Start by marking “Dead Silence” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Cries From the Past

Mass Market, 464 pages
Published March 1st 1999 by HarperTorch

To ask other readers questions about Dead Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Silence

Patsy
Jul 03, 2015 Patsy rated it really liked it
A Minnesota writer

Fifteen years ago, the Hathaway brothers--Jed, 8, Matt, 6, and Danny, 4--disappeared along the banks of the Mississippi River. Except for the baseball caps they'd been wearing, the boys vanished without a trace. After an extensive investigation, the police ruled the brothers had drowned. Their mother believed otherwise. Convinced they were stolen, she still insists they are alive.

Investigative journalist Alex Collier, anchorman of the Twin Cities' leading late news, is determi
Theresa
Dec 14, 2009 Theresa rated it really liked it
In 1983, the three Hathaway brothers – Jed, 8, Matt, 6 and Andrew, 4 – disappeared along the banks of the Mississippi. Two of the boys baseball caps were found, but not other sign of the boys, including their bodies is every recovered. Authorities believe the boys drowned, but their mother never loses hope that they are still alive.

Anchorman Alex Collier’s career as the top anchorman at a Twin Cities television station is being threatened and he is trying to re-exam what he really wants to do wi
shuurei
Jun 26, 2012 shuurei rated it really liked it
I cannot literally bring down the book. It was a page turner to me. The very story is unique to me. I admire the tenacity of the parents of these lost children especially the news anchor. The development of the story was good and the revelation of the incidents. However, the ending was bland.
Liz
Aug 07, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
Handberg's prose improves with each novel. The story is loosely based on the Klein brothers' disappearance. It was fun to read all of his 'CCO connections and Minnesota references. As a former reporter, the newsroom management characters were spot on.
Lyn
Jun 16, 2012 Lyn rated it really liked it
The writing was ok, the story was really good, definitely kept me interested and I couldn't put it down. The ending fell little flat. Overall a good, quick read.
Jessica
Jun 14, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
S.L.O.W start. It took a good 125, 150 pages to get into it but, when it did, I couldn't stop reading. Good ending but I would have liked more explanation.
Elizabeth
Jul 13, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Tough story, based on a true story of three brothers who disappeared.....but well written and interesting to follow. Another new author for me.
Zoe
Jul 26, 2007 Zoe rated it liked it
This story is set in Minnesota, I think that was partly the draw. I enjoy reading "investigation" stories and this one was good!
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Michelle Lyman
Michelle Lyman is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Nicole Rosenow
Nicole Rosenow marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Kelley Nyberg
Kelley Nyberg marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
E. Keady
E. Keady marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Hawley
Hawley added it
Jan 22, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
john
john marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Mike Bunting
Mike Bunting marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Ominarianda
Ominarianda rated it really liked it
May 15, 2015
Gloria
Gloria is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Betty Schindler
Betty Schindler marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015