Start by marking “Unearthly Asylum (Joy of Spooking, #2)” as Want to Read:
Unearthly Asylum (Joy of Spooking, #2)

Unearthly Asylum (Joy of Spooking #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Joy Wells is fascinated by the strange noises coming from the old Spooking Asylum. She knows all about the famous legends that surround the place, and is certain that she is hearing the guns of long-dead soldiers. But what if something more contemporary—and truly ghastly—is going on?

When Joy’s pet frog, Fizz, gets away, Joy travels through the
Published August 10th 2010 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published July 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Unearthly Asylum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unearthly Asylum

A Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam GidwitzWho Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony SnicketSpy School by Stuart GibbsThe Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline KellyThe Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell
Middle Grade Silhouette Covers
41st out of 100 books — 10 voters
Impulse by Ellen HopkinsIt's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned VizziniAsylum by Madeleine RouxSanctum by Madeleine RouxInsanity by Susan Vaught
Young Adult Psychiatric Hospitals
36th out of 62 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Heckenbach
I have fallen completely in love with this series. Joy Wells is exactly the kind of main character I adore. Quirky, smart, dark and brooding, but not angsty for no reason. She loves her little brother, her whole family, her house in the tiny, misunderstood town of Spooking.

Each book has some mystery, adventure, humor, and a bit of gruesome. The characters are unique and original. The pacing is just right, with great writing (although, in this book the author did overuse a particular sentence st
Jill Murray
Joy 2: funnier, scarier, and harder to put down!

Reading Unearthly Asylum, the second book in Bracegirdle's Joy of Spooking trilogy is a bit like watching The Return of the Jedi, in terms of that surprising jolt you get of "wait, is this actually *cooler* than the first one?" Characters have grown, conflicts are mounting, the central Asylum is a mix of mysterious and terrifying, and good and evil aren't as clear cut as they were the first time around. Oh, and it's funny, too.

Stephanie
This review originally appeared at www.readinasinglesitting.com.

Number 9 Ravenwood Avenue is the perfect residence for a budding paranormal investigator. Located in the midst of Spooking, the faded and decrepit neighbour of swish Darling, it’s every inch the Poeian architectural spectre it seems as though it should be. Indeed, our tongue-in-cheek narrator tells us, it’s the type of place that “gives off a kind of menace usually accompanied by ominous organ music.”

Though the blurb on the cover li
Sherrie
Unearthly Asylum, the second book in the Joy of Spooking series, is even better than the first volume. In this latest paranormal adventure, Joy's beloved pet bullfrog, Fizz, has become trapped in Spooking's mental asylum and must be saved from impending doom. This book had twice the humor and scares of the previous title and left me anxious to read the next book on the series. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy paranormal fiction with a dash of humor.
Rose
A fantastic fun spooky read. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series.
Deniz
None of the descriptions quite convey the essence of these stories, which is sinister, mysterious and fun all at once. They're probably marketed as Middle Grade, but they're just the sort of books I loved back in my MG days and *still* love - where the author doesn't talk down to the young reader, and doesn't sugar coat mystery or history.
Erin
I just found out that there are only 3 books in this series, that makes me sad. I wish it would go on forever, I love these books
Alexandra Lawrence
A charming, spooky series. Joy and Byron Wells are my favorite siblings in children's literature since The Baudelaires.
Allison Armstrong
I completely enjoyed the author's language. It was not really spooky, but fun to read.
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Markel
Markel marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Sa Sa
Sa Sa marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Emily Fogelberg Reinier
Emily Fogelberg Reinier marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Mary Knight
Mary Knight marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Kwek
Kwek marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Hossein
Hossein marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Adeline
Adeline marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Jowea Lake
Jowea Lake marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Branka
Branka added it
Oct 29, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Igraine
Igraine marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Maddie Claire
Maddie Claire marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Ambra
Ambra marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Born in Montreal, P. J. Bracegirdle has done everything from keeping the stage door of a haunted old Scottish theater to pushing laundry carts along dark tunnels under an insane asylum. His last job involved pretending to write thick manuals nobody really read for products few people ever used.

"Becoming an author was my life's work," says PJB, "if, that is, a life's work can consist of staring off
More about P.J. Bracegirdle...

Joy of Spooking (3 books)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Sinister Scenes (Joy of Spooking, #3)
Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1) The Dead Family Díaz Sinister Scenes (Joy of Spooking, #3) The Dead Family Diaz Sinister Scenes (The Joy of Spooking)