Start by marking “War Horse (War Horse, #1)” as Want to Read:
War Horse (War Horse, #1)

War Horse (War Horse #1)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  28,411 Ratings  ·  3,505 Reviews
Joey is a warhorse, but he wasn't always. Once, he was a farm horse and a gentle boy named Albert was his master. Then World War I came storming through and everything changed. Albert's father sells Joey to the army where the beautiful, red-bay horse is trained to charge the enemy, drag heavy artillery, and carry wounded soldiers not much older than Albert off of battlefie ...more
Published 2007 by Egmont Press (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about War Horse, please sign up.

Kelsi_Betsy Yes, it would. It's a great book about love and determination, though it's quite sad because many horses die. :(

P
May 02, 2016 P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“I can hate you more, but I'll never love you less.”

This book is so beautiful in many ways. I wanted to weep all day after I finished. War Horse is very unique because it's told by Joey, a horse being thrusted into the war on the Western Front. The story is innocent, yet it's so sensational and full of angst from the characters. I felt attached to the story from the first chapter and couldn't peel my eyes off then. Morpugo created such a striking story about the war with a horse and a boy try
Mario
Apr 11, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own, own-read
If somebody told me that book written in horse's POV would be this emotional, I wouldn't have believed it.

From page one, I knew that this wasn't going to be happy and light read (even in chapter 1 so much happened). It dealt with war, and how unfair and stupid it is. But it also dealt with so much more than that. It's a story about friendship, loyalty, love and survival. And I felt like this book was so much longer than it actually was. I guess that is because so much happened in it. But surpris
Dem
Apr 13, 2016 Dem rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Small Books can often leave big impressions and this is the case with War Horse by Michael Morpurgo.

Michael Murpurgo writes wonderful children's novels and I had loved some of his books very much and War Horse is one of those books that leaves a lasting impression.

This is not a novel with a complicated plot or twists and turns but a beautiful story simply told and I find sometimes these can be the best.

Warhorse is a moving story about a horse called Joey and his experiences during service in th
Will Byrnes
Jun 29, 2016 Will Byrnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-and-children
Stephanie
May 10, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit, 2013
I listened to this on audio and was listening to this while making my way to a ‘gig’ at Wooster College in Ohio, where I was to draw caricatures. Drawing caricatures for the public requires a certain amount of upbeat interaction, so it might not have been a good time to cry over Joey the War Horse. I hope my Eyes weren’t all puffy.

Joey is a special horse. Special enough to be purchased to serve in the first world war as a Calvary horse. But the whole time he is in the war he longs for the day he
Liz
Oct 19, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A book about war. About fighting and surviving.

A book about friendship and loyalty. And about death and grief and moving on.

Written from the POV of a horse, this book was absolutely breathtaking. And honetsly, not only the book. I cried when I read the book and I cried even harder when I watched the movie.
It was one of the few books I read that was actually about WWI. Since so many books are about the Second World War I was very intrigued about a book that pictured the First one!

The main part i
Ahmad Sharabiani
داستان، ضد جنگ است، روایت از دید همین اسب جنگی ست برای نوجوانان
چند سال پیش هم خوانده بودم، دیشب کنار تخت بود، گفتم دوباره یک دو فصل میخوانم تا خوابم ببرد، ساعت پنج صبح 189 ص دوباره تمام شد
Karen & Gerard
This is a double wow book for me! Joey, the war horse, tells about his adventures during World War 1 and the special bond he has with a young boy named Albert. At only 160 pages or so, it goes very fast. I loved it! I look forward to seeing the movie which is coming out on Christmas.
(Gerard's review)

War Horse is a touching book that kept my interest all through. Although it is a children's book, I enjoyed it but must admit I got teary-eyed reading it. Parts were very sad but I loved the ending!
Erastes
Sep 11, 2011 Erastes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm clearly the only person in the world who doesn't like, doesn't get, this book.

The horse is a Gary Stu (See here if you don't know what one of those is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue) - he knows everything, from what guns and cannons are, to what wire is and what it can do, the terms for everythng in his world, including politics and the type of bit in his mouth.

I'm used to anthropomorphic animals, and have been since I was born--but Joey should be dressed up in a waistcoat and walking
Mahsa
اگه کنجکاوید قابل باورترین تصویرسازی ممکن از افکار و احساسات یه اسب رو بخونید، و اگه دوست دارید با یکی از خاصترین اسبهای جنگی آشنا بشید و جنگ رو از نگاهش بخونید، اسب جنگی رو ورق بزنید.
با این کتاب از زبان و نگاه یه اسب خوندم، و همین یک دلیل کافی بود تا من به سادگی دوستش داشته باشم. اما همهچیز فراتر از تصوراتم بود، و من به خیلی دلایل دیگه، خوندنِ روایت این اسب فوقالعاده یعنی "جویی" رو فراتر از انتظارم دوست داشتم.

