Start by marking “The Second Son” as Want to Read:
The Second Son

The Second Son

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  251 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
His name is Joseph Turner, a brave young construction worker from the Bronx, who rescues an imperiled co-worker trapped on a swaying iron girder twenty-four stories high - only to slip and plummet to the pavement below. Horrified onlookers are astonished and the world is stunned by what happens next. Suddenly, miraculously, Joseph Turner is granted a rematch with life. Onl ...more
Published October 28th 1979 by Avon Books (first published October 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Son

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.The Sparrow by Mary Doria RussellTagged by Joseph M. ChironHis Dark Materials by Philip PullmanThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
SF & Theology
191st out of 207 books — 290 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee1984 by George OrwellSiddhartha by Hermann HesseSteppenwolf by Hermann HesseThe Man Without Qualities, Vol. 1 by Robert Musil
The Book Bucket "Top 10 Books" Challenge Compilation
343rd out of 984 books — 318 voters

More lists with this book...

Weng
Jan 29, 2012 Weng rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was still in highschool. I love it when books make you think about possibilities and your own beliefs. This book left it's mark on me and it became one of my favorite books of all time and after having read a lot of books since highschool, it remains as one of my favorites until now...
Steve
Nov 16, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it
Read this quite a few years ago, but I can remember thinking it was a stunning book. A modern outlook on the second coming of Christ. Not a religious book, a great story well told
Tracy
Oct 03, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing
This is a freakin really good book. It really makes you think. I don't know anyone who has read it who has not loved it, you can't put it down. It has not been in print for a long time...the church bought the rights to the book and movie they were making to stop people from reading it...I have heard. If you can find it in a second hand bookstore...snap it up. Very hard to find.
Stacy
Mar 22, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it
I loved the premise. Who is Joseph Turner and what was happening to him? Was it real or all a dream? Joseph was a great hero - strong of heart and mind, generous, open, kind, and non-judgemental. I really wanted to know what would become of him.

But, as much as I liked the premise and first half of the book, I was equally disappointed with the rest. It became so glaringly obvious in its intent that it turned me off. It became very heavy handed and the author’s problem with religion and authority
Jan 07, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
It's out of print, but if you can find a copy I LOVE this book. How the world, the Catholic Church, and toy companies would react if God's Second Son really came down among us.
Richard Scott
Feb 16, 2010 Richard Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
While not a religous person, I do find religous fiction often entertaining. Charles Sailor's "Second Son" is well written and thought-provoking. A very good read.
Beki
Apr 04, 2013 Beki rated it it was amazing
I would have to re-read this book to give a detailed review of it, which I may, at some point, do. But for right now, I'll offer an over-reaching opinion of the book in general that has been so strong in the imprint of it that it has remained unchanged from the time I originally read it, as a teenager, to now: This book is profound. It changed me in the reading of it, and is one of the handful of books to which I credit my ignition as a writer.

Many, many books have influenced me over the years,
Caroline Boyd
Sep 24, 2012 Caroline Boyd rated it really liked it
I'm pretty sure Joseph Turner is my new crush. But don't worry to all you guys out there; this book will appeal to you too, since it is an action/thriller with tons of suspense that constantly builds. I basically couldn't put it down. The book is an easy and intriguing read, with an interesting premise. There was one night when I only slept for about four hours because I was so glued to the pages. Needless to say, I strongly recommend "The Second Son" to pretty much anyone who looking for an ent ...more
June
Apr 16, 2008 June added it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: june1
Excellent and beautiful story of man who has to find himself and through quite a few trials discovers that he the second son. Doesn't quite come out and say it, but that he is Jesus coming again. Even though it is fiction, it makes one realize what Jesus might have went through being a man, and finding out who he really was. A really beaufitul story and one of the best books I ever wrote. I lent in to someone and am sorry I never got it back.
Nicole
Jun 12, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it
I read this as a teen when it was first published and found the story very thought provoking then but now it seems even more relevant with how blatantly & efficiently the evangelicals are marketing their propaganda. The strident and deliberate obfuscations they use in presenting their views to promote ingroup solidarity are worse that anything Sailor used in his book.
Richard
Sep 04, 2011 Richard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-owned
Thompson Seiwell
Mar 27, 2012 Thompson Seiwell rated it really liked it
A book that stays with you. Makes you think, what would really happen to a person in this situation. It's on Kindle now, so reread and still a very good book.
Kyra E.
Jun 18, 2011 Kyra E. rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this novel when it was published! Still memorable today. Wonder if it was ever mafe into a movie. Worth reading even today.
Evelyn
Mar 23, 2015 Evelyn rated it it was ok
I loved the first part of this book, Joseph is such a nice guy, down to earth, someone anyone would be honoured to call friend. Then outside interests got involved and turned something innocent and beautiful into something corrupt and evil. I felt disgusted by this turn of events and all enjoyment for the story was lost to me. It seemed like the author had an agenda, and some strong beliefs, and rather than gently encouraging his reader to come to his same conclusions, he tried to ram his point ...more
Rose Beyke
Mar 11, 2012 Rose Beyke rated it it was amazing
I read this long ago. I want to read it again, but can't find it. I hope it reprints someday.
Sandra
Jul 20, 2014 Sandra rated it it was amazing
I read "The Second Son" by Charles Sailor for the first time in 1980. Best book I had read in a while! I was amazed this was only his debut novel, his writing and concept were that good.
By the way,the book has 374 pages in this written edition.
Leslie Benvenuti
Jun 22, 2015 Leslie Benvenuti rated it liked it
My Step Father recommended this book to me. It was very interesting how the author wove Joseph's life into a modern take of Jesus being mocked and rejected by the Pharisees.
Simon Ford
Nov 03, 2015 Simon Ford rated it really liked it
Read this a long, long time ago. The story has always stayed with me. A very good read, thoroughly recommend it.
Jan 24, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: banned-books
Thanks to a couple of reviews on here, I skipped a huge section in the middle. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have bothered finishing after the story changed from being about a sweet man to one with to many agendas. The author could have been more subtle and the book would have been more enjoyable. Parent should expect their sons to be replicas of the first son and this author made that mistake. Really - the girlfriend, the judas, Good Friday...

