Start by marking “Beyond Innocence” as Want to Read:
Beyond Innocence

Beyond Innocence (Beyond Duet #1)

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  1,435 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Emma Holly turns up the heat in this sinfully sensuous story of a family plagued by scandal--and a shy young woman who discovers a passion beyond her wildest dreams.
Published April 9th 2007 by Jove Books (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Innocence

Julianna
I had very mixed feelings about this story. There were things that I liked about it, but there were other things that really frustrated me and came perilously close to giving it wall-banger status, something that is highly unusual for me. It was a primarily character-driven story with nearly all the conflict being of an internal nature. I found the plot to be interesting but very predictable. While there were some emotional romantic moments, they were just too few and inconsistent. The love scen ...more
Duchess Nicole
Florence is the daughter of a recently deceased country vicar. She's not a high society debutante, but she IS a beauty. Now she needs a husband, and she needs one fast. Otherwise, she's a woman of little means in a world in which women without the protection of a man have few choices.

Edward Burbrooke is in need of a wife, and he needs one NOW. Only he needs a wife for his brother, not himself. Brother Freddie has been caught with his pants down one too many times. Only he never had a woman in th
Erica Anderson
This is one of those contrived, predictable plots with an ultra-innocent female character ("Oh my! What are you doing?") and a stereotypical duty-bound alpha male. Which is exactly why I've read it several times and likely will keep reading it. There's lots of glaring and resisting of baser impulses, which is completely enjoyable, since the reader knows that the hero adores the heroine and is, where she is concerned, the veriest cream puff. I know it's a bit of an oxymoron, but this book is best ...more
Jennifer Leighton
It really is a shame that Emma Holly stopped writing historicals, because a good erotic historical is hard to come by.

I thoroughly enjoyed Ms. Holly's writing style, which is very detailed. I prefer authors who paint scenes in a descriptive way instead of a more simplistic style.

The storyline was good...I felt the chemistry between Edward and Florence and it certainly had me hurrying through to get to the good stuff. ;-)

The sex was good as well. There were only a couple of words or phrases that
Abby
Jul 15, 2008 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Another steamy late-Victorian romance from Emma Holly. I liked this one a little less than Beyond Seduction, mostly because I just didn't connect with the heroine. A vicar's daughter, she was too good, too innocent, to "pure" to be much more than a Mary Sue. Holly describes the heroine so often as a ripe peach or plum that it made me want to swear off stone-fruit forever. However, the sex was steamy and the hero was hunky. A quick read, definitely entertaining, low on substance. Much like a peac ...more
ChloeLeeNH
Probably 3 1/2. Interesting to see a gay character featured so promanently in a romance novel. It didn't take away from the story at all. Wanted the story to be a bit more though
Huong
Apr 21, 2012 Huong rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skimmed
Lost interest after the 2nd chapter. Romance loses the 'romance' factor when the Hero shares a hot mindbending sex scene with his mistress in the 2nd chapter.
Yelania Nightwalker
Aimee
Nov 30, 2009 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for a good historical romance. I'm glad this is the one I picked up!

Florence is a woman trying to make her way in life. She comes to London looking for a husband. When she's introduced to Freddie, it's like a dream come true...until Edward.

There is so much I liked about this story. Normally, I get annoyed by historicals. They tend to be so cookie cutter. That's why I don't often read them. But this one had me engrossed after just a few pages.

I was impressed with most of the
Carol Storm
My brother's gay -- will you marry me?

Wonderful Victorian romance, IF you can get over the unintentionally funny premise -- the hero can't deal with his younger brother being gay, so he unearths the most luscious country miss he can find to marry the brother and "straighten him out." And of course the girl is as innocent as a lamb with a body like Venus, so after about two chapters the hero does a total 180 and is fully into seduction!

It's a fun book, but a lot of the drama seems silly instead o
Camille
Florence's father dies so she travels to London to find a good husband to have a stable life. Edward's brother Freddie is gay and decides the best thing to do is to marry him off (to Florence without her knowledge by stagging their introduction) to avoid scandal. But! Edward starts falling in love with Florence and now his plan is falling off track...

