Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)

Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan #7)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  581 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A massive tsunami triggered by a terrifying weapon in the hands of a madman ...

Scimitar SL-2

He calls himself Ravi Rashood, a former SAS officer who currently masterminds one of the world's most virulent terrorist organizations. An elusive madman dedicated to the annihilation of the West, he now possesses the means to accomplish his nightmarish goal: a nuclear-tipped cruise...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published August 3rd 2004 by HarperAudio (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Scimitar SL-2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scimitar SL-2

Henri Moreaux
As a whole this book is good, it's a solid addition to the Admiral Morgan series. It's got a nice mix of politics, action and intelligence work. There's less undersea action than some of his other books but the story nonetheless does revolve around an Iranian purchased Soviet submarine.

The Iranians, or, "fucking towelheads" as they are referenced in the book, plan an attack which would destroy large parts of the eastern coast of the United States - it's nice to not have the same targets rehashe...more
Navin Raj
Just one line from the book sums it up for me "How are we going to find those fucking underwater towelheads?"
Neil
Seventh book in the series, it involves the hunt for the second Hamas -controlled Barracuda submarine by the US Navy. It was a good book; a decent flow; and, despite knowing the US would 'triumph' in the end (view spoiler), the last chapter or so was still suspenseful for me. Obviously not as much as the first time around, but it was still well-written. This book focuses on the dangers of mega-tsunamis being caused by forcing a massiv...more
Rich
By the time I was finished, I was very pleased. It took about a hundred pages of coincidence-driven set-up and some cartoon-ish characterization, especially that of the author's vicarious stand-in Adm. Arnold Morgan, but at this point (#7 in the series) it is to be expected, and is actually a little endearing. Once past that, however, Robinson's writing switches gears and becomes terrifically readable. He sprinkles enough background information and research to keep the scenario plausible, and hi...more
Andrew Rimmer
This book is poor. I have read quite a few other Patrick Robinson books and have enjoyed them - but not this one.

The characters are paper thin stereotypes. Even the leading characters are one dimensional and predictable - there is zero character development. The authenticity was completely lost due to characters acting in unrealistic ways just to fit in with the story. I found myself not caring what happens, because I simply couldn't believe in the characters that made up the story.

This along wi...more
Jim
Just finished listening to an exciting and dramatic book by Patrick Robinson entitled Scimitar SL2. Combine a rogue nuclear submarine, nuclear missles and a plan to distroy the world by massive tidal waves and you have a really interesting story! Throw in some politics and alot of military hardware and this is a can't-stop-listening-too novel.

I listened to the abridged version of about 6 hours. Very well read and solid abridgement. Needless to say, I recommend this one!
John Giroux
This book sucked. The characters were cartoonish, the style was pathetic (I dare someone to count how many sentences in this book begin with the word "And"). Full of stereotypes... I accidentally read one other book by Robinson, but after reading this one, there are more than enough other authors around that I enjoy, as well as those that I've yet to discover, that I see no need to ever waste my time reading another one of his books. If there was a "zero stars", I'd give it that.
Micki Whitesides
Excellent, excellent book. The world is under siege once again by Hamas terrorists and the US must step up to the plate and take care of the threat. They threaten to blow up world volcanoes and cause a massive tsunami that will wipe out the East coast of the United States.

I was gripping my seat in the last chapters and build up to the final battles. A must read if you like this genre of books. The whole series is well worth your time.
Andy Reiman
Farcical to the extreme, even for the military submarine thriller genre.
Mark Polino
There are some good sized errors in here and I expect more from Robinson. An F15 is an Eagle, not a Tomcat and without giving anything away, why not simply introduce an error into the GPS system allow the missile to fall into the sea at the wrong place?. The military did that randomly for years for civilian GPS units to prevent GPS from being used by terrorists. Having said that, Admiral Morgan is still a fun character to follow.
Justin
As it was pointed out to me by another reviewer, if Ravi Rashood is half Iranian, his meeting with Iran would not have been conducted in Arabic but Farsi. Two very different languages; in fact, some Iranians would be insulted if you lump the two people groups together. Iranians have long have the sense of racial superiority and purity and civilization compared to the Arabs. Other Iranians might be amused and let it slide.
Mike
Oct 17, 2009 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is another strong entry in this series. (NB I finally tracked down and read the book on the Falklands war that he helped Sandy Woodward write - good.)

Using many of the repeating characters of this series, he gives us yet another tale of fanaticism and fantasy. I suspect that the actual probability of many of these scenarios is much less, but it does make for decent drama.
Andrea
Jun 25, 2010 Andrea rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tom Clancy fans
Admiral Morgan, leaves the white House as the administration changes, but the newly elected Democratic candidate will not address the terrorist threats issued by Hamas, and its SAS trained leader Ravi Rashood.

Would have rated this higher but the author often races through details that don't always make sense. Be prepared to suspend Disbelief with Patrick Robinson.
Amanda
Entertaining read for political/military novel. Attention to detail superb for American military battle scenes. Thought-provoking look at potential behind-the-scenes of presidency/advisors relationships.
Jane
This isn't a novel; it's a polemic against Democrats (with the prominent exception of the Kennedys). The volcanic explosions, which were the only reason I picked up this tome, aren't worth turning the pages of this GOP weapon of mass distraction.
Nancy
absolute trash of the best kind! A leftover book in the bookshelves of a ramshackle old research station in French Polynesia, and always good for a laugh...
Darryn
Huh, I for got that I had read this before. Yeah it was okay, slightly predictable, but I nice distractive read.
Darren Burton
It was okay, but the ending was spoiled by a giant hole in the plot that was never dealt with.
Warren Browne
good adventure - I plan to read more from Patrick Robinson
Bill Donhiser
A well written tight thriller good characters great plot
Enrique
Not as good as his earlier works.
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
  • Day of Wrath
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • Biowar (Deep Black, #2)
  • Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...
Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1) H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3) Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2) U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4) Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)