Start by marking “West of the Pecos” as Want to Read:
West of the Pecos

West of the Pecos

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  272 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published August 1st 1992 by HarperPrism (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about West of the Pecos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about West of the Pecos

Shae
Apr 22, 2016 Shae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, westerns
This was the first Zane Grey I ever read as a middle school student -- which is amazing to me, because as I read it this time I found the first few chapters really slow and overly landscape descriptive. Once I got past that though I was totally captivated by the story and cowboy language. It is the story of Terrill Lambert, a young girl who disguises herself as a boy, at first to please her father's dream for a son and second to protect herself in wild west Texas when her father is murdered. Her ...more
David
Oct 29, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read my Great-Grandfather's copy, which has a copyright of 1937 on it, published by Grosset and Dunlap and not dated.

Modern readers may take offense at the stereotypes and use of racial and ethnic epithets which permeate the story, but as I considered it, this may well have been the way the rough society of the period functioned.

The story itself is about what is left of the Lambeth family, Father and Daughter and a pair of their former slaves heading west to make a new life. Into the
Doug Dams
This book is an example of the typical Zane Grey book. A cowboy named Pecos Smith has a mysterious past and he comes into contact with a damsal in distress. The adventure of coming west to start a new life, conflicts with outlaws and eventually succeeding is told in Zane Grey's descriptive style. The description of being caught in a buffalo stampede is well worth the read. You can almost feel the thundering stampede as you read.
Elaine
Jan 03, 2012 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Zane Grey books - I absolutely loved his books as a kid! Reading his books led me to fall in love with the American Southwest.
Jude Brigley
Mar 04, 2013 Jude Brigley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a child and for nostalgic reasons I give it many stars. I loved the film with Robert Mitchum as a child also.
brotagonist
Apr 17, 2013 brotagonist rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
Enjoyable, but I am tiring of reading romances when I want to read westerns. I like the accents of Grey's characters.
Herb
Aug 01, 2011 Herb rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, westerns
Really good, surprisingly literate tale of the Old West. Actually very enjoyable.
Derk
Mar 16, 2008 Derk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe Zane Grey's best????
Juanita Enns
Juanita Enns rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
LeeRae Ball
LeeRae Ball marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Kara
Kara rated it liked it
May 16, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
David Shick
David Shick marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
BTM
BTM rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Theacrob
Theacrob marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
RACHEL
RACHEL rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Duginratnik71
Duginratnik71 rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Randy
Randy rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Alex
Alex added it
Apr 02, 2016
Joe Cisneros
Joe Cisneros rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
arne
arne marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Tehila
Tehila marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
A R
A R added it
Feb 29, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
  • The Tall Stranger
  • Erewhon Revisited (Erewhon , #2)
  • The Return of the Mucker (Mucker, #2)
  • Paul Clifford
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...