The Hazards of Hunting a Duke (Desperate Debuntantes, #1)

The Hazards of Hunting a Duke (Desperate Debutantes #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,623 ratings  ·  59 reviews
USA Today bestselling author Julia London, "a gifted and versatile author" (Publishers Weekly), introduces a sexy, wildly romantic and emotionally charged new trilogy in which three aristocratic young ladies, upon discovering they are destitute, resort to desperate means to keep up appearances...and find the husbands of their dreams.

When the young ladies of the Fairchild...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Pocket Books (first published April 6th 2006)

Fani
An Odd1
Handsome rake 1819 English Lord Jared, 30, harassed by his stern father to produce an heir, meets Ava, eldest of the beautiful bright brave Fairchild girls, suddenly at the mercy of a selfish stepfather. The flirting fun start is my favorite part. I basked in descriptions of her loving childhood and aristocratic luxury. Explicit bedroom scenes and a couple unhappy when lust becomes "love" {years of this genre have not quenched my real-life cynicism, but I prefer hope to despair and continue} are...more
Deborah Sullivan
This is evidence I can't begin to trust the reviews on this site. This may be one of the most poorly written books I've ever read. The plot, what there is of it, is all over the place. The author has no feel at all (and apparently has done no research) for the period. No understanding of the social structure or norms. None of manners. Just dreadful. Not sure I'll make it through. Although when I pay for a book, I like to feel I've gotten something out of it.
Ange
Seriously, Ms Julia London and I are not exactly getting started on good terms. Second book by her I read, second book that fails to engage me and keep me interested and rooting for the characters all throughout the book.

Ava, the female lead is a sweet character. She's a normal girl of her time and station. She's flirtatious and kind. She's beautiful and cares about her family in every regard. She also is inventive and tries to make the best of the cards life has dealt her.

Jared, however...

*le...more
Elle
If we could give half stars this would get 3.5. It's better than the last series in terms of building good conflict between the characters and giving a satisfying resolution(view spoiler)...more
Melanie
Second time reading this, and I didn't like it quite as much as the first time around... Maybe it was Jared's complete obtuseness at his wife's feelings, or Ava's reactions (especially at the beginning), but I had a hard time enjoying the relationship between husband and wife. I felt like it actually went from a courtship where they knew nothing of one another (1/3 of the book), to a marriage where Jared didn't want to get to know Ava (1/3 of the book), to a marriage where some kind of feeling i...more
Celina
I always love a good "love at first sight" moment but this book didn't have it. In fact, there was a year that passed before they got together again.

Middleton is so one-tracked minded that it annoyed me and of course I still end up loving him. Although, I don't have a care for the ending that much. There's not really that big conflict (well, there was but it was just a big fight) or climax in the story that made it more entertaining.

I love Ava's character though. She was a drama queen but I blam...more
Verodarling Melani
It's my first Julia London book. I think she's a good writer and I like how she manages to render emotions in a very realistic way. But I have to admit the heroine started to annoy me towards the end. At first I quite liked her, but she changed and started behaving like a spoiled brat. Yes, the hero wasn't perfect, in fact he had big "daddy issues", and I understand that the heroine was upset about his confused feelings, but I can't help thinking that her reactions were exaggerated just for crea...more
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
What can I say she has written another great novel!! Hot and Sensual the way I like them those authors that think you can write romance novels without the spice are wrong. They need to learn from London. She makes reading her novels so fluid and smooth pulling you right into the time period, the places and the people. The beautiful way she describes the love scenes, the beautiful Ball Gowns and the Estates and their Gardens is amazing; she makes you feel like you are their. London has NEVER ( so...more
Aline
The first of Julia London's that I read.. Quite entertaining actually, but I have to admit that this one is not very original, kinda reminds me of some of Marriage of Convenience books I read before..

