Start by marking “Ms. Taken Identity” as Want to Read:
Ms. Taken Identity

Ms. Taken Identity

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  26 reviews
PhD candidate Mitch Samuel's life isn't going exactly according to plan: his girlfriend just dumped him (to be fair, he did forget to pick her up at the airport), his estranged father has landed in the hospital, and his literary masterpiece-one part Shakespeare, one part Steinbeck, and all parts lyrical epic-has been rejected for the umpteenth time.

However, after a chance
Published June 22nd 2009 by 5 Spot

To ask other readers questions about Ms. Taken Identity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ms. Taken Identity

Cheryl
Mitch Samuel has just had the worse day of his life. He was dumped by his girlfriend. Mitch was at home when his girlfriend, Hannah comes walking through the door. You might wonder well I don’t see a problem with his girlfriend coming in? It is a huge problem; when she has just returned from visiting her sister and you were suppose to pick her up at the airport. Next Mitch receives rejection upon rejection on his literary piece for his PhD.

Mitch is ready for something good to start happening to
Debbie
I would like to say this is really a 3.5 stars rating.
I really enjoyed reading this book but I have mixed feelings about it. It was pretty hilarious when Mitch, the arrogant, snob is trying to do research to write a chick lit book by watching Oprah and reading woman’s magazines. I have to give him that he must have been very secure in his masculinity to do all that, go into woman’s clothing stores, etc. The reason I have mixed feelings is I did not like Mitch for most of the story even at the en
Crystal
I used to read chicklit a lot, but it's been on the decrease lately so I just haven't read it as much. I am so glad that I picked this book from the Harper Collins imprint selections for this month. I knew it had an intriguing premise, I just didn't know it would be chicklit and so much more.

This is Mr. Begley's first novel and if how I feel about it is any indication it surely won't be his last.

The book starts with stuffy, stuck-up Mitch. He's a "serious" writer, he loves only authors who "make
Elizabeth
Whether we admit it or not, we all love a little "chick lit" from time to time. To me, it's the same as watching a romantic comedy, also known as a "chick flick". Is this an insult to women? I don't think so. Most of the "chick" media I've read and watched has been witty and engaging, with a somewhat predictable ending, of course, but usually one or two unpredictable twists in the middle. Somebody out there must be reading these books besides me, because they are huge sellers, which esoteric str ...more
Liviania
I sometimes feel embarrassed when I go to write a review and the first thing in my mind is, "Don't forget to mention that odd quibble you had with fact X!" I sometimes have a compulsive need to correct people, which my friends fortunately find adorable. (There have been people who have had problems with it. I try to keep it in, honest.) But I'm going to call Dan Begley on this since he is part of the Department of English at the University of Missouri. Protagonist Mitch is a Phd candidate in med ...more
Christina Rau
"Don't judge a book by its cover" is the stupidest advice to give to readers. Of course, the only way to judge a book is by its cover. Every writer knows that a bad cover means no one will read it. So let's take a moment to discuss how Dan Begley's book, Ms. Taken Identity (never fear; we'll get to the title in a moment, too), found its way into my home. I would not buy a book with a cover like this. I think it's too silly and a little repulsive. I'm wondering if those legs are a model's or if t ...more
Angie
Chick-lit from a male point of view - and it lends an interesting perspective. I enjoyed this book, which actually had more "substance" than I was expecting. The main character, struggling author Mitch Samuel, creates an alternate persona from his usual cynical and combative self and sets out to learn more about what women really talk about and how they act so that he can write his own chick-lit novel, because how hard could it really be to write fluff, right?. Obviously things so awry when the ...more
Jaime
What’s this? Chick-lit written by a man? Not only did a man (Dan Begley) write this, but he did it very well. I really enjoyed the cast of secondary characters, from Mitch’s friend Bradley to his fellow dance students. True to chick-lit form, Mitch is a bit of a bonehead from time to time, but he does try his hardest to fix things in the end. Stereotypes abound here, both for women and men, but not to the point that it’s offensive (unless you’re *very* easily offended) – it’s really part of the ...more
Jules
I started out enjoying this book, but it sort of went downhill for me the final 1/3 of the book. There is very little chick lit written by men and the author does come through on that front. The book is told from a male perspective which did take a little getting used to. However, the main character is well-written and believable. The author was able to successfully follow through on the genre's use of loveable/likeable female co-stars. I think the book just got predictable at the end and I foun ...more
Lisa
After the umpteenth rejection for his novel, Mitch decides to write a chick-lit novel and pass it off as being written by his female cousin. The book is a success, but more importantly, Mitch falls in love and learns how to be a better man.

There were some cute moments in the story and I thought the middle section--the "falling-in-love" part--was the best part of the book. The ending felt a little wobbly to me, but overall, the book was a pretty quick summer read.
Kate
Jul 22, 2009 Kate marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
My high school (Cor Jesu) senior year English teacher wrote this book! I remember his great interest in becoming a playwright, and I think it's great he's used his own difficulty with publishers as the premise for this book. From what I've read, the protagonist is a Ph.D. candidate who can't get anything "literary" published, and he gets the idea to write a flowery chick novel and finds it's not as easy as it looks, particularly for a male.
Nikola
There is a little bit of Nick Hornby here, especially when it comes to posing as a different person as a result of your own insecurities, as well as Tony Parsons, most evidently in scenes between Mitch and his estranged father.

Click to read the full review on my book blog.
Lurdes
Chick lit fun: he's an academic looking to publish a Great American Novel with an inability to commit to relationships when happenstance brings him an opportunity to write his own version of a chick lit novel. In the process, he learns a lot about the women he once considered vapid and falls for the gal on whom he's basing his storyline.
Gerry
Looking for a book by Ed Begley Jr, I found this. I enjoyed the story though I wanted to yell at Mitch for being so stupid sometimes.
Reading it sometimes felt like watching a train wreck.
I keep going back and forth between giving it 3 or 4 stars. I'll settle on 4.
Kristin
It may be built around the standard chick lit formula, but the fresh (male) perspective—and the clever twists—make Ms. Taken Identity an original and enjoyable read.

Read the full review at http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...
Patricia Solla
A guy writing chick-lit about a guy writing chick-lit. Okay it takes too long to get into the meat of this story. It ends well but there's something that just left me feeling off about what went on in this book.
Donna
a cute creative take on something that is usually really formulaic I got it for like $5 at a clearance table at a large named book store, didn't disappoint, I would've paid full price for this.
Clare Swapp
Michelle
Chick-lit written by a guy. Quite funny and insightful on how some guys think girls actually are.
Novel is probably based on his own experience of not being able to publish real literature.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
This is an interesting book because it comes from the male perspective of the chick lit world. it is good and love that even as a guy he gets himself into all sorts of trouble.
Amanda
This is one of those books that takes really long to get in to, and then it only gets good towards the end.
Sherry Grussing
I enjoy chick lit with a male lead. They tend to bumble about. I need to find more like this.
Janet Merrill
I loved the male perspective on chick lit. Brilliant, fun read.
Christi
I liked the idea or the plot - but I hated the book.
Jonicat Motoike
A pretty good chick-lit book.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Muslimah Wali
Muslimah Wali marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Sneha Agrawal
Sneha Agrawal marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Ms. Taken Identity by Dan Begley 1 12 Sep 05, 2009 05:44AM
  • Mating Rituals of the North American WASP
  • Heiresses
  • Love is a Four-Legged Word
  • Hollywood Car Wash
  • Unravelled
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Love in Bloom