با صفحات این کتاب، همراه جویی از حس قشنگش نسبت به صاحبش و دوستش آلبرت، از جدایی تلخش ا
Kaitlin
Oct 12, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a children's book which I picked up completely by chance. I am currently studying Graphic Design and there happens to be a project which requires illustrating this book and so naturally I had to read it in order to know how to illustrate it, and my goodness I am so happy I did choose to pick this up!!

This is a story which is told from the point of view of a Horse named Joey. I wouldn't have expected a book described in that way to come across as well and as emotionally as it has, but hon
Nastaran
این آغاز قصهاس، آلبرت و جویی بهترین دوستای هم هستن. یه انسان و یه اسب...
آلبرت، جویی رو بزرگ میکنه، بهش محبت میکنه و خیلی دوستش داره... ولی دست روزگار جویی و آلبرت رو از هم جدا میکنه و جویی به اجبار همراه سواره نظام انگلیس به جنگ فرستاده میشه...

این روایته جنگ جهانی اوله از زبان یک اسب. بدون قضاوت انسانی...
تو روایت جویی جایی برای مرزهای ساختهی انسان وجود نداره... تفاوتی نیست بین انسانهایی که فقط لباس متفاوتی میپوشن و زبان مختلفی دارن...
They fight a war and they don’t know what for. Isn’t that cra
Jonathan
Feb 23, 2016 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
War Horse is the first book I had to read for my new teaching job and I can only describe it as my students did: "It's Black Beauty, but in World War One!"

As with Black Beauty, War Horse is set from the perspective of a horse and the reader witnesses all events from this horse's perspective. The horse, in this case, goes by the name of Joey and the reader observes Joey being sold to an owner, who treats him poorly but who has a son who he respects as his master. This master, a young teenager by
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
4-4.5 stars.

Apparently I never got around to a review for this. I remember it as a beautifully told story from the point of view of a horse, similarly to Black Beauty, who gets pulled into military service during WWI. It really shows how ghastly the Great War was, and the animal's connection to his riders and his original owner broke my heart. The film was well done and I still want to see the stage play.
Paul O'Neill
A heart warming, easy read. Didn't end like I expected it to I have to say. My problem with this book is that it was a bit too simple and all the characters felt a bit wooden. The book is told from Joey's, the horse, point of view and it doesn't quite work for me. I think the emotional parts of the book would have worked better if it came from a human point of view, not knowing what was going on in the horse's head. Still a good read and worth checking out if you're looking for something quick w ...more
Jo
This review is part of my Poppies & Prose feature.

"I tell you, if we had one jot of the courage of these animals we should be in Paris by now and not slugging it out here in the mud... It was not their fault they were sent on a fool's errand. They are not circus animals, they are heroes, do you understand, heroes, and they should be treated as such."

So I have to admit when I first started reading this book, I didn’t have high expectations.
There are three reasons for this:
1) It’s
Tristan Robin Blakeman
Very interesting book...and quite touching, in a clean and non-cloying way.

I am familiar with the play, so I knew the basic plot line. I wish I had read the book first ... the play is SO powerful - and so theatrically charged with the larger-than-life stage puppets who play the horses - that the book seemed somewhat small to me. But, that's okay. It's really a small story - even though it's played against the world stage during intense and climatic moments.

It was a surprise to find the book is w
Rebecca
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

In a nutshell: War Horse is a heartfelt and emotional story of war, friendship and survival.

I love historical fiction and I'm always surprised when I think of the small amount of books I've read that are set in WWI. I'm even more surprised when I think about how long I went without having a book like War Horse on my shelf. Not only is this book one of my favourites of the genre, but it's also one of my favourites period.

War
Seeker of dreams
This was a short read, but a beautiful story. I especially liked the fact that it was from the view of the horse. His descriptions of how he felt were done very well. I felt his pain and joy.

Great book, but I loved the movie more.
Hope
Oct 29, 2015 Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness, guys. Review to come!
Malene
Mar 29, 2016 Malene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
"Han hang med hovedet og var pludselig sunket helt sammen.
Da gik det op for mig, at jeg blev forladt, og jeg vrinskede skingert, skreg min smerte og angst ud over landsbyen."

Jeg sad engang og zappede rundt på tvet ved min søster og faldt i staver på en kanal, der viste noget af filmen 'War Horse'. Det var midt i filmen, hvis ikke tæt på slutningen, men jeg stoppede med mit zapperi med det samme - der var et eller andet over stemningen og følelserne der emmede ud fra skærmen, som jeg ikke kunne s
Apr 23, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wanda, Gundula
A very touching and sensitive story involving the friendship between a former British farmer and his horse. With the beginning of World War I, both friends have a separate life in France but the destiny bring them together with all the suffering which came by the end of this War.

