Start by marking “Comet in Moominland” as Want to Read:
Comet in Moominland

Comet in Moominland (The Moomins #2)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  6,592 Ratings  ·  333 Reviews
When Moomintroll learns that a comet will be passing by, he and his friend Sniff travel to the Observatory on the Lonely Mountains to consult the Professors. Along the way, they have many adventures, but the greatest adventure of all awaits them when they learn that the comet is headed straight for their beloved Moominvalley.
Published April 27th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1946)

Richard Derus
Feb 29, 2012 Richard Derus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an inner child still stirring
Recommended to Richard by: the librarian at Pillow Elementary School in Austin, Texas
This review has been revised and can now be found at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.
Manny
May 12, 2013 Manny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knows some German
As I've said many times on this site, I dislike translations on principle - but I am trying to do something about my miserable German, and when I saw this book at Foyles last week it immediately seemed like a good idea. I know the Swedish original well, and I figured that it should be easy to read and would improve my sketchy vocabulary. That worked out even better than I had hoped, and I already feel measurably more confident.

What surprised me, though, was that for once I experienced the trans
Ivonne Rovira
Jul 04, 2016 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of Pippi Longstocking, Beezus and Ramona, and other children's books that speak to adults
How can it be that, unlike in the United Kingdom and the rest of Europe, the Moomin sagas never caught on in the United States? Finnish author Tove Jansson's tales of the white, hippo-like Moomintroll and his parents, Moominmamma and Moominpappa, would delight children and parents alike, the latter probably enjoying them even more, as adults can get the sly humor. I simply don't understand how Moominmania could possibly have bypassed the United States when it swept through Europe?

Comet in Moomin
Manny
A beautiful, ironic parody of the Armageddon-style killer meteorite movie, written before any of them existed. There are so many brilliant little details. I particularly loved the out-of-touch astronomers at the observatory, who have calculated exactly when the comet will strike ("possibly four seconds later," they add scrupulously), but seem completely uninterested by the fact that it will wipe out everyone in Moomin Valley.

In case you're worried, though, the Moomin family is more than a match
Emily
Jun 11, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just revisited this book for the first time in a long while by reading it aloud to my 6 year-old. Two main thoughts:

1. I love Tove Jansson. She always writes with a slightly off-beat charm (one of my favorite bits in this book is the title of the butterfly collecting Hemulin's book, Moths of the Eastern Hemisphere: their Behavior and Misbehavior) and her stories tend to swing uneasily between the surreal (Hattifatteners, anyone?) and the comforting (coffee and cake), a style which I found somew
Suvi
Jun 17, 2014 Suvi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like so many Finnish children of a certain generation, I grew up watching the Moomins tv-series (there are still reruns every once in a while, and the magic has never faded) and visited Moomin World. Now, to honor Tove Jansson's centenary, I started a project of reading all her Moomin books. Maybe the rest of her body of work as well, if I have the time or enthusiasm.

I read The Moomins and the Great Flood a while back, so I started from this one, which got things going on a larger scale. When th
Robert
Dec 18, 2009 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Moomins, a family of trolls, have appeared in my life in various ways; I vaguely remember having read (or having been read) one of the novels as a young child - as an older child I remember the animated series on television. I happened across it by accident and spent much time in enjoyable confusion about the names and natures of the seemingly infinite cast of characters. This year I decided I wanted to find out more than my hazy memories could tell me and in the process stumbled across the ...more
Dov
Nov 06, 2015 Dov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphics-comics, kids
Tove Jansson is a genius! Her humor is always understated and overdone -- a unique absurdist matter of fact emotionally evasive and, of course, refreshingly direct, marshmallowy slapstick.

"I can't leave my imperial snorks to the comet!"

I so love the ghost in this one, and the dance, the heroic tree-climbing incident, and the moving of things to "safer places." The disappearing ocean, the pisciculturist, his screaming shrimp, and the fantastic finale.

