Start by marking “The Name on My Wrist” as Want to Read:
The Name on My Wrist

Read Book

The Name on My Wrist

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
James, middle-aged, is given to one-night flings with younger men in whom he searches for someone he lost long ago. A random comment by his latest catch draws his mind back to the past, to a boy he once loved so fiercely, a boy drafted and sent to fight in Vietnam.

A boy lost in the war. A boy James has never forgotten.
Published 2009 by JMS Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Name on My Wrist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Name on My Wrist

Lily
Jan 14, 2010 Lily rated it liked it
Recommended to Lily by: Free story from JM Snyder's site
This is a poignant look back at a love lost but never forgotten. James is a man who likes to have one-night stands with younger men that remind him of the love of his life. When he was 17 years old his lover was drafted and eventually sent to Vietnam. Sadly, Don dies over there and James never really gets over his death.

In this short, 10 pages only, story James is caught by a phrase the young man he's with makes and thrown back into his memories of Don and their love. It's an emotional look at h
Lucy
Apr 16, 2011 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Very short story that I'm actually glad wasn't longer, because the sadness of it, and the futility of boys going to war, made me hysterical. Amazing job of conveying that much pain into just a few pages, and it made my heart hurt.
Passerby
Jul 24, 2013 Passerby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, memories, war
For such a short story what a STORY it is! One can say "its only few damn lines, what could be so special about it?". Well, with no hesitation I would put TNMW next to any book with 200 pages and even more and still this story would be serious rival if not the winner.
This is what I call a mastery of writing – to catch the heart of it all by such a little amount of words. To make me feel it myself. The story is capable of opening your eyes more and let you see what you were blind about before or
Ami
Jan 27, 2010 Ami rated it it was amazing
Oh, God, I cried, I really cried. This is a very sad short story. And for less than 10 pages, the emotion is thick enough for me to feel it. Emotion of losing your only love, forever. If you want a story that breaks your heart, this is it. Just prepare kleenex when you do read it *sob*
Mel
Jan 08, 2011 Mel rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, e-book, free-stuff
It's a true testament to the author's quality that she's able to make her readers emotional with only 10 pages.
This was sad and very beautiful.
Anna  (Bananas!)
Mar 27, 2013 Anna (Bananas!) rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, shortstack
Good for what it is - an extremely short story about a man who lost his 19-yr-old love in the Vietnam War.
CrazyMoo
Sep 12, 2014 CrazyMoo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, owned
Free from the App Store.

Such a small book but yet it packed a bloody overwhelming punch.

Thank you to the author for this book.

Liz (Bugetta)
Jul 07, 2014 Liz (Bugetta) rated it really liked it
Damn you, JM Snyder! This short vignette was so sad and beautifully written. It made me feel and cry and all that stupid stuff.
Regencyfan93
Oct 24, 2014 Regencyfan93 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
Not only does this bok make me feel sad, it makes me feel old. I am not as old as James, I can remeber 1969. So much times has passed. James has done things with his life. There is a gaping hole which can never be filled.

It was kind of amusing that the young guy mistook the POW-MIA bracelet for a medical alert bracelet.
AnnaLund
Sep 02, 2013 AnnaLund rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
And then they ask me why I am dead against wars.
Beautiful short story, free read here on GR.
I cried like a little girl.

***
eta
just read it again. that makes four times.
*sigh*
someone asked me where to find it: Smashwords, here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...
Mara Ismine
Jan 17, 2010 Mara Ismine rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, male-male, 2010
This was a very poignant story, certainly not Happy Ever After or even Happy For Now. But it was beautiful in a sad way. It invokes the power of first love and tradgedy without being overly sentimental or self-indulgent.

Not a happy romp like the Powers of Love series. It had me in tears by the end.
Marcia Carrington
Introspective short story where the narrative's central relationship is intimately portrayed, sometimes with an uncomfortably realistic level of emotional detail which makes the reader believe they are watching a true story unfold, and that they are intruding on the events.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Apr 22, 2012 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, freebies, ebook
Very sad story about young love lost but never forgotten. His first love is killed in Vietnam barely out of boot camp. He wears his lost love's name on his wrist as a constant reminder. Though he is with other boys sexually, he is unable to give more of himself.
Bookbee
A very short story. Just 10 tiny pages. I wanted more. But I guess that's the point. There SHOULD be more than 10 pages for Pvt. Donald L. Jones...for all the young men, in all the wars, who never make it home to those who love them.
Crimson
Jan 11, 2013 Crimson rated it it was amazing
This story breaks my heart every time I read it, yet, I can't NOT reread it. It is beautiful, sad, heart-wrenching, but oh so poignant and real. One of my favorites.
Amy
Jan 09, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbtq, 2011, short-story
This was too short! I really enjoyed the flashbacks. The present stuff wasn't near as interesting. A lot of emotion packed into such a short story.
Kathleen
Dec 18, 2011 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, short
This story was only about 5 pages long but nevertheless managed to reduce me to tears. It was very poignant vignette of man remember a lost love.
MJB
Sep 02, 2011 MJB rated it it was amazing
This story was such a surprise - but in a very good way. It was one of the most heart-felt and touching books I've read, maybe ever.
Bark's Book Nonsense
Feb 10, 2011 Bark's Book Nonsense marked it as to-read
Shelves: e-book
Currently free, free I kid you not, at Smashwords.com
Kirsty~Vhixen
way too short...and no sex.

it was about a poor old guy who'd lost his teenage love to the war.
Daanquai
Aug 04, 2011 Daanquai rated it it was amazing
While this was an extremely short story, it was sooooo good. I cried.
Holly
Jun 19, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it
This brought tears to my eyes.
Lisa
OMG! What a sad, short book.
Kirstin Mcfarland
*silent sobs*

That is all.
Karen K
Apr 22, 2010 Karen K rated it really liked it
This broke my heart.
Kelvin Thompson
Kelvin Thompson rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Kcd1982
Kcd1982 rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
  • The Way to Will
  • Lions and Tigers and Snares
  • Midnight
  • Friction (Dominion, #0.1)
  • Blindsided
  • The Storyteller
  • Breaking Point
  • Bourbon Affair (Pentacles of Magick #2.5)
  • Jailhouse Rock
  • Second Chance
  • If It Ain't Love
  • First Kiss
  • Temptation
  • Innocence to the Max (Iunctiō Cōpula, #0.5)
  • Dark Angel (Vampire #.5)
  • Be My Boy
  • Night Watch (The Telling, #2)
  • Into the Bermuda Triangle (Turbulence, #1)
An author of gay erotic/romantic fiction, J.M. Snyder began in self-publishing and worked with Amber Allure, Aspen Mountain, eXcessica, and Torquere Presses.

Snyder's highly erotic short gay fiction has been published online at Amazon Shorts, Eros Monthly, Ruthie's Club, and Tit-Elation, as well as in anthologies by Alyson Books, Aspen Mountain, Cleis Press, eXcessica Publishing, Lethe Press, and R
More about J.M. Snyder...