Start by marking “Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)” as Want to Read:
Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)

Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan #7)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  818 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
A massive tsunami triggered by a terrifying weapon in the hands of a madman ...

Scimitar SL-2

He calls himself Ravi Rashood, a former SAS officer who currently masterminds one of the world's most virulent terrorist organizations. An elusive madman dedicated to the annihilation of the West, he now possesses the means to accomplish his nightmarish goal: a nuclear-tipped cruise
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published August 3rd 2004 by HarperAudio (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Scimitar SL-2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scimitar SL-2

Henri Moreaux
As a whole this book is good, it's a solid addition to the Admiral Morgan series. It's got a nice mix of politics, action and intelligence work. There's less undersea action than some of his other books but the story nonetheless does revolve around an Iranian purchased Soviet submarine.

The Iranians, or, "fucking towelheads" as they are referenced in the book, plan an attack which would destroy large parts of the eastern coast of the United States - it's nice to not have the same targets rehashe
Andrew Rimmer
Jun 10, 2012 Andrew Rimmer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is poor. I have read quite a few other Patrick Robinson books and have enjoyed them - but not this one.

The characters are paper thin stereotypes. Even the leading characters are one dimensional and predictable - there is zero character development. The authenticity was completely lost due to characters acting in unrealistic ways just to fit in with the story. I found myself not caring what happens, because I simply couldn't believe in the characters that made up the story.

This along wi
John Giroux
This book sucked. The characters were cartoonish, the style was pathetic (I dare someone to count how many sentences in this book begin with the word "And"). Full of stereotypes... I accidentally read one other book by Robinson, but after reading this one, there are more than enough other authors around that I enjoy, as well as those that I've yet to discover, that I see no need to ever waste my time reading another one of his books. If there was a "zero stars", I'd give it that.
P.
I've read most of Patrick Robinson's books. The "ship" series (Nimitz Class, Kilo Class, HMS Unseen, etc.) were great. Detailed, fascinating to read, good characters and plots. The last 2, Barracuda 945 and this one, Scimitar SL-2 seem to be losing their way somewhat. They tend to be overly detailed in elements marginal to the plots, such as the exquisite detail of activities in Boston, New York and other which aren't that critical to what is going on. The characters are not as fully developed a ...more
Pete
Jan 07, 2016 Pete rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
Probably the worst entry in the Admiral Morgan series. The plot is ludicrous to the extreme. Aside from an excellent quote from Winston Churchill regarding political suicide there is nothing here worth reading.
Navin Raj
Jun 24, 2013 Navin Raj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just one line from the book sums it up for me "How are we going to find those fucking underwater towelheads?"
Andy Reiman
Jan 25, 2014 Andy Reiman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Farcical to the extreme, even for the military submarine thriller genre.
Neil
Seventh book in the series, it involves the hunt for the second Hamas -controlled Barracuda submarine by the US Navy. It was a good book; a decent flow; and, despite knowing the US would 'triumph' in the end (view spoiler), the last chapter or so was still suspenseful for me. Obviously not as much as the first time around, but it was still well-written. This book focuses on the dangers of mega-tsunamis being caused by forcing a massiv ...more
Rich
Aug 03, 2012 Rich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By the time I was finished, I was very pleased. It took about a hundred pages of coincidence-driven set-up and some cartoon-ish characterization, especially that of the author's vicarious stand-in Adm. Arnold Morgan, but at this point (#7 in the series) it is to be expected, and is actually a little endearing. Once past that, however, Robinson's writing switches gears and becomes terrifically readable. He sprinkles enough background information and research to keep the scenario plausible, and hi ...more
Lis
Dec 31, 2015 Lis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Bella l'idea del vulcano e dello tsunami, per il resto niente di nuovo sotto al sole. E' un libro di Patrick Robinson in tutto e per tutto, quindi aspettatevi quanto già letto: l'ammiraglio Morgan, arabi vari, buoni contro cattivi e l'inevitabile lieto fine.
Tre stelle e mezza
David
Mar 22, 2016 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Last read - 2005-05-06
I know that I have read this several times
1st Kindle read - 2016-03-18-2016-03-19

