Start by marking “Unearthly Asylum (Joy of Spooking, #2)” as Want to Read:
Unearthly Asylum (Joy of Spooking, #2)

Unearthly Asylum (Joy of Spooking #2)

Joy Wells is fascinated by the strange noises coming from the old Spooking Asylum. She knows all about the famous legends that surround the place, and is certain that she is hearing the guns of long-dead soldiers. But what if something more contemporary—and truly ghastly—is going on?

When Joy’s pet frog, Fizz, gets away, Joy travels through the town’s old sewers looking for
Published August 10th 2010 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published July 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Unearthly Asylum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unearthly Asylum

Kat Heckenbach
Sep 02, 2014 Kat Heckenbach rated it it was amazing
I have fallen completely in love with this series. Joy Wells is exactly the kind of main character I adore. Quirky, smart, dark and brooding, but not angsty for no reason. She loves her little brother, her whole family, her house in the tiny, misunderstood town of Spooking.

Each book has some mystery, adventure, humor, and a bit of gruesome. The characters are unique and original. The pacing is just right, with great writing (although, in this book the author did overuse a particular sentence st
Jill Murray
Feb 15, 2010 Jill Murray rated it it was amazing
Joy 2: funnier, scarier, and harder to put down!

Reading Unearthly Asylum, the second book in Bracegirdle's Joy of Spooking trilogy is a bit like watching The Return of the Jedi, in terms of that surprising jolt you get of "wait, is this actually *cooler* than the first one?" Characters have grown, conflicts are mounting, the central Asylum is a mix of mysterious and terrifying, and good and evil aren't as clear cut as they were the first time around. Oh, and it's funny, too.

Bethany Ainsworth
This is the sequel that felt like a chore to get through. It's not the book, it's me. I'm not the type to read kid-lit.

The book felt a little bit slow paced and took maybe the last sixty pages to finally get to the climax. I get that you need to build up to it.

Maybe it's me and I shouldn't be reading kid-lit.

I can't tell if I like the book or not. After I finished reading it, I just felt 'eh' no 'that was awesome' thoughts. No rushing to read the last and finale book.

I blame Zac Efron for singin
Sherrie
Dec 01, 2014 Sherrie rated it really liked it
Unearthly Asylum, the second book in the Joy of Spooking series, is even better than the first volume. In this latest paranormal adventure, Joy's beloved pet bullfrog, Fizz, has become trapped in Spooking's mental asylum and must be saved from impending doom. This book had twice the humor and scares of the previous title and left me anxious to read the next book on the series. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy paranormal fiction with a dash of humor.
Deniz
Oct 04, 2011 Deniz rated it really liked it
None of the descriptions quite convey the essence of these stories, which is sinister, mysterious and fun all at once. They're probably marketed as Middle Grade, but they're just the sort of books I loved back in my MG days and *still* love - where the author doesn't talk down to the young reader, and doesn't sugar coat mystery or history.
Rose
Feb 12, 2014 Rose rated it really liked it
A fantastic fun spooky read. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series.
Erin
Oct 20, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, childrens, 2011
I just found out that there are only 3 books in this series, that makes me sad. I wish it would go on forever, I love these books
Alexandra Lawrence
Aug 26, 2010 Alexandra Lawrence rated it really liked it
A charming, spooky series. Joy and Byron Wells are my favorite siblings in children's literature since The Baudelaires.
James
May 06, 2015 James rated it really liked it
loved it like the first one!! just great storytelling for any age...
Allison Armstrong
Nov 30, 2013 Allison Armstrong rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
I completely enjoyed the author's language. It was not really spooky, but fun to read.
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Andréa
Andréa rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
Pat
Pat rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2012
Liz Yardley
Liz Yardley rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2011
Charity Beasley
Charity Beasley rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Lulu Garcia
Lulu Garcia rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2017
Lenore Appelhans
Lenore Appelhans rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2010
Hari
Hari rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2013
Star
Star rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Patrick Reinhart
Patrick Reinhart rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Corina
Corina rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2013
Thia
Thia rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2011
Corina Angela
Corina Angela rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2013
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2013
Carrie Barbee
Carrie Barbee rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2017
sonner10
sonner10 rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Hilary Wagner
Hilary Wagner rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2010
Meredith Fickes
Meredith Fickes rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2011
Myan
Myan rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Black Heart Crypt (Haunted Mystery #4)
  • Agent Q, or The Smell of Danger! (Pals in Peril #4)
  • Aftershock
  • Griff Carver, Hallway Patrol
  • The Project
  • The Vanishing Violin (The Red Blazer Girls, #2)
  • The Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers, #3: Mad House
  • Edison’s Gold
  • The Woven Path (Tales from the Wyrd Museum, #1)
  • Consumed (Rayne, #2)
  • Operation Typhoon Shore (The Guild of Specialists, #2)
  • Poor Little Witch Girl
  • The Danger Box
  • Kill Switch
  • Dillweed's Revenge: A Deadly Dose of Magic
  • Masters of Disaster
  • The Notorious Pagan Jones (Pagan Jones, #1)
  • Serial Sabotage (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective, #43; Sabotage Mystery Trilogy, #2)
Born in Montreal, P. J. Bracegirdle has done everything from keeping the stage door of a haunted old Scottish theater to pushing laundry carts along dark tunnels under an insane asylum. His last job involved pretending to write thick manuals nobody really read for products few people ever used.

"Becoming an author was my life's work," says PJB, "if, that is, a life's work can consist of staring off
More about P.J. Bracegirdle...

Joy of Spooking (3 books)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Sinister Scenes (Joy of Spooking, #3)