Spaceballs: The Book

Spaceballs: The Book

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Spaceballs, the nastiest beings in the universe, have decided to kidnap the beautiful Princess Vespa. But she's already run off from her wedding and is speeding away in a Mercedes space coupe, accompanied by her robot, Dot Matrix. Meanwhile, our hero, Lone Starr, threatened by terrible Pizza the Hut, is flying his Winnebago as far away as possible.

Will the wicked Spaceball...more
Mass Market Paperback, 122 pages
Published June 1987 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Spaceballs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spaceballs

Richard
Jun 14, 2012 Richard added it
Recommends it for: not even my worst enemy but maybe Jeremy Kyle
We've all seen Spaceballs and thought it was hilarious, right? A novelisation should be a laugh too, right?

WRONG.

Someone needs to tell 'Jovial Bob Stine' that jokes aren't as funny if you add exclamation points and explain why its funny. Seriously, turn to any page in the book and see if you can't find at least three exclams - some paragraphs contained twice as many!

On top of that almost all the best lines from the movie are missing, the author added some hilarious(!) jokes of his own and all...more
Alex Edwards
I thought the book "Spaceballs" by R.L. Stine was better than you would typically expect from the book version of a comedy movie made in the 1980's. If you have seen the movie, you can imagine all of this stuff actually happening, and it's pretty funny! It's definitely made for anyone that has interest in the arts of comedy, or anyone who just likes to laugh. The book was very close to the movie, which I watched after I finished the book. It's a spoof of Star Wars, based in space, but instead of...more
Colleen Venable
GUYS! That "Jovial Bob Stine" on the cover of this Spaceballs novelization...is actually R.L. Stine!!! That's right, I give that fact THREE exclamation points. Made me love this ridiculous novelization even more. Somehow this is even sillier than the actual film and unlike his other awesome books I read in my childhood, this one didn't give me nightmares. (Though I did once have a dream that a robot version of Joan Rivers picked out my clothes in the morning, but who HASN'T had that dream.)
Stephen Herfst
I am embarrassed to admit that I read this book - I was young, I didn't know better. I wanted to watch the film, and this was the closest I could get to it without the power of the internet or a bank balance.

I'm not sure how a book about a slapstick film was ever thought a good idea. It almost conveyed humour, but was let down by an innate inability to actually write a humorous recount of the film.

Also, almost none of the corny lines made it into the book. What aspect of recounting a film don't...more
St-Michel
Oh jeeze. I can't believe I even read this, let alone, admit to reading it. Hey, I was a kid, the movie just came out and Spaceballs was just...cool. I'm sure I thought it was great at the time - the novelization of Spaceballs. I mean, we're talking Spaceballs!! That movie was incredible when it came out, and just hilarious. It really makes you realise 20 years later: novelisations of movies are about ther worst idea ever conceived.
What's funny is that I just watched this the other day and that'...more
Mike Steven
The film is pretty average at best, yet in turning it into a book 'Jovial Bob Stine' manages to removed pretty much all of the humour.

For some reason, the book is written for a younger audience than the film is aimed at and, instead of using the change of media to add depth or additional jokes, Stine simply describes the key moments of the plot of the film in the simplest manner possible.

Do not read this book.
Dave
Apr 25, 2007 Dave rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody
This novelized version of the movie classic by Mel Brooks is actually a scathing allegory of the socialist movement in the early 20th century. At least that’s what I said in my 5th grade book report on this enlightening read.
Dr.  Toxic
Yes. I read this. I had a deal with my parents back then. I wasn't allowed to watch anything PG-13 unless I read the book. God did my childhood suck.
Richard Sampson
A very funny adaptation. Some of the good scenes are hard to pull off in text, but the adaptation got around those. A nice read for any Spaceballs fan.
Damian
Read this in primary school, still have it, didn't live up to expectations.
Jeff
Lot of times the book is better than the movie. Sometimes it ain't.
Cindy
"Hey! I don't have to put up with this! I'm rich!"
Mike
Yeah, I read... what's it to ya!
Andree
Andree marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Barbara Signorelli
Barbara Signorelli marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Dillon
Dillon marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Combo
Combo marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Aug 02, 2014
Helen Pasquill
Helen Pasquill marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Ryan
Ryan added it
Apr 17, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

R. L. Stine b...more
More about R.L. Stine...
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)