Start by marking “Mania” as Want to Read:
Mania

Mania

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  138 reviews
A City Gripped By Fear. . .Seattle newspaper photographer Nick Wilder has snapped his fair share of gruesome homicide scenes. But when a serial killer dubbed the Street Butcher takes his sick crimes to new depths of depravity, Nick finds the case suddenly getting to him in more ways than one. . .

A Killer Who Knows No End. . .

With each new murder Nick is shocked by what he
Published November 1st 2009 by Pinnacle Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mania, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mania

Michelle
Note: I won this book free through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway, which in no way influenced my rating or review. This review can also be found here: http://bit.ly/XkFB8i

This book was like a grade-A steak sandwich on moldy bread. I hated the beginning and end, loved the middle. It started off very slowly, which is an odd thing to say for a story that begins with a murder. Larsen's descriptions of scenery seem like filler rather than setting any mood, and slow the pace down. But with the int
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: a revolted 3* of five

I don't think thrillers are all created equal. I think this book is a thriller because there isn't a sales category called "Noir" although, given the rate at which this kind of novel is being published, there soon will be.

I wasn't thrilled by the gory, bloody, lovingly depicted death and torture in the book. I wasn't thrilled by the editor's decision to leave a dizzying number of time-shifts in place. I wasn't thrilled by the sheer vileness of so many of the characte
Kelly
What can I say here to urge everyone to try this book? It was outstanding. A brilliant debut thriller, from a talented new author who will undoubtedly join the ranks of Dennis Lehane and James Siegel. This man is a genius. I started reading Mania day before yesterday and finished it about an hour ago. I found myself carrying it around with me all weekend long, not wanting to put it down until I'd finished; yet at the same time, I didn't want it to end. It was that good.

The story in Mania takes
Nancy Oakes
Marvin
Graig Larsen's mesmerizing thriller Mania may be a little disorienting for the first 50 pages. He starts with a shocker and then moves from present to past and back in a way that at first seems random. Yet every movement and every character in this suspenseful mystery holds a meaning. Very soon you are hooked. I thought I was following the clues and thought I understood where it was going but was pleasingly shocked at the ending. A good mystery writer surprises you at the end but leads you so we ...more
Janelle Dazzlepants
Wow. Without meaning to sound totally cliche, this book is really quite unpredictable. I thought it was going to be some typical psychological thriller, where the main character suffers from blackouts and kills people; or where the events are really figments in the mind of a hospitalized psychopath. It wasnt.

Once I'd realised that this book wasn't going in that typical psychological thriller direction, I really had no idea where it was going! There were a number of subplots going on, and I hone
Cathie
My copy of "Mania" was part of the Goodreads giveaways, so I'd first like to give a *HUGE* thank you to the author, Craig Larsen, for sending this copy to me.

I've really agonized over how to rate this book. In the end I gave it only 2 stars - not because it was a bad book - but because I felt it was too predictable. That is to say that I felt like I knew who the bad guys - or most of them - were from the first page of their introduction, so when they turned out to be the bad guys I wasn't surpri
Georgiann Hennelly
Mania is an interesting read. Nick Wilder is a photographer for a newspaper he mostly photographs crime scene s. But when his brother Sam is murdered by the Street Butcher. Nick finds the case is getting to him in more ways than one. He,s not sleeping , he has disturbing dreams and flash backs to his child hood. Nick doesn,t know what is happening is he losing his mind. As the motives multiply and the suspects narrow , the cold stark Seattle winter gets even colder. the ending is a little confus ...more
Jim
If nothing else, this book succeeded in 1) keeping me up way too late and 2) keeping me hooked. There are some nit-picky things I could get into but for a debut, Larsen has really hit the mark. He's done a great job with pacing and while there are spots where the flow is a bit jolting for the reader this is easy to overlook. The characters elicit emotional responses, both good and bad as appropriate which, for my money, is the name of the game.
Danielle
Initially a I kept putting off reading this book because I was afraid of how it would end. I'm a Happily Ever After kind of girl and from the very beginning this story took me outside of my comfort zone. But let me clear up any misconceptions, THIS MYSTERY/THRILLER IS GREAT!!! From the very beginning, I was asking myself what the hell is going on. I pride myself on being able to easily figure out a mystery but this one kept me second guessing myself. The book read like a movie (and I love moview ...more
Vicky
Scared to think that one day you could be Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hide? Nick Wilder, photographer for the Seattle Telegraph, finds he’s loosing control, but is it as simple as a magic potion or is it something more? Could the cure be finding out what’s the ultimate cost of money and power?

