Start by marking “Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children, The: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children, The: A Novel

Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children, The: A Novel (Keith McGowan's "Sol and Connie Adventures" #1)

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  640 ratings  ·  195 reviews
2010 ALA Notable Children's Recording. The New Yorker recommends: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs... for info. USA Today also really liked it, calling it "scary, funny, and subversive." A 2011 Texas Bluebonnet Book and 2012 Hawai'i Nene Award Nominee. Publishers Weekly said: “McGowan makes a strong debut with this contemporary recasting of Hansel and Gretel.” BCCB re ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Brilliance Audio (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children, The

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I picked this up because it was recommended to readers who enjoyed A Tale Dark & Grimm on Amazon. I loved the humor and the quirky twist on the fairy tale of Hansel and Gretel in A Tale Dark and Grimm, and I just plain love fairy tales, so I am looking for innovative, interesting retellings of these classic stories. I'm glad my library had this on audio. It was a fun and quick read, about 3 hours (It took me longer because I listened in spurts).

Initially, I was very drawn in. The characters
Christiane
What if the witch from Hansel and Gretel did not die in the oven? What if she's now an ordinary old woman, living in a suburb (which was once a deep wood) with her little dog Swift, who is carrying a bone in his mouth that eleven-year old Sol identifies as a human femur? Sol and his younger sister have an oddly indifferent father and a not-really-very-nice step-mother, but surely that's just coincidence. A creepy retelling of the fairy tale, with parts told from the witch's point of view. Bonus ...more
Hafsah Laziaf
This review was written by my 10 year old sister!

Eleven year-old Solomon and eight year-old Constance Blinks, Sol and Connie for short, have just moved into their new house. That's where they meet old and odd Fay Holaderry and her friendly dog Swift. Swift carries a very strange, eerie-looking bone in his mouth. At first Fay seems like a normal old woman, even if she's slightly odd, so who cares? That's before they stumble upon her diary. Can Sol and Connie figure out what old Fay Holaderry is
Tanti
If you like Roald Dahl's books, you'll like this one. This is a darkly hilarious story. The two kids at the center of the story were adorable, and a bit eccentric, just like every other person in the town it seemed. I was hooked from the very first page.
Dana Wright
This book is a Texas Bluebonnet and I wanted to see what everyone was talking about. It was great! A worthwhile book for my witchy fiction and nookbook collection!
Robyn Hawk
How can you resist - The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children? It brings to mind the old WC Fields adage - when asked if he liked children, Fields purportedly answered, Yes - with a little mustard and relish!

All joking aside - this book is being touted as a lot of things...a modern version of the Hansel & Gretel tale, garnering comparisons to Roald Dahl's The Witches, and the tone of a Lemony Snicket narration.

The really great part is that kids will read and love it - it is a quick witty
paula
Sandra Stiles
I absolutely loved this book! For those of you who like the story of Hansel and Gretel, you will love this new spin on it.
The witch, Fay Holaderry has adapted her lifestyle to the present time, living like any elderly person in any community. But, looks can be deceiving.

Sol and Connie Blink have just moved to Grand Creek. They have a lovely set of parents who don't really seem to care about them. The reasons, and there are many, become clear as you read the book. Sol is a science nerd. His youn
F.J. Ismarianto
Hansel dan Gretel. Salah satu dongeng anak-anak terkenal dan telah sering diadaptasi ke layar lebar dan tidak sedikit "penggemarnya" membuat versi baru dari kisah yang melibatkan dua kakak adik dan seorang penyihir jahat. Salah satunya adalah buku ini...

Penyihir di Sebelah Rumah

... atau...

The Witch's Guide to Cook With Children.

Buku ini mengadaptasi dongeng Hansel dan Gretel versi Grimm Bersaudara yang terkenal suram. Kenapa suram? Sebab tak ada happy ending di dalamnya. Nah, apakah di buku ini.
Julie
This book had such great potential, but I really didn't like it. First off, I am going to guess that the author did some research about air pressure, so why would he put the air pressure as station pressure rather than adjusted sea level pressure? This would be much more useful to the budding scientist. And, since Sol and Connie lived by the mountains, why was the station pressure so low? I guess this part would only bother a meteorologist. Second, I felt like the forgiveness idea was treated so ...more
Kate
I read a review of this at Booklist Online, and the title grabbed my attention.

The witch who eats children, made famous by the fairy tale Hansel & Gretel, is alive and well and living in a city. She's writing a book about her various modern methods of capturing children, since there are no woods anymore for parents to "lose" their children in. Some examples include dumpsters outside of movie theaters marked "Donations" and having child-hating helpers such as baby-sitters and librarians to b
Yuska Vonita
Bukunya tipis, selesai baca seharian deh diselingi kerjaan ini-itu.

Udah lama ngga baca buku anak-anak. Ternyata seru, obat kangen akan masa kanak-kanak.

Sol itu kakak yang baik dan pintar. Sekesal-kesalnya ia pada Connie, adiknya, dia masih sayang dan mau menolongnya.

Penasaran sama lanjutannya, The Witch's Curse.

Berhubung udah janji beresin 5 buku dulu baru beli buku baru, saya kudu nahan2 diri deh.
Joyce
This re-telling of Hansel and Gretel is quirky, charming and smart. Hansel and Gretel are now Connie, a bit of a trouble maker, and Sol, her science nerd older brother. Soon after their family moves to a new town, the siblings meet neighbor Fay Holaderry and her dog, Swift, who's nibbling on a bone. They immediately get creepy vibes off Holaderry and then later determine, after a trip to the library, that the bone Swift had was a human femur. While I waited to see if Connie and Sol would land in ...more
Bryan Ball
The title and cover, I must admit, sold me on this book. What an excellent concept-- a fractured fairy tale version of Hansel and Gretel from (mostly, possibly) the witch's point of view-- the witch's modern point of view, having lived for centuries after the Hansel and Gretel encounter.

