Start by marking “A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)

A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew #3)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  614 ratings  ·  28 reviews
It is 1392, and Matthew Bartholomew, physician to Michaelhouse College, is called to examine some mysterious bones found in the King's Ditch. The next day he is called to the Ditch again—a student has been found dead there. Meanwhile, there is unrest in the town, and the strange disappearance of Dominica, the former lover of the dead student. Are these events connected? Th ...more
Published May 1st 1998 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Bone of Contention, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bone of Contention

Kristi Thompson
Historical mystery, about the same time as Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael mysteries, but in some ways struck me as anti-cadfael - the setting was gritty, grimy, clear sense of the period's stifling attitudes, general unrest and grinding poverty, odd inaccurate medical theories and lack of hygiene. Very different from Peters' nice clean wholesome monastery and helpful herbalist!

And yet, it wasn't _grim_. The characters belonged to their times and didn't expect different, and lived their lives as b
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Villain has bad case of "James Bond movie villain talking disease," but entertaining enough.

For a further review: http://susannag.booklikes.com/post/78... .
Kris
Evil Overlord List:

#6 - I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.
#7 - When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you kill me, will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll say, "No." and shoot him. No, on second thought I'll shoot him then say "No."

So many villians fail to read this list *sigh*

ABone of Contention is a twisty, though not to Jonathon Kellerman levels of twisty, mystery based on an old lynching some twenty-five years in the past.
Georgiana 1792
Un nuovo Fratello Cadfael?

Si sa che i giovani studenti universitari sono spesso turbolenti. Ma accadeva anche a Cambridge nel 1352? A quanto pare sì. In una cittadina in cui le tensioni fra cittadini e istituzioni universitarie (gestite dagli ordini religiosi) erano al limite, e sfociavano spesso in scaramucce e talvolta in rivolte, in una cittadina che era appena stata decimata dalla Peste Nera del 1348, e che stava cercando di risollevarsi dai disastri provocati dall’epidemia; in una Cambridge
Loup Garou
Der Schatten der Pest liegt über Cambridge. Die Gläubigen suchen Schutz in der Macht heiliger Reliquien. Doch die Knochenhand eines Märtyrers, die Doctor Bartholomew zur Prüfung vorgelegt wird, ist viel zu bleich, um jahrelang im Sumpf gemodert zu haben. Und sie trägt einen Ring, wie er zuletzt die Hand eines Studenten schmückte. Eines Studenten, der letzte Nacht ermordet wurde.

"Ein falscher Heiliger" ist wie die anderen Teile der Reihe vollgepackt mit Informationen, Personen, Orten und Handlung
LJ
A BONE OF CONTENTION (Historical-Cambridge, England-1352) – G+
Gregory, Susanna – 3rd in series
LIttle, Brown & Company, 1997– UK Hardcover – ISBN 0316882301
*** Physician and teacher Matthew Bartholomew is summoned by Brother Michael to the King’s Ditch by the Hall of Valence Marie to identify bones found among the rubbish and sewage of the ditch. The Master of Valence is hoping the bones will be from the martyr Simon d’Ambrey in order to make the Hall famous and shower the Hall with gifts and
Steve
Like the first two novels in the series, this is a fun read. A very intricate mystery, set against a background of a well-realized Medieval University. The attempts at humor made me smile, but not laugh. But that didn't mar my enjoyment of the novel.
Lesley
I'm enjoying reading this historical crime series set in the 1300's by Susanna Gregory. I read the first in the series after moving to Cambridge, and it has really given me a feel for the early development of the university. You don't have to read the series in order, which is a good thing as the books rarely appear on the library shelves and largely have to be reserved.

Historically, all the books I've read in the series seem to have a good degree of accuracy about life, medicine and politics. T
Wayne Farmer
This series is starting to hit its stride and this story had me gripped from the beginning. The characters have started to come alive and the friendship of Matthew and Michael is one of the things that keeps the book going. As usual the historical side of things is well researched and its interesting to see how such chaotic unrest could be caused for what to us seem like the silliest of things. What i really enjoyed this time was the small injection of humour into the book with Matthew totally c ...more
Nicky
I don't know why it took me so long to read this book - it was quite nicely written and pleasant to read. The characters ans historical setting were nicely depicted. It was just that the plot seemed a little 'forced' or 'contrived'and it didn't leave you with that feeling of satisfaction you usually get when the solution to the mystery is revealed. I would probably be happy to read another one (this was a gift)to see if I enjoyed that story any better.
Donna
Mar 28, 2014 Donna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Brother Cadfael fans
Read again 03/28/14 for Maze mystery group.