Jared - Ava are two people with their own flaws, but as the story move along I found that they are quite likeable characters.. Nothing really special about them actually but still enjoyable ^0^ Hey what could I say, I'm a sucker for Marriage of Convenience kind of story LOL
Ruksar
I give less than 3 star very rarely and if i do give them there is something in the story that i did not like rest of the book may be good but some specific part was not at all understandable this book gets 2 stars from me..
So What i didn't like in this book is the Hero. Ok in this book the hero had a good and normal childhood, just his father was a little strict but whose isn't? But still the Hero was portrayed as a lost soul but frankly i couldn't understand its real reason . he had money, pow...more
Sandy
Ava Fairchild, her sister and cousin are in shock after the untimely death of her mother and her stepfather's departure with their money. He promises to marry them off when he returns so Ava decides to take matters into her own hands and set's her sights on the Marquis of Middleton. He has family obligations and needs a wife and heir so they marry and then the fun begins. This is a normal historical romance and #1 in the series.
Barbra
"When the young ladies of the Fairchild family learn that their stepfather has absconded with their late mother's fortune, Ava, the eldest, hunts down a wealthy rake, the Marquis of Middleton who after a whirlwind romance proposes marriage." This is a familiar story, but with a twist about a marrige of convenience, which turns out not to be too convenient. Lovely story with great characters.
Anneke
I just could not help reading and reading this novel until the last page. When I first spotted it in a nearby bookstore and read the review story at the back cover, I thought it had to be an intriguing story as a lady of quality working as a seamstress for a Viscount. Never had I found such a topic.
For those who love historical-romance novels, this one is a must !
Donna
Another cheesy, sappy love story from Julia. And I should be ashamed that I am reading all these and reading most in a matter of days but I am not, I just am not. There are entertaining and easy to read and the last 2 in this series will be read on the beach this week and I will enjoy every second! :-)
Carla_Collette
I really liked this one (3 1/2 stars); something about how the characters were presented was intriguing to me. I stayed up late a couple of nights reading it. A good escape read.
Brittany
Actually, I really enjoyed this book. The characters were fun and engaging. But they were a little stubborn. It was a fun read looking forward to reading more from this author.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
I accidentally reread this, totally forgot i had already read it years back, but its still cute.
Jill
Much better than I was expecting, hopefully the rest of the trilogy is just as good!
Sharon Sherman
I will definately be looking for more books by Julia London. This book was great.
Brittany
Powerfully written, full if raw emotions and realistic interactions! Loved this book!
Jun 02, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes historical romances : )
Excellent read. part of a trilogy, but as usual Julia London does not let me down! : )
Kyoko
Not as witty as i have expected, but overall a cute story nonetheless.
Christine
I will be reading more Julia London!
Nemma Sayed
It was funny and charming
Merry
Rare - quality romance.
Smriti
great book captured my heart
Laurie
lots of angsty denial
  • The Seduction of an English Scoundrel (Boscastle, #1)
  • The Husband Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #1)
  • In the Prince's Bed (Royal Brotherhood, #1)
  • The Duke Next Door (Heiress Brides, #2)
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • How to Seduce a Duke (Royle Sisters, #1)
  • Once a Rake
  • Lord of Seduction (Paradise, #2)
  • Duke of Scandal (Duke Trilogy, #2)
  • Sin and Sensibility (Griffin Family, #1)
  • Her Only Desire (Spice Trilogy #1)
  • Rules of Engagement (Governess Brides, #2)
  • A Perfect Bride (Sterling Trilogy, #1)
  • Talk of the Ton
  • Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1)
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, Anthology 2)
Julia London is the New York Times and USA Today best selling author of more than a two dozen romantic fiction novels. She is the author of the popular Secrets of Hadley Green historical romance series, as well as the new Cabot Sisters historical series, including The Trouble with Honor, The Fall of Grace, and The Perils of Prudence. She is also the author of several contemporary romances, includ...more
More about Julia London...
The Book of Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #1) The Dangers of Deceiving a Viscount (Desperate Debutantes, #3) The Devil's Love The Perils of Pursuing a Prince (Desperate Debutantes, #2) The Year of Living Scandalously (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #1)