Frozen Rodeo

Frozen Rodeo

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  659 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Summer is supposed to be fun.
Right? Peggy Fleming Farrell's summer has taken a turn for the worse: She works at the Gas'n Git to pay back her parents for wrecking two cars, takes summer school French from a succession of increasingly lame substitute teachers, loves an IHOP waiter, and attends Lamaze class with her mother while her father prepares for his professional ice-...more
Published February 1st 2003 by HarperTempest (first published January 21st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Frozen Rodeo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frozen Rodeo

Dianah
THIS BOOK'S TERRIBLE. & no, I didn't finish it. I think I stopped around page 3? Trust me; this book is that bad.
Wsmah
Nov 17, 2009 Wsmah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE: LOG: 11/17/09:
I just finished the book this morning. Fleming's French teacher never showed up to his summer school class, and everyone was wondering where he was at. There was a gas station bandit, that robbed and ran, turns out, that's what their french teacher was up to. Fleming saved everyone and she was the one to bring him down. At the end she gets a new sibling added to the family, and her parents finally see that's she's responsible. It's all happy happy, and both of the guys she...more
Keri
It's summer time in the little town of Lindville and Peggy Fleming Farrell is stuck selling coffee at a gas station so she can pay her parents back for a car she totaled. In her free time she babysits her three younger siblings and takes French classes at the local high school so she can graduate early and get the heck out of Lindville before she goes crazy.

But some things don't go as expected.

Her co-worker is a Bono wannabe, her French teacher has gone AWOL, her IHOP crush has taken a liking to...more
Xue Jing
Fleming is having the worst summer of her life. She has to work at the coffee shop in the gas station to pay back her parents from the money she owes them. She has to go there early in the morning and there was always a guy that has coffee breath that comes to the store early in the morning. She crashed the old store she used to work at so she got fired but she didn't care at all. Besides the job at the coffee shop, she still has to take French class during the summer with substitutes, take car...more
Beth
Fleming is stuck in the summer from hell. No driver's license, due to two car accidents. A Doberman who wants to take a chunk out of her. A crap job pouring java at the Gas N Git. An Olypmic hopeful father who wants her to trade her roller blades for ice skates like her namesake Peggy Fleming. A summer school French course whose instructor is MIA. Constant last minute babysitting for snot-nosed siblings. A pancake house waiter who seems to have forgotten she exists. Lamaze with her mother. Can F...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

In this reprint of Catherine Clark's FROZEN RODEO, Fleming is having the worst summer. She's stuck working at a coffee shop in a gas station to pay her parents back for crashing their station wagon. She's taking a French class where the professor is always absent. Her best friend is gone for the summer and the boy she likes is always making out with another girl.

That doesn't even begin to describe her troubles at home - always having to babysit an...more
Jerrica
So basically this book is about Peggy, a clumsy driver who crashes her way to earning money for her parents and taking French classes from a teacher who never shows up and always has substitutes who usually never know French.

I picked up this book because it seemed like that kind of story that might be interesting. Alternative characters, a decent plot. I didn't hate it, but the ending could have been a little bit better. It just kind of cut off. The whole middle-age crisis that her father was go...more
Susan
Sep 03, 2010 Susan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like quirky YA
Mittica
Sep 13, 2011 Mittica marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Morgan Howard
9/13/2011

This book is about a teenage girl named Peggy in a small town where nothing exciting ever happens. Peggy is stuck in Kindville and just like all of her other friends they want to get out! She is just aloud to drive and she drove into the store that she works at, and is spending the whole summer working, babysitting, and paying off her parents for the damage to the car. Peggy dreams of leaving Kindville with the love of her life Steven, when she finds something out about him...more
Sherry
Jul 14, 2009 Sherry rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teen Girls 15 & up
Cute story - about a teen girl in a small town navigating her way through her summer job, summer french class, an old crush, a new friend, a new guy, a crazy bus driver, armed robbery, and child birth classes???

Clean (except for someone streaking):). No cussing, no sex, no drugs. Thank you Catherine.