Err, this is a pretty standard romance novel but I will say it has some very steamy sex scenes... Ms. Holly is rather graphic (the last one starti
NorthernLightsGirl
May 13, 2008 NorthernLightsGirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
If you liked Passion By Lisa Valdez or The River Devil, The Irish Devil By Diane Whiteside then you will enjoy this book. This is the first book I have read of Emma Holly's. I really enjoyed it.
Lady Claire, Marchioness of Fancy Pants
I really enjoyed this book as well Beyond Seduction. The hero is a bit of an ass but aren't all men?
SidneyKay
G.G.A.G. Alert - Gigantic Girth and Growing.

Yes little petunias, erotica or erotic or romantica or whatever, was not invented with 50 Shades of Grey. It's been around for eons - can anyone say Sappho. Yes, from John Wilmot to Alexander Pope to D.H. Lawrence, it's had a long and colorful existence. So when 50 Shades came along, I have to say I was a bit surprised that book seemed to be some kind of "new" thing. Romance novels have always had many sensuality levels and many authors who are exceedi
Manuela
Feb 13, 2011 Manuela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cvl, storico
Naksed
Nov 03, 2014 Naksed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's 19th century England, the period where a genius like Oscar Wilde was demonized and run out of the country because of the "love that dares not speak its name." Edward, the respectable, wealthy, uber alpha Duke of Burbrooke is terrified that his younger brother Freddie, an otherwordly handsome closeted gay man, will suffer a similar fate. Rumors have already started in their close knit aristocratic world and it is a matter of days before Freddie is completely ruined and the family name tarnis ...more
Laura Darcy
Après mon passage à vide coté lecture, maintenant c’est le temps qui me manque alors que l’envie de lire est bien présente… Si ce n’est pas la poisse, je ne vois pas ce que c’est!
Je continue néanmoins mes lectures dans l’univers des romances historiques que j’affectionne, comme vous le savez, beaucoup. La petite dernière arrivée dans ma bibliothèque est « Au-delà de l’innocence » de Emma Holly.

Ce qui a d’abord attiré mon attention sur cette énième romance est le résumé qui promet des scènes asse
D.W. Nichols
Es una pena que Emma Holly no haya aprovechado el hecho que uno de los personajes sea homosexual para explicar, aunque fuese de forma breve, lo que significaba en la Inglaterra del siglo XIX tener esta condición. No sólo se enfrentaban al rechazo de la sociedad en pleno, si no al encarcelamiento, acusados de sodomía (Oscar Wilde estuvo condenado a dos años de trabajos forzados por esa causa).

Por ese motivo y visto desde un punto de vista moderno, la preocupación de Edward, el protagonista, por s
Gisele
Jul 12, 2013 Gisele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O livro é bom! É hot (as cenas são esporádicas, mas beem quentes! Essa autora é conhecida nos EUA por escrever romances eróticos, mas em Além da Inocência, ela faz seu debut em Romances Históricos, então ela dosa um pouco mais essa quentura.. heheehe) e romântico.

Segundo resenhas de blogs americanos, esse livro se compararia a Passion da Lisa Valdez, mas digo logo, Passion é muito melhor, mais intenso em todos os sentidos, mas isso não faz com que Além da Inocência não seja uma agradável leitur
Cristina Contilli
Non è un romance tradizionale, ma è un romanzo complesso, perché c’è una parte seria che riguarda la preoccupazione di Edward per il fratello che potrebbe essere rovinato dalla diffusione delle voci sulla sua omosessualità, voci che un matrimonio metterebbe a tacere, Edward come fratello maggiore vorrebbe proteggere Freddie ed è persino disposto a rinunciare inizialmente a Florence pur di vederlo tranquillo e “sistemato”, dall’altra c’è un protagonista Edward un po’ troppo orgoglioso del proprio ...more
Ladiibbug
Dec 14, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance *Steamy* Fans
#1 "Beyond" duet (two book series)

Ooo, this was a lovely and steamy historical romance! And I'm so happy to finally be reading more Emma Holly.

Beautiful Florence Farleigh, a vicar's daughter, is alone in the world following the death of her father. She needs a husband who will be kind to her and support her financially.

Edward Burbrooke is anxious to find a wife for his scandalous brother Freddie to save their family's reputation from ruin.

Florence, Freddie and Edward are introduced by the deceas
Pamela(AllHoney)
When her beloved father passes away, Florence Fairleigh finds herself alone in the world. All she wants is a man who will treat her kindly and support her financially--and she's come to London to find him...

Edward Burbrooke thinks marriage is the only way to save his brother Freddie--and their family--from scandalous ruin. As head of the family, Edward has vowed to find Freddie a bride--and fast...

