Start by marking “Narrow Dog to Carcassonne Narrow Dog to Carcassonne” as Want to Read:
Narrow Dog to Carcassonne Narrow Dog to Carcassonne

Narrow Dog to Carcassonne Narrow Dog to Carcassonne

The hilarious and true story of two senior-citizens and their whippet dog who hatch, plan and carry out a "lunatic scheme" to sail from Stone in Staffordshire to Carcassonne in the South ofFrance. "From the Hardcover edition."
Published March 25th 2008 by Delta (first published January 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about Narrow Dog to Carcassonne Narrow Dog to Carcassonne

Joe White
May 12, 2010 Joe White rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-shelf, boats
While the thesis for this book was an English narrowboat (canal boat) taken down England, across the channel, into Belgium, and then to the south of France, the actual amount of material devoted to boating or canal details could have been summed up in less than 15 pages.
This was a rambling prattle, that appeared to have mostly a satirical negative overtone, regarding fleeting glimpses of people and restaurants along the route.
The owners (writers) were older, the trip was apparently expensive, a
Jul 20, 2010 Memo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gave this one star because I haven't got the option to give it none! He says "We could bore ourselves to death, drink ourselves to death, or have a bit of an adventure..." I feel Mr Darlington denied me the last two options by just boring me do death. I thought it might have improved if they had sunk at the end but the only way to improve this was if it sant at the beginning! A classic example of someone with too much time on their hands that think they have a talent for writing to supplement th ...more
Dec 12, 2010 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite developing a kind of mild dislike for the author who, I seem to think, used to be in advertising or PR or something similar, this was an interesting story. One of the critics in the reviews for other books hit the nail on the head, however, by stating that all travel books these days needed a conceit of some sort. Taking a houseboat down through the canals in France - I mean why should we be interested? It's your dream, mate, so entertain me if you can.
Well, I suppose he did in the end.
Annette Hall
Oct 01, 2015 Annette Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Narrow Dog to Carcassonne by Terry Darlington was recommended by a friend.

“Fools rush in where angels fear to tread”. Terry, his wife Monica and dog Jim have acquired a canal boat as a retirement hobby. They don’t know much about boats, except have to steer, and definitely nothing about the mechanics of boat engines. They have tootled along the gentle canals of the UK, and come up with the idea of crossing the channel and going down the French canals and the Rhone to Carcassonne in the South. An
I bought two copies of this, one for me and one for my aunt, whose daughter has a narrow-boat. As soon as I began reading it, I realised my aunt would give up - since the complete absence of quotation marks makes the reading of it confusing.

I persevered for 75 pages before putting it aside. There's some lovely writing in here, and entertaining stories but I really did struggle with the lack of quotation marks.

Maybe I'll dip into it again, sometime.
Dec 12, 2010 Shay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book! This is about an older couple and their dog from England who take a narrow boat across the English Channel. It was quite a dangerous outing, but they had a boat pilot with them and another boat to guide them across the channel. This book chronicles their adventures and misadventures. Told with a sardonic, English humor, this book is just a delightful read.
May 18, 2015 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I needed some light reading after just finishing a 600-plus pager. I've always loved travel books and picked up this one at a used book sale. The premise: a British retiree and his wife and whippet, Jim, travel via their 60-foot canal boat through England, crossing the treacherous English Channel and ending up in the south of France. Filled with humorous and often outlandish descriptions, the book somehow failed to really keep me entertained. It was a surface romp, and I wanted to hear more abou ...more
Louise Jones
Aug 04, 2014 Louise Jones rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-read, bio
umm I liked it sort of but could see why people may absolutely detest it , I am not a great traveller and not read many of these type of books it is a bit like looking at other peoples holiday snaps it is really only interesting to u and perhaps great Aunt mabel who has nothing better to do !! SAying that in parts i did enjoy the book as quite like learning about different places and you do get a feel of a place ever so slightly without the hassle of packing a suitcase I do enjoy lit as a whole ...more
Susan Ferguson
I enjoyed Narrow Dog to Indian River. I'd forgotten a lot of his style. It's not strictly narrative and rather fanciful, with a lot of allusions to poetry. Terry writes poetry, although he had to get a real job to make a living. His wife Monica has a degree in French, she speaks excellently and a smattering of several other languages. They have also acquired a whippet that they call Jim. They both love boating along the English canals, although they don't know much and Terry is singularly inept ...more
"It was absurd. It was foolhardy. And it was glorious. When they retired, Terry Darlington and his somewhat saner wife Monica -- together with their dog, a whippet named Jim -- chucked their earthbound life and set out in an utterly unseaworthy sixty-foot canal narrowboat across the notoriously treacherous English Channel and down to the South of France.

