Start by marking “Last Nocturne: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
Last Nocturne: A Mystery

Last Nocturne: A Mystery

What could make a successful, happily married man take a gun and shoot himself? What made a young artist on the brink of fame throw himself to his death?

These are the questions facing Chief Inspector Lamb and his assistant, Detective Sergeant Cogan. Neither victim left a note behind to explain what drove him to take his own life, and it appears that nothing untoward had oc
Published February 16th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Last Nocturne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Nocturne

Karen
Jul 02, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books, crime
I always think of these books as Jane Austen meets Crime Fiction. Which is probably somewhere between extremely unfair and absolutely acceptable depending on your own particular point of view. LAST NOCTURNE is from author Marjorie Eccles - who is best known in these parts for the Gil Mayo series, which was made into a short TV series that became quite a favourite.

Whilst Grace Thurley's decision to break off her engagement to a rather pompous local man secretly pleases her mother, moving to Lond
LJ
LAST NOCTURNE (Police Proc- CI Lamb, England/Vienna, Edwardian) – G+
Eccles, Marjorie – standalone
Allison & Busby, Ltd., UK Hardcover, 2008 – ISBN: 9780749080792

First Sentence: The child wakes in panic and sits bolt upright up in bed, clutching the cotton stuff of her nightgown to her chest.

Art gallery owner Eliot Martagon seemed to be content with his life. Theo Benton is an up-and-coming artist, some of whose paintings are displayed in Martagon’s gallery. Each man apparently commits suicide
Nancy Quatrano
Jan 01, 2014 Nancy Quatrano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, released in 2008 by the Minotaur imprint of St. Martin's book, might be an older mystery, but thankfully it was given to me by a friend when she cleaned house and I'm very glad I got to read this. With a prologue that made me think of Mary Higgins Clark, and the carefully built patches (reminiscent of Lee Child's method)that eventually are tied together with a common thread to make a fascinating quilt, this was not a carefree read, but one that reintroduced me to the wonder of taking ...more
George
Jun 21, 2011 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystery set from 1887 - 1909 with most of the action taking place in the last couple of years. The story moves back and forth between London and Vienna and involves the interaction of several characters. It starts as a couple of stories which blend together as the novel progresses. The mystery involves an event in Vienna and the deaths of two men in London.

It started a bit slow for me and the moving around between different characters and jumping between London and Vienna were off putting to me.
Taracuda
Jun 25, 2010 Taracuda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a start-in-the-middle-and-work-your-way-out sort of book, but it never lost me as the story unfolded. There was a nice combination of history and mystery with just enough love thrown in. And melancholy, too.

Parts of the plot were a bit contrived, but the elements were woven together completely enough that I'm not sure if all of the story would have been told without them.

I did expect the police detectives to play more of a role than they did, largely because I liked their characters a
Cathy
Dec 14, 2010 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book by this author I've read, mostly because I love her descriptive style of writing; but like the other title, I find her a bit long-winded. The jumps between characters, countries,a dn even decades as a mechanism to flesh out backstory and fill in clues is too much for me- I read to relax! Another reviewer described this as Jane Austen meets crime fiction- I think it's a prefect summary. Great historical writing, interesting mystery, just about 3 chapters overwritten.
Rhonda
Mar 09, 2010 Rhonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
while i liked it mostly, i can't say i loved it. the story was very intricate, taking place in the past and the present and in two different countries with many, many characters. at times, i felt bogged down. sometimes there seemed to be too many details and it dragged. i'll consider trying another of her books. she has good critical acclaim, so another chance seems appropriate.
Amy Paget
Jun 13, 2015 Amy Paget rated it liked it
A British detective procedural with LOTS of atmosphere. Set in pre-world war I London and Vienna, Marjorie Eccles produces a mystery where the new trends in art and the new roles for women play a prominent role. I think I enjoyed this most for the manner in which the tempestuous trends in the early 20th century art world play into the mystery. If it's about the art world...I will read it!
Terri
Jul 31, 2013 Terri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The story is set in the early 1900's in England, with side trips to the past in Vienna. Slowly, very much so, the story evolves. Starting with 2 apparent, unconnected suicides, friends, family and a policeman discover what really happened in Vienna, and how involved the two deaths.

Second read of this, and it was difficult to get through.
Susan
There seems no connection between the unexplained suicide of a respectable art dealer and that of an impecunious artist. As Chief Inspector Lamb threads his way through the high and low points of Edwardian London, he finds all links lead back to a mysterious woman and child who have left Vienna for England after a strange death, shrouded in mystery.
Michele
The mystery itself is interesting but there were too many "main" characters. I enjoy this in a book if each character is well developed and adds an interesting perspective. But in this case it felt like we were switching around too much without significant investment in character development. It led to an overall feeling of disjointedness.
Dee
Dec 28, 2010 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good Edwardian mystery. Eccles takes her time, as would the people of that time, in setting out her characters, and the plot. A good twisted plot, with lots of red herrings. Who would have thought that the eminent banker Julian Manning, would have been capable of such cold, dastardly deeds?
Mary Kay
At the turn of the last century, Chief Inspector Lamb has his hands full with the apparent suicides of two successful, happy men. The truth lies in occurences in Vienna several years ago, but several of the key players are muddying the waters.
Jana Denardo
Nov 23, 2012 Jana Denardo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It felt more like a historical contemporary story than a mystery especially with long interludes taking place years before the murders but are the root of it. I liked it well enough but wasn't overwhelmed by it either.
Kerry
Dec 14, 2010 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining mystery. Not the best book I've ever read, but a quick and easy read that kept me entertained. Good light reading.
Anna
Jul 14, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pat Malon
Good mystery, enjoy her writing.
Jenny
Mar 13, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting mystery. I really liked four of the characters. The others, not as much.
Cyndie
Jul 02, 2010 Cyndie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am almost finished. Pretty good story, if I could just stay awake long enough at night to finish it!
Debbie
Feb 20, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book I've read by Eccles. They are all good romantic suspense set in the past. In this one the world of art in London and Vienna and frustrated unrequited love.
Judith Martin
Jun 30, 2010 Judith Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richly detailed, mystery upon mystery
Dwheeler11
Dwheeler11 rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Cori North
Cori North rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Doreen
Doreen rated it liked it
May 20, 2010
Hkmccain
Hkmccain rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Carol Best
Carol Best rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Kristal
Kristal rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2010
Sheila Kimball
Sheila Kimball rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Debi Levins
Debi Levins rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Aka Judith Bordill, Jennifer Hyde

Marjorie Eccles has written several romantic and crime novels, which have been published both in the UK and in the US. Many of her book shave been translated and serialised around the world. She has one grown up son and now lives in Hertfordshire
More about Marjorie Eccles...