Another two sensitive books with similar subject should be mentioned here: Black Beauty by Anna Sewell and Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand. In the latest, the horse is not a character/narrator himself as opposite of the
Michael
Jun 26, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Review from Badelynge.
I was drawn to this book after seeing the life-sized horse puppets in the theatrical version of War Horse. Former UK Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo usually has an entire shelf dedicated to him in most British book shops and this one, written nearly 30 years ago is one I can recommend to both children and adults alike. It tells the story of Joey, a half-thoroughbred red bay bought by a drunken farmer to spite another and beloved of the farmer's son. The events of 1913
Zane Bērzleja
Feb 28, 2012 Zane Bērzleja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grāmatas “Kara zirgs” autors ir Maikls Morpurgo. Autors visus savus 68 gadus ir pavadījis Anglijā, dzīvojis un rakstījis savus darbus, ko dara vēlaizvien. Romānu “Kara zirgs” viņš sarakstīja 1982. gadā, kas 2012. gadā tika iestudēts arī uz kino ekrāniem, piesaistīdams lielāku lasītāju loku. Notikumi vijās ap Pirmo Pasaules karu 1914. gadā, galvenokārt Francijā, un autors ir izveidojis apbrīnojamu kara romānu no savādāka skata punkta, kas ir grūti iedomājams.
Šajās lapaspusēs ir stāsts par zirga
Maya
Nov 17, 2014 Maya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book and I think it is great since I can easily relate with how Albert is feeling because the way it described his feelings, I sometimes feel like that too. The main characters name is Albert and a horse named Joey. I like this book because it builds suspense a few times because the Germans captured Joey,Captain Stewart, Captain Nichols, and Albert and they are making them to war.It gets suspenseful because the author put a lot of detail so it gets you hooked. I would recommend this ...more
Rade
Aug 08, 2015 Rade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story told from a point of a horse who goes through many phases of war, from a farm horse to a horse who is thrown a war zone and even pushed into a "no man's land". Quite a sad story. Horses are such great animals. Even though they are not the kind of animal that show affection, they do remember if you treat them right. This book even goes as far as to say that they remember faces of those who treat them good or bad as situation might vary.

I don't know if I can watch the Spielberg's version
Carrie
3.5* Grade B/B-

I bought this on a whim on audible.com during a $4.95 sale. It's under 5 hours long, but worth the price. The story is basically Black Beauty meets World War I, including being told from the horse's point-of-view. This book was more about the evil's of war than a treatise on animal cruelty, but mostly it was about hope and love and loyalty.

The narration was decent, but there was an odd sort of lilt to the voice, especially when speaking dialog.

The book was originally written in
Janeka
May 20, 2014 Janeka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4,5 stars

description

This was such a great read for me :)

I don't like (at all!) movies narrated by animals, but "War Horse" was a total different experience, I loved it. The fact that it was written to children / teens gave it a beautiful simplicity, in my opinion.

And I confess - I cried. Twice, actually.

Afshar

ولی یه انسان از کشور دیگه رو نه

شاید چون اسب حرف نمیزنه
و نظرشو بیان نمیکنه!!!!
Daisy
Not as good as I was expecting. This book failed to hold my attention most of the way through, as it was EXTREMELY rushed, and the constant changes of scenery and direction made me lose interest in the story and characters. The horse protagonist was unrealistic, mainly because of the way he understood foreign languages with no trouble at all, and formed connections with people and (particularly) other horses out of nowhere with nothing to go by. They just 'had a connection' and that was that.

Pro
audio books 1 1 Sep 08, 2016 04:37PM
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Historical 1 3 May 12, 2016 07:04PM
Mrs. Anderson's E...: War Horse 1 3 Jan 04, 2016 06:06PM
War Horse 2 18 Oct 26, 2015 08:49AM
  • The Georges and the Jewels (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #1)
  • Blind Beauty
  • Firehorse
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • War Horse
  • Risky Chance (Horse Diaries, #7)
  • Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West
  • Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul: Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them
  • Yatimah (Horse Diaries, #6)
  • Chosen by a Horse
  • Cracker!: The Best Dog in Vietnam
  • Chosen (Canterwood Crest Super Special, #1)
  • Wild Girl
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Issie and the Christmas Pony (Pony Club Secrets, #13)
  • A Horse of Her Own
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...

War Horse (2 books)
  • Farm Boy (War Horse, #2)

“I can hate you more, but I'll never love you less.” 137 likes
“Any problem can be solved between people if only they can trust each other” 55 likes