"Aboard the Phyllis May, you'll dive through six-foot waves in the Channel and be swept down the terrible Rhone. You'll meet the French nobody m
Oct 07, 2011 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Terry Darlington formerly wrote for Punch and other magazines. This book is a travelogue of the Darlington's journey to Carcassonne on their narrowboat. It is full of humour and peppered with Terry's brilliant wit. I enjoyed the story and the humour.
However, the book itself was let down badly by the fact that it had not been proof-read properly. It was full of typographical and grammatical errors which I found quite off putting. Far too often there was no spacing between sentences, words with ca
Nov 03, 2010 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So, I am only part way into this book, but I just have to share that I am listening to it on audio, and the reader is hysterical. I have no idea what is going on most of the time (partly because I am a very inattentive listener), but I am thoroughly entertained most of the time!

Update: So, now that I've finished...

This was a really great book, even if it did take me two CDs of the audio and a map to figure out what was going on. Sometimes, it is much wiser to read the jacket of the book first. A
Derek Nudd
It seems churlish to give this a two star rating. The writing is lovely, the quest insane (a novice navigator in a narrowboat across the Channel - really?) and the bizarre people and places they encounter along the way lovingly described. The fact is that I didn't finish the book because I couldn't get involved enough in their situation. Perhaps I took it too slowly. Certainly another reader would react differently - don't let me put you off.
Sharon Gardner
I really didn't like the style in which this was written. There were glimpses of an interesting story but they were lost amongst the throng of words. Everything seemed to be treated as if of equal importance whether it was a banal conversation with another boat owner, or near fatal encounters with large barges. I think if you like the style of writing you will love the book, but I'm afraid I didn't like it.
Jessica Rowan
Oct 17, 2016 Jessica Rowan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The style takes a little getting used to but once you're over that, it's a fantastic read and very funny. The punctuation and sentence structure is actually very clever, giving a stream of consciousness style to the whole piece. If you have ever spent much time in France, his comments will have you laughing in recognition. Highly recommended!
Mary Alice
Jul 20, 2014 Mary Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get used to this style of writing. It's very conversational, but only in the sense that you are trying to have a conversation with someone while sitting in a rowdy pub and you can only hear every other sentence. Still, somehow this disjointed writing style works and the story fills in nicely. I'm enjoying Darlington's dry sense of humor and literary references. I plan to pass it on to my parents, who had a similar narrow boat adventure in England, minus the whippet.
Mary W.
Mar 12, 2016 Mary W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, france, humor, travel
Although Darlington has a writing style that is difficult to get used to, I enjoyed his storytelling...and his descriptions of people, places and things are incredibly accurate and usually humorous. Especially enjoyable as we have done part of his canal trip-the Canal du Midi portion in the Languedoc region of southern France.
Brent Jacocks
I can't give this one a 4 or a 5 because it's definitely recreational reading, but I loved it! It's a great adventure, and the author not only kept me interested but made me laugh. His descriptions of France and his adventures on the canals are wonderful. I understand he has at least one other book, but I haven't found it yet.
Apr 14, 2010 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading Narrow Dog to Indian River, I knew I had to read this one. Terry Darlington & his wife are Brits who take their skinny dog and their narrowboat (translation: long, skinny boat designed to travel through scenic canals) through London, across the English Channel (which narrowboats are NOT designed to do) to France and down canals to Carcassonne.
Terry's writing style could be described as humorous stream of consciousness that actually ends up making sense. He is truly gifted at t
Nov 04, 2008 Al rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't have to have boated on a European canal or river to enjoy this book, but it helps. Terry and his wife piloted an ungainly English narrow boat from England across the channel, and then through Belgium and France. This is the tale of their adventure. Terry is an entertaining writer, with many sharp insights. There are times when his approach is a little overbearing, and one suspects he is exaggerating some of the adventures to make the story more interesting, but all in all it's a fun r ...more