Nick, younger brother to Sam, finds he’s deep in the throws of conspiracy, murder, and mayhem. Problem is he doesn’t know where he fits in and who the players are. In the end betrayal tells the tale.

Craig Larson pai
Amy
Mar 15, 2010 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves thrillers, crime novels, or Shutter Island :)
Shelves: first-reads, 2010, own
I won this book on Goodreads! I can't wait to read it!

I think if I could, I would rate this a 4.5. I feel bad for the timing of receiving the book and the corresponding events of my life because it took me far too long to really sit down and READ this book. Once I sat down to really read it, on Friday night, it was difficult to set it down. I enjoyed this book as much as I enjoyed Shutter Island.

Larsen's Mania centers around Nick, a young newspaper reporter. A killer known as the Street Butcher
Batsap
I won this book through a first reads giveaway, so thank you to Craig Larson for sending me a copy.

Centering on the events surrounding the death of protagonist Nick Wilder's brother, this novel immediately drew me into the confusing and claustrophobic mental world that Nick inhabits. Almost from the very first sentence I could feel the cloying anxiety that seemed to effect Nick.

Frequent flashbacks throughout the novel also add to the atmosphere. Each time there is a flashback, a new piece of inf
Kari Anderson
On the rainy streets of Seattle, Nick Wilder is leaving a bar with his brother one moment, waking up and finding his brother dead the next. Nick is a photojournalist for a newspaper and with the snap of a finger, things start getting stranger and stranger for him. He starts blacking out and people start dying. Is he the one doing the killing? Why is he always around when the victims are found? And why are so many homeless men involved in murders?

This is one of those books that I can only read ev
Robin
This is a thriller/mystery by a new author and I am still trying to decide if I liked it or not and really, really wish the ratings would allow for ½ star as I would give it a 3.5. Nick, a newspaper photographer, witnesses an attack on his brother by a man who could be the Street Butcher and then everything goes black. When Nick comes to, he finds the police have arrived and his brother is being carried away. He then launches an investigation on the dark and seedy streets of Seattle to find who ...more
Gina
Mar 06, 2010 Gina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: suspense/mystery/thriller readers.
Recommended to Gina by: The author himself
♦Jennifer♦
Feb 19, 2010 ♦Jennifer♦ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery/thriller/suspence readers
I won on first reads

Mania is a suspense/thriller that I feel definitely fit the bill. It had an ending that I didn't see coming, and that is a plus. Seriously, when the ending was reveled my mouth dropped. Your led to believe that someone else is behind everything, and then BAMB turns out that someone completely unexpected was pulling the strings all along.

Right off the bat ,in the first couple pages, you are brought into the murder of Nick's brother Sam. Nick and Sam are walking from a jazz clu
Jason Huffman-black

This was an interesting read although it was confusing in the way that it jumped from present to past and back again. It began with the murder of Sam Wilder and then jumped back a month earlier to begin the story. From there it jumped to after the murder, then to Sam and his brother's childhood, then to differing points within the month leading up to the murder. This alone would not have dropped the rating to 3 stars if the ending which explained the murder and his brother's related issues was m
Jenna
First and foremost, thank you, Craig, for sending this to me. I did enjoy reading it :)

So. Nick. Creepy guy. From the start, he creeped me out. I knew that if I had ever met him in real life (if he actually existed off of the pages this novel), I would probably get that "creepy guy" vibe off of him. Now I know why... but I can't tell you that without giving it away!

I found the dynamic between characters interesting. This is one of the few books I've read where I didn't like absolutely everyone a
Michelle
Mania by Craig Larsen is an exciting book, I'll definitely give it that. I'm not much of a mystery/thriller reader (I couldn't get through five pages of The DaVinci Code because the prose was so terrible) I've basically pigeon-holed myself into Raymond Chandler and Agatha Christie books when I want a mystery, but Mania kept me reading, at the very least, to find out what the hell was going on.

Basically, protagonist Nick Wilder is a semi-freelance photographer for the Seattle Telegraph, his paren
Gareth Cuddy
Rarely if ever have I read a book that is disturbing and enthralling in equal measures.
From the opening, disorientating chapters in which the reader is introduced breathlessly into the present, hurled to the past and dragged kicking back into the here and now, there is a masterfully crafted sense of paranoia and delusion, the purpose of which only becomes apparant towards the end.

