Start by marking “A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)

A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew #4)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  532 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In the winter of 1353, torrential rains are spreading fever to the poor and making travel especially hazardous along the town’s outlaw-infested roads. Then three members of the University die by drinking poisoned wine. College physician Matthew Bartholomew would rather not get involved in the investigation, but when his life is threatened, he stumbles on criminal activitie ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Deadly Brew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Deadly Brew

Spotsalots
Apr 06, 2012 Spotsalots added it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I like mysteries and I suppose I'm always up for historical mysteries in particular. Set them in medieval times and I'll gladly give them a try. This one, however, ultimately disappointed in various ways. While the author does a good job of conveying early Cambridge--the sensory details about food, warmth, lighting, clothing, and cleanliness are provided to an impressive degree, as are intricacies of trade and university life--quite a few of the events and plot twists (especially approaching the ...more
LJ
A DEADLY BREW (Hist. Mys-Matthew Bartholomew-England-1353) – VG
Gregory, Susanna – 4th in series
Little, Brown and Company, UK Hardcover, 1998 – ISBN: 0316640573

First Sentence: The afternoon had been growing gradually darker as storm clouds massed overhead.

It’s the winter of 1353, the plague is recently past but a worry and with the formal rains physician Matthew Barthomew is concerned about the spread of fever. That fear is over shadowed by the sudden and violent deaths by poisoning of three peop
Annie Jones
Of the Matthew Bartholomew Chronicles I've read to date I found this one a bit tedious. It seemed to go on for longer than it needed. The going over of evidence and events to refresh the reader's memory annoyed me. Taking those negatives aside, the background, characters and plot were up to Gregory's usual high standard.
Kay Keesee
I have yet to read one of Mrs. Gregory's books that I have not enjoyed.
Meryem
Apr 26, 2014 Meryem added it
Read it many years ago, i don't remember anything about it.
Wayne Farmer
Another solid good read in the series. I particularly liked how events of the previous book have helped lead to events in this one, and also the humour that is starting to appear - I found one comment when our protagonists leave a convent with 2 nuns in tow particularly chuckleworthy. Thanks to the historical note at the end I now know that some of the characters in the book actually existed and that always adds to a good historical novel for me.
A worthy addition to the series.
Karen
A continually excellent historical ecclesiastical series, this entry is true to form - well plotted, fascinating characters and intricate historic details make it a pleasure to read. The mystery (or rather series of connected mysteries) unfold, carrying the plot and the reader along as Matt and Michael investigate murder and smuggling against the background of university and church politics and intrigue.
Georgia Lengyel
Love the history in this series. Only problem I had with this one, was how long and drawn out the fighting between Matthew and Harling were. Little too much.
Monica Willyard
This is the best book in the series so far. I was still guessing till the end. I really enjoy the historical details and how they are woven into the storyline.
Kathy Davie
I just can't take it anymore...as much as I love the time period and Gregory's imaginative writing, Matthew is just too dim for me to endure.
kelly
I am REALLY enjoying this series... so far, I think this one has been the best out of the bunch!
Jehnie
I might find more of this series - but I'd like to start back at the beginning.
Anita
I'm really getting hooked on this series. :)
Andy Field
A good read, lots of action.
Isreal
It was ok.
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Marianne Lindsay
Marianne Lindsay marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Brenda
Brenda added it
Dec 06, 2014
Kat Limbrick
Kat Limbrick marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Melvin Jones
Melvin Jones marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • By Murder's Bright Light (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #5)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday, #1)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
Susanna Gregory is the pseudonym of Elizabeth Cruwys, a Cambridge academic who was previously a coroner's officer. She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysteries featuring Matthew Bartholomew, a teacher of medicine and investigator of murders in 14th-century Cambridge.

AKA Simon Beaufort

She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysterie
More about Susanna Gregory...
A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1) An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2) A Conspiracy of Violence (Thomas Chaloner, #1) A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3) A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)