Last Nocturne: A Mystery

Last Nocturne: A Mystery

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  23 reviews
What could make a successful, happily married man take a gun and shoot himself? What made a young artist on the brink of fame throw himself to his death?

These are the questions facing Chief Inspector Lamb and his assistant, Detective Sergeant Cogan. Neither victim left a note behind to explain what drove him to take his own life, and it appears that nothing untoward had oc...more
Published February 16th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published March 1st 2008)

Karen
I always think of these books as Jane Austen meets Crime Fiction. Which is probably somewhere between extremely unfair and absolutely acceptable depending on your own particular point of view. LAST NOCTURNE is from author Marjorie Eccles - who is best known in these parts for the Gil Mayo series, which was made into a short TV series that became quite a favourite.

Whilst Grace Thurley's decision to break off her engagement to a rather pompous local man secretly pleases her mother, moving to Lond...more
Nancy Quatrano
This book, released in 2008 by the Minotaur imprint of St. Martin's book, might be an older mystery, but thankfully it was given to me by a friend when she cleaned house and I'm very glad I got to read this. With a prologue that made me think of Mary Higgins Clark, and the carefully built patches (reminiscent of Lee Child's method)that eventually are tied together with a common thread to make a fascinating quilt, this was not a carefree read, but one that reintroduced me to the wonder of taking...more
LJ
LAST NOCTURNE (Police Proc- CI Lamb, England/Vienna, Edwardian) – G+
Eccles, Marjorie – standalone
Allison & Busby, Ltd., UK Hardcover, 2008 – ISBN: 9780749080792

First Sentence: The child wakes in panic and sits bolt upright up in bed, clutching the cotton stuff of her nightgown to her chest.

Art gallery owner Eliot Martagon seemed to be content with his life. Theo Benton is an up-and-coming artist, some of whose paintings are displayed in Martagon’s gallery. Each man apparently commits suicide...more
George
Mystery set from 1887 - 1909 with most of the action taking place in the last couple of years. The story moves back and forth between London and Vienna and involves the interaction of several characters. It starts as a couple of stories which blend together as the novel progresses. The mystery involves an event in Vienna and the deaths of two men in London.

It started a bit slow for me and the moving around between different characters and jumping between London and Vienna were off putting to me....more
Taracuda
This was a start-in-the-middle-and-work-your-way-out sort of book, but it never lost me as the story unfolded. There was a nice combination of history and mystery with just enough love thrown in. And melancholy, too.

Parts of the plot were a bit contrived, but the elements were woven together completely enough that I'm not sure if all of the story would have been told without them.

I did expect the police detectives to play more of a role than they did, largely because I liked their characters a...more
Cathy
This is the 2nd book by this author I've read, mostly because I love her descriptive style of writing; but like the other title, I find her a bit long-winded. The jumps between characters, countries,a dn even decades as a mechanism to flesh out backstory and fill in clues is too much for me- I read to relax! Another reviewer described this as Jane Austen meets crime fiction- I think it's a prefect summary. Great historical writing, interesting mystery, just about 3 chapters overwritten.
Terri
Good read. The story is set in the early 1900's in England, with side trips to the past in Vienna. Slowly, but not too, the story evolves. Starting with 2 apparent, unconnected suicides, friends, family and a policeman discover what really happened in Vienna, and how involved the two deaths. The writing was good, and the development of the characters. I'm going to be looking for more from this author.
Rhonda
while i liked it mostly, i can't say i loved it. the story was very intricate, taking place in the past and the present and in two different countries with many, many characters. at times, i felt bogged down. sometimes there seemed to be too many details and it dragged. i'll consider trying another of her books. she has good critical acclaim, so another chance seems appropriate.
Susan
There seems no connection between the unexplained suicide of a respectable art dealer and that of an impecunious artist. As Chief Inspector Lamb threads his way through the high and low points of Edwardian London, he finds all links lead back to a mysterious woman and child who have left Vienna for England after a strange death, shrouded in mystery.
Michele
The mystery itself is interesting but there were too many "main" characters. I enjoy this in a book if each character is well developed and adds an interesting perspective. But in this case it felt like we were switching around too much without significant investment in character development. It led to an overall feeling of disjointedness.
Dee
A good Edwardian mystery. Eccles takes her time, as would the people of that time, in setting out her characters, and the plot. A good twisted plot, with lots of red herrings. Who would have thought that the eminent banker Julian Manning, would have been capable of such cold, dastardly deeds?
Mary Kay
At the turn of the last century, Chief Inspector Lamb has his hands full with the apparent suicides of two successful, happy men. The truth lies in occurences in Vienna several years ago, but several of the key players are muddying the waters.
Jana Denardo
It felt more like a historical contemporary story than a mystery especially with long interludes taking place years before the murders but are the root of it. I liked it well enough but wasn't overwhelmed by it either.
Debbie
This is the third book I've read by Eccles. They are all good romantic suspense set in the past. In this one the world of art in London and Vienna and frustrated unrequited love.
Kerry
Entertaining mystery. Not the best book I've ever read, but a quick and easy read that kept me entertained. Good light reading.
Cyndie
I am almost finished. Pretty good story, if I could just stay awake long enough at night to finish it!
Last Nocturne is a well written book. Exciting mystery that kept the reader going to the very end.
Jenny
This was an interesting mystery. I really liked four of the characters. The others, not as much.
Sanna
A shame. All the ingredients for a really juicy novel, but rendered dry.
Anna
Cindy
Nice 1900-turn-of-century mystery. Easy read.
Pat Malon
Good mystery, enjoy her writing.
Judith Martin
Richly detailed, mystery upon mystery
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
William F Sullivan
William F Sullivan marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Jayne
Jayne marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Mo
Mo marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Aka Judith Bordill, Jennifer Hyde

Marjorie Eccles has written several romantic and crime novels, which have been published both in the UK and in the US. Many of her book shave been translated and serialised around the world. She has one grown up son and now lives in Hertfordshire
More about Marjorie Eccles...
Broken Music The Shape Of Sand After Clare The Cuckoo's Child Shadows & Lies