In Freedom's Cause

In Freedom's Cause

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  626 ratings  ·  37 reviews
G. A. Henty was a 19th century novelist, special correspondent and Imperialist. His best-known works are historical adventures. While most of the 122 books he wrote were for children, he also wrote adult novels, non-fiction such as The March to Magdala (1868) and Those Other Animals (1891), short stories for the likes of The Boy's Own Paper and edited the Union Jack, a wee...more
Published February 17th 2009 by Book Jungle (first published 1884)

K.
for heroes group 2011

Despite the many, many battles and lots of very historic description which I usually don't love, I really liked this book. The fictional main character was a good one, but the REAL characters of William Wallace and Robert Bruce were what really caught my attention. Wow!

I've never seen "Braveheart" so I didn't have any preconceived notions about the men themselves or even that period in history. Henty says in the preface that most literature through the ages about these tw...more
Abigail Rasmussen
I read this book when I was 15 years old. Henty books are rather on the "boyish book" side but many girls I know (including myself) enjoy them as well.

You can find many G. A. Henty books on LibriVox: https://catalog.librivox.org/search.p...

A friend of ours, Jim Hodges, has recorded many G. A. Henty books and we own them all and my brothers have listened to everyone of them. http://jimhodgesaudiobooks.com/
When I meet people who are Henty fans, I usually ask them which is their favorite book. This book, 'In Freedom's Cause', is the one which I have heard the most (A record 4 times!!) So after hearing again a few Sundays ago that this was the 'best' Henty, I decided to read it.

Is it the best Henty? Obviously that question must be decided by the reader, but I would say it loses first place in my mind by a hair. I prefer the Henties which don't have quite as much focus on war (I know, why read Henty...more
Kari
I read this to my brother and it was always fun. I still haven't looked up all the places on a map, but we recognized the names as where our ancestors come from.
CC
Thus far this has been my favorite Henty book. Henty does a marvelous job of integrating history with an entertaining and pleasurable story.
Kendra Ardnek
G. A. Henty is, in my opinion, one of the best historical fiction authors out there. "In Freedom's Cause" is a prime example, and one of my favorites of his that I have read so far. As soon as I finish reading the book I'm currently reading to the cousins I babysit each week, I plan to read this one.

The main character of this particular story is Archibald Forbes. Like all of Henty's main characters (at least in the books I have read so far), he is skilled with weapons, and interacts with and ga...more
Annie
This was historical fiction that was pretty light on the history. The title is extremely misleading; the author leads you to believe that this is a tale about William Wallace and Robert Bruce's attempts to free Scotland from the rule of the oppressive English. It's not. It's actually a story about the many wonderful deeds of the most obnoxious and uninteresting fictional protagonist ever written, Archie Forbes. Seriously. Every character of note at point owed their life to Forbes. At sixteen he...more
Jonathan Taylor
Although the title suggests the book is focussed on the exploits of Wallace and Bruce, it's primarily a tale of the ficticious character Archibald Forbes, a Scots patriot who fights along side Wallace and Bruce during the key moments in their history. Although plausible, 'Archie' tends to overshadow the exploits of Wallace and Bruce by the influence he has on their decision making. It becomes a little far fetched at times, suggesting Archie almost steers the course of history through his meeting...more
Scott Anderson
The book follows Archie Forbes, a fictional character who lives in Scotland at the time of William Wallace. Archie enlists in Wallace' service and participates in his campaigns and adventures until Wallace is captured by the British. Archie continues to fight against England, and joins with Robert Bruce until he is eventually successful in freeing Scotland.

As with most GA Henty novels, the main character is highly successful in all his adventures and gets the girl in the end. While it doesn't d...more
Bill Peacock
I love all the Henty books, as does my son. This is about the 20th of Henty's great historical fiction books we have read together. Like the rest of them, this one helped us learn about history and the difference between right and wrong, while telling a fun tale about a young man who is mature beyond his years. The new thing for me in this one is the harsh, even barbaric treatment the Scots received at the hands of the English, who used religion as an excuse to persecute a people who worshiped G...more
Rose Dixon
I read this book because I watched Braveheart and became further interested in Sir William Wallace. I really enjoyed this read because it was pretty much as accurate as you can get about Wallace, considering there isn't much factual information out there about him. I wish the main character was Wallace instead of Archie Forbes so I could follow him on his journey and get more information. Henty used setting to its full potential, but he tends to go on and on for pages describing the places and t...more
Tracy
This was originally written in 1885 by a very famous children's novelist of the time period. The kids back then probably loved it. I can picture an old man sitting by a fire telling this yarn to wide-eyed grandchildren. I learned quite a bit about the battle for Scotland's freedom (which took for-ev-er). It just went on way too long for me and I lost interest. (Ha, that's probably what the English said when the Scots kept attacking their border for 26 years.) I was hoping that Ryan might enjoy t...more
Hannah
Just finished reading this allowed to my little brother (having previously read it multiple times to myself).

