Start by marking “A Russian Diary: A Journalist's Final Account of Life, Corruption, and Death in Putin's Russia” as Want to Read:

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Anna Politkovskaya, one of Russia’s most fearless journalists, was gunned down in a contract killing in Moscow in the fall of 2006. Just before her death, Politkovskaya completed this searing, intimate record of life in Russia from the parliamentary elections of December 2003 to the grim summer of 2005, when the nation was still reeling from the horrors of the Beslan schoo ...more
Published April 23rd 2009 by Random House (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Russian Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Russian Diary

Mark
Mar 31, 2008 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: Dutch friend
I feel like I have a much better understanding of what is happening in modern day Russian politics having read this book. Putin is calling the shots and stifling both political opposition and a free press. Generally speaking, the Russian people are relatively apathetic for two reasons: fear of the current regime combined with the fact that many of them are economically better off than they were in earlier times.

The irony: Putin seems to be building a fairly right leaning, facist state while the
Declan
I expect little has changed since Anna Politkovskaya wrote about the extent of the corruption, and the bullying, that was, when she wrote for the newspaper Novaya gazeta, an everyday feature of Putin's Russia. Exposing the use, and more often the abuse, of power was the very reason for being a reporter as far as Politkovskaya was concerned. She was brave to an extent that is almost difficult to comprehend because she must have known that her life was at risk and yet - a terrible question this - ...more
Ren
Fantastic book. Very very sad. I don't really have the words to capture the emotions contained within this book. If you think the US sucks, check this out. I mean, I know it's useless to compare apples to oranges, but it certainly helps to put things in perspective.
Diane
This book is indeed Anna Politkovskaya's diary; a depressing story of life in Russia during the Putin years. Politkovskaya was a journalist prior to her assassination (which occurred shortly after this book was published). She details the break down of democracy in Russia, with close attention to the role of both state-sponsored and terrorist violence. She includes much detail not available elsewhere about life in Russia in the early 21st century.
Geoff
Feb 07, 2014 Geoff marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
My response to Putin's Olympics was to order three books by Anna Politkovskaya.
Lindsey
While reading this book, you already know that Anna was gunned-down in her apartment building. An assassination most in the anti-Putin camp will point in his direction. This book was finished before, although maybe not completely, her death. Because of that prior knowledge, this book feels like you're reading her death warrant. The closer you creep to the end of the book, the more you want to go back in time and warn Anna to leave!

Stop!

Get out!

...But she knew the whole time. She wasn't caught
Linda
In trying to describe this book and the work of Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya, the first thing that came to my mind was the words of poet Dylan Thomas. Watching Russia’s barely-worthy-of-the-term democracy steadily crumble, Politkovskaya stubbornly refused to let it go gentle into that good night. A Russian Diary is a rage against the dying of the light. It is a brilliant and sobering piece of work that should be required reading for anyone with an interest in current world politics, and ...more
Ava Anderson
Oct 07, 2008 Ava Anderson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a global conscience
This book is horrifying and deeply tragic. It is also a lucid, intelligent account of the unravelling of the future of Russia. A must-read, and it is even more relevant now that we are a few years further into Putin's takeover.
Kim M-M
It is her diary that spanned the time period December 2003 to summer 2005. She barely speaks about herself, only about the policies and its effects, the people crushed under a heartless regime. One by one she speaks about the disappearing freedoms and a return to the political tactics of the USSR.

Unbelieveable, the extreme that the russian people live under. It is not a democracy, it is a farce. The sad part is, it is the grim truth.
It also covers the period of time during the Beslan school mass
Sydney
Nov 05, 2007 Sydney rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Political Science Nerds
The Russian Diaries chronicles the declining political situation in Russia. After Politkovskaya’s violent death in October 2006, her editor published her personal journal documenting Russian political developments; presumably these notes were reference points for her various articles and projects.

