Start by marking “Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Jilid I” as Want to Read:
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Jilid I

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Jilid I (Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  546 ratings  ·  45 reviews
copy-editor: Diniarty Pandia

Mr. Norrell membangkitkan sihir praktis dengan cara yang menggemparkan dan menuntut imbalan yang cerdas... Norrell pergi ke London untuk menunjukkan kegeniusannya di hadapan Pemerintah dan menjadi terkenal... Vinculus menyampaikan ramalan misterius di hadapan penonton yang tidak menyukainya... Seorang wanita muda dibangkitkan dari kematian namun
Published September 2009 by PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Jilid I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Jilid I

Many reviews have been written about this fantastical novel, set in early 19th century England. Mine probably won't add much to the list, but here goes. 3.5 stars, I would say.

The two magicians, Norrell and Strange, with their intentions to bring the tradition of ancient magic back to England, are at odds with one another as how to do so. A nasty faerie is summoned by one, opening a door where enchantment of other humans are brought to a parallel dark world. The faerie's self-serving motives co
I don't really know how to describe the special magic that this book has. It just flows so beautifully. Oh and if you want to know what people mean by "British humour", it's this. They mean this. Right here.
Here are some books I thought of while reading this book:

Against the Day (Pynchon)
The Dalkey Archives (Flann O'Brien)
Wizard of Earth Sea (LeGuin)
Anything by Jane Austen)
Jack Maggs (Peter Carey)
If I had read more gothic ghost stories, I'd name drop one of them as well, but I haven't - but there were times it all felt a bit scary.

All of which is to say that although it was about magic, it was also about early 19th century England and the way those people viewed themselves (and Europe) and the way
Those sensible people which inhabit Clarke's world often find themselves captivated by the presence of a rather unsensible magic. The trees whisper as their shadows shift positions, visions flash unbidden and unbroken through the minds of men, and before them strange worlds unravel like carpets of welcome... or else drag one through their doorways of mirrors and rain. So it is for the characters. So it is for the reader.

At times the pages presented me their carpets, and at others they dragged m
José Ramos
This is a very enjoyable book perfect to summer reading. Here you'll read about magic, of course, but from other point of view different to Harry Potter.

The book tells the story of two men: one of them Mr Norrell is a "classic wizard" who does "classic magic". He studies lots of magic books about the theory of Magic and speels in general. Indeed, he is the last wizard that does real magic, but there is a black side which you'll figure out along the story.

On the other hand, we have the second m
I love world-building. And Ms. Clarke is a delightful world-builder. This is a really fun book.

For anyone who liked Harry Potter, or who likes their history with a bit of whimsy, this is a charming book to read, and some of the easiest 1,000 pages you'll ever run across. The prose is a tounge-in-cheek send up of the novels of manners (I really liked this- and I haaaate Jane Austen and her ilk).

I came across this work after the tv adaption was recommended for those needing a Game of Thrones fix
Novel yang benar-benar british, sang penulis tampaknya betul-betul memerhatikan detail. Latar tempat, waktu, dan suasananya mengilustrasikan abad kesembilanbelas dengan sangat apik. Belum lagi penokohannya yang unik, menggambarkan sistem pengelasan yang ada di London pada saat itu. Baik dalam ragam lisan maupun tulisan, tata bahasa yang digunakan sangat cermat dan tanpa cela.

Dari segi cerita, alurnya menurut saya agak lambat. Akan tetapi, saya menikmati gaya bahasanya yang klasik sehingga menges
One of the best books I've read in years. This book has been called Harry Potter for adults - think that is an accurate description. At almost 1,000 pages it seemed daunting, and I kept thinking I would let it go. That is until I read the 3rd chapter - everything changed after that. Engaging, fun, took me awhile to read the entire thing, but it was worth it. Even more - I didn't want it to end. I would have happily read 1,000 more pages.
Anna Gasperini
I just read the last page of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, a goal that for some time I doubted I would achieve. I would like to write something about it while the experience of reading it is still fresh.
I borrowed this book from a friend because the hint of the story written on its back intrigued me. For one-hundred-fifty pages or so, I wondered in what sort of mess I had put myself, since I could not recall such a heavy reading in years and I am not used to put a book down unless it's fini
Apr 10, 2014 Eva rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Saya menyukai buku ini. Meski gaya bercerita agak sedikit khas penulis perempuan, namun tidak berlebihan. Kemudian ceritanya sendiri dari sudut2 pandang karakter diceritakan dengan cara positif, yang menurut saya luar biasa, menjadikan buku ini layak dibaca semua kalangan.

Dalam buku ini sendiri penulis tidak memihak, seakan pembacalah yang diminta untuk memutuskan mana yang antagonis ataupun protagonis atau mana yang benar dan salah.

