Scarecrows

Scarecrows

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  19 reviews
When an ancient evil returns to a small Wisconsin town, the only one who realizes that everybody is in danger is the town "nutcase," a delusional Viet Nam veteran, in whom nobody believes, not even his teen-aged daughter....
Published (first published April 17th 2009)

KristenR
I'm waffling on what rating to give this book. It started off well and I was enjoying the creepy folklore aspect to the story until about 3/4 of the way in when it changed into a zombie fight. (I like zombies, but to me it just didn't seem to fit with the beginning of the book)

The thing that killed me was the multitude of errors. Typos and wrong words (where/were, too/to, etc.) littered the pages.

I'm not sure if I want to give this book 2 stars or 3. As it is without a good proofread, I think I...more
PhilipTheWise
I really got into this book. Upton seems to have a knack for pulling the reader into the story. The one word that comes to mind to describe his writing is 'addictive.'

There is the creepy, the scary and the demented, and Upton doesn't hold back on anything, giving everything to the reader in vivid images. Also, he has a wonderfully dark sense of humor.

Simply a great horror read. I think, too, that this would make a fantastic movie, with the right director-- say, Sam Raimi.

Georgiann Hennelly
It,s simply a great horror read.It has everything .There is the creepy, scary and the demented. He doesn,t hold anything back. The author has a wonderful dark sense of humor.
Denise
Nancy
First, you have to get past the poor grammar, spelling and awkward sentences, this is not a well-edited manuscript. Second, read the story that is being told and do not get hung up with the little things like correct tense, word usage or missing letters.

Horror is a very interesting genre, if it is done poorly, it is a travesty, if it is done well, you check under your bed. Mr. Upton has a very good story to tell and if he was blessed with the editors, this writer would be spoken about as a new...more
Julie
I'm going to start with the most disturbing thing about this book: the grammar, punctuation and spelling. The real horror of this book is that an author with multiple titles would publish something that reads like an English class essay written by an indifferent 8th grader.

As I was reading it, I was trying really hard not to be some blue-haired old lady, nitpicking over commas. But c'mon - there's a reason for grammar and punctuation and that reason is clear communication. Many times, I re-read...more
Carisa Burns
Dec 01, 2011 Carisa Burns rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: zombie fans
Shelves: favorites
I thought this was a great book. The characters were interesting and I actually loved where the plot went and what the storyline turned into. The wrap up at the end was a bit weak but not enough to complain about. I loved Radcliff. She was interesting and I liked how the beginning got me hooked with her dad's crazy antics and went right into the terryifying storm and everything that happened to the characters stuck in it. It really piqued my interest and held it. I found myself rushing through t...more
Andy
For Chrissakes man, get an editor! At the very least, read through your work a couple times before you publish it! The grammar was dismal, the misuse of words was rampant, and the author even forgot his own character's names in parts of the story.

Other than that, the story itself had some interesting themes. I'll admit the "zombie sex scene" was the first I've ever encountered.
Jen
The story was okay, good enough to keep me in it until the end. However, the spelling and grammar were TERRIBLE! Also, I'm pretty sure the author actually got one of his own character's names wrong (writing "Carrie" instead of "Cassie"). Maybe a li9ttle more time in the editing phase next time?
Nicole
This one was a little weird, but still really scary. If you like zombie books this one is a good one and makes you think. It is very graphic and lots of adult language and situations through out. But it was still a good book. Made me a little scared to go to bed at night sometimes.
Heather
I actually give this book a 3 1/2 star rating. This could not have been an edited version because there were so many mistakes it was hard to read at times. Overall the story was good though. This wasn't the average zombie story, more like reanimated possessed dead. Not bad.
Renne
Plenty of action. Sometimes it was hard to keep up with the changing points- of- view as the story progressed. Rich and Rad, I was glad to see, grew closer during this experience and Rad seemed to understand her father a bit better because of it.
Lori
I really liked the book except for the typos, which threw me off a little. Then, in the middle of the book, suddenly there was a guy named Paul, who I assumed was Pat. I would have liked it better if it were edited better...
Janet
OMG! This is my first read by this author. Reminded me of some older stories by Dean Koontz. I was riveted and didn't want to stop reading.
Ana Campanha
This book seemed to be just like one of those really trash bizarre movies that were supposed to scare but in the end were just sad.
E.J.
It was pretty good til 70%, and the last 30 % was like ... WHAT? I wish I knew it was a zombie book. Oh well...
Marie
Great book, well written... my only negative is that it finished odd, with too many questions
Kelly Gressley
I got in to the book but I didn't really liked the ending could of been aliilte better
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Vannessa
Vannessa marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Hunter C.
Hunter C. marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Brian Remmerde
Brian Remmerde marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Wendy B
Wendy B marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Alim Reyes
Alim Reyes marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
How to download the free e-book? 10 48 Nov 13, 2009 06:23AM
  • Leyla's Locket (Sera Chronicles, #1)
  • The Family Bones
  • Brother's Keeper
  • Vampires in Devil Town (Vampires in Devil Town, #1)
  • Constellation Chronicles: The Lost Civilization of Aries
  • The Kult
  • The Phantom Of Valletta
  • Secret of the Sands
  • Here All Along
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • The Second Virgin Birth
  • The Noon God
  • Dandelions in the Garden (Countess Elizabeth Bathory, #1)
  • Her Sanctuary
  • Thaw
  • From Within
  • The Dark Path
  • Pale Immortal (Pale Immortal, #1)
1933178
Born in Chicago.Studied advanced writing at Columbia College.

Hopeless Romantic most of the time.
More about Tom Upton...
Just Plain Weird Mourning Doves and other stories. Four by Horror Vanished (Freaky Jules #1) Forever Freaky