Start by marking “City of Glory (Old New York #2)” as Want to Read:
City of Glory (Old New York #2)

City of Glory (Old New York #2)

Set against the dramatic backdrop of America’s during the War of 1812, Beverly Swerling’s gripping and intricately plotted sequel to the much-loved City of Dreams plunges deep into the crowded streets of old New York.

Poised between the Manhattan woods and the sea that is her gateway to the world, the city of 1812 is vibrant but raw, a cauldron where the French accents of C
Published January 9th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about City of Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Glory

Ron Charles
Beverly Swerling calls her latest epic about the early history of Manhattan "a novel of war and desire," but it contains a lot more desire than war. In fact, war is pretty far down its list of ingredients -- below pirates, prostitutes, runaway slaves, Chinese gangsters, man-eating rats, kidnappings, riots, rapes, amputations, secret engagements, financial panics, buried treasures and crotchless bloomers. Clearly, if Swerling had been my history teacher, I would have paid closer attention. Perhap ...more
Lacy
Feb 12, 2008 Lacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I totally love Beverly Swerling. This book isn't as epic or, really, quite as interesting, as City of Dreams, but it's still extremely entertaining, with a great cast of characters and huge external forces at work, basically everything I want in my historical fiction.

Storywise, I wish that some of the characters from the first book (mostly Jonathan and Molly Devrey) had really carried over more, instead of focusing so much on Joyful Patrick, and I wish that this novel had done more of the flipp
Marcie
Dec 15, 2007 Marcie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history lovers, baseness of humanity
This story was unfulfilling, though well researched. I was amazed at the depth of the author's historical information interwoven into the story from so many different cultures (pirates, cantonese, blacks, medical profession, boudoirs, trade and mercantile, to name a few. Despite the historical component, I was extremely repulsed by some of the graphic and gratuitous violence and sexual overtones, which I felt took away from the characters development and the story. It appeared that the author wa ...more
Amy
Mar 08, 2008 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, pretty engrossing, mildly trashy historical fiction. The last 100 pages were ri-di-cu-lous but I had fun reading this one, set in 1814 Manhattan with an imagined NY secessionist threat thrown in for dramatic effect.
J.
Sep 03, 2014 J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, american, nyc
This was one of the exceedingly rare cases where I read a sequel without reading the book that preceded it. Mainly it was because I wanted to read a book about NYC, which is dear to me, and it did seem like City of Dreams and City of Glory could stand alone.

I didn't feel any the poorer for not having read the other book, so that's a plus. I like Swerling's writing, though as someone who overwhelmingly prefers children's and YA lit, I'm realizing there are certain commonalities with adult lit tha
Nov 05, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
What intrigued me about Swerling's previous book, City of Dreams , was lacking in this follow-up. In the first book, we read about the branches of a family as they live through the beginnings of New York through the Revolution. City of Glory deals with only a few members of the family, and most of these are secondary characters. Interesting details about medicine and surgery, which dominated the family's professional interests in the first book, are all but gone in the second. Finally, the fi ...more
Nancy Knab
Sep 14, 2016 Nancy Knab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Swerling’s Old Manhattan of 1812 comes alive on the teeming streets where diverse individuals interact and plan their intrigue. The author paints a brilliant picture of the sights, sounds, and smells that put you in the center of the action.
The British are in force on American soil once again, attempting to destroy the fragile new nation. Their blockade has put a stranglehold over the merchant trade. Power-hungry opportunists are planning a secession from the Union. The Blackbirds are terroriz
Donia
Sep 23, 2016 Donia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was not to my taste. It is too violent, with too many subjects being tackled for my tastes. It is well researched but appears to my way of thinking to be an overly extensive laundry list of every possible thing that was happening in New York and its environs at the time. I need to feel invested in the central character and for me this didn't happen.
Mighty_k24
Jun 06, 2012 Mighty_k24 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: historische roman
In't kort: New York, 1812, tijdens de Britse blokkade. Joyful Patrick Turner, chirurg maar door een oorlogswond genoodzaakt zijn professionele bezigheden te verplaatsen naar een ander domein, waagt zich op de handelsmarkt, en krijgt stevige concurrentie van Gornt Blakeman. Onder hun tweetjes strijden ze om de macht in deze lucratieve branche, maar daarnaast ook om de hand van de beeldschone Manon Vionne. En om de grootste diamant van de wereld. En om de soevereiniteit van
Patricia dumas
Loved it, as I loved City of Dreams. Was looking for more historic tidbits.. as City of Dreams was full of it-- esp. the medical kind..