Meski penulis menggunakan banyak footnote, yang biasanya menge
Buku ini brilliant! Kalau kamu suka Inggris Kuno dan narasi yang unik, novel ini menarik banget!

Ini kisah tentang masa di mana tingkat tertinggi dari sihir adalah teori. Jadi, semua penyihir di Inggris adalah penyihir teoritis. Sampai tiba-tiba.. ada seorang penyihir praktis muncul. Namanya Mr. Norrell. Novel ini memang hanya berpusat pada Mr. Norrel. Karena aslinya, ini bukan novel berseri.. melainkan novel utuh yang diterjemahkan dan diterbitkan oleh Gr*media dalam 3 jilid. Nah, jilid 1 Ini f
A tour de force. Did I like it? I think I liked it a lot, but it was a strange book indeed. Nothing much actually happens, and yet breath-taking magic spells are cast and there is a nightmarish quality to much of the story - the mood sort of reminded me of Charlie Fletcher's "Stoneheart" trilogy. One thing is certain: you never know what's going to happen next. In fact, it's hard to know where the book is going at times. There is no proper ending to my mind, and yet it is strangely satisfying. A ...more
Rafal Jasinski
Pierwszy tom tej sympatycznej, stylizowanej na osiemnastowieczną gawędę, osadzonej w alternatywnej rzeczywistości opowieści, daje zaledwie przedsmak tego, co z pewnością czeka czytelnika w pozostałych dwóch woluminach. Polskie wydanie "Johathana Strange i pana Norella" jest nieco krzywdzące, bowiem tom ów nosi wszelkie cechy wprowadzenia do szerzej rozpisanej historii, co owocuje tym, że naprawdę ciekawie rzeczy zaczynają się dziać dosłownie na kilka stron przed zakończeniem tej części.

Ta "próbk
Aug 12, 2013 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sean by: Rebecca Rafferty
This was a long haul: for some reason GoodReads thinks it's 336 pages, but the edition I read was a pretty dense 1009, and the first few hundred were a bit slow. It reminded me a bit of Ian McEwan's Atonement in this regard, though JS&MN didn't undergo quite the change in pace of that book. The relationship between the two lead characters is, by the end, what seems really to have driven the book.

Without spoilers, I do want to comment on the ending. I finished this book as I was reexamining
Ayu Palar
Terdapat jutaan buku tentang sihir dan hal-hal magis, namun saya yakin tidak banyak yang bisa bertahan dan akan terus dikenang sebagai buku yang hebat. Tidak banyak juga yang bisa menyajikan sebuah dunia magis yang berbeda: mencekam, menjerat tapi juga memesona. Susanna Clarke membawa kita ke dunia di mana sihir baru saja akan memulai kembali masa kejayaannya, Inggris di awal abad 19. Sebelum kedatangan Mr. Norrell ke London, sihir praktis tidak lagi dilakukan. Sihir hanya menjadi bahan kajian d ...more
I read the first part and now I feel like I have to keep a small break before continuing.

This book is funny, because at parts I loved the language but the plot was just incredibly boring, and at times the plot is interesting, but the writing annoys me so much I wanna throw the book out of the window. And she uses the word "cried" way, way, way too much. I just feel like this big epic book should have been shorter and she should have spent more time with the editing.
The writing style was unique and quirky, but the general plot was rather bland and I had to force myself to finish it. Plus, the back of the book gave away too much information so I never felt surprised or intrigued by the plot. It was often humorous, and I enjoyed the quips and social comments it made, but overall I found it dull and wanting.
Stella Wenny
Pinjem dari Belle, hehe :">
TBH, suka banget sama cerita dan konsepnya, biarpun sebenarnya gak wah2 banget juga. Ceritanya enak diikutin dan lumayan bikin penasaran. Universenya juga niat banget ngebangunnya sampe hal kecil pun bisa ada detil latbek storynya di footnote =)) Cuma, kadang bikin bosen karena di beberapa bagian berasa bertele-tele, apalagi di awal. Dan karakternya, somehow, ngga likeable :-? Looking forward for the second book, tho :>
Técnica, ejecución e imaginación no tienen que enfrentarse, en absoluto.-