There is something to be said about the real subplot of this story - being able to adjust your expectations about people, about yourself. Deciding to change your mind, your course, not just going wi...more
Renita Frett
I have read other books from this author and her looks usually makes for a quick enjoyable read. I didn’t particularly enjoy this book though. It got me thinking about why I didn’t like the book as much as the others. I think it’s because the plot losses focus in the book. In the beginning it seems the main focus is her job at the gas station, her French class, and guy and then by the end it revolves her relationship around her family. So I learned from this book to keep the plot focused so that...more
Jenny
Peggy Fleming Farrell's summer is the pits. She has to work making coffee at the Gas N Git to pay her parents back for wrecking the car. Her skating father is trying to stage a comeback, her pregnant mother wants her to be the Lamaze coach, and the boy she likes is dating someone else. Then she meets Charlotte in French class, and life might not be so bad. Between hijacked golf carts, plans to streak in the Rodeo Days parade, and a robber on the loose, summer may yet have some excitement.
In addition to taking Lamaze classes with her expectant mother while her father tries to regain a foot in the professional skating world, Peggy Fleming Farrell must also suffer the horror of bad French teachers and a boring job, in an amusing tale about a young girl trying to make sense of her life.
Hpitcher
wow. so usually i kind of like catherine clark books but this one was extremly dissapointing. the only reason i finished it was to see if it could possiby get better but it didn't. did fleming end up with denny in the end or did charlotte? seriously the whole plot for the book kind of sucked!
Christel
I liked it but not nearly as much as Catherine Clark's other books (So Inn Love, Picture Perfect). Some parts weren't very interesting to me, but it was good enough to keep me reading (: Better Latte Than Never was also able to make me laugh out loud and smile, which I loved!
Andrew
I decided I needed to read a YA book for girls, especially with no vampires. I enjoyed this. There were things I found realistic and things I found kind of silly. The silliness might actually have made it more realistic- teenagers are kind of silly. Anyway, fun read.
Suetheartist
Written in short sections from the point of view of a young girl who is named after the ice skater -Peggy Fleming. The task of the writer is turning a troubled youth into someone responsible with very little parental guidance.
Mirela
A cute book, while I was confused a bit at some points. I enjoyed the parental conflict, it was realistic and I could really relate to being the third parent. The ending was very cute. I loved the book overall.
Onna
It didn't start out too good. Peggy came off as annoying from the start. I kept on reading and then I came to like her. The ending was way better than I expected it to be. It's a good light read.
Vicki
May 07, 2012 Vicki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: tween
Peggy Fleming Farrell suffers teen angst before her senior year and no car(2 accidents), can't keep a job, tries to get a boyfriend, her mom is pregnant fun!
Arielle
I remember this being one the only books I read as a tween that I actually enjoyed. Not sure if it would still hold up now though...
Molly
i love this book!!! read it at the beach so it is all crinkly cuz the pages got wet at the beach!!! it also has some sad in it!!!
Miranda
I honestly love Catherine Clark's writing. This book was so easy to get through and I love the western, country feel to it.:)
Hannah
this was good. i learned you dont always need a guy or boyfriend...well i already knew that but that was in there
Victoria
It was Boring for a few chapters, but after that it was laugh-out-loud funny! Read it if you like realistic fiction:)
Sharon
Feb 16, 2011 Sharon is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm basically still on the second chapter. I think it is quite interesting...
✿。.:*:.。✿*゚Khlooᗪ゚*✿。.:*:.。
i didnt like it. It wasnt the kind of the book that you cant put it down.
Tiffany Warner
Not the biggest fan of this book.. I'll give her other books a try though.
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Snow in Love
  • Crush du Jour (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Love, Hollywood Style
  • Snow Queen
  • In the Stars
  • The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Tropical Kiss
  • Puppy Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Dancing Queen
  • Island Girls (and Boys)
  • South Beach Sizzle
  • Perfect Shot
  • Do-Over (Royally Jacked, #3)
  • Mediterranean Holiday: Or, How I Moved To a Tiny Island and found the Love Of My Life
  • Hard to Get
I love reading books for children, young adults, new adults and all the old people after that.

I love writing for pretty much the same audiences.

More about Catherine Clark...
Picture Perfect Icing on the Lake So Inn Love Maine Squeeze Banana Splitsville (Courtney Von Dragen Smith, #1)

“nothing exciting ever happens, so you stop thinking it's going to. and then something does happen, and you miss it. completely. ” 6 likes
“this town has no soul. and nobody yields to your love. nobody yields, period.” 2 likes