Start by marking “A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)

A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew #4)

The fourth chronicle of Matthew Bartholomew continues the adventures of the 14th century Cambridge physician when he is called to attend to two deaths from some poisoned wine. The opening of a new and very well-endowed college has created petty in-fighting amongst the academics as new appointments are made. The winter and spring have been appallingly wet, there is a fever ...more
Published June 17th 1999 by Sphere (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Deadly Brew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Deadly Brew

Mavis Hewitt
Jun 03, 2017 Mavis Hewitt rated it really liked it
Shelves: medieval-mystery
Clever (& complex) reason for the existence of the 'deadly brew'.
Spotsalots
Apr 06, 2012 Spotsalots added it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I like mysteries and I suppose I'm always up for historical mysteries in particular. Set them in medieval times and I'll gladly give them a try. This one, however, ultimately disappointed in various ways. While the author does a good job of conveying early Cambridge--the sensory details about food, warmth, lighting, clothing, and cleanliness are provided to an impressive degree, as are intricacies of trade and university life--quite a few of the events and plot twists (especially approaching the ...more
LJ
A DEADLY BREW (Hist. Mys-Matthew Bartholomew-England-1353) – VG
Gregory, Susanna – 4th in series
Little, Brown and Company, UK Hardcover, 1998 – ISBN: 0316640573

First Sentence: The afternoon had been growing gradually darker as storm clouds massed overhead.

It’s the winter of 1353, the plague is recently past but a worry and with the formal rains physician Matthew Barthomew is concerned about the spread of fever. That fear is over shadowed by the sudden and violent deaths by poisoning of three peop
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Dec 28, 2014 Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic) rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Published: 01/06/1999
Author: Susanna Gregory
Recomended for: fans of murder mysteries

This is the fourth book in the amazing Matthew Bartholomew series written by the incredible Susanna Gregory! This book is set in 1353 in winter time, where three University students suddenly die by drinking poisoned wine. Matthew Bartholomew ( a college physician) would much rather not get involved in the mystery of the murderer...but when his life comes under threats he comes across criminal activites that impli
Rich
Nov 08, 2014 Rich rated it it was ok
Matthew Bartholomew is dragged into another murder investigation, involving poisoned wine, smugglers and more dastardly deeds in the University hierarchy.

A decent read, which unfortunately is scuppered by Gregory's writing flaws. There are lots of characters, but as before the supporting characters remain worryingly anonymous. This makes it difficult at times to follow the flow of the action as you keep having to remember who is who, rather than just knowing who they are and what they do. Intere
Anna
Oct 18, 2016 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: medieval, crime
Oh dear. I do keep reading these books because I like the atmosphere they evoke: a cold, rain-sodden medieval Cambridge, streets filled with mud, offal and other nameless filth; it's my preferred form of the trendy Danish 'hygge' as I sit in my (reasonably) clean, warm house with a hot beverage. I also quite like the two main characters, the nice, sensible physician Matt and his fat, greedy friend Michael who get themselves involved in the underworld of crime which seems incredibly prevalent in ...more
Pamela Mclaren
The deadly brew of the title is a collection of wine bottles that have been apparently poisoned and its up to Matthew Bartholomew and his friend Michel to solve the mystery set in 14th century Cambridge. And the poisonings are only part of the problems — there are robberies afoot and while Bartholomew wants only to return to his teaching, research and providing medical treatments to the less wealthy of the community, he is drawn into searching for clues and soon is at risk for his life.