This lady's goodreads post says it better than I could so
Jacob Peled
Feb 24, 2014 Jacob Peled rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, _2014
The 1st 3rd lead me to believe I'm going to rate the book with 5 stars, but then it started to be so confusing. So many names you need to follow. You don't have a chance to remember and understand, what's going on. unless you read it almost non-Stop. After a break of 4 days at one time I had to re-Read many pages to get an Idea who is who.
JC
Jan 10, 2012 JC rated it it was ok
This was a great read, conceptually speaking. It was very slow, but kept to the point of a man becoming the unrequited savior of New York City. It was an interesting take on how average people around the world would respond to the second coming of Christ. I still had a problem getting through it, despite my curiosity in cultural studies. It was dry and lacked humor that would make the characters more lovable. And it all ended before any true character development could be accomplished. I am read ...more
Janis
May 04, 2014 Janis rated it it was amazing
I read this years ago, yet I still remember it and count it among my favorites.
RJ Stayton
Jan 06, 2016 RJ Stayton rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book and re read it this past year.
Ben Vogel
Jan 04, 2011 Ben Vogel rated it it was ok
I was a precocious kid who would, from age 4 onward, read just about anything that my siblings or parents left available to me. John read this during his deeply confused and searching period around 1980, and so I also read it to discuss with him. While it spurred some discussion, I didn't find it to be particularly compelling in ideas or style. One fun idea does not a novel make.
Hombrecubano
Aug 30, 2013 Hombrecubano rated it really liked it
Good book, I frist saw thise book in the 70's and always wanted to read it. Actually easy to read and flows well. Not too crazy about the ending but overall a good book.
Bill
Jan 21, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, favorites
I read this several years ago and remember really enjoying it - think i am going to have to re-read it to remember why
Charles
May 24, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Not quite sure where to put this. It is sort of a thriller. A very intereesting book about a modern messiah.
Jan
Jul 14, 2014 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves:
I read this long ago and really liked it at the time. I'm interested to see if I will like it as well now.
R.E. Long
Oct 12, 2011 R.E. Long rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Speculative Fiction books to date. An excellent read!
Evelyn
May 02, 2009 Evelyn rated it really liked it
Good story but very predictable. After all, it is called the SECOND SON.
Koontzland - Dean...: Author Charles Sailor: Does He Really Exist? 31 50 Mar 15, 2012 01:13PM
  • I Dream of Dragons, Volume 1
  • Deadline
  • Zanna's Gift: A Life in Christmases
  • Time After Time
  • The Genesis Machine
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • The Paper Chase
  • Woman in the Dark
  • Big Red: Three Months on Board a Trident Nuclear Submarine
  • Scorpion Down: Sunk by the Soviets, Buried by the Pentagon: The Untold Story of the USS Scorpion
  • Three Cheers for Me (The Bandy Papers, #1)
  • Wargs: Curse of Misty Hollow
  • Love's Sweet Sword (Angels without Wings, #3)
  • Antediluvian
  • Preying for Keeps (Shadowrun, #21)
  • The Heretic