Género. Narrativa fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. En una Inglaterra decimonónica muy parecida a la de nuestra Historia, con la salvedad de que la magia existió realmente en el pasado, los magos actuales son teóricos del tema y amantes de los libros sobre el asunto. Cuando uno de ellos, el reservado y poco dotado socialmente Sr. Norrell, muestra que él sí puede usarla, las percepciones al respecto de la magia comienzan a camb
Cypress Ruby
waw. Serasa baca Bartimaeus Trilogy tapi lebih Nyata. Tidak ada pertunjukan sihir yang menggemparkan seperti Harry Potter atau si Nathaniel nya Bartimaeus tapi menggambarkan si egois Mr Norrel nya itu bagus sekali. Begitu.... manusiawi dan tidak berlebihan. Betul-betul khas Inggris di abad 19. Klasik dan mencekam gimanaaa gitu. Pingin kasih satu bintang lagi tapi sejujurnya, agak membosankan buat saya. Atau memang dimaksudkan seperti itu? Karena tokoh utama di jilid 1 ini bagaimanapun adalah Mr ...more
Harun Harahap
Kisahnya kurang greget gimana gitu. Mungkin karena gw ngebandinginya si HarPot itu ceritanya agak heboh, nah kisah penyihir yang satu ini agak melempem (padahal gw juga ga baca HarPot, tapi nonton pelmnya doank :P ). Di jilid pertama ini, masih menceritakan siapa dan bagaimana sepak terjang Mr. Norrell, yang mana gw ga gitu suka sama karakternya. Dan sedikit banget diceritain tentang Jonathan Strange. Mungkin di jilid keduanya lebih banyak diceritakan kali yah. Yuk ah mari lanjut ke jilid dua, S ...more
Riski Haryusari
Sebenernya bisa aja ngasih bintang lima, tapi gaya ceritanya yang agak berputar-putar pas nyeritain Mr. Norrell (apa memang sengaja gitu? Entahlah) akhirnya ngasih bintang empat aja.

Penasaran sama buku kedua. Kayaknya seru.
Ne samo da ima vsevednega pripovedovalca, ima tudi vsevednega prevajalca, zato iz srca svetujem, da se izogibate opomb prevajalca.

Knjiga ima zelo počasen začetek in slog pisanja, ki se ga je potrebno navaditi (nekatere dvomljive prevajačeve odločitve tega ne olajšajo).

Sicer je knjiga nenavadna, fantazijska, humorna, vendar takšna ne na prvo žogo, in obeta zanimivo zgodbo v sledečih dveh knjigah.
The most wonderful aspect of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is the author's ability to create extremely interesting moments surrounded by chapters of nothing worth mentioning. Miss Clarke's beautifully crafted pastiche and utter contempt for her characters' happiness is refreshing, and I look forward to discussing these merits with her at our next encounter.

-- Satan
Tammy Sleet
I really liked this book. It's a classic novel which meanders like old english countryside. The voice of the author is interesting. Is it just my copy that has a large chunk repeated in the middle or was this a massive typo?! If you're in the mood to put some time into a book, this is a good one to spend time with.
Riris Fadilah
Sangat menikmati kata demi kata nya. Memang bukan fantasy sejenis Harpot atau Bartimaeus yang menekankan sihirnya, tapi lebih ke deskripsi karakter orang inggris dengan setting 1800-an. Karakter2 serta aksi2nya sangat menarik, lucu, dan semacam sentilan untuk case/situasi kita sehari-hari
A rambling old manor of a novel, filled with unexpected rooms and the eerie feeling that anything might be around any given corner. Dense and dry in language though atmospheric and engaging in content. Took me months. Glad I read it, glad to have finished.
Lavalette Erica
interesting with a little sense of humor. I almost couldn't put this book down. what an authentic story about magic and magician. it also has great story-telling, but the footnotes are irresistible! I'm sure the footnotes itself worth a book :))
George Dobbs
A well thought out historical fantasy where magic plays a part in early 19th century England. The use of period language was impressive.

Probably should have bought an edition with more generous margins & binding.
Alamgir Khan
Highly imaginative and interesting. However, it's not easy to explain the story, nor to properly say what It's so good. That is further testament to its quality and originality.
Are the footnotes essential reading? 5 3 Aug 22, 2015 11:47AM
  • From Emperor To Citizen: The Autobiography Of Aisin Gioro Pu Yi
  • A Daughter of the Samurai
  • Hotarubi No Mori E
  • Underworld London: Crime and Punishment in the Capital City
  • Saga no Gabai Bachan (Nenek Hebat dari Saga)
  • A Magic Broken
  • Gema Sebuah Hati
  • Sepeda Merah Vol. 1: Yahwari
  • Afro-American Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Corruption
  • Stulecie detektywów. Drogi i przygody kryminalistyki
  • Such, Such Were the Joys
Susanna Clarke was born in Nottingham in 1959. A nomadic childhood was spent in towns in Northern England and Scotland. She was educated at St Hilda's College, Oxford, and has worked in various areas of non-fiction publishing, including Gordon Fraser and Quarto. In 1990, she left London and went to Turin to teach English to stressed-out executives of the Fiat motor company. The following year she ...more
More about Susanna Clarke...

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (3 books)
  • Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Jilid II