Start by marking “Camilla, a Biography of Camilla Eyring Kimball” as Want to Read:
Camilla, a Biography of Camilla Eyring Kimball

Camilla, a Biography of Camilla Eyring Kimball

Camilla Eyring was born in 1894 in the Mormon colonies of northern Mexico. At seventeen she fled with her family from the dangers of revolution and was sent alone to Utah to finish high school and earn her own way into the world. Camilla tells her story, often in her own words, recounting her heritage, her high-spirited youth, and her struggles and triumphs as wife, mother ...more
Published January 1st 1982 by Deseret Book Co (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Camilla, a Biography of Camilla Eyring Kimball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camilla, a Biography of Camilla Eyring Kimball

Beth
Nov 10, 2007 Beth rated it really liked it
Much of this book was written in the first person by Sister Kimball herself. At first, I was surprised to read of all the memories recorded that seemed “less than perfect” — about how Camilla hated feeling out-of-style when she moved from Mexico to Utah or how she once climbed out of a bathroom window to avoid a date. She was the oldest of a large polygamous family, so when she got married, she didn’t invite her sibilngs because she was afraid they would tease her. She seemed … human.

It’s those
Autumn Sage
Aug 14, 2012 Autumn Sage rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and found it interesting. I loved that it was taken mostly from her journals and so it was the real, every day life. It shows such an interesting side of the church in earlier days, starting out in the Colonia Juarez with polygamist parents and through a life that led her to be the wife of a prophet. It was filled with worry and heartache and struggles and you get to see a side that isn't usually seen in a prominent figure. I didn't feel, however that I got very much of the s ...more
'becca
Feb 04, 2009 'becca rated it really liked it
It was a lovely book. I think we often make those in leadership and their wives into "larger than life" people. I appreciated seeing that Camilla was just "people". Well, nobody's "just" anything. Everyone's important. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and our own stages of progression. Her strengths blew me away. I appreciate her example, and that she was real.
Michelle
May 02, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Impossible to find, but wonderful to read if you can get your hands on it. It's the biography of Camilla Kimball, wife of President Spencer W. Kimball. My daughter was named after her.
Monica
Feb 21, 2009 Monica rated it it was amazing
a true genuine woman whose faith and determination will motivate anyone to move forward.
Jeannie
I remember that the writing really wasn't really 5 star writing, but I am giving this one 5 stars because it inspired me and taught me so much about being a wife and mother. I read this shortly after I was married, and Sister Kimball's example taught me more about running an LDS home than any of the how-to books at the time. Not that I've mastered very much of it yet...

I had met Sister Kimball while at BYU, so this was a much anticipated book for me. During my years at BYU the General Authoriti
Michelle
Jul 11, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: motherhood, biography
The writing was far from being anything special, but the content was excellent. She had such an interesting life - polygamist parents, born in Mexico, a refugee in America at 17, a teacher, mother to four, wife to the President of the Church, world traveler, etc. I am inspired by her tirelessness. Despite a crazy life in the public eye and a husband who had very delicate health (hers wasn't the best either), she took the time to have luncheons, can fruits and vegetables, bake bread, send gifts, ...more
Kathrine Holyoak
Jan 19, 2011 Kathrine Holyoak rated it liked it
While I give her sparkle and example a 6 star review, the author (her son) rates only a 1 or 2 with me, so that explains my average of 3 star rating. I wish she'd written an autobiography instead of coaching her son through a biography. The clips of her own writing (I assume from her journal and other letters) is how I fell in love with her. It is where how "real" she is came shining through. She could express emotions and thoughts her son would have felt disrespectful summarizing, thus his writ ...more
Christy
Dec 06, 2013 Christy rated it liked it
Question: What does it take to become the wife of a prophet? Answer: Absolutely nothing, girls! Camilla Kimball was the most ordinary woman you could imagine. But she DID have the sense to marry a really righteous man. Otherwise, you couldn’t pick her out of a crowd. She worried about her clothes, and being liked. Once, when she and Spencer were at a Rotary convention, she sipped some liquor because she wondered what it tasted like.

Camilla’s childhood in Mexico interested me because it parallel
Haley
Jan 28, 2013 Haley rated it liked it
While this wasn't the most well written book I've ever read, I still enjoyed reading it and came to appreciated the rawness of it. It almost felt more like reading individual diary entries, which to me gave it a personal feel. It did jump around a bit with the timeline which was confusing at times. I felt it was worth reading because I definitely came away inspired and wanting to be a better person. It gave me insights on parenting, hard work, and faithful service which I hope I can implement in ...more
Rachel
Feb 07, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed getting to read Camilla's perspective of many of the same things I'd just read in her husband, President Kimball's biography. She truly seemed to enjoy the private life, the life with her family, but rose to the occasional that her husband's calling brought them in a lot more scrutiny and adulation. Also, her biography covered up to a later period than President Kimball's did, so there were other things I'd been curious about in hers that weren't there in his, because he hadn't lived t ...more
Emily
Jul 09, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
This book makes me want to read more about the wives of the prophets. Sister Kimball lived an amazing life. You really get to see what her fears and challenges were and how real of a person she was. For example, she overlooked that Spencer was wearing white socks when she first met him. And she loved clothes, but never really had them and that was hard for her, especially in high school and college. Much of the book is from her own voice. It was wonderful!
Traci
Apr 17, 2011 Traci rated it really liked it
Camilla Kimball, the wife of previous LDS prophet Spencer W. Kimball, is a most amazing woman. My favorite thing about her is her human-ness. I can appreciate her candid discussion of her adolescent insecurities, and I love her for her faith even in great adversity. She was in every way a match for her husband, a most powerful and inspiring leader. This is a fantastic biography/autobiography of a most inspiring LDS woman.
Eric
Apr 04, 2013 Eric rated it really liked it
Inspiring. I was surprised to read that Camilla was a refugee from Mexico as a young girl. Her family lost everything. She often battled with illness, her own and her husband's. She loved her family. She pinched pennies. She bottled watermelon rinds (pickled) because she couldn't stand to waste them. There was one person she didn't like (page 189). She saved leftover meat in a bag from an airplane flight, then wrote about it in her journal. She was human. She loved life (page 211).
Lowell
May 29, 2011 Lowell rated it really liked it
I read this because of a friend's review on Goodreads (thank you, Heather!). A solid, brief book about a good woman. Great!

