Start by marking “Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation” as Want to Read:
Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation

Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  55 reviews
It all begins on Christmas morning, 1978. Dan Kennedy is ten years old and wants a black Gibson Les Paul guitar, the kind Peter Frampton plays. It will be his passport to the coolest (only) band in the neighborhood—Jokerz. He doesn’t get it. Instead, his parents present him with what they think he wants most, a real-estate loan calculator (called the Loan Arranger) and a m...more
Published August 24th 2004 by Crown Archetype (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Loser Goes First, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loser Goes First

Bryan
Let's take a look at the praise for this book according to back cover:

Laugh out loud funny: False. I may have chucked silently to myself a couple times over the course of reading but I may have been thinking about something funnier; like nuclear destruction.

Dan Kennedy first had to read a Laugh out loud funny life: False. In this book he basically comes off as a lazy slacker with an aversion to any actual work or activity that would be productive to society in general.

Flat out Brilliant: False...more
Jessica
Laugh out loud funny, which can be kind of a problem if you're reading it in a surgeon's waiting room and no one else seems to be in the mood to listen to you giggle. Looking forward to his next one, which I think it due out in February.
Darren
Mar 05, 2013 Darren rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Darren by: The devil
What a waste of time. I heard the author telling a story on NPR and thought it was good so decided to read one of his books. First of all, the cover is a stock image which has been used in other ads I've seen, I think Microsoft used it. The same lack of care was used in the writing of this book. I am of the same generation as the author and, I suppose, was supposed to find his lack of ambition and activity to be amusing. I was looking forward to a nostalgic trip back to the Gen X slacker days bu...more
Malinda
Like most of the books that I read, this was a random pull from the library shelf. Dan Kennedy is very funny and wrote this book chronicling his attempt to reach adulthood. The interesting thing about this book is that it isn't just straight chapters and narrative. That normal prose is included, but there are also lists, open letters, imaginary speeches, and a variety of other random things that all come together to tell this story. It made me smile quite a few times.
Deb Davis
This book was in desperate need of an editor. I knew I was in trouble when I read the following on page 2: "I walked with the epic slow pace of a bishop...with the timing of a monk and the casual sort of confidence not unlike that of a pope or a church owner/manager or whatever men happened to walk in churches with a deliberate pace."

That is just one example of many tortured sentences. I made it to page 10 and called it a day.
Erik
I read this book yesterday. Yep, one book, one day. It's that short. The book came dangerously close to violating my primary directive of novels: don't use characters that take their bad luck and compound on it to make more bad luck. Clowngirl fell into this hole. Confederacy of Dunces did as well. Kennedy never quite sank to that level. His failures were balanced by his successes, and besides, he's funny. That's good enough for me.
Kevin Kosar
My mind was exhausted. I wasn't ready for sleep, but I hadn't the stomach for TV. All the magazines and nonfiction books by my bed were just too much. I need an easy read---easier than any of the few dozen paperback mysteries piled up by my desk.

And there it was---Dan Kennedy's Loser Goes First....(read more)
Emily Sapp
Really well written. I believe I may have even LOL'd. A light, quick, easy read -- great for those of us enjoying an extended adolescence.
Ben
the title is pretty amazing. i like this book's honesty, and occasionally liked its style of humor, but it kinda meanders.
Audrey
Some deeply hilarious moments, but maybe not enough. Seemed like a self-help primer for the Judd Apatow set.
Jack Casey
Well, I thought this book was good because, it first took place on Christmas 1978 in Southern California, and the main charcter, Dan got a loan calculator, and some GE deejay stuff, as well.
Then, in 1979, Dan Kennedy the protagonist in the story, tries to become involved in a rock band at school, but he just gets humiliated by his friends. A year later in 1980, his family moves to a small mountain town in northern California to find work because of a transfer, so along the way Dan struggules wit...more
I kept waiting for this to get better and somehow it never did. I got this one on the strength of Mountain Man Dance Moves, which Kennedy contributed to and which was one of the funniest books I've read in the past ten years or so. This was a completely different genre, of course -- a memoir instead of a book of lists -- so I guess it wasn't quite fair to hold him to such high expectations, especially because he only contributed to the previous book. In any event, I was all set to love this, and...more
Michael
Found it in a book exchange, read it during a day on the beach. I admit to occasionally chuckling, but I certainly did not "laugh out loud" as the cover claims. Poorly written, barely structured, not particularly interesting, there's really not too much positive to say about this book.
John
Not nearly as good as "Rock On", his second book, this is a conglomeration of autobiographical detritus and journal entries. It reads like the first draft of a screenplay or sitcom or stand-up comedy routine. A) It can't decide what it is, B) There are some genuinely funny bits in it C) It has no real plot D) There's a lot of stuff that's funny... if you were there.