Jansson makes terrible fun of dramatic tens
Candace
Feb 27, 2016 Candace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Moomin books are always deceptively simple. I love how Jansson balances the matter-of-fact and the bizarre, and always constructs her stories with her characters front and centre, with all their flaws and quirks and earnest humanity. I always feel like I've learned some big things after reading these. I was especially interested in checking this one out as I hadn't read it before, and it's the first appearance of Snufkin, who is in a lot of ways my favourite character.
Arielle Walker
It's been a long time since I've visited the land of the Moomintrolls, and it truly has not dulled with age. Just as beautiful, interesting and odd as I remember!
ABC
May 12, 2011 ABC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: older-kids
Well, well, well. A while back, I was originally wary about starting this book because I thought the idea was weird for a children's book. (A comet about to destroy the world.) Comets destroying the world are on my top ten "Scary" list....

Anyway, after months of forgetting about this book and then remembering it, I don't know what made me start it after surving a huge earthquake in real life. (Not very smart of me.) I think that somehow (despite the title) I forgot it was about a comet hurtling
I SNIFF BOOKS - Beth
I’m on page 52 of the 173 page narrative and I can’t make myself continue. My initial impression was quite positive — the table of contents is fun, the Moomin gallery of characters is darling, the drawings throughout the book are quite nice, and the premise of the story did seem interesting. But it hasn’t turned out to be a positive reading experience for me….

Over the past week I’ve picked up the book, read a page or two, and set it back down. The story just seems really long and drawn out. Plus
Raquel
Jan 05, 2016 Raquel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Descobrir a literatura infanto-juvenil com olhar de pessoa adulta é algo que deveríamos experimentar frequentemente, quanto mais não seja para, de vez em quando, voltarmos a encontrar aquele pequeno ser dentro de nós que sonha acordado e ainda acredita em magia. ‘O Cometa na Terra dos Mumins’ teve esse efeito em mim - de uma prenda de Natal adorável, transformou-se numa verdadeira viagem por histórias e emoções inesquecíveis.

em
Melora
Nov 23, 2015 Melora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second reading of this one, and I still don't love it. Looking back at my comments from 2011 (from a different edition, and GR won't let me combine them), I see "cute but not compelling." This time, perhaps because I've read the whole series now, even the "cute" has worn off. I can see the "social commentary" that people mention, but it has no depth, and I don't like any of the characters except the philosophical muskrat, who is an Eeyore figure, and the Moomin parents, who are only bit players ...more
Deborah O'Carroll
Well, strike me pink, that was a rollicking delight of fun and charming oddness!

(Especially reading it aloud with British accents, because it did seem to call for it, despite the fact it's originally Swedish.)

I believe it's quite possible that I'm now thoroughly addicted to the world of the Moomins, and look forward to diving into the next few I have lined up!
Przemysław Garczyński (3telnik.pl)
Muminki są GE-NIAL-NE! A scena w sklepie to po prostu mistrzostwo świata <3 płakałem ze śmiechu z pięć minut :D
Katri
Aug 02, 2008 Katri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are big classics here in Finland, but it had been ages since I'd last read them, so I felt like picking them up again. I'd half forgotten what a charming, unique fantasy world Tove Jansson creates here, with her lovely characters and her use of language (though I read these in Finnish translation from the original Swedish). Somehow books like this comfort me and make me believe that life will be all right. At the same time the books subtly say a lot of things about life and people, w ...more
Bjorn
Aug 27, 2016 Bjorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finland
Everytime I re-read (or re-listen, in this case, listening to Jansson's own recording of the book) the Moomins as an adult I fall more in love with them.

For all that the Simpsons ripped this novel off for "Bart's Comet", I find myself thinking more of a better version of Miracle Mile. Yes, it's unmistakably a children's story, but it never pussies out; originally conceived shortly after WWII, the disaster is unmistakably REAL. The various reactions of the scientists who view it from afar, the s
Tuomas Saloranta
Aug 22, 2016 Tuomas Saloranta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sympaattinen pikku tarina maailmanlopusta. Hahmoille rakennetaan pienessä tilassa toimiva persoonallisuus (vaikka jotkut jäävät vielä taka-alalle), maailma erikoisine paikkoineen ja olentoineen on varsin kiehtova, ja huumori toimii aikuislukijallekin.
Io Nuca
Feb 19, 2016 Io Nuca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Toate ca toate, dar să ai un personaj pe care-l cheamă Smiorc?! Priceless! :)
thalakii
Aug 08, 2016 thalakii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: Ηλίας
Δεν καταλαβαινω γιατι η πρώτη περιπέτεια των Μούμιν δεν ειναι εξίσου διάσημη με, ας πουμε, το Χόμπιτ.
Jaana
Nov 17, 2015 Jaana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, lovely
Toipa ihanat muistot mieleen lapsuudesta sekä Muumeista!
Nora
The story in this book is all right. It's not amazing, but it's written for small children, so I guess I'm not the target audience.