I enjoyed as much as ever (or more), understood more than ever, and saw more flaws than before. Great historical read though. As always, one must take Henty's opinion as his opinion which is sometimes false, though usually well founded.
Brooklynne
G.A.Henty was an outstanding author and I highly recomend his books to everyone but especially boys, men and mothers pf boys. I can guarantee your son will get swept up in the history that Henty so richly writes about. I have been reading and re-reading his books for years.
Rachel
I read it for school so I basically HAD to read it. But for me it was honestly got boring at some points in the book, maybe it's because I'm a girl or something... but a lot of kids in my class said they didn't enjoy reading it, including the boys. So yeah...
Ailish
Braveheart! I've just started this one. The history is interesting, but the telling is dated and grates a bit. The story seems to have been written to make history inspiring and palatable in a 'Boys Own' fashion (the Preface is addressed to 'My dear lads').
Brittany
So far, this is the best Henty book I have read. It is a fascinating & inspiring story of the courage of Scotland's champion, Sir William Wallace, and of her king Robert Bruce. This deserves more than 5 stars, I was absolutely captivated!
Ryan
a little dry to start, but could get better once it gets into the actual story of William Wallace, just background info now.

A GREAT book with good history on Wallace, Robert Bruce and Archie Forbes.
Darren Anderson
My favourite of all the Henty books I've read. This is probably my favourite time period in history due in part to this book. Henty should really be mandatory reading for boys in school.
Gwen Burrow
I was excited when my dad started reading this aloud (before I was allowed to watch Braveheart), but quickly discovered that Henty doesn't know when to stop yakking.
Emma
I loved how history and battles was mixed with stories of Archie Forbes, Wallace and Bruce. I felt like I really got to know them, rather than just knowing what they did.
Aja
I don't really like the author's writing style, but I did like the plot and history behind te plot. Henty's books are good to collect if you want to know a lot about history.
Gordon Paisley
started 9/1/2012? reading with boys.
Good historical fiction about the war for Scottish independence. Reads easily, lots of action. Readable by middle-schoolers and above.
Michelle
G.A. Henty is a great writer and everyone who enjoys historical fiction and lot's of adventure should read this and all of his books!
Angelyn
I love the history of GA Henty. This one is a little harder to understand but a story close to my heart. My Grandmother was a Wallace.
dragonnesswarrior
Can't tell you much cause me and my dad haven't finished reading it yet, but I can tell you that so far, it is a great book.
Rebecca
This is simply a fun fiction read. Knights act with chivalry and ladies are treated like princesses.
Matthew
The true story about William Wallace and the truth you were never given in the movie
Romaskruse
GREAT historical fiction...If only I had all 75 books in this series :(
Meg
Aug 27, 2008 Meg rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Scottish History lovers, history lovers in general
My other favorite Henty! Wallace and Bruce and Scotland!
need help 1 4 Oct 06, 2013 05:07PM
  • Duncan's War (Crown and Covenant, #1)
  • Pearl-Maiden
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)
  • The Scottish Chiefs
  • Men of Iron
  • Alone Yet Not Alone
  • Sword Song
  • A Father's Promise
  • The Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Hittite Warrior
  • Corrie Ten Boom: Keeper of the Angels' Den (Chrisitan Heroes: Then & Now)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
George Alfred Henty began his storytelling career with his own children. After dinner, he would spend and hour or two in telling them a story that would continue the next day. Some stories took weeks! A friend was present one day and watched the spell-bound reaction of his children suggesting Henty write down his stories so others could enjoy them. He did. Henty wrote approximately 144 books in ad...more
More about G.A. Henty...
The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt Beric the Briton Young Carthaginian For the Temple Wulf the Saxon: A Story of the Norman Conquest