Dan Kennedy can write a devastatingly satirical piece on entertainment. Find his "light bulb" bit from "Rock On", it's incredibly f...more
Clackamas
I knew 15 pages in that I didn't like this book, but I finished it anyway. It just wasn't interesting or funny.

The author has had opportunity after opportunity dropped in his lap and never shows any appreciation for it. Instead, he whines, squanders his chances, and unapologetically lets people down. The book was written in a stream of consciousness format that can be great if done properly, but this wasn't. All of that could make interesting, though frustrating reading if of were at least funn...more
Foxglow
Several belly laughs, and a lot of memories.
Mackenzie
I read this book because I listen to the Moth podcast and I always wondered who Dan Kennedy was. Then one day they started advertising the books he's written so I had to go out and find one. He writes like he speaks which is very comfortable and easy to read. I only gave 3 stars because his narrative doesn't go deep into the different stages of his life. It sometimes feels like he is still using humor as a defense mechanism and decided to write a whole book that way. Still, it was interesting an...more
Alexandra Hilditch
I loved this book, but then Kennedy's work history is somewhat tangential to mine, so I can really relate. An autobiographical look at the moments in life when one must step back and ask, "Wait, how did I even get to this point?," Loser Goes First... is a simultaneous shot of confidence and reality for the other lucky losers of the world. If you aren't familiar, check out Kennedy's essays on McSweeney's Internet Tendency for a sampling of his sense of humor and style: http://www.mcsweeneys.net/a...more
Gregory
I laughed pretty hard at some choice moments in this book (his description of trying to dangle his legs out a window to fool a friend washing dishes on the first floor, which resulted in his falling out the window was pretty hilarious). Overall I thought it started strong and petered out. His tales of young humiliation were much funnier than his later years of just lucking into things. A quick, fun light-hearted read...but I still prefer Paul Feig's book Kick Me for a good tale of loserdom.
Chris Hite
So not exactly the sort of book that requires a year to read, but a fun memoir of a guy whose endless string of wrong turns and poor choices culminates in a whatever happens, happens sort of life strategy. Not self help per se, but for a slacker or someone who is having trouble finding their way in life, this book helps to expose the very real fact that that sort of reality is not all that uncommon. Reassuring to say the least. Very funny at points, pretty witty and dry at points.
Katie Tatton
This is the growing-up story (well, kind of, as I quit reading far past his legal adulthood but well before his becoming an actual grown-up) of the author, who through a series of poor decisions and laziness is on the fast track to Loserville. Parts of the book were quite funny, but a strong undercurrent of sadness floated just beneath the surface of the story. This is one of the few books I've had on my To Read list for years that I just could not finish.
Coffeeboss
I preferred Dan Kennedy's Rock On!, probably because it was more focused. However this book came first. This is basically a self-effacing bio of a Generation X-er, with all the miserable failures, terrible jobs, and slackerdom that seemed to define many people of my age in the 90s especially. Though his tales are often cringe-inducing, Kennedy is still a very funny writer. If you like his other stuff, you'll enjoy this one, too.
David
A horrible book. I guess run-on sentences are supposed to be "hip"-like the author, but it was a boring read about an interesting life, with an interesting career path. But,the author is self-negating to a fault-just turning it into a depressing, unfunny joke.

