Start by marking “My Kinsman Major Molineux” as Want to Read:
My Kinsman Major Molineux

My Kinsman Major Molineux

3.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  409 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews

THIS 34 PAGE ARTICLE WAS EXTRACTED FROM THE BOOK: The Garden of Romance, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. To purchase the entire book, please order ISBN 0766148335.

Published December 1st 2005 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1831)

To ask other readers questions about My Kinsman Major Molineux, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Kinsman Major Molineux

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeThe Playboy of the Western World by J.M. SyngeRabbit, Run by John UpdikeThe Dead by James Joyce'Tis by Frank McCourt
The Last Sentence Is the Book Title
20th out of 42 books — 21 voters
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerUncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher StoweThe Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
Kin
408th out of 780 books — 84 voters

More lists with this book...

Venky
Dec 19, 2015 Venky rated it liked it
Shelves: bibliocase
A haunting short story by one of the most enduring writers to have ever picked up a pen. Young Robin arrives by ferry at the banks of a sleepy town harbouring an expectation of some sort of employ with a more prosperous kinsman of his, Major Molineux. But upon inquiring the whereabouts of his kin, Robin is stupefied to be met with an assortment of strong rebukes, incomprehensible mirth and satirical comments. What has Major Molineux done to warrant such a strong reaction? Most importantly where ...more
Richard F. Schiller
A brief and interesting short story of allegory. The Old World Brits are succeeded by the New World Americans.
Kira Brighton
Oct 06, 2015 Kira Brighton rated it really liked it
Very Hawthorney. I'm a Hawthorne fan. What can I say?

*Read for school senior year college*
Allison Riehl
Feb 16, 2016 Allison Riehl rated it liked it
Shelves: classic
An interesting commentary on violence and what one thinks one knows.
Rebecca Lentz
Apr 16, 2014 Rebecca Lentz rated it really liked it
Never quite understood this tale, although it was creepy!
Becca-Rawr
I like Hawthorne, really. I've written papers on Hawthorne, read several shorts stories and biographies. But there's always one piece in an author's library that makes you shrug your shoulders and go 'eh.'

"My Kinsman, Major Molineux," was eh... I could see the plot behind it and the purpose, but it was otherwise unremarkable.
Widad Zawaneh
Jun 20, 2013 Widad Zawaneh rated it really liked it
How is really Hawthorne a genius by using Robin and Major as symbols for the political conflict between America and Britain which was taken place that time in America .. The most quotation I loved is " you may rise in the world without the help of your kinsman , Major Molineux "
Patricia
Teresa
Apr 27, 2008 Teresa rated it really liked it
Short story of a young man's coming-of-age (over the course of one night), set right before the American Revolution. Hawthorne had a way of making any topic haunting with his wonderful use of imagery.
Camila
Mar 19, 2013 Camila rated it liked it
I liked it. Not of my particular taste but entretaining. A bit predictable. A good example of an initiation story (coming of age), with interesting descriptions.
Raisi
Mar 25, 2013 Raisi added it
Poor Robin, I bet he was the entire evening thinking WTF is wrong with everybody hahaha.
Tabetha
Tabetha rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Reem Nadeem
Reem Nadeem rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Fanney Magna
Fanney Magna rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Peach
Peach added it
Jul 13, 2016
Syed Yusuf Ali
Syed Yusuf Ali rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Alva
Alva marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Erenik Dujaka
Erenik Dujaka rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
L. Zhou
L. Zhou rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2016
Medea
Medea rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Lane
Lane added it
May 31, 2016
Colleen Murphy
Colleen Murphy rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Karli
Karli added it
May 24, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro/The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
  • The Altar of the Dead
  • Caged View: A Collection of Urban Fantasy Short Stories (Santeria Habitat, #0.5)
  • The Devil and Tom Walker
  • The Prophet's Hair
  • Life of Merlin
  • At the 'Cadian Ball
  • Poems of Phillis Wheatley
  • History of the Britons (Historia Brittonum)
  • William Wilson
  • Araby (Dubliners)
  • Le Lai de Lanval
  • "Sweat"
  • The Rape of Lucrece
Nathaniel Hawthorne was a 19th century American novelist and short story writer. He is seen as a key figure in the development of American literature for his tales of the nation's colonial history.

Shortly after graduating from Bowdoin College, Hathorne changed his name to Hawthorne. Hawthorne anonymously published his first work, a novel titled Fanshawe, in 1828. In 1837, he published Twice-Told T
More about Nathaniel Hawthorne...

“May not one man have several voices, Robin, as well as two complexions?” 2 likes