What I really didn't like about this book is that there are two women in this book. Both are extremely silly. One, Muminmamman, is a housewife who thinks that when the world is about to end it's important to save the flowers. She is also the only person in the house who cooks, cleans, and decorates.

The other woman, Snorkfröken, is a self-obessed idiot who insists tha
Alexander Sjödin Lundholm
Oct 20, 2015 Alexander Sjödin Lundholm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with an inner little philosopher, adventurer, and/or child.
Shelves: favorites
Få romaner innehåller så träffande vishet som Tove Janssons serie om Mumintrollen. Och då menar jag inte inom spektrumet "barnböcker", utan i största allmänhet.

Jansson behöver inte säga så värst mycket i fråga om antalet ord. Istället säger hon saker på ett sådant sätt att praktiskt taget vem som helst kan uppskatta dem.

Först hade jag tänkt att lista några favoritexempel, men det är nog lika bra att du hittar dina egna istället. För om du är mellan 5 och 150 år så är chansen ganska stor att du
Stephen Curran
Feb 22, 2015 Stephen Curran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written long before climate change was a pressing concern, it's hard not to read Comet in Moominland as an allegory for something that had yet to happen (like Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers became a premonitory allegory for the Chernobyl disaster). As the comet approaches, the Earth heats up and the water evaporates, leaving Moomintroll and his companions to cross a barren seabed on stilts. Catastrophe looms over everything. Even as the woodland creatures throw a party, the great des ...more
Nate D
Jan 25, 2012 Nate D marked it as read-in-2012  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little animals
Recommended to Nate D by: Maya
Shelves: finland
After reading some of Tove Jansson's later excellent work for grown-ups, I had to swoop back and check her children's books. I actually remember seeing all of these at the liobrary as a child, but being uninterested for whatever reason. But now I wish I had looked closer then, as Jansson has a pretty fantastic touch here, light, brisk adventure stories, nonetheless imbued with real insights into how people behave and what the important things are. Not so different from her later stuff, just a bi ...more
Nelly
May 17, 2015 Nelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jättesöt! Ska bli kul att läsa fler Mumin-böcker!
Mathew
Why am I so late coming to the Moomins? I must have been crazy. First I loved the comic strips Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 1 and now, with Tove's second Moomin novel read, I have found that I adore her written work as much as her illustrations.
Comet in Moominland involves Moomintroll, Sniff and Snufkin (my fav.) going on an adventure to try and solve the mystery of the looming comet making its way towards earth. They encounter many weird and wonderful creatures on their
LobsterQuadrille
I was hoping that I would enjoy Comet in Moominland more than I did. This was the first time I've ever read a Moomin book, and it was decent story with nice illustrations and a few likable characters(Snufkin is probably my favorite), but I just didn't connect with it much. To me the prose seemed flat sometimes, and some of the characters got on my nerves(mostly the Muskrat and Sniff). I've heard that it's much better in the original Swedish, but since I don't understand a word of Swedish I unfo ...more
Felicity
This is actually the first Moomin book which introduces a lot of the characters.

Moomintroll and sniff decide to explore their new neighbourhood but keep coming across a symbol of a star. They find out that a comet might be landing in Moominland and decide they need to stop this from happening.

It took me a while to get in to this but once I did I found it charming and wish I had read it when I was younger. You actually get to see the characters like snufkin and snork maiden meeting for the first
Author -> Tove Jansson 1 61 Mar 24, 2007 03:24PM
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Pessi ja Illusia
  • Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Maa on syntinen laulu
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Ronia, the Robber's Daughter
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Sudenmorsian
  • Findus and the Fox
  • Plastusiowy Pamiętnik
  • Tove Jansson: sanat, kuvat, elämä
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...

The Moomins (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)

“You must go on a long journey before you can really find out how wonderful home is.” 80 likes
“But that's how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don't have to carry a suitcase.” 47 likes