Start by marking “Forgotten Among the Lilies: Learning to Love Beyond Our Fears” as Want to Read:
Forgotten Among the Lilies: Learning to Love Beyond Our Fears

Forgotten Among the Lilies: Learning to Love Beyond Our Fears

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  127 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The author of The Holy Longing explores the debilitating obsessions that often dominate our lives and offers down-to-earth guidance for learning to leave our fears, anxieties, and guilt “forgotten among the lilies.”

“Rarely do we taste the food we eat or the coffee we drink. Instead we go through our days too preoccupied, too compulsive, and too dissatisfied to really be ab
Published February 20th 2007 by Image (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Forgotten Among the Lilies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgotten Among the Lilies

Margaret
A book with moments of brilliance and cutting edge at least for me and yet there were mediocre sections in the book. It often wavered over to the two star rating especially when discussing church politics or delved into subjects that I am not interested in. The redeeming factor is the fact that the author often referred to Thomas Merton, my favorite Christian author. The first part through to the middle was the best and the latter part lost my interest. Still a worthwhile read.
Alison
This was a gift to me from Brother Martin; an 82 year old Hispanic monk and WWII veteran whom I developed a crush on while on retreat at the Trappist Abbey of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Thomas Merton was a Trappist monk). At the beginning of my three days at the Abbey, Brother Martin loaned me a book and a tape; "The Spirituality of Imperfection", and "Br. Martin, Memories of the War in the Pacific". I lent him "War and the Soul". At the end of the three days, we met and traded back, and he gave me ...more
Katie
Jan 01, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book a while ago but somehow forgot to note it here. I love this book so much. I wrote several long journal entries about all the things it made me ponder and consider and re-evaluate. Rolheiser is a much-needed quiet, contemplative voice in a hurried, brash world. And not contemplative in that kind of staged, yoga pants and mat sort of way, either. He isn't afraid to approach controversy and frightening questions. He makes you look at yourself and your flaws unflinchingly, and r ...more
Quilltips
This was, beyond a doubt, one of the most beautiful and healing books I have read in a very long time. I took my time with this book, reading it a few sections at a time and thinking about them, and I think the slow pace helped me to absorb more of what it said.

Perhaps the most thought-provoking section, in my opinion, is his series of essays on whole sexuality and its place in human life and interaction. He gives a beautiful defense of priestly celibacy -- from the perspective of someone who ha
Jeff
Aug 08, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW. This book was amazing, and I definitely recommend it. It had long chapters, broken into small subchapters which made you think over the chapters quite a bit in different ways. The subtitle is, "learning to love beyond our fears," but in reality it's about receiving the love of God despite our fears, and in receiving that love, the unconditional love of God, and the radically gracious and merciful love of God, how that empowers us to live life free and enables us to give our lives more freel ...more
Laurie
Jun 22, 2012 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Osman
Jun 24, 2012 John Osman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We used this book for a book club and it was a source of much discussion. A few of Rolheiser's reflections were extremely powerful and the source of transformation.

The book is a collection of essays from Rolheiser's column published in numerous Catholic periodicals and/or publications. They are just the right size for reflection - two or three pages. As a matter of fact, they are just the right size as a source for the different media form of the web. One could take the text and add images or au
Darren
Oct 12, 2009 Darren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theo-sue
Never have I heard the erotic nature of man understood as a force that aids the spiritual life, but Rolheiser makes this lesson clear throughout.

"Christianity will have power when we have vital communities which can, concretely, offer an alternative to the second-best compensations that our world offers.

When the touch of human warmth, genuine community, is withheld, we will always have a lot of unbelievers and a lot of struggling believers."
Phil
Mar 24, 2014 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This is a set of short pieces on various topics dealing with prayer and being a Christian (specifically, a Catholic) in the real world. Those familiar with Rohlheiser's other books will notice familiar themes present in a rather freer style. Rohlheiser has a tendency to default to grace which makes him a gentle read. His insights are generally good, although any collection will have elements which are not necessarily the strongest. On the whole, a good collection and worth reading.

Erica
This was a wonderfully insightful book. I really enjoyed how many topics were explored in regards to love. I feel it is a book I could read over and over again and truly gain new insights each time. It is something that you could choose a specific topic to look at and use as a meditation or part of prayer.
Theresa Noble
I really enjoy Rolheiser's books, they are very insightful. However, I found this book a bit disjointed and hard to get through. I felt like some of the chapters were homilies he had given at funerals thrown in as chapters and that was a bit disappointing to me. The book did not seem unified.
Charlotte Jones
Apr 21, 2015 Charlotte Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book filled with practical and necessary truths. It is a collection of smaller essays and is easily read in a short span of time. There were a few sections I read 4 times because they were just so great.
Sarahmarie
Jan 25, 2014 Sarahmarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read about connecting to faith and Christ and being able to let go of our fears to live life more fully. One to savor and read slowly. I didn't relate fully to all of the Roman Catholic thinking, but I appreciated the universal Christian truths and reminders of love and grace.
Bernice
This book is written topically, so you can just flip to certain writings and receive his insights. I liked some of his writings and I didn't like others. Sorry I can't be more specific. But, I read a chapter of this book during breakfast for months, so I can't remember a lot of it.
Kelsey
May 08, 2015 Kelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Amazing, wonderful book! It felt like some passages were speaking straight to my soul, giving words to thoughts that I'd never been able to put into words before. LOVED, LOVED it.
Albert Hong
Aug 22, 2014 Albert Hong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I love this guy. I find such resonance with how he sees God, the world, and what the good life really is. Nice, short pithy reflections that get straight to the point.
Peggy Mackey
Peggy Mackey rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Rita Snider
Rita Snider rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2014
Rookie Ferraren
Rookie Ferraren rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Derek
Derek rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2008
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2008
Kay Berends
Kay Berends rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2013
Christopher C. Hall
Christopher C. Hall rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
albert coppola
albert coppola rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Val
Val rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Ken Root
Ken Root rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
adam
adam rated it really liked it
May 28, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Praying Our Goodbyes
  • Can You Drink the Cup?
  • Tell It Slant: A Conversation on the Language of Jesus in His Stories and Prayers (Spiritual Theology #4)
  • The Wisdom of Tenderness: What Happens When God's Fierce Mercy Transforms Our Lives
  • Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go