I imagine some people would not take to Terry Darlington's style and it did get a bit exhausting at times but I enjoyed this book and laughed a lot. I always thought the "Narrow Dog" was the name of the Darlington's canal boat but it turns out it refers to Jim the whippet.
Jul 05, 2015 Gabrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started a bit slow, but it got better and better. Then when it gets a bit corny, you don't care because you're attached to the story and near the end.
So, when most of us retire, "we could bore ourselves to death, drink ourselves to death, or have a bit of an adventure." The Darlington's chose adventure - taking a narrowboat (a English canalboat) across the Channel and down French waterways with their "narrow dog," Jim the Whippet. With a sense of humor dry as the Sahara, Mr. Darlington guides this adventure with gusto. Sometimes, I got frustrated by his style. Eventually I realized that for me it was more enjoyable in small doses. I would hav ...more
Mar 21, 2016 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kew-nf
Book about some lovely nutcases who decide to sail a canal boat through England, across the English Channel (?!?!?!?) and down through France to the medieval city of Carcassonne. A delight to read.
Apr 30, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining story of this adventurous couple and their whippet on their narrow boat. Love the British humor.
May 13, 2011 Bowerbird rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the wry humour and also the local interest. This is more a book of reminiscenses than a straightforward travel diary, and because of this I found I preferred to read it slowly and dip into it. I have spent a short holiday on a narrow boat and it introduces you to a parallel world where things move at walking pace. Maybe this is how the book should be read. Nevertheless it is delightful. Belgium, Holland and France drifted by - often closed! - but plenty of time to sample the local wines a ...more
Dec 26, 2009 Alison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading this since early December and am not getting on with it all that well but will stick with it as I don't like abandoning things part way through. It is not brilliantly written but is good to nod off to at night - two retired nutters on a canal boat put out from Stone in Staffordshire (where BT had a training centre)and boat down through the midlands to London and then out to sea, crossing the Channel and boating down the canals through France and part of Belgium. They have a w ...more
Laura Bang
A lovely, meandering read through the canals of England and France. This book is definitely not for everyone, though. The writing is very stream-of-conscious-y and often lacks specific details, and the dialogue is not differentiated from the rest of the text (no quotation marks or line breaks between speakers). So it took me about 20 or 30 pages to get into the rhythm of the book and get over my usual textual expectations, but once I did I liked it. The descriptions are quite pretty. (And I love ...more
Wendy Denham
Sep 13, 2014 Wendy Denham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny book and a good read for beside the pool on holiday (wish I had kept it for then) I have had a good chuckle at the antics of the author.
Don Weidinger
May 10, 2014 Don Weidinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fit whippet fastest for its weight, 14meter variance and 8knot tide, boat 7times longer and cost, Oxford Canal, the destination of all French towns a restaurant, giving up to Nazis was wrong-giving in to evil, evil requires absence of virtue-not making a stand.
  • Swimming with Piranhas at Feeding Time: My Life Doing Dumb Stuff with Animals
  • Continental Drifter
  • To See Every Bird on Earth: A Father, a Son, and a Lifelong Obsession
  • Something to Declare: Essays on France
  • The World of Venice: Revised Edition
  • Passion on the Vine: A Memoir of Food, Wine, and Family in the Heart of Italy
  • The Sinner's Grand Tour: A Journey Through the Historical Underbelly of Europe
  • Hell or High Water: Surviving Tibet's Tsangpo River
  • Central Park: An Anthology
  • No Man's Lands: One Man's Odyssey Through The Odyssey
  • The Anglo Files: A Field Guide to the British
  • Pass the Butterworms: Remote Journeys Oddly Rendered
  • Books and Islands in Ojibwe Country
  • Passage to Juneau: A Sea and Its Meanings
  • Walking Home (The Barefoot Sisters, #2)
  • The Lost Cyclist
  • Birthright: The True Story of the Kidnapping of Jemmy Annesley
  • Dog Days: Dispatches from Bedlam Farm
Terry and Monica Darlington sail the waterways on their narrowboat. Terry writes books, Monica acts as his manager, and Jim and Jess act as their dogs.
More about Terry Darlington...