Start by marking “Scarecrows” as Want to Read:
Scarecrows

Scarecrows

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  19 reviews
When an ancient evil returns to a small Wisconsin town, the only one who realizes that everybody is in danger is the town "nutcase," a delusional Viet Nam veteran, in whom nobody believes, not even his teen-aged daughter....
Published (first published April 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Scarecrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarecrows

KristenR
I'm waffling on what rating to give this book. It started off well and I was enjoying the creepy folklore aspect to the story until about 3/4 of the way in when it changed into a zombie fight. (I like zombies, but to me it just didn't seem to fit with the beginning of the book)

The thing that killed me was the multitude of errors. Typos and wrong words (where/were, too/to, etc.) littered the pages.

I'm not sure if I want to give this book 2 stars or 3. As it is without a good proofread, I think I
PhilipTheWise
I really got into this book. Upton seems to have a knack for pulling the reader into the story. The one word that comes to mind to describe his writing is 'addictive.'

There is the creepy, the scary and the demented, and Upton doesn't hold back on anything, giving everything to the reader in vivid images. Also, he has a wonderfully dark sense of humor.

Simply a great horror read. I think, too, that this would make a fantastic movie, with the right director-- say, Sam Raimi.

Georgiann Hennelly
It,s simply a great horror read.It has everything .There is the creepy, scary and the demented. He doesn,t hold anything back. The author has a wonderful dark sense of humor.
Denise
Nancy
First, you have to get past the poor grammar, spelling and awkward sentences, this is not a well-edited manuscript. Second, read the story that is being told and do not get hung up with the little things like correct tense, word usage or missing letters.

Horror is a very interesting genre, if it is done poorly, it is a travesty, if it is done well, you check under your bed. Mr. Upton has a very good story to tell and if he was blessed with the editors, this writer would be spoken about as a new
Julie
I'm going to start with the most disturbing thing about this book: the grammar, punctuation and spelling. The real horror of this book is that an author with multiple titles would publish something that reads like an English class essay written by an indifferent 8th grader.

As I was reading it, I was trying really hard not to be some blue-haired old lady, nitpicking over commas. But c'mon - there's a reason for grammar and punctuation and that reason is clear communication. Many times, I re-read
Carisa Burns
Dec 01, 2011 Carisa Burns rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: zombie fans
Shelves: favorites
I thought this was a great book. The characters were interesting and I actually loved where the plot went and what the storyline turned into. The wrap up at the end was a bit weak but not enough to complain about. I loved Radcliff. She was interesting and I liked how the beginning got me hooked with her dad's crazy antics and went right into the terryifying storm and everything that happened to the characters stuck in it. It really piqued my interest and held it. I found myself rushing through t ...more
Alli Littell
Cultural appropriation for a cheap thrill.
Andy
For Chrissakes man, get an editor! At the very least, read through your work a couple times before you publish it! The grammar was dismal, the misuse of words was rampant, and the author even forgot his own character's names in parts of the story.

Other than that, the story itself had some interesting themes. I'll admit the "zombie sex scene" was the first I've ever encountered.
Jen
The story was okay, good enough to keep me in it until the end. However, the spelling and grammar were TERRIBLE! Also, I'm pretty sure the author actually got one of his own character's names wrong (writing "Carrie" instead of "Cassie"). Maybe a li9ttle more time in the editing phase next time?
Nicole
This one was a little weird, but still really scary. If you like zombie books this one is a good one and makes you think. It is very graphic and lots of adult language and situations through out. But it was still a good book. Made me a little scared to go to bed at night sometimes.
Heather
I actually give this book a 3 1/2 star rating. This could not have been an edited version because there were so many mistakes it was hard to read at times. Overall the story was good though. This wasn't the average zombie story, more like reanimated possessed dead. Not bad.
Renne
Plenty of action. Sometimes it was hard to keep up with the changing points- of- view as the story progressed. Rich and Rad, I was glad to see, grew closer during this experience and Rad seemed to understand her father a bit better because of it.
Lori
I really liked the book except for the typos, which threw me off a little. Then, in the middle of the book, suddenly there was a guy named Paul, who I assumed was Pat. I would have liked it better if it were edited better...
Janet
OMG! This is my first read by this author. Reminded me of some older stories by Dean Koontz. I was riveted and didn't want to stop reading.
Ana Campanha
This book seemed to be just like one of those really trash bizarre movies that were supposed to scare but in the end were just sad.
E.J.
It was pretty good til 70%, and the last 30 % was like ... WHAT? I wish I knew it was a zombie book. Oh well...
Marie
Great book, well written... my only negative is that it finished odd, with too many questions
Kelly Gressley
I got in to the book but I didn't really liked the ending could of been aliilte better
Mallory Shepherd
Mallory Shepherd marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Shannon Velazquez
Shannon Velazquez marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Julian  Cheek
Julian Cheek marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Jennifer Jobst
Jennifer Jobst marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Leslie Fisher
Leslie Fisher marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Natasha Curulli
Natasha Curulli marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
How to download the free e-book? 10 48 Nov 13, 2009 06:23AM
  • The Family Bones
  • Dark Reckoning
  • Leyla's Locket (Sera Chronicles, #1)
  • White Witch Pond
  • Catharsis
  • Brother's Keeper
  • Unlocked: Ten Key Tales
  • The Noon God
  • Claws
  • Dark Quarry (Mike Angel Mystery #1)
  • Here All Along
  • That Old Black Magic (Mystic Valley, #3)
  • A Child's Wound
  • From Within
  • Woman of Honor (Kingdom of Arnhem, #1)
  • The Usurper
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous (Harlequin Blaze, #390)
1933178
Born in Chicago.Studied advanced writing at Columbia College.

Hopeless Romantic most of the time.
More about Tom Upton...
Just Plain Weird Mourning Doves and other stories. Four by Horror Vanished (Freaky Jules #1) Hellhounds