The main protaganist is Nick Wilder, a down on his luck freelance photographer, whos job is to be first on the murder
Ubiquitousbastard
Complaints first, as per usual. The narrative was a little dry, terse, etc. If it had been more vivid, I might have given this five stars. Okay, that might be my only actual complaint, but it is a significant one. A few other things bothered me throughout, but most of them ended up having legitimate reasons to exist, or ended up being the opposite of what they seemed.

It isn't as if this plot is super intricate, or unexpected (I guessed several major plot twists way before they were revealed), bu
Nancy Carty Lepri
Nick Wilde, photographer for the “Seattle Telegraph”, lives in a tiny studio apartment, just making ends meet. One night when he is out with his brother Sam, the two are attacked after leaving a bar. Sam is brutally murdered and Nick manages to survive a beating. Everything from that night is a blur to Nick, and as time passes, he wonders if he is going crazy. A month before the attack, Nick met a beautiful woman named Sara Garland in a coffee shop and the two became lovers. Sara confessed to Ni ...more
Tom
This book was a really good first effort by the author. The beginning and the end of the story were disappointing but the middle kept me hooked and reading late into the night.

I found his use of the flashback to be somewhat distracting, but effective. Unfortunately, it takes a long time care much about the main character. He is difficult to like from the start since he seems to be such a shallow and self absorbed person. Once you get into those flashback, you begin to see him in a little differe
Grey Liliy
I went back and forth with this one--the writing is a solid 4 rating (descriptive, engaging, emotional), but the story was probably a solid 3 (good, but a little predictable).

The book was honestly a little depressing. This was one of those stories where our protagonist Nick was not allowed to be happy. Ever. Sara brought some light into his life as the love interest, but the moments were swiftly smothered by the case surrounding his brother and the serial killer. The more Nick finds out about hi
LuAnn
I’ve mentioned before how much I enjoy reading books where the characters are journalists. I love reading how authors portray the passion that comes with the business of reporting.
Why? Because it’s what I do. It’s how I make my living and it’s what defines me as a writer. It’s in my blood and I can’t ever imagine doing anything else with my life.
That said, I now turn to “Mania.” This book puts the reader right into the crime scene so he or she can view it from a reporter’s eyes.
Granted, Nick Wil
Ines
Suspect everyone!

When I first started reading this book, the switching back and forth from present to past threw me off a bit, as I found it wasn't too clear about what time the author was describing. That being said, the more I got into the book, the more everything started to make more sense and the more the flashbacks worked. There was even one point in the book where I thought the protagonist had dreamed it all and none of it really happened (I don't know if this would have been an awesome,
Mandy
Mania is a thriller with twists and turns that will keep you reading and guessing right to the very end. The title is very apt as mania = “a mood disorder; an affective disorder in which the victim tends to respond excessively and sometimes violently” and this is what you get but the real question is who is the victim? Craig Larsen has produced a fast-paced thriller which will see you turning the pages faster than you can say Mania.

The main character Nick Wilder is a newspaper photographer who f
Jay
Feb 25, 2010 Jay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mita
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to win this book because otherwise I would have steered well clear of it for the simple reason that I don't like 'thrillers'. I tend to avoid these books because the majority of them are simply a series of predicable, violent episodes strung together by a chase. While this book is referred to as a thriller, it is more a mystery with strong psychological elements.
I enjoyed this book so much that it practically read itself - I finished it in three days and was left feeling sati
Mary
Won this on GR...can't wait to read it!

ETA - This is unlike the usual books I read, in that the deepest I usually go into the thriller category is James Peterson's Women's Murder Club books and Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta series. And my affinity to those books is tied to the fact that I have gotten to know the characters over the course of the series and look forward to learning more about their lives. However, I entered to win this with the hope that I could pass it on to my husband, who is a
  • Mourn The Living
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • The Cruelest Cut
  • A Little Death in Dixie
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Sullivan's Justice (Carolyn Sullivan, #2)
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • The Ocean Inside
  • Flowers for Elvis
  • Silent Screams
  • Hostile Intent (Delvin, #1)
  • The Hunters
  • Primitive
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Triple Exposure
  • Dying Scream
  • The Malacca Conspiracy
  • Spinning Forward
3112087
CRAIG LARSEN is a graduate of U.C. Berkeley and Columbia Law School. A single father, he has lived in Northern California, New York, and in Europe. He is a member of the Mystery Writers of America and International Thriller Writers. He wrote his senior thesis on Milton.
He was born in 1968.
Craig also states that Stephen King has influenced him by his characterization. In addition, Craig states that
More about Craig Larsen...