There is much charm to this book. Some particular children will be enamored with the dark, dry, very much Roald Dahl tone the narrative has. However, while this book is very much in Mr. Dahl's tradition, it do
e.c.h.a
Kereeeennnnn....suka banget dengan ceritanya. Dengan didasari kisah Hensel & Gretel, petualangan Sol & Connie pun dimulai.

Dua kakak beradik ini sangat kompak, bisa dibilang saling melengkapi. Sol yang super jenius dan Connie yang cerdik dan jahil. Kekompakan yang membuat ke dua bersaudara ini berani menghadapi penyihir yang suka memakan anak kecil.

Ceritanya mengalir meskipun ada beberapa bagian yang sepertinya belum ada penyelesaiannya. So far, saya sangat menikmati membaca kisah Sol &
Bruce Gargoyle
Ten Second Synopsis:
Siblings Connie and Sol suspect something's up when next door's dog goes past munching on a human femur. The kids will have to work together if they want to make sure they're not on Fido's dinner dish tomorrow.

This was a retelling of Hansel and Gretel with some refreshing new layers added to the tale. Apart from the expected plot line featuring the witch who eats children, there is a mysterious, riddle-spinning, pet-shop owner who wants to help the children but is bound by a
Loki
I liked the exciting parts!
I liked the end part and the middle and 4 stars for the beginning because it was only a little bit exciting at the beginning, and it was more exciting in the middle and last.
I would give it more stars but 5 is all it can go up to.
(Odin adds, "I liked the scary parts!" We've read this twice, it's a great book for Loki, who has always been fascinated with the Hansel and Gretel story. This modern day version is great.)
babyhippoface
You know the witch from Hansel & Gretel? Well, apparently, she is alive and well, and eating children who've been dropped off by their annoyed-to-the-breaking-point parents. Sol & Connie are exceptionally clever children, though, so they just might survive.

I have a feeling this will be challenged somewhere, once upon a time. But I don't think it's really objectionable, just dark humor.
Roseann
This twist on the Hansel and Gretel story starts out good; unfortunately, it doesn't develop into much. I also was not happy with the fact that there were few adults to like or trust in the story; especially with a 'witch' who disposes of children around there should be many adults ready to be heroes, and there were none here. A bit of a disappointment.
Marie Gates
I first read this book in the 5th grade, then re- read it in 6th and 8th grade. So as you can tell, I really enjoy the book. It was the first book/series I really fell in love with. It's about two brothers and sisters in the modern day world and they move into a house with a peculiar neighbor; it's a twist on hansel and gretel. Though their neighbor is a witch who has a buisness in wich people donate their child to her, if the child is 'bad'. This book has a 2nd book about after this occurance. ...more
Natasha
I'm feeling somewhere between 3.5 - 4 stars for this one. Points for the delightfully dark tone and for clever, unflappable Sol. The illustrations were pleasing enough if you only looked at a few, as the children's expressions never really changed, whether they were in mortal danger or meeting a dog. Overall, a unique re-imagining.
Tara
This book was extremely clever and fun to read--my only complaint was that I wanted it to go on for much longer! Anyone who is a fan of Roald Dahl or Lemony Snicket would love it. I look forward to reading the continuing adventures of Sol and Connie as soon as the next book comes out.
Colette
I love children. Eating them that is! has to be my all time favorite first line of a book, chapter, what ever. It is wonderful to read excerpts of this book aloud to children! This book will not disappoint!
Adison
Joseph
This was an excellent book. I loved it. This book is very fast paced and if you think it is like Hansel and Grettel, then you are very wrong.
Wendi
Mrs. Atterberry
This clever book keeps you on your toes until the end. I love that you get to know what the witch is thinking, too.
Courtney Johnson
I loved this book. It's a re-telling of the classic Hansel and Gretel. It is really short and funny. I loved it!
Bruce
Solomon and Connie Blink are moved to a new town, Grand Creek by their father and stepmother. Unknown to them the town is the home of Fay Holaderry and her dog, J. Swift. Holaderry is a witch who specializes in relieving parents of unwanted children. She keeps a notebook titled, “How to Cook and Eat Children: A Cautionary Tale.” Also unknown to eleven-year old Sol and his eight-year old sister is that the man they think is their father is actually his evil twin who has done away with their real ...more
AGM Libraryscience
loved Fay Holaderry's journal entries where she states why she finds herself "cooking with children"
  • The Duchess of Whimsy
  • Leaving the Bellweathers
  • The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1)
  • My Rotten Life (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie, #1)
  • Mudshark
  • What REALLY Happened to Humpty?: From the Files of a Hard-Boiled Detective
  • Under Town (Edgar & Ellen, #3)
  • Ghoulish Song (Zombay, #2)
  • I'm Big!
  • The Shadows (The Books of Elsewhere, #1)
  • The Hallelujah Flight
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • The Luck of the Loch Ness Monster: A Tale of Picky Eating
  • Julia Gillian (and The Art Of Knowing)
  • The Last of the High Kings (New Policeman, #2)
  • Flying the Dragon
  • The Cats of Tanglewood Forest
  • One Pup's Up
For info on me and my books, please visit me at http://www.KeithBooks.com. I'm the author of The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children and The Witch's Curse. You can also watch an interview that aired on Ohio NPR here: http://www.ohiochannel.org/MediaLibra...
More about Keith McGowan...
The Witch's Curse Rafting the Grand Canyon (bucket adventure guides Book 1)

“I love children. Eating them, that is.” 2 likes