If he can write a book on his life, probably any of us can. The only positive it shows is that with my weird path of various jobs probably isn't that unusual.
I got this from Amazon (bad for author's - I know, some of my books have sold for .01 Cents, I will never make royalties again, just enjoy an eternal Half Life of the embers of print) - because Rock On was so fricking hysterical. And this is, too. Except that nobody else gets to be ruefully self deprecating and honest, now, or have any sobered up perspective on adolescence, because you can't top this one!
Jessica
Sep 11, 2007 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone under 40
All I can say about this book is that while reading it I started laughing so hard that I was crying, and I happened to be at the airport and the lady in the chair next to me said "that's the best damn book recommendation a person can give!"

Don't know officially if it was really that funny, or if I was just on the verge of a professional nervous breakdown, but either way, I'm going to give it 4 stars...
Tim Stewart
I had read his other book about working as a writer for the music business and only months later stumbled onto this earlier book he had done. Hilarious read, but I will say that if you don't like it in the first chapter, you're not going to like it anymore by the last -- there's a motif here about losing that you either love or hate -- but if you're on board early you'll be LAUGHING HARD!!
Marty Day
After finishing Rock On!, I was very excited to follow up with Kennedy's earlier memoir. Man, was I wrong. Compared to the witty, enjoyable nature of Rock On!, Loser Goes First is a plodding, disjointed read. There are some bright spots (his memories of post-grunge Seattle are pretty great), but I guess I just can't relate to someone who isn't driven in life.
Janet
I think Dan Kennedy is a really funny, personable, smart guy. This book didn't reflect the charisma and humor he brings to speaking engagements, on-stage performances, Moth hostings, or even real-life conversation. The book is funny, all right, but when held in contrast to the real-life guy, it seemed a little lackluster. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by meeting this celebrity author! :)
Sean Carman
Dan Kennedy's hilarious memoir about his journey of noble life failures, from the junior high school band he never quite joined to his position as creative director of a dotcom that e-mailed jokes to its subscribers. Here is where I would write the sentence that perfectly sums up this clever, hilarious, and at just the right number of times genuinely moving debut.
Lisa
This book is pretty terrible.

I found it in a villa among many other not-awesome free books. I put it into my luggage thinking it would be better than nothing on the plane. I was was wrong.

It was only mildly entertaining, in the way reality television is. I do sort of like the random format. But it seems like it would benefit from some editing.
  • Tiny Ladies in Shiny Pants: Based on a True Story
  • Everybody into the Pool: True Tales
  • The Day I Turned Uncool: Confessions of a Reluctant Grown-up
  • Why I'm Like This: True Stories
  • (Not that You Asked): Rants, Exploits, and Obsessions
  • The Second City Unscripted: Revolution and Revelation at the World-Famous Comedy Theater
  • Kick Me: Adventures in Adolescence
  • The Center of the Universe: A Memoir
  • Requiem for a Paper Bag: Celebrities and Civilians Tell Stories of the Best Lost, Tossed, and Found Items from Around the World
  • The Customer Is Always Wrong: The Retail Chronicles
  • An Unreasonable Woman: A True Story of Shrimpers, Politicos, Polluters, and the Fight for Seadrift, Texas
  • People Are Unappealing: Even Me
  • Bare: The Naked Truth About Stripping
  • Your Wildest Dreams, Within Reason
  • 10th Grade: A Novel
  • Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!
  • The Rants
  • I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name. This is New York novelist Dan Kennedy of The Moth, not the business advice guru.

Dan Kennedy is an American writer living in New York and host of The Moth storytelling podcast. He is the author of three books: "Loser Goes First" (Random House, 2004), "Rock On" (Algonquin, 2008), and "American Spirit: A Novel" (A...more
More about Dan Kennedy...
Rock On: An Office Power Ballad American Spirit: A Novel The Insomniac Reader: Stories of the Night We Are The Friction