So, on top of bashing all Democratic administrations, we add in a coup. How did I rate these books so highly years ago? In part, it probably seemed so comical. But with rhetoric around now - not so much. And he gets so many basic military things wrong. A Harpoon missile is not a surface to air air defense weapon. Nor is an AH-1 helicopter a transport aircraft. Geez. And he has an admiral helpin
Craig Freshwater
I loved it!
Jim
Jun 06, 2009 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished listening to an exciting and dramatic book by Patrick Robinson entitled Scimitar SL2. Combine a rogue nuclear submarine, nuclear missles and a plan to distroy the world by massive tidal waves and you have a really interesting story! Throw in some politics and alot of military hardware and this is a can't-stop-listening-too novel.

I listened to the abridged version of about 6 hours. Very well read and solid abridgement. Needless to say, I recommend this one!
Cynthia
May 31, 2015 Cynthia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
His plots are becoming ridiculous. However, I intend to finish the series.
Micki Whitesides
Excellent, excellent book. The world is under siege once again by Hamas terrorists and the US must step up to the plate and take care of the threat. They threaten to blow up world volcanoes and cause a massive tsunami that will wipe out the East coast of the United States.

I was gripping my seat in the last chapters and build up to the final battles. A must read if you like this genre of books. The whole series is well worth your time.
Mark Polino
May 08, 2011 Mark Polino rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
There are some good sized errors in here and I expect more from Robinson. An F15 is an Eagle, not a Tomcat and without giving anything away, why not simply introduce an error into the GPS system allow the missile to fall into the sea at the wrong place?. The military did that randomly for years for civilian GPS units to prevent GPS from being used by terrorists. Having said that, Admiral Morgan is still a fun character to follow.
Justin
Jul 28, 2013 Justin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As it was pointed out to me by another reviewer, if Ravi Rashood is half Iranian, his meeting with Iran would not have been conducted in Arabic but Farsi. Two very different languages; in fact, some Iranians would be insulted if you lump the two people groups together. Iranians have long have the sense of racial superiority and purity and civilization compared to the Arabs. Other Iranians might be amused and let it slide.
Mike
Oct 17, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is another strong entry in this series. (NB I finally tracked down and read the book on the Falklands war that he helped Sandy Woodward write - good.)

Using many of the repeating characters of this series, he gives us yet another tale of fanaticism and fantasy. I suspect that the actual probability of many of these scenarios is much less, but it does make for decent drama.
Andrea
Jun 25, 2010 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tom Clancy fans
Admiral Morgan, leaves the white House as the administration changes, but the newly elected Democratic candidate will not address the terrorist threats issued by Hamas, and its SAS trained leader Ravi Rashood.

Would have rated this higher but the author often races through details that don't always make sense. Be prepared to suspend Disbelief with Patrick Robinson.
Amanda
Dec 23, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining read for political/military novel. Attention to detail superb for American military battle scenes. Thought-provoking look at potential behind-the-scenes of presidency/advisors relationships.
Jane
This isn't a novel; it's a polemic against Democrats (with the prominent exception of the Kennedys). The volcanic explosions, which were the only reason I picked up this tome, aren't worth turning the pages of this GOP weapon of mass distraction.
Clyde
Mar 08, 2015 Clyde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very exciting story. A little disappointed that we wrap it up so simply like we ran out of time and needed to get to the end. Otherwise a very good story.
Nancy
Mar 31, 2008 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
absolute trash of the best kind! A leftover book in the bookshelves of a ramshackle old research station in French Polynesia, and always good for a laugh...
Darryn
Dec 20, 2012 Darryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huh, I for got that I had read this before. Yeah it was okay, slightly predictable, but I nice distractive read.
Darren Burton
It was okay, but the ending was spoiled by a giant hole in the plot that was never dealt with.
Warren Browne
good adventure - I plan to read more from Patrick Robinson
Bill Donhiser
A well written tight thriller good characters great plot
Enrique
Not as good as his earlier works.
Willy
Mar 18, 2016 Willy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Started - 9/29/08.
colleen
read 05.20.05
  • Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan, #12)
  • Sea Fighter (Amanda Garrett, #3)
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...

Admiral Arnold Morgan (10 books)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
  • Ghost Force (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #9)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)