Start by marking “A Gift of Age: Old Lesbian Life Stories” as Want to Read:
A Gift of Age:  Old Lesbian Life Stories

A Gift of Age: Old Lesbian Life Stories

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  12 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Collection of biographies from lesbians based on interviews taken for the Old Lesbian Oral Herstory Project.
Published 2009 by OLOHP

To ask other readers questions about A Gift of Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gift of Age

Sara
Mar 21, 2015 Sara rated it liked it
This book tells the life stories of many women growing up in the early 1900s. The women are also gay and they share their stories of coming out and feeling different than everyone else.
Knowing that the stories were taken from question/answer oral interviews, I can understand that it must have been difficult to transfer to a story format. Some of the storylines seemed awkwardly pieced together.
Overall, I think it is a great way to capture glimpses of what life was like for these women. Some were
Sharon Raphael
Mar 22, 2010 Sharon Raphael rated it it was amazing
A Gift of Age will grab you. Each story is a separate adventure and all the Lesbians interviewed have fascinating and productive lives. It has been a while since I read the book but figure I need to go back again again and refresh my memory of sisters who had the strength to endure and thrive in homophobic times. Not that anything has changed so extremely much but still the fifties and forties were very difficult times for Lesbians trying to find a place in the world. I look forward to new volum ...more
Dr Kay
Feb 28, 2010 Dr Kay rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book of old lesbians' personal history. No one has ever documented this history in this personal style. It is fun to see the similarities and differences. I know Eversmeyer and she drove all over the country, visiting these people and documenting their lives. There is nothing like hands-on. I did not know what to expect, but I read it in one sitting. These women made lives even with the prejudice, had great jobs, and got on with living in spite of it all. Fascinating.
Yeva
Nov 11, 2009 Yeva rated it really liked it
Though I've just received this book, I cannot put it down. It's absolutely lovely, and makes me proud to be a part of lesbian herstory.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Beth Little
Beth Little rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Jami Hart
Jami Hart rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015
Bird
Bird marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Cathleen
Cathleen marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Saundra Boyd
Saundra Boyd marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Suzi
Suzi marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
None
None marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Mary Stockton
Mary Stockton marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
David Ensign
David Ensign marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2013
Lin Jacobs
Lin Jacobs marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2013
Nita Shaw
Nita Shaw marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2013
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2012
Jae
Jae rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2010
Mary Henry
Mary Henry rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2010
Matthew Gatheringwater
Matthew Gatheringwater rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2010