The Hazards of Hunting a Duke (Desperate Debuntantes, #1)

The Hazards of Hunting a Duke (Desperate Debutantes #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,520 ratings  ·  55 reviews
USA Today bestselling author Julia London, "a gifted and versatile author" (Publishers Weekly), introduces a sexy, wildly romantic and emotionally charged new trilogy in which three aristocratic young ladies, upon discovering they are destitute, resort to desperate means to keep up appearances...and find the husbands of their dreams.

When the young ladies of the Fairchild...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Pocket Books (first published April 6th 2006)

Fani
Deborah Sullivan
This is evidence I can't begin to trust the reviews on this site. This may be one of the most poorly written books I've ever read. The plot, what there is of it, is all over the place. The author has no feel at all (and apparently has done no research) for the period. No understanding of the social structure or norms. None of manners. Just dreadful. Not sure I'll make it through. Although when I pay for a book, I like to feel I've gotten something out of it.
Ange
Seriously, Ms Julia London and I are not exactly getting started on good terms. Second book by her I read, second book that fails to engage me and keep me interested and rooting for the characters all throughout the book.

Ava, the female lead is a sweet character. She's a normal girl of her time and station. She's flirtatious and kind. She's beautiful and cares about her family in every regard. She also is inventive and tries to make the best of the cards life has dealt her.

Jared, however...

*le...more
An Odd1
Handsome rake 1819 English Lord Jared, 30, harassed by his stern father to produce an heir, meets Ava, eldest of the beautiful bright brave Fairchild girls, suddenly at the mercy of a selfish stepfather. The flirting fun start is my favorite part. I basked in descriptions of her loving childhood and aristocratic luxury. Explicit bedroom scenes and a couple unhappy when lust becomes "love" {years of this genre have not quenched my real-life cynicism, but I prefer hope to despair and continue} are...more
Thenia
A story with lots of ups and downs, featuring Ava Fairchild, the oldest of three young ladies who are suddenly left penniless and in danger of being auctioned off in marriage to the highest bidder, and Jared Broderick, Marquis of Middleton and heir to a duke who is pressuring him to get married and do his duty as a future duke.

Ava is an optimist and does her best to ensure that she and her younger sister and cousin don't end up miserable for the rest of their days. She sets her sights on Jared,...more
Heather
I read a lot of historical romance novels and they all basically follow the same formula so I don’t have a problem with the books being predictable. What I have a problem with is book in which the main descriptor I think of is BORING. I knew right away that this was a book that I was not going to enjoy, but I’m compulsive & have to read a book once I start it. There are spots of brilliance – such as the heroine finding servants from a work house (I could have read a whole book about Sally –...more
Michelle Kelly
Just didn't grab me as most historicals do.

Did you notice the title of the book? It's called The Hazards of Hunting a Duke, yet the male protagonist was a Duke's son, a Marquis named, Jared. I thought that was very odd. Why title a book about a Duke when the character wasn't a Duke???

Anyhow moving on...that was not my only issue with The Hazards of Hunting a Duke. There was also a lack of originality missing from the story.

Normally I love a story where th...more
Alexandria Tale
I think I accidentally re-read this book. I'm familiar with this story, and I vaguely remember I didn't really like it, especially the ending.

Both the main characters are quite unlikeable, both are stubborn. Anyway, about the story:

Jared was a marquis-soon-to-be-duke. His father urged him to marry his unofficial fiancee. He didn't want to, and if he really need to marry, he won't marry her. He would find his own bride. And he found Ava.

Ava was the eldest of Fairchild sisters. She was in need of...more
Sara ♥
Okay, so this is the first book in Julia London's Desperate Deputantes trilogy.