Susanna
Wayne Farmer
Another solid good read in the series. I particularly liked how events of the previous book have helped lead to events in this one, and also the humour that is starting to appear - I found one comment when our protagonists leave a convent with 2 nuns in tow particularly chuckleworthy. Thanks to the historical note at the end I now know that some of the characters in the book actually existed and that always adds to a good historical novel for me.
A worthy addition to the series.
Karen
Apr 25, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing
A continually excellent historical ecclesiastical series, this entry is true to form - well plotted, fascinating characters and intricate historic details make it a pleasure to read. The mystery (or rather series of connected mysteries) unfold, carrying the plot and the reader along as Matt and Michael investigate murder and smuggling against the background of university and church politics and intrigue.
Shannon
Jun 09, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I can't get over how much I love these books. I'll probably read all 20 or so of them before the year is up. They always keep me guessing, I never fully figure them out, and I love how they feel perfectly historical yet without stilted language or info dumps. I'm already looking forward to the next one!
Ninadiva
Aug 17, 2016 Ninadiva rated it liked it
Another good read by this author. Like the others in this series I enjoyed the main characters and following the plot. But yet again, the author goes a bit overboard at the end, losing some believability. For me it wasn't a let down since her other books are much the same, so I read the book for the 90% before the end.
Annie Jones
Jul 18, 2014 Annie Jones rated it liked it
Of the Matthew Bartholomew Chronicles I've read to date I found this one a bit tedious. It seemed to go on for longer than it needed. The going over of evidence and events to refresh the reader's memory annoyed me. Taking those negatives aside, the background, characters and plot were up to Gregory's usual high standard.
Georgia Lengyel
Feb 07, 2013 Georgia Lengyel rated it really liked it
Love the history in this series. Only problem I had with this one, was how long and drawn out the fighting between Matthew and Harling were. Little too much.
Sandra Strange
Another good historical English mystery featuring physician Matthew Bartholomew reluctantly embroiled in the historical political and economic intrigues and dangers of Medieval Cambridge---
kelly
Nov 02, 2009 kelly rated it really liked it
I am REALLY enjoying this series... so far, I think this one has been the best out of the bunch!
Ellen
Jul 12, 2009 Ellen rated it really liked it
Bartholomew #4
Jehnie
Jun 16, 2009 Jehnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I might find more of this series - but I'd like to start back at the beginning.
Sars
Jun 10, 2015 Sars rated it liked it
Shelves: genre-history
3.5 stars.

This is the fourth book in, and the fourth I've read. The plot was as needlessly convoluted as the previous books, but the characters are becoming more likeable.
Monica Willyard
Nov 29, 2013 Monica Willyard rated it it was amazing
This is the best book in the series so far. I was still guessing till the end. I really enjoy the historical details and how they are woven into the storyline.
Meryem
Apr 26, 2014 Meryem added it
Read it many years ago, i don't remember anything about it.
Kathy Davie
Sep 01, 2010 Kathy Davie rated it it was ok
I just can't take it anymore...as much as I love the time period and Gregory's imaginative writing, Matthew is just too dim for me to endure.
Gemma
Gemma rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Mavh
Mavh rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2012
Philip Cook
Aug 31, 2015 Philip Cook rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Intriguing, funny, enjoyable.
Siobhan McKelvey
Siobhan McKelvey rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2017
Dancinghawk3
Dancinghawk3 rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
Paula Maddison
Paula Maddison rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2017
Louise Thomson
Louise Thomson rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Anita Ashford
Anita Ashford rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2015
Scott Southam
Scott Southam rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2014
  • The Anger of God (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #4)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
Susanna Gregory is the pseudonym of Elizabeth Cruwys, a Cambridge academic who was previously a coroner's officer. She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysteries featuring Matthew Bartholomew, a teacher of medicine and investigator of murders in 14th-century Cambridge.

AKA Simon Beaufort

She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysterie
More about Susanna Gregory...

Matthew Bartholomew (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • A Masterly Murder (Matthew Bartholomew, #6)
  • An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)
  • A Summer of Discontent (Matthew Bartholomew, #8)
  • A Killer in Winter (Matthew Bartholomew, #9)
  • The Hand of Justice (Matthew Bartholomew, #10)
  • The Mark of a Murderer (Matthew Bartholomew, #11)