Personal note: I never like the final 20 pages of biographies for people who are still alive. Their story is still being told, and the most recent history can't be put in proper context. They seem to skim a few key points to briefly fill in details and try to end with a "springboard" rather than a "conclusion." Apart from that, I love it.
Christina
Aug 23, 2007 Christina rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about this amazingly wonderful woman. It is a neat insight into her work and support. This makes a good read for motivation to do better.

This book illustrated her life and shared some insight into the person she was--canning, cooking, planning, associating with people--all the work she did to be a good mother, wife, neighbor, friend, citizen, and to suppport her husband in his many church callings.
Cassidy
Dec 14, 2010 Cassidy rated it liked it
I liked this book, but am giving it three stars because I wanted more. I wanted more description, more depth, more complexity. I understand the limitations that may have existed -- it was written when she was alive and shortly after her husband became the prophet. But I think there still could have been more. That said, it is refreshing and frank. She was interesting and flawed and inspirational. Definitely a good read.
Suzan
Apr 25, 2012 Suzan rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
Camilla Kimball was an amazing woman who had a very interesting life. She was truly a great woman but I appreciated seeing her human side in this book. She was bright, intelligent, curious, a hard worker, and someone who was deeply dedicated and loved the Lord, her husband, her family, and her church. She was an inspiring role model!
Heather
Dec 01, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
A good biograpy about a GREAT woman. I loved the journal excerpts throughout the book. Makes me wish I kept a better journal. There were many inspiring and uplifting passages in it. However, I think it was a bit disjointed and lacked "something" in the writing. Still I am very glad I read it. It gave me a lot to think about as a wife, mother & disciple of Christ.
Missy
Jun 21, 2011 Missy rated it it was amazing
It has been years since I read this book but I loved it. Pres Kimball was the prophet when I was a child. The wives of the prophets always seem so perfect and now that I am a wife and mother it was so great to read this book and realize that Sister Kimball is an amazing woman but also so down to earth. It is out of print but if anyone can find a copy it is well worth your time.
Swhite
Apr 12, 2013 Swhite rated it really liked it
Read this when I was like 10 or 11 and it got me started on biographies. Being inspired by real people with real experiences made me realize how much more there is to a person than just their "cover.". It also helped me see how upbringing and the power to chose obedience can prepare you for some sweet life experiences not otherwise afforded.
Haley
Mar 08, 2011 Haley rated it really liked it
Initially, I was hesitant about this biography, because the writing seemed juvenile and choppy; but, in the end, I found myself pleasantly surprised. Camilla was an inspiring woman with spirit and spunk. Her story of faith, hard work, and dedication to family and church is worth knowing and sharing with others. I strongly recommend this book.
Rachel
Aug 25, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
My grandma loaned me this so I gave it a try. I'm so glad I did. This was the most candid look at the wife of a prophet I have read. She admits faults throughout (often even in a humorous way), she seemed so human and real. My only complaint was that it was not longer. There were still so many things I wanted to know more about.

Surprisingly interesting biography.
Preethi
A sweet little biography on Spencer W. Kimball's wife. Had some nice insights, and we really enjoyed her letters/journal entries. Not very extensive, and pretty short. Glosses over a good bit, but had some great personal touches. Overall, a fun little read.

Read with Dan
Celeste
Jan 26, 2013 Celeste rated it it was ok
Not my favorite biography. Camilla's life was interesting and she was a really good person, but this book is so poorly written that it felt like a bunch of little summaries of events from her life thrown together.
Cherre
Jan 27, 2009 Cherre added it
This book was a quick read. It was uplifting to see her example of hard work, thrift, faith and zest for life. An 80-year old woman riding a horse... now that's someone who's not afraid to live and enjoy each moment.
Lisa
Sep 17, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book and I have so much love and respect for Sister Kimball. The authors do not hesitate to show that she had her moments of less-than-perfectness, which makes the book better and allows the reader to identify with her more. I only wish that it were longer and more inclusive.
Marla Milligan
Feb 19, 2010 Marla Milligan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This biography is on the wife of President Kimball of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Wonderful
Lauren
Apr 16, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it
I loved this biography of the prophet's wife. She was real, yet inspiring!
Emily
Jul 05, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
I read this book in college...i need to read it again, but i was so inspired by this sweet lady's love of life and developing talents and all things good!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • On Wings of Faith
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: John Taylor
  • My Dear Sisters: Inspiration for Women from Gordon B. Hinckley
  • The House of the Lord: A Study of Holy Sanctuaries Ancient and Modern
  • Life of Joseph Smith: The Prophet
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • Daughters of God