Start by marking “Sand Daughter” as Want to Read:
Sand Daughter

Sand Daughter

[An epic filled with emotion and rich with atmosphere[ ( Historical Novel Society) from the author of The Other Eden.
Khalidah faces an arranged marriage at the behest of her father, a Bedouin Clan chief. But when a mysterious stranger named Sulayman reveals the machinations behind her pending union, she suddenly finds herself a pawn in a deadly plot involving her own feu
Published October 6th 2009 by Berkley Books (first published September 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sand Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sand Daughter

Bryn Hammond
Nov 05, 2013 Bryn Hammond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: imagined-fiction
I undertook this because it’s set on the Muslim side of the Crusades. Mostly in Crusades fiction we get only a cursory glimpse of the societies I’m more interested in and that’s frustrating. Here it’s the Franj who are only seen from the inside now and then. So, I loved the setting straight away, as we are plunged into Bedu tents, where the adventure starts. I’d call this an adventure, more than a war story. With Bilal we spend our time in Salah ad-Din’s camp, but with Khalidah we travel through ...more
Eleanor
Sep 09, 2014 Eleanor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tara Chevrestt
This novel takes place during the Crusades. At first, there are so many different groups and tribes involved in the story, that one not familiar with the history of the Islamic world or Crusades or Templar Knights will have to do some googling. Once the reader figures out who is who, it is a decent enough story about a young woman named Khalidah. Khalidah was born into a nomad (traveling) Arab tribe and is a devout muslim. While the Franjs are waging war against the Sultan and those of his relig ...more
Marlowe
Jul 17, 2015 Marlowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part historical fiction and part fantasy, Sand Daughter is the story of Khalidah, born of a Djinn mother and a Bedu father.

I had just picked it up without knowing what it was about, and the first portion read like a standard historical fiction, so I was taken rather by surprise when the story veered off into fantasy territory. That’s not to say that it was unpleasant. Bryant managed to combine the two in a way that worked, inserting magic into real history while still keeping a good hold on the
Janet
Dec 13, 2009 Janet rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book, but after a few chapters I couldn't shake the feeling that the primary characters were simply cardboard cut-outs running through a familiar script in an exotic locale: headstrong daughter of mysterious mother flees unwelcome marriage with the assistance of mysterious stranger and finds out she has a secret destiny.

There's nothing *wrong* with that plot, per se, but if you're going to do it, you need to have strikingly original characters and/or vivid dialogue and acti
Carolyn Lessard
I expected something a little more romantic and action packed, but it was a bit flat.

The "Sand Daughter" tells two stories, one of a tribal princess who flees an arranged marriage with her cousin to solidify peace between tribes ruled by brothers.

She escapes with a mysterious musician and embarks on a long journey to a secret land. The journey lasts an eternity. Dialogue is wordy, always involving a long story to explain the simplest questions.

I was not able to finish it.
Judith
Jan 27, 2010 Judith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book which is well-researched and is one of those books that clearly defines the tag "historical fiction." The fictional characters hold their own against the historical personages and the story is a wonderful balance between the various characters. With Khalidah's story running parallel to that of Saladin's conquering of the Franks for possession of the Holy Land, the story never gets tiresome or ponderous. I have posted a full-length review on www.thebookbinge.com.
Heather
Feb 03, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in the summer of 2012, and it was a very long book, but it was so amazing. I have never read a book like this one, and i learned so much about the crusades. the chapters switch perspective between Khalidah and Bilal and that made the book 10x better. I recommend that everyone read this book...teaches you alot.
Kristi
Dec 30, 2009 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for Christmas and it is something I wouldnt normally read. I did really enjoy it though. I liked that the story was about two different people and the way it jumped from person to person was not confusing. The story itself was very interesting. I think if you liked the Kite Runner you will like this one too.
Tracey
Aug 08, 2011 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read. The book was slow ti begin , but by the time I was on Part 2 i could'nt put it down . I really liked the character Bilal , surprising in many ways. Was surprised abd overjoyed to see Balian , Sibylla , Guy mentioned and elaborated on. The ending was finished so smoothly , which I liked immensely.
Jessica
I just picked this up at random in a book store in Bath and LOVE IT! I couldn't put it down. Well written, great plot, interesting characters, beautiful images...I have no complaints. Not a single one. I wished somethings had turned out differently but I don't think those things could have been helped so such is life. I hope to teach this book someday. WONDERFUL!
Mya
Mar 29, 2015 Mya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. It's been a while since I read a book like this. I really enjoyed it, although the characters seem a lot flatter than those I have enjoyed more recently, but I think that that is the nature of the gendre. I especially liked the reference to the various horse breeds from the East, e.g. Arabians and Akhal Teke. This is an action packed adventure with a feisty young heroine.
Amy
This was an awesome book, the characters were vibrant and real and the twists and turns keep you guessing until the end. Though it can be slow at times, it is ultimately a fantastic read that captures the landscape of the middle east and the turbulent period of the crusades, where both sides felt driven by God to claim the holy land.
Nalini Deonarine
Anyone who knows me, knows my love for female empowering characters. Khalida, Sandara, Zaynab, Brekhna were the epitome of my liking.