Swerlings characters are wonderful and inspiring. Just love curling up with her books. They are educated, and full of a love of history.

When I walk the city of NY, I often look for the landmarks in the book. Next stop, Astor Hotel.. if it's even still there. There is one building that looks like an old 18th Century house on Broadway that I always see when we're
Bryce
Jun 21, 2010 Bryce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
City of Glory takes place in New York during the War of 1812, although the war isn't the main focus of the action in the story. Instead, the plot focuses on love, pirates, treasure, betrayal, slave snatchers, diamonds, and treason. The action is so fast-paced and full of high melodrama that it makes the book hard to put down.

Which more than makes up for the fact that the historical research here seems pretty casual. I would recommend this book and all of Swerling's books to people who read and e
Les
Oct 04, 2015 Les rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows the City of Dreams. You have the same characters plus the offspring of them. You read about when New York during the War of 1812. You have a great love story between Joyful Patrick Turner and Manon Vionne. You will meet new characters and will read about Henry Astor. There is also a great background story about a famous Diamond. You have a lot a great history about old New York during this period. It is mostly a fictional account and the author tells you at the end what is true ...more
Alena
Dec 29, 2008 Alena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great historical novel. It's set in New York in 1817 or so, during the war between England and America. It involves jewels, pirates, trade with China, brothels, and so much more. This is a period I'm not very familiar with, so I appreciated the historical context. The author does a very good job of weaving historical facts in with a gripping plot and characters you'll care about. All the plot twists come together nicely at the end for a very satisfying finish. I definitely recommend th ...more
Erin
Jun 25, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New York City, War of 1812, political intrigue, jealous lovers, family squabbles...and then the author throws in pirates! This book snares you opening with a vivd account of a naval battle during the War of 1812 and continues to a secession crisis in 1814. History is more a backdrop than the forefront, which works well here. Highly recommend it to anyone who reads historical fiction like me. It was a different time period than what I usually read, but it was great. Learn more about a war that is ...more
Holly Weiss
New York City. War of 1812. Action occurs within 11 days. Dr. Joyful Turner (who we met in City of Dreams) cares for injured. The author seems even more fixated on surgical procedures and sex in this novel, which detracted from the character development for which she is known. Read to prepare for review of City of Promise, which released August, 2011.
Michaela
Jul 29, 2008 Michaela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This started out slowly, and it took a little while to refamiliarize myself with the characters' names (this is a sequel), but it was a phenomenal book. There were so many times reading this book where I had "Aha!" moments about something to do with NYC history. All of a sudden, names of places made sense. The characters were good, the story was good, lots of intrigue. This is the best way to learn history!
Sue
Aug 04, 2010 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good historical fiction set in old Manhattan. This is the second in a series after "City of Dreams". I enjoyed both books, but not raving about either one. I think it is because her main characters are men, with all the competition, plotting to get ahead, etc. that is inherently male. Female characters are secondary. However, the history is interesting and it was a good read.
Lana
Mar 28, 2009 Lana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both City of Dreams and this one are page turners. Swerling brings the time period alive. If you know anything about Manhattan, or even is you visited only once, you will enjoy this read. It also is heavy on medicinal practices at the time, a fascinating look. Her characters live and breathe. Read City of Dreams first. I plan to read Shadowbrook also.
Damian
Aug 22, 2008 Damian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy "City of Glory" as much as the original for two main reasons. 1.) It focuses far less on the Turner/Devrey feud than the original. (What can I say?...I'm a sucker for family vendettas.) 2.) The original had a far more epic feel to it considering its cast of characters and long timeline. Nonetheless, "City of Glory" was an entertaining read.
Sharples
Mar 27, 2016 Sharples rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is part 2 of a 4 part book series. The first book, City of Dreams was excellent. This one was a little more slow in parts. All the books have a bordello that is where who all is go in and out of. I love the way the author writes about the history of New York. I think all New Yorkers should read the history of past.
Shannon
I wasn't sure I would like this book since it's quite different from the first book in the series as it is all set over a few days' time, but I ended up loving it so much. John Jacob Astor is simply great and I love all the intrigue going on behind the scenes. There also are lots of tidbits only those of us who read the first book will notice, which I think makes it even better.
E. A. Fry
I was really hoping for a continuation of City of Dreams, which reads like a saga. This sort of is...

