Start by marking “West of the Pecos” as Want to Read:
West of the Pecos

West of the Pecos

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published August 1st 1992 by HarperPrism (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about West of the Pecos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about West of the Pecos

David
I actually read my Great-Grandfather's copy, which has a copyright of 1937 on it, published by Grosset and Dunlap and not dated.

Modern readers may take offense at the stereotypes and use of racial and ethnic epithets which permeate the story, but as I considered it, this may well have been the way the rough society of the period functioned.

The story itself is about what is left of the Lambeth family, Father and Daughter and a pair of their former slaves heading west to make a new life. Into the
Doug Dams
This book is an example of the typical Zane Grey book. A cowboy named Pecos Smith has a mysterious past and he comes into contact with a damsal in distress. The adventure of coming west to start a new life, conflicts with outlaws and eventually succeeding is told in Zane Grey's descriptive style. The description of being caught in a buffalo stampede is well worth the read. You can almost feel the thundering stampede as you read.
Elaine
One of my favorite Zane Grey books - I absolutely loved his books as a kid! Reading his books led me to fall in love with the American Southwest.
Jude Brigley
I loved this book as a child and for nostalgic reasons I give it many stars. I loved the film with Robert Mitchum as a child also.
brotagonist
Enjoyable, but I am tiring of reading romances when I want to read westerns. I like the accents of Grey's characters.
Herb
Really good, surprisingly literate tale of the Old West. Actually very enjoyable.
Derk
Maybe Zane Grey's best????
Donna Ulrich
Donna Ulrich marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Nernel
Nernel marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Stari Sunovrat
Stari Sunovrat marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Tall Stranger
  • Paul Clifford
  • The Return of the Mucker (Mucker, #2)
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...
Riders of the Purple Sage The Last Trail The Lone Star Ranger Betty Zane The Rainbow Trail