This one was about Ava Fairchild and Jared Broderick, the Marquis of Middleton, who is heir to a duchy, but isn't a duke, so I don't know what's up with the title. Julia didn't like, "The Hazards of Hunting a Marquis" or something? *shrugs*

Anyway, so Ava (and her sister Phoebe and Welsh cousin Greer) all become fairly destitute when Ava and Phoebe's mother (and Greer's guardian) dies. Their stepfather goes off to Pari...more
Tonileg
A series of lucky coincidences wins a marriage with a future Duke for Lady Ava Fairchild. Ok, so she is a daughter of an Earl, but lately the step-daughter of a vulgar low on the totem pole well born man so it is always the 'lately' that counts in historical 'ton' good society London. But well, she pulls off the wedding and now the hard part... getting her husband to give up his mistresses and to fall in love with her. I liked how Ava was a mix of charming, sweet and strong. She was a lovable wo...more
Elle
If we could give half stars this would get 3.5. It's better than the last series in terms of building good conflict between the characters and giving a satisfying resolution(view spoiler)...more
liz
Yaaay! Super-cheesy! The main characters actually aren't that interesting. The usual mix of the leading lady who gives her heart away too fast and the man who can't admit to himself what he's really like. Family troubles create urgency. They spend a little bit too much time being unhappy with each other for my liking. And of course, their sexual chemistry takes her breath away.

"Perhaps it is not necessary, but it is my pleasure and my duty. It is dusk, madam. I cannot think of letting you walk a...more
Annii
There are some books that you remember because they were either awful or spectacular, and then there are some books that you forget a week after reading them because they had no effect on you either way. This is one of the latter. This book is forgettable, and rather dull. I also want to know exactly what she means when she says that Jared earned his title (he's a marquess, and heir to a dukedom) by himself. What amazing thing did he do to be granted a marquisite? I think she's probably just mis...more
Celina
I always love a good "love at first sight" moment but this book didn't have it. In fact, there was a year that passed before they got together again.

Middleton is so one-tracked minded that it annoyed me and of course I still end up loving him. Although, I don't have a care for the ending that much. There's not really that big conflict (well, there was but it was just a big fight) or climax in the story that made it more entertaining.

I love Ava's character though. She was a drama queen but I blam...more
Patty
One of the reasons I read romances is that they are predictable. I like learning something about the setting. I especially like romance books with humor, feisty heroines and handsome heroes. But no matter what, when I am reading a romance the book better follow the storyline expected of a romance.

Unfortunately, this all makes it hard for me to review these books. I am not saying that romances are all the same, just that when I am happy with a good romance, it is because it meets the expectations...more
Verodarling Melani
It's my first Julia London book. I think she's a good writer and I like how she manages to render emotions in a very realistic way. But I have to admit the heroine started to annoy me towards the end. At first I quite liked her, but she changed and started behaving like a spoiled brat. Yes, the hero wasn't perfect, in fact he had big "daddy issues", and I understand that the heroine was upset about his confused feelings, but I can't help thinking that her reactions were exaggerated just for crea...more
Anneke
I just could not help reading and reading this novel until the last page. When I first spotted it in a nearby bookstore and read the review story at the back cover, I thought it had to be an intriguing story as a lady of quality working as a seamstress for a Viscount. Never had I found such a topic.
For those who love historical-romance novels, this one is a must !
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
What can I say she has written another great novel!! Hot and Sensual the way I like them those authors that think you can write romance novels without the spice are wrong. They need to learn from London. She makes reading her novels so fluid and smooth pulling you right into the time period, the places and the people. The beautiful way she describes the love scenes, the beautiful Ball Gowns and the Estates and their Gardens is amazing; she makes you feel like you are their. London has NEVER ( so...more
Aline
The first of Julia London's that I read.. Quite entertaining actually, but I have to admit that this one is not very original, kinda reminds me of some of Marriage of Convenience books I read before..

