Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun

Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  422 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Explains how the legendary military commander's principles of leadership can be applied to contemporary business situations in the '90s.
Published October 15th 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1987)

Patrick Neylan
Let's not forget that, within months of Attila's death, his empire was overthrown by a rebellion of his vassals. If your goal as a leader is to create a structure that is only held together by the immensity of your own ego, then Attila might be a good role model for your business career. You could be the next Robert Maxwell.

This book was briefly in vogue in the 1990s. It was popular because it was different, not because it was done well. The idea of a 20th anniversary reissue is based on the fa...more
i mean, this little book of truisms was just bad. it was cheesy and not at all what i would consider original, as the author assured it would be in the preface. it was funny, if you don't mind taking in your humor a la Sesame Street. All the, "I, Atilla, the King of the Huns, implore you to" shite was just too much for me. No wonder Ross Perot liked it. If anything, this book proves that most people are destined to be lemmings, buying a book just because Ross Perot did. (like the Coach K book, a...more
Hannah Kirkhart
I basically picked this up because of the historical aspect, but I did enjoy what the author had to say about leadership, especially in such a unique way. It's a quick read length-wise, but may need more time to fully digest the many points the author provides. The "secrets" are presented as if Attila was speaking to his Huns around the campfire, which was a bit strange since these are not his words (as the author clearly states) so it felt like a blend of non-fiction and fiction. I liked the di...more
Ramon
I just finished this book. It isn't a complete flop and waste of time but it isn't the best book you will ever read.
I enjoyed its quick lessons. Each chapter is no more than a few pages long and goes into "depth" on one of the attributes of Attila, King if Huns mentioned earlier.
The introduction killed this book for me because it went into some details about the life of Attila, King of Huns that it later rehashes for a leadership lesson.
If you have not read many leadership books or are just g...more
Heather
Awful. Absolutely horrible. I don't care that Ross Perot loved it and gave it to all of his EDS employees. It took all of my power to read twenty pages before I finally gave up. I give up on a book maybe once a decade or so, so this is not something I do frequently.

I recommend reading the Lincoln on Leadership instead.
Monica Copeland
Cheesy but the history info is fun.

Sadly, I can't follow Attila's tips w/kids cuz his strategy for inefficient members is to cut them out of the group. So, I guess my students won't be my horde of Huns.
Michelle
Fast read, but no new info on leadership here.

1) Beyond a list of leadership qualities that you can adapt for any industry and argue they will lead to success, we are given bon mots like "you've got to want to lead" and "pick your enemies wisely".
2) Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. Be sure you conduct yourself accordingly, because you are always being watched.
3) Take responsibility, be decisive, delegate, negotiate, be resilient, and reward and recognize great performance. Lear...more
Haley Mathiot
Leadership secrets of Attila the Hun by Wess Roberts, PhD
Read by James Lurie
Genre: Non-Fiction: Self Help, Instruction
Rating: 3.5/5

Review: Wess Roberts gives a brief summary of the life of Attila the Hun, and then shows how you can use simple character traits to be a leader in modern society. The advice is down to earth and easy to apply to many aspects of your life.