I didn't remember much, if anything, of this story. All of the Matthew Bartholomew books have really complex puzzles which are not easy to solve. There wasn't too much in this one that included "fair play" clues to help you try to deduce the solution. As before, the history was great and, from my researches, quite accurate.

There were parts of this book which seemed quite tedious, but like all good detectives, Matthew takes some time getting all the clue
Scilla
This mid 14th century mystery takes place in Cambridge, England. There is an aspect of town versus gown, with additional prejudice for the Scots. The main characters are Mathew Bartholomew, a doctor, and Brother Michael, Senior Proctor, both at Michaelhouse. The current problems seem to be related to the killing of Simon D'Ambrey 25 years previously. A Scotch student is murdered; then there are riots. The book was fairly fast moving and I enjoyed it, although it's not great literature.
Alex
Excellent! I had read another series of books by this same author, and was rather dejected to find out there weren't any others...until I realized the author was using a pseudonym and that Susanna Gregory was indeed Simon Beaufort (real name Elizabeth Cruwys). And this book didn't disappoint. You do, however, risk losing some sleep if you're anything like me because I just couldn't put it down until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.
Sars
2.5 stars.

My beef wasn't with the characters, the history, or the writing style. I may continue to read Gregory's books.

That this book was so weak was purely down to the plot. It was ridiculously convoluted and contrived. The explanations were highly implausible. When Matt and co uncover the dastardly doings, their rationale for how they figured it all out were paper thin.
Michele Buono
I like these books; they are very well-written, but I dread reading the last 50 pages. The murderer and accomplices will be found out, the heroes will be in danger,they'll escape only to be put into more danger before the law comes along to rescue them. And of course, the inevitable unraveling of the dastardly deeds explaining all the whys and wherefores of the crimes.
Itsbecka
I believe that this is the first book in the Matthew Bartholomew Chronicles. It's a medieval crime-fighting doctor, written by a real medieval historian so it's a little less fantasic that some of the other ones out there. I do really enjoy the characters - except the first book was a little hard to get through. The rest were good!
Annie Jones
I enjoy the historical background of this series. The plot thickened nicely and included surprises at the end. It was a bit slow in parts but that may have been because I read it in bits and starts when I found the time so I lost the thread occasionally and had to reread.
Anietta
Probably one of my favourite novels from the Matthew Bartholomew chronicles. The mysteries are exquisitely crafted and woven together. Susanna Gregory has gifted the characters with rich and diverse personalities, they're a pleasure to discover and learn about.
Kathy Davie
I do enjoy reading of the lifestyle of both town and gown and experiencing the medical knowledge. Gregory writes well and detailed, yet, her main character is driving me nuts. He's so oblivious for such an intelligent man.
Zorah
I like the overview of the 1300's by Susanna Gregory. Fledgling Cambridge University, The challenge of life in the 1300's. Medicine vs Superstition. I find Susanna Gregory a little wordy but I'm definately a fan!
Roshni
Great book. I have read the Thomas Chaloner series by Gregory and loved those, and the Bartholemew series is just as entertaining. Matt is a versatile main character and the mystery is delightfully complex. Loved it.
Andy Field
One of the best Matthew Bartholomew books. Lots of action and tension. Good character development of Matthew and Michael the Senior Proctor.
great read and i am growing to like the characters more and more as i read each story in this series. looking forward to the next one :)
Zorah
Cambridge in Medievaltimes was less than a safe place for both city dwellers and students.
Richard Farley
Great as usual. Chapters can be long though lol. Great Characters look forward to next book.
Margareth8537
This series provides an entertaining read. Differences between Town and Gown in medieval Cambridge.
Alice
A classic mystery. I can always rely on a Matthew Bartholomew story.
kelly
Another good book in the series
ShanP
ShanP marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
  • By Murder's Bright Light (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #5)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Issac Of Girona, #1)
Susanna Gregory is the pseudonym of Elizabeth Cruwys, a Cambridge academic who was previously a coroner's officer. She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysteries featuring Matthew Bartholomew, a teacher of medicine and investigator of murders in 14th-century Cambridge.

AKA Simon Beaufort

She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysterie
More about Susanna Gregory...

Matthew Bartholomew (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • A Masterly Murder (Matthew Bartholomew, #6)
  • An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)
  • A Summer of Discontent (Matthew Bartholomew, #8)
  • A Killer in Winter (Matthew Bartholomew, #9)
  • The Hand of Justice (Matthew Bartholomew, #10)
  • The Mark of a Murderer (Matthew Bartholomew, #11)
A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1) An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2) A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4) A Conspiracy of Violence (Thomas Chaloner, #1) A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)