Start by marking “Don't Tread on Me: A 400-Year History of America at War, from Indian Fighting to Terrorist Hunting” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
• Did America win its independence because British generals were too busy canoodling with their mistresses?

• Should America have annexed Mexico—all of it—and Cuba too?

• Did 1776 justify Southern secession in the nineteenth century?

• Should Patton have been promoted over Eisenhower?

• Did the U.S. military win—and Congress lose—the Vietnam War?

• Was it right to depose Sadda
Published September 5th 2006 by Crown Forum (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Tread on Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Tread on Me

JoséMaría BlancoWhite
I had my doubts as to whether this book would be a dull account of the most relevant facts of the big and small wars America has been through until today. Scarcely 400 pages to tell all the events related here made me expect a collection of unrelated stories, dictionary-like and cold, rather than a single story with one hero and one voice telling it. But I was happy to find out that the author knew his job, and he made this book a joy to read. The hero is the American soldier, the Armed Forces, ...more
Reese
Feb 21, 2010 Reese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic narrative on the personalities, local color and the prevailing sensibility on American expansionism then-to-now. A very clear-eyed exposition on the nuances of the run-up to the Civil War. A must-read for lit geeks who love their country.
Eric
Dec 16, 2012 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast and entertaining read on the "400 year history of America at War."
I found we have been involved in far more military actions than I realized and he does an amazing job of supplying enough details for the context of each operation and often supplies the pro and con views given at the time. Some of the significant new facts (to me):

In the Mexican war of the 1840s, I discovered many Mexicans, including not a few government officials were hoping for US annexation.Regarding the War between the
Sean
Aug 05, 2014 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedroom-shelf
The anti-woman, anti-liberal, anti-government writer of this passion play never met a war he didn't like... Unless it was one of those pussy Clinton missile strikes. This book both celebrates the American fighting man and condemns him to die with its glorification of war. When author opinion takes a backseat to historical narrative this book is at it's best, but whenever the author deems it necessary to color proceedings with here say and opinion it becomes a war hawk spin show.
Squire
Jan 13, 2010 Squire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like his other book Triumph somoe parts are really god, and others are less so. I liked Max Boots' Savage Wars better, but this wasn't bad. Crocker just always seems to get caught up in his opinions and enthusiasms which then color his history. Being an old school historian by training I still prefer at least the veneer of objectivity.
Brandon
Good read, especially if you like US Military History. It was a bit exhausting and I did skip through some sections that seemed repetitive, mostly things I remembered from history class. It also challenges traditional history of America's revolution against Great Britain.
Phillip
Feb 07, 2009 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very very readable book that takes you through all of America's wars and conflicts. Crocker is a dynamite historian/writer. They should use this book in American schools. (Okay, he's my editor on my new book, but I mean every word anyway).
Joe Robertson
Dec 01, 2011 Joe Robertson rated it liked it
This is a fast review of the military accomplishments (and failures) since north America was initially settled by Europeans. I found the book enjoyable but one must realize that it only skims the surface.
Kermit Payne
Feb 24, 2016 Kermit Payne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This brings to light the famous quote from George Santayana (in The Life of Reason, 1905): “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
Tom Batalias
Entertaining story of the US military through the last 300 years. Crocker presents his views and opinions of the events, but well documented.
Tim
Nov 14, 2010 Tim rated it liked it
An interesting look at many of America's wars. Piqued my interest a great deal and set me off on a "books about war" reading kick.
Danielle
I'm coming back to this one, I promise.
Nathan Weiss
Nathan Weiss rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Annie Claus
Annie Claus rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Dan
Dan added it
Jun 01, 2016
Mike Laney
Mike Laney rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Joel Anthony
Joel Anthony rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Chad Wyancko
Chad Wyancko marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
James Kubecki
James Kubecki marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Jack Stapleton
Jack Stapleton marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Edward Mundt
Edward Mundt rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
David Emery McKown
David Emery McKown marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Jacob Scrimpshire
Jacob Scrimpshire marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Ryan Atwood
Ryan Atwood marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Joshua Cox
Joshua Cox marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015