Thrown together by Edward, Florence and Freddie make a perfect pair--until Edward realizes he has
adoree
Sep 14, 2012 adoree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C'est une gentille histoire sensuelle. C'est le genre d'histoire que j'affectionne tout particulièrement.
L'héroïne est une gentille jeune fille sans prétentions. Evidemment, elle a tout ce qu'il faut, là où il faut. Elle est une bouffée d'air frais dans Londres des années 1870. Je dois dire que l'auteur flirte avec les clichés mais pour ma plus grande chance, elle est joue avec la limite. C'est ce que j'apprécie chez elle. Le héros est tout en muscles, il est froid dehors et chaud dedans (j' a-d
Heroes & Heartbreakers
Emma Holly was one of my first favorites among erotic novelists because her characters always seem to be having such fun. And sex is supposed to be fun, right? I think her books are a great introduction to erotica. She's written everything from contemporary to paranormal. Her two Victorian historical romances, Beyond Innocence (2001) and Beyond Seduction (2002), if published today, might be called erotic romances, and usually there are romantic elements to her work. In Romance, she might be equa ...more
CriCra CriCra
Jun 02, 2012 CriCra CriCra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Davvero un bel romanzo, intenso e molto caldo. Sembra non finire mai! L'intreccio delle storie al suo interno, non risulta per nulla discordante. I protagonisti principali Edward e Florence, sono la classica coppia, che si ama a prima vista, ma con la capacità di scoprirsi a poco a poco, specie LEI che è la classica "" inesperta "" delle cose della vita. Le scene calde, per non dire bollenti, forse sono un pò troppo esasperate a volte, forse un pò eccessive, ma del resto questi romanzi sono bell ...more
Alaina Patterson
Also unrealistic? The fact that Edward fell into lust over Florence and that lust turned into love and they ended up getting married after Florence found out Freddie liked Frank instead. (Note: he wasn’t actually named Frank; I just couldn’t resist the alliteration.)

For not much more (it's a really short review this time), head on over to That's What She Read.
Netanella
Jun 21, 2009 Netanella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Emma Holly book, and a complete redemption from the near trash that All U Can Eat was. I truly enjoyed this Victorian-era novel, about a poor vicar's daughter who decides to marry security and ends up matched to gay, likeable Freddie but in love with his brother, the unlikable and brooding Edward. Florence is a bit too blushing innocence for my taste, but I found her story compelling.
Jane Stewart
OK Story, nothing creative or special. Nothing delighted me, surprised me or made me chuckle.

Edward was drawn to her from the moment he first saw her. Then, the tension for the rest of the book was Edward not following his heart. He could have found another woman for Freddie. Freddie didn't care. It was an ok romance novel that was easy to put down when I needed to go to sleep or to do something else.
Jenny Rebecca
This was my second Emma Holly book. Beyond Seduction is one of my all time favorites. I've read this one a couple of times and don't remember loving it. I'm going to give it another chance.

Alright. I liked it this time around. I think I was originally expecting the same book as Beyond Seduction when I read this one, and they're very different. I never really fell in love with the characters though. I was more interested in Freddie's side of the story.

Michelle
Aug 02, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, book
I started this yesterday and could not put it down. I only have a couple chapters to go - and was mad when I didn't have time to finish it this morning (after waking up early to read more!!) Emma has so many layers - modern, vampire, and now historic. Can't wait to finish this tonight when I get home!!!
  • The Lover (The Lover, #1)
  • Tempt the Devil
  • A Lady's Pleasure (Mistress Trilogy, #1)
  • Passion (Passion Quartet, #1)
  • Strong Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #8)
  • Mate of the High Dragon (Of Dragons and Wolves #5)
  • 3
  • The Haunting of St. Xavier
  • Carnal Deceptions
  • Soldier of Fortune's Downfall (Wolves of Stone Ridge #18)
  • An Indecent Proposition
  • Ravyn's Blood (Ravyn War­riors, #1)
  • A Caleb Footlong (The O'Hagan Way #2)
  • Cowboy Way (Blaecleah Brothers #3)
  • Endless Midnight (Moonlight Breed #5)
  • Seven Days
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
I'm a USA Today bestselling author who LOVES the hot stuff, both to read and to write. My favorite obsessions are all things coffee, almost everything on HGTV, and dreaming up new stories.
More about Emma Holly...

Beyond Duet (2 books)
  • Beyond Seduction (Beyond Duet, #2)