Politkovskaya assesses the Putin regime and how it survives, detailing its political ploys and strategies. She analyzes the Russian political environment that gave rise to the Putin and his power base.
Matt
Politkovskaya joins the unfortunate but distinguished company of Malcolm X as being the second author (that I've read) who was killed in the process of writing a book, the content of which sheds much light on who might have killed her and why. (She was killed on Putin's birthday.) Russian Diary is Politkovskaya's reflections of two years in Russia's political life including the parliamentary elections in 2003, Putin's re-election campaign, the aftermath of the Beslan school massacre, the ongoing ...more
Petra
You can tell that the book is written by a journalist, and what a journalist she was! Reading this book I can only conclude that unlike many other journalists she understood and valued the importance of really good journalism. In a state where power is being used against the own population she dared to question and criticize an elite that most people don't dare to stand up againt. This is the moost needed and important kind of journalism for sure. All I wonder is "how did she dare?"
Karen
Amazing. She did not pull any punches, she was so brave. This is an eye-opening account of Putin's Russia, of the heinous crimes committed under his rule, the horrors inflicted upon the Russian people themselves and, the pervasiveness of corruption & fear that keeps Putin in power.
I am keen to try to read Anna's other books on Russia, though I imagine they will also be hard going. You seriously can't believe what people have turned a blind eye to, until you read this yourself.
Susa
Hengästyttävä kuvaus siitä, mitä Venäjällä tapahtuu. Uskomatonta, että meininki ei tunnu muuttuneen Neuvostoliiton ajoista mihinään - päinvastoin. Sai kiinnostuksen itänaapuria kohtaan kasvamaan. Haluaisin nyt hirveästi ottaa selvää siitä, mitä on tapahtunut Putinin toisen presidenttikauden alettua. Onko mikään muuttunut mihinkään?
Alla
Ah the great Anna Politkovskaya, a paragon of journalist's integrity... Puts to shame her so-called colleagues on both sides of the ocean - both in America for reporting on irrelevant crap like home tanning and calling it news, and in Russia for selling their souls to the devil VVP. Funny that this book is still not sold in Russia..
Cornelia Ghetu
You cherish more your liberty when you remember some don't have it.
Nick
The late Anna Politkovskaya stares out from the photo on the cover the edition I read with a stare that is hard to gauge. In that photo, she has clear eyes, sensible glasses, gray hair combed in a functional way, and a certain tightness to the mouth that makes it look as if it had been a long time since she smiled. There was certainly not much to smile about in the years covered by the book--the steady march of Vladimir Putin and the party he created toward an electoral triumph: despite the bung ...more
Monty
I read this book when it was first published, and I was reminded of this recently with the passing of Mike Wallace. Anna Politkovskaya seemed to be attempting to immitate the investigative style of Wallace in Putin's Russia. The Russian government was not amused. She was murdered in her apartment by a contract killer on Putin's birthday. So much for Glasnost. Politkovskaya's last journal reveals the Russia of 2005-2006 as one of great cynicism and corruption. The old Communists merely took off t ...more
Robert
A Russian Diary by Anna Politkovskaya takes us into the Russia dominated by Vladimir Putin between 2003 through August 2005. Politkovskaya was a distinguished journalist by the time she began keeping this diaries, and she was murdered before the pre-publication editing process was complete.

These are not self-oriented diaries in the least; they more closely resemble a reporter’s notebooks. The dominant theme is how Putin turned Russia into a FSB-state; the FSB, of course, is the successor to the
Irisheyz77
When I read the back of this book I was intrigued. A Russian Diary is a non-fiction work by a journalist who lived, worked and was murdered in Russia. As Russia is not a place that I know too much about I was eager to learn more of its history and politics.