I was skeptical to read this as it was based on a religion and era I knew little of. But it didn't disappoint.
Ghazala Khan
Aug 12, 2011 Ghazala Khan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got into this book straight away. Its about the Islamic Crusade in the Middle East in the 12th century. Each character has its own journey and agenda. The struggle, journey, war and emotions are well described in this book.
Laura Moriarty
Jan 26, 2010 Laura Moriarty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful writing style, it's like poetry and song, making it flow like water and pleasant to read. The love stories are both melancholy, keeping me reading. The battle scenes are also beautifully done, rich in meaning.
Tiffany
"Sand Daughter" is cleanly written and does a lovely job of evoking the opulent east. Unfortunately about 2/3 of the way through I lost steam, probably because I was less interested in the Saladin angle than in the "searching for her mother" angle. Will try to finish this book again later.
Jordan (jordan_nb)
The plot was fairly good, not too many twists and turns but overall a good read. Takes a while to figure out all the different tribes and since it follows two Muslim characters set during the Crusades the events are fairly difficult to comprehend unless you have previous knowledge.
Cristina
I love historical fiction, and this was a new one for me (I normally keep to English locals), so the historical aspect was a bit hard for me to grasp. But the story was very enjoyable and novel itself was very well written.
Mel
May 02, 2012 Mel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story revolves more around Bilal and his love affair with a prince (son of Sala-al-Din) than it does around Khalidah's romance with Sulayman. Definitely a well researched historical fiction about Sala-al-Din's victorious campaign against the Christians in Jordan.
Kathy
Khalidah is the beloved daughter of a nomad chief, meaning she must go into an arranged marriage. Yet instead she escapes and takes a chance to find her mother, guided by a musician w/ hidden depths. Treachery, love, and the history of how Salah al-Din took Jerusalem back from the Crusaders.
Jenny Q
Apr 14, 2010 Jenny Q marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Got this on the bargain rack at Borders. Drawn in by the change of scenery and the crusade-based storyline.
Marguerite
not usually my type of read but I saw it on a friend's list and it interested me. It is actually very good (although I do skim over alot the political stuff)
DeAnna
Feb 08, 2010 DeAnna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The characters are vibrant and unique, and the writing is so lovely and descriptive. I truly felt immersed in the world of the Crusades.

Jamie
Jan 11, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written! It was a very interesting read. I love historical fiction and this was definitely a winner!
Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman
set during 1100's during the Templars defense of Jerusalem and salah a-din's attempt to take control back. Told more from the Muslim point of view.
Sorcha
Enjoyable story of a woman in a 12 century Islamic world, rejecting the marriage arranged for her, and escaping her family, ending up leading a group of fighters under Saladin, fighting the Crusaders
Anne
Dec 27, 2009 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Big adventure but such poor characterization that I quit reading it because I just didn't care what happened next.
Karen B
A re-telling of the Battle of Hattin (1187 A.D.), this book is part love story, part history from the Muslim and Christian prespectives. Protagonish Khalidah is a great fictional character.
Cleoxcat
Adventure in the time of the Crusaders. Khalidah runs away to avoid an unwanted marriage and finds love. Interesting story which includes a lot of the culture of the time.
Stay strong!! 2 5 Mar 19, 2016 12:19AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 15, 2015 06:49PM
  • The King's Nun: A Novel of King Charlemagne
  • The Twelve Children of Paris (Tannhauser, #2)
  • The Falcons Of Montabard
  • The Blank Slate Boarding House for Creatives: A Tale of Magic, Manners, and Scandal
  • The Spirit Room
  • Ironfire
  • Arabian Nights: The Marvels and Wonders of The Thousand and One Nights
  • Game of Queens: A Novel of Vashti and Esther
  • Search Sweet Country
  • Color of the Sea
  • Beloved Pilgrim
  • Fragments (African Writers Series)
  • Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
  • Wisp of a Thing
  • Poison
  • The Fourth Queen
  • Red Adam's Lady
  • Praying Mantis
Sarah Bryant (born 1973 in Brunswick, Maine, USA, is a contemporary British based writer.

She attended Brown University in Rhode Island before moving to Scotland in 1996 to study creative writing at the University of St. Andrews. She settled in the UK after meeting her husband and now lives in the Scottish Borders region where along with writing she doubles as a teacher of Celtic harp, and occasion
More about Sarah Bryant...