Start by marking “Scarecrows” as Want to Read:
Scarecrows

Scarecrows

When an ancient evil returns to a small Wisconsin town, the only one who realizes that everybody is in danger is the town "nutcase," a delusional Viet Nam veteran, in whom nobody believes, not even his teen-aged daughter....
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Scarecrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarecrows

KristenR
I'm waffling on what rating to give this book. It started off well and I was enjoying the creepy folklore aspect to the story until about 3/4 of the way in when it changed into a zombie fight. (I like zombies, but to me it just didn't seem to fit with the beginning of the book)

The thing that killed me was the multitude of errors. Typos and wrong words (where/were, too/to, etc.) littered the pages.

I'm not sure if I want to give this book 2 stars or 3. As it is without a good proofread, I think I
PhilipTheWise
May 18, 2009 PhilipTheWise rated it it was amazing
I really got into this book. Upton seems to have a knack for pulling the reader into the story. The one word that comes to mind to describe his writing is 'addictive.'

There is the creepy, the scary and the demented, and Upton doesn't hold back on anything, giving everything to the reader in vivid images. Also, he has a wonderfully dark sense of humor.

Simply a great horror read. I think, too, that this would make a fantastic movie, with the right director-- say, Sam Raimi.

Rebecca McNutt
I really loved the creative and chilling plot to Scarecrows, but Upton's writing style is choppy and the story was clouded over by unnecessary and rather disturbing sex scenes. I didn't really like many of the characters either, they were all rather annoying.
Lori Henrich
Mar 06, 2012 Lori Henrich rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really had to struggle to finish this. I don't particularly like horror stories but that along with one particular element (which I won't mention) really turned me off. I kept going only because I needed to complete a challenge. Not a good reason to keep going but I couldn't find anything else to read that would fit.
Georgiann Hennelly
It,s simply a great horror read.It has everything .There is the creepy, scary and the demented. He doesn,t hold anything back. The author has a wonderful dark sense of humor.
Julie
Nov 22, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok
I'm going to start with the most disturbing thing about this book: the grammar, punctuation and spelling. The real horror of this book is that an author with multiple titles would publish something that reads like an English class essay written by an indifferent 8th grader.

As I was reading it, I was trying really hard not to be some blue-haired old lady, nitpicking over commas. But c'mon - there's a reason for grammar and punctuation and that reason is clear communication. Many times, I re-read
Nancy
Jan 20, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, you have to get past the poor grammar, spelling and awkward sentences, this is not a well-edited manuscript. Second, read the story that is being told and do not get hung up with the little things like correct tense, word usage or missing letters.

Horror is a very interesting genre, if it is done poorly, it is a travesty, if it is done well, you check under your bed. Mr. Upton has a very good story to tell and if he was blessed with the editors, this writer would be spoken about as a new
Denise
Jul 27, 2011 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carisa Burns
Aug 04, 2011 Carisa Burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: zombie fans
Shelves: favorite-authors
I thought this was a great book. The characters were interesting and I actually loved where the plot went and what the storyline turned into. The wrap up at the end was a bit weak but not enough to complain about. I loved Radcliff. She was interesting and I liked how the beginning got me hooked with her dad's crazy antics and went right into the terryifying storm and everything that happened to the characters stuck in it. It really piqued my interest and held it. I found myself rushing through t ...more
Lori
Nov 30, 2011 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book except for the typos, which threw me off a little. Then, in the middle of the book, suddenly there was a guy named Paul, who I assumed was Pat. I would have liked it better if it were edited better...
Heather
Jun 09, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I actually give this book a 3 1/2 star rating. This could not have been an edited version because there were so many mistakes it was hard to read at times. Overall the story was good though. This wasn't the average zombie story, more like reanimated possessed dead. Not bad.
Renne
Jul 09, 2011 Renne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Plenty of action. Sometimes it was hard to keep up with the changing points- of- view as the story progressed. Rich and Rad, I was glad to see, grew closer during this experience and Rad seemed to understand her father a bit better because of it.
Nicole
Nov 26, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a little weird, but still really scary. If you like zombie books this one is a good one and makes you think. It is very graphic and lots of adult language and situations through out. But it was still a good book. Made me a little scared to go to bed at night sometimes.
Jen
The story was okay, good enough to keep me in it until the end. However, the spelling and grammar were TERRIBLE! Also, I'm pretty sure the author actually got one of his own character's names wrong (writing "Carrie" instead of "Cassie"). Maybe a li9ttle more time in the editing phase next time?
Marie
Nov 26, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, well written... my only negative is that it finished odd, with too many questions
Ana Campanha
Dec 19, 2011 Ana Campanha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book seemed to be just like one of those really trash bizarre movies that were supposed to scare but in the end were just sad.
Janet
Sep 30, 2011 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG! This is my first read by this author. Reminded me of some older stories by Dean Koontz. I was riveted and didn't want to stop reading.
E.J.
Dec 05, 2011 E.J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty good til 70%, and the last 30 % was like ... WHAT? I wish I knew it was a zombie book. Oh well...
Alli Littell
Sep 11, 2014 Alli Littell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Cultural appropriation for a cheap thrill.
Motunrayo
Nov 29, 2011 Motunrayo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
ok
Regina Bruce
Regina Bruce rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2015
Jacque
Jacque rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2011
John Utt
John Utt rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2011
Mixofsunandcloud
Mixofsunandcloud rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2011
Homer
Homer rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2009
Handysandy
Handysandy rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2009
Heather Casper
Heather Casper rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
John Cariola
John Cariola rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
How to download the free e-book? 10 48 Nov 13, 2009 06:23AM
  • The Family Bones
  • Dark Reckoning
  • Leyla's Locket (Sera Chronicles, #1)
  • White Witch Pond
  • Rebel Spurs
  • Frozen
  • Claws
  • Murder Genes
  • That Old Black Magic (Mystic Valley, #3)
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • From Within
  • Woman of Honor (Kingdom of Arnhem, #1)
1933178
Born in Chicago.Studied advanced writing at Columbia College.

Hopeless Romantic most of the time.
More about Tom Upton...