badge of Honor, #4)
  • The Assassin (Badge of Honor, #5)
  • The Murderers (Badge of Honor, #6)
  • The Investigators (Badge of Honor, #7)
  • Final Justice
  • The Traffickers (Badge of Honor, #9)
  • The Last Witness (Badge of Honor, #11)

“it’s easier finding a virgin in a whorehouse than an honest politician.” 1 likes
“If we wait until the last minute to do it, it’ll only take a minute.” 0 likes