Jared - Ava are two people with their own flaws, but as the story move along I found that they are quite likeable characters.. Nothing really special about them actually but still enjoyable ^0^ Hey what could I say, I'm a sucker for Marriage of Convenience kind of story LOL
Sarai
I liked this story and would have given it more stars if: 1. the ending wouldn't have felt so rush (I promise no spoilers) and 2. If they would've just talked or I don't know actually let someone finish a sentence before cutting them off and talking over them (THIS IS A PET PEEVE of MINE IN REAL LIFE I DO NOT WANT TO READ IT IN A ROMANCE) It's rude people seriously!
This is the first in the series I will continue to read but it will take a little longer now.
Sherri
While I enjoyed the book as a whole, I got a little irritated by the end. The hero seemed to jump from ambivilance to love without any real character development. The book starts nicely by setting up the hero to have some "demons" that the heroine is supposed to discover and vanquish, however that plot line is very poorly developed. I was left wondering what his big issue was. I would reccomend it for a light read, but do not expect anything deep from it.
Bookabulary
This book started okay. I practically went through the first pages because I really thought that the characters were quite impressive. I actually thought that Jared Broderick was quite a hero. And that Ava Fairchild was one spunky heroine. I loved reading the parts when the word marriage hadn't come up in conversation yet because they seemed like two people really into each other.

Read full review on Bookabulary.
Becky
Cute, quick read. I really liked Sally, the harlot turned lady's maid. And I, too, really want to know who Greer's Mr. Percy is.
Sandy
Ava Fairchild, her sister and cousin are in shock after the untimely death of her mother and her stepfather's departure with their money. He promises to marry them off when he returns so Ava decides to take matters into her own hands and set's her sights on the Marquis of Middleton. He has family obligations and needs a wife and heir so they marry and then the fun begins. This is a normal historical romance and #1 in the series.
Barbra
"When the young ladies of the Fairchild family learn that their stepfather has absconded with their late mother's fortune, Ava, the eldest, hunts down a wealthy rake, the Marquis of Middleton who after a whirlwind romance proposes marriage." This is a familiar story, but with a twist about a marrige of convenience, which turns out not to be too convenient. Lovely story with great characters.
Catalina Joseanne
This is the first book I read by Julia London and I didn't like it that much. I did like the plot and some of the characters but I couldn't stand the hero. Jared was a complete jerk throughout the book and I couldn't stand him.
For me, Jared is one of the most unlikeable characters in the book, I even liked his father!
I gave this book two stars because I really liked Ava and her family.
Donna
Another cheesy, sappy love story from Julia. And I should be ashamed that I am reading all these and reading most in a matter of days but I am not, I just am not. There are entertaining and easy to read and the last 2 in this series will be read on the beach this week and I will enjoy every second! :-)
Cécile
Une romance historique tout ce qu'il y a de plus classique mais qui n'a pas le "petit plus" qu'ont celles de Kleypas ou de Julia Quinn.
Un bon moment qui ne me laissera cependant pas un grand souvenir.
Krista D
Jared must marry and produce heirs and chooses a bride that his father doesn't approve of. Ava refuses to settle for a loveless marriage. Good read, but there was a little communication problem at the end.
Danielle
Jun 26, 2008 Danielle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: regency romance readers
Shelves: romance
This was a quick read. And predictable, which is what I like in my romances. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series and I'm pretty sure I know who will be featured in the next two books.
  • The Seduction of an English Scoundrel (Boscastle, #1)
  • The Husband Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #1)
  • The School for Heiresses (School for Heiresses, Anthology 1)
  • Her Only Desire (Spice Trilogy #1)
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • Once a Rake
  • Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides, #3)
  • Her Ladyship's Companion
  • Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1)
  • Sin and Sensibility (Griffin Family, #1)
  • Never Lie to a Lady (Neville Family #1)
  • The Abduction of Julia (Rogues, #1)
  • In the Bed of a Duke (Cameron Sisters, #3)
  • How to Seduce a Duke (Royle Sisters, #1)
Julia London is the New York Times and USA Today best selling author of more than a two dozen romantic fiction novels. She is the author of the popular Secrets of Hadley Green historical romance series, as well as the new Cabot Sisters historical series, including The Trouble with Honor, The Fall of Grace, and The Perils of Prudence. She is also the author of several contemporary romances, includ...more
More about Julia London...
The Book of Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #1) The Dangers of Deceiving a Viscount (Desperate Debutantes, #3) The Devil's Love The Perils of Pursuing a Prince (Desperate Debutantes, #2) The Year of Living Scandalously (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #1)