That said it isn't as interesting as the first book. The first book held me spell bound. This one I could take or leave.
Cary  Atkins
This is one of those books that I didn't want to finish, but couldn't quite put down because I had to see how the silly tale would wind up! Frustrating read. Much more a convoluted romance rather than a history lesson.
Roger
May 05, 2012 Roger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like historical fiction, this is another great outing by Ms Swerling who brings the story up to and through the War of 1812. New York at the turn of the 19th Century is vividly portrayed and snippets of actual history are woven into the plot lines. A great read.
Wynne
Sep 03, 2015 Wynne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading my way through the series. The author enjoyed presenting the swash and buckle in this one. Her detail is excellent, the story gets a bit preposterous. But I don't regret the time spent.
Victoria
Oct 12, 2014 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely unfulfilling. This story had the potential to be so much better. The 1812 war is such a rarely used war in historical fiction but my god this was bad. It was all over the place. Took far too long for me to read. Will not read any of the others.
Laurie
May 07, 2011 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read, somewhat trashy historical novel. The history info is really interesting and trying to imagine "old" New York was my favorite part of the read. (especially since I have lived in NY and was trying to envision the old locations based on my knowledge of the new locations).
Dena
Apr 11, 2009 Dena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Beverly Swerling! Her books combine a great story, history, and my favorite city. Although I think her first book, City of Dreams, was a better read, this book was about a time in history that I'm not that familiar with, so it thoroughly entertained me.

Roberta
May 25, 2014 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I enjoyed this as much as City of Dreams because I find the revolution more interesting than the war of 1812 but I shall continue along with the series. In addition I think there was more information about the development of the city than in the second one.
Shirley
Nov 14, 2016 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story telling of history

This book was was interesting and I enjoyed the historical value of this book. The characters were fully developed and ones that I grew attached and wanted to see where there story was going.
  • Banished Children of Eve:  A Novel of Civil War New York
  • I Should Be Extremely Happy in Your Company: A Novel of Lewis and Clark
  • The Blackest Bird
  • Paradise Alley
  • 1812
  • A Season of Swans (Wild Swan Trilogy, #3)
  • Metropolis
  • American Dreams (Crown Family Saga, #2)
  • 1876
  • London in Chains: An English Civil War Novel (English Civil War, #1)
  • Brookland
  • The Wild Rose of Kilgannon (Kilgannon, #2)
  • The Hornet's Nest
  • Sex Wars: A Novel of Gilded Age New York
  • Picture Maker
  • Night Song: A Story of Sacrifice (World War II Liberator #2)
  • Henry and Clara
  • The Endless Forest (Wilderness, #6)
I’m told that a number of critics who have said kind things about my books, have been less kind about the very brief bio on my book jackets. First, don’t blame Simon & Schuster; it’s my fault. Publishers use the data supplied by the author for this kind of thing, and I didn’t supply much. I guess because it seems that almost everything needs a long explanation. Which is probably me being egoti ...more
More about Beverly Swerling...

Old New York (4 books)
  • City of Dreams: A Novel of Nieuw Amsterdam and Early Manhattan (Old New York, #1)
  • City of God: A Novel of Passion and Wonder in Old New York (Old New York, #3)
  • City of Promise: A Novel of New York's Gilded Age (Old New York, #4)