The only thing I felt was lacking was a Christian perspective, but the book was not a Christian book so I wasn’t expecting it. Howe...more
Monika K
Vaguely remembering my history lessons back in high school, I recalled the name of Attila the Hun. In pop culture his name has always been attached to a negative connotation and the references to him have never painted a positive picture of his intentions. This is perhaps what drew me into reading Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun. I have never been a history buff but it is an interesting twist to take someone as ruthless and fiend worthy as the King of the Huns and use him as a model for lea...more
Angel
This book is a fairly easy read. The author follows an interesting approach. Each chapter gives a small historical episode about Attila, then for the advice segment, where you get the lessons, he would set up little scenes of Attila talking to his chieftains. It is unlikely the great warrior sat around dispensing advice, but it makes for good reading, and it makes for a good way to get the lessons. Now, as for the lessons, much of it is common sense, but I can see how the book, at its time, was...more
Peter Finnie
Great little read. The principles are the takeaways with value.
Jenny
Great for quick tidbits and quotes.
JP
It's an interesting concept, but for me it failed in execution. Though far from our image of a heroic leader, Attila, the "Scourge of God," still must have had excellent charisma and leadership skills. This book uses his history as a device for framing a series of leadership messages. It didn't resonate with me. The lessons are too varied to carry any deep impact and not heavy enough for any substantial historic connection. Some of the lessons encourage cut-throat tactics we now associate with a...more
Erik
Attila was tactically smart....strategically a disaster. His campaigns depleted much of the breeding stock of the Hun's horses. For a horse culture this was disastrous. Result, within a generation of his death the Huns had practically disappeared. The author was obviously unaware of this...or like many people in the business community he was more concerned with short term quarterly goals instead of long term success. In short, I wouldn't follow Attila's example if you want to build a long lastin...more
Mdp411
Jan 16, 2008 Mdp411 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Managers, supervisors, parents
Recommended to Mdp411 by: Can't remember
I read this book a long time ago and yet I still think of it from time to time and find myself recalling some of the many great leadership points that were made by the author. Incredibly funny yet very profound accounts (imaginary of course) from one of the world's greatest leaders, Attila the Hun. This will not disappoint.
Ed
This is one of the best leadership books I've ever read. It is done very metaphorically, but gets to the point of leadership very well. This is a great book that you can finish straight through in a couple of hours or a book you can set in the reading room and just read ten to fifteen minutes at a time.
Lm Huffman
As a history teacher, I take great issue with any nonfiction text purporting to share historical facts without any kind of citations or bibliography. Also, the gimmick of having Attila the Hunt share his best boardroom secrets simply doesn't work. It comes off as corny and illegitimate.
Leslie
This is, in many ways, obvious advice about how to win friends, influence people, and effectively lead a group. However, it provides a lot of interesting history about Attila the Hun and couches the advice so cleverly in Attila's history as to avoid being banal or condescending.
Andrew Peel
Think the negative reviewers missed the point of the book - it's that Attila the Hun was a byword for barbarism and actually nothing could be further from the truth. Therefore the old insult, 'you have the leadership style of Attila the Hun' inspired the title.
Zack
This was a short little read packed with good information written from the perspective of Attila the Hun, but it modern terms. The author had military experience, and it shows by his writing. I would recommend this book for anyone in a position of leadership.
Philip Uglow
Sep 09, 2013 Philip Uglow rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business leaders.
Recommended to Philip by: Neil Rutherford
Shelves: business
This was a fun read. First, I learned about Attila. I hadn't realized he would just be called an entrepreneur today. Second he had all of modern management theory figured out 100's of years ago. Most of the books nowadays are remakes of Attila's learnings.
William
This a quick read that serves as a good reminder of some proven management ideas. The background on Attila the Hun was very interesting but there was nothing in here that will be new or ground breaking for most people.
Johnny
Disappointing to say the least. Contains lots of cliches
with empty leadership quotes that really mean nothing but the obvious. This is what you get when you try to learn business skills from a warlord.
Shannon Garcia
I read this before I got into leadership (so should probably read it again), but it really was a highly entertaining read. Still on my bookshelf. (I'll read it again and re-rate if necessary).
Cheryl
This is the third time I've read this. It is full of all kinds of tips and gems. It means even more because I'm in Kyrgyzstan right now. Nomadic people look at things differently than Americans.
Chris
Quick listen this week. Will take time and scan the book next week.

Resembled The Art of War in terms of format. Generally a book about strategic/tactical leadership principles. B
Matt
I read this for a class. It was good. Not super interesting but made some good observations and correlations that could be applies to today's leadership environments.
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • The Aladdin Factor
  • 1001 Ways to Reward Employees
  • The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New Age
  • The Secret: What Great Leaders Know - And Do
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • حکایت دولت و فرزانگی
  • Don't Worry, Make Money: Spiritual & Practical Ways to Create Abundance andMore Fun in Your Life
  • The Circle of Innovation: You Can't Shrink Your Way to Greatness
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • You Were Born Rich: Now You Can Discover And Develop Those Riches
  • Leading Minds: An Anatomy Of Leadership
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • The People Code: It's All About Your Innate Motive
  • Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • Three Feet from Gold: Turn Your Obstacles Into Opportunities!
  • Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes
تقدير ممتاز لم يجعل أحداً ثرياً أبداً : دروس في الإنجاز الشخصي Make It So (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Victory Secrets of Attila the Hun The Best Advice Ever For Leaders It Takes More Than a Carrot and a Stick: Practical Ways for Getting Along with People You Can't Avoid at Work