Start by marking “Spaceballs: The Book” as Want to Read:
Spaceballs: The Book

Spaceballs: The Book

3.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Spaceballs, the nastiest beings in the universe, have decided to kidnap the beautiful Princess Vespa. But she's already run off from her wedding and is speeding away in a Mercedes space coupe, accompanied by her robot, Dot Matrix. Meanwhile, our hero, Lone Starr, threatened by terrible Pizza the Hut, is flying his Winnebago as far away as possible.

Will the wicked Spaceball
Mass Market Paperback, 122 pages
Published June 1987 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Spaceballs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spaceballs

Richard
Jun 14, 2012 Richard added it
Recommends it for: not even my worst enemy but maybe Jeremy Kyle
We've all seen Spaceballs and thought it was hilarious, right? A novelisation should be a laugh too, right?

WRONG.

Someone needs to tell 'Jovial Bob Stine' that jokes aren't as funny if you add exclamation points and explain why its funny. Seriously, turn to any page in the book and see if you can't find at least three exclams - some paragraphs contained twice as many!

On top of that almost all the best lines from the movie are missing, the author added some hilarious(!) jokes of his own and all
Alex Edwards
Mar 02, 2014 Alex Edwards rated it it was amazing
I thought the book "Spaceballs" by R.L. Stine was better than you would typically expect from the book version of a comedy movie made in the 1980's. If you have seen the movie, you can imagine all of this stuff actually happening, and it's pretty funny! It's definitely made for anyone that has interest in the arts of comedy, or anyone who just likes to laugh. The book was very close to the movie, which I watched after I finished the book. It's a spoof of Star Wars, based in space, but instead of ...more
Colleen Venable
GUYS! That "Jovial Bob Stine" on the cover of this Spaceballs novelization...is actually R.L. Stine!!! That's right, I give that fact THREE exclamation points. Made me love this ridiculous novelization even more. Somehow this is even sillier than the actual film and unlike his other awesome books I read in my childhood, this one didn't give me nightmares. (Though I did once have a dream that a robot version of Joan Rivers picked out my clothes in the morning, but who HASN'T had that dream.)
Stephen Herfst
Feb 21, 2012 Stephen Herfst rated it did not like it
I am embarrassed to admit that I read this book - I was young, I didn't know better. I wanted to watch the film, and this was the closest I could get to it without the power of the internet or a bank balance.

I'm not sure how a book about a slapstick film was ever thought a good idea. It almost conveyed humour, but was let down by an innate inability to actually write a humorous recount of the film.

Also, almost none of the corny lines made it into the book. What aspect of recounting a film don't
St-Michel
Jan 17, 2008 St-Michel rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1980s-childhood, own
Oh jeeze. I can't believe I even read this, let alone, admit to reading it. Hey, I was a kid, the movie just came out and Spaceballs was just...cool. I'm sure I thought it was great at the time - the novelization of Spaceballs. I mean, we're talking Spaceballs!! That movie was incredible when it came out, and just hilarious. It really makes you realise 20 years later: novelisations of movies are about ther worst idea ever conceived.
What's funny is that I just watched this the other day and that'
Patrick
Sep 04, 2015 Patrick rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
Holy crap, this is AWFUL!
Mike Steven
Aug 08, 2012 Mike Steven rated it did not like it
The film is pretty average at best, yet in turning it into a book 'Jovial Bob Stine' manages to removed pretty much all of the humour.

For some reason, the book is written for a younger audience than the film is aimed at and, instead of using the change of media to add depth or additional jokes, Stine simply describes the key moments of the plot of the film in the simplest manner possible.

Do not read this book.
Maggie
Jun 25, 2016 Maggie rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Ok so obviously I enjoyed this but the movie is of course better, since the movie came first I'm just going to have to say that this book had a few things missing but it was still a good novelization and I basically played the movie in my head while reading this.
Dave
Apr 25, 2007 Dave rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody
This novelized version of the movie classic by Mel Brooks is actually a scathing allegory of the socialist movement in the early 20th century. At least that’s what I said in my 5th grade book report on this enlightening read.
Dr.  Toxic
Feb 20, 2008 Dr. Toxic rated it did not like it
Yes. I read this. I had a deal with my parents back then. I wasn't allowed to watch anything PG-13 unless I read the book. God did my childhood suck.
Richard Sampson
Jan 07, 2014 Richard Sampson rated it really liked it
Shelves: spaceballs
A very funny adaptation. Some of the good scenes are hard to pull off in text, but the adaptation got around those. A nice read for any Spaceballs fan.
Damian
Dec 16, 2010 Damian rated it liked it
Read this in primary school, still have it, didn't live up to expectations.
Jeff
Aug 23, 2007 Jeff rated it did not like it
Lot of times the book is better than the movie. Sometimes it ain't.
Cindy
Aug 30, 2011 Cindy rated it liked it
"Hey! I don't have to put up with this! I'm rich!"
Mike
Aug 12, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing
Yeah, I read... what's it to ya!
Cooper
Cooper marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Kapono
Kapono is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2016
Nickole Scribner
Nickole Scribner marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Ben  Shepard
Ben Shepard marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Laticia Henly
Laticia Henly marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
M
M added it
May 27, 2016
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Scott
Scott added it
Apr 22, 2016
David Breen
David Breen rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Henry
Henry rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
sierra
sierra marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Amanda Lyon
Amanda Lyon marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas
  • The Final Planet
  • First Amendment (Stargate SG-1 #3)
  • Star Trek: The Classic Episodes, Vol. 2 - The 25th-Anniversary Editions
  • Betrayals
  • Babylon 5: A Call to Arms
  • Accusations
  • Doctor Who: The Face of the Enemy
  • Personal Agendas
  • The Touch of Your Shadow, The Whisper of Your Name
  • Becoming Human (Harmony of Worlds, #2)
  • Blood Oath
  • Back to the Future, Part 2
  • Clark's Law
  • The Shadow Within
  • The Time Machine (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Maze of Worlds
  • In the Beginning (Babylon 5)

R. L. Stine b