This work was set up in the form of a diary. However, once you start to read it its clear that this is no actual diary. While I wasn't expecting any fluffy words along the lines of 'had tea with Aunt Svetlana today' I was expecting more real t
Niels-jørgen
Politkovskaya describes the myriad of events that one should know about to understand the problems in Russias political life and the military interventions it has carried out. It's an ugly picture - but is it convincing? Not always. The negative tone of the diary updates continue throughout. Everything is bad and getting worse. The lack of distanced jounalistic description, documentation and reasoning gives it a sence of unbalanced rambling. But it is a personal diary, not a collection of news a ...more
Bruscolino
Da molto volevo leggere un libro di Anna Politkovskaja e quando quest'estate m'è capitato fra le mani Diario Russo l'ho letteralmente divorato.
La Politkovskaja unisce straordinaria lucidità a un impegno fuori dal comune, creando pagine appassionanti tanto da sembrare un romanzo a pezzi, quando invece sono mera cronaca (vera, normale, agghiacciante) di un biennio vissuto in una nazione a pezzi, tenuta insieme dal collante della corruzione più diffusa, della povertà indotta e del silenzio forzato
Shea Mastison
This is a relatively fascinating book about the sociopolitical situation in contemporary Russia. There are some eye-opening accounts about the government/crime syndicate connections that exist in Putin's Russia that really hit at the core of Russia's "managed democracy."

However, the observant reader can pick up a lot of shared characteristics between Putin's United Russia and the American two party system. This is really the most fascinating aspect of the book for an occidentally oriented perso
Meg - A Bookish Affair
This book starts out sayings something like Remember that Anna could have left Russia if she wanted. "A Russian Diary" follows the diary of Anna Politkovskaya, a journalist murdered in Russia a few years ago. Some think that it was a political murder as Anna covered some of the bad things that went on in Russia and Chechnya and was highly critical of the Russian government.

One criticism that I have with the book which could not be helped is that you have to know a lot of background of Russian p
Deniss Rutseikov Ojastu
A brutally honest (now) historical account of politics and society in Russia in 2003-2005. This is what Russian TV does not show to its citizen. Anna was a brave woman, the true Journalist and the true Russian patriot. Recommended to everyone who is interested in the recent history of Russia - this collection of reported events, interviews, insights and sharp analysis is truly unique. The only minus I found in this book is Anna's very emotional relation to Putin - the hatred of this man is somet ...more
Michael
Anna Politkovskaya's story echoes those of so many journalists who risked everything to tell the truth. In doing so, she was murdered ... possibly by Putin's decree, or maybe by an enterprising reactionary who simply didn't like her anti-establishment style.

If you don't know much about contemporary Russian politics (like me!), this is an eye-opening account of the present state of affairs, and has only become more relevant to American readers since the Georgian conflict this year.
Jen
This book is amazing. Not that I needed to be more scared of Putin. Everyone who turns a blind eye to what happens in Russia needs to read this and recognize the signs of what is going on there. Politkovskaya was an amazingly courageous woman and this horrifying account needs to be noticed, particularly as the people who most need it, the Russian people, do not have access to it. This book profoundly disturbed me.
Mom
My son passed this book on to me. It is a fascinating and sad look at life in Putin's Russia. I had no idea the things that have gone on since Putin has been in charge. This books contains the journal of one brave journalist who risked her life to stay in Russia and tell the story of what was really going on. Anna Politkovskaya was shot to death in the lobby of her apartment building on Oct. 7, 2006.
Jezebel
A very powerful book, an important read for anyone intersted in social (in)justice, politics, human rights, and the ability of a people to turn a blind eye to what is clearly a dangerous abuse of power. It's not a walk-in-the-park book of fiction - it's the cold reality of life in post-soviet Russia under the rule of Vladimir Putin.
  • Collected Stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez | Summary & Study Guide
  • Chienne de Guerre: A Woman Reporter Behind the Lines of the War in Chechnya
  • Love Thy Neighbor: A Story of War
  • The Globalization of World Politics: An Introduction to International Relations
  • Invisible Chains: Canada's Underground World of Human Trafficking
  • International Relations
  • The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
  • Neruda and Vallejo: Selected Poems
  • Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague, 1941-1968
  • The Scent of Water: Grace for Every Kind of Broken
  • The Whisperers: Private Life in Stalin's Russia
  • My War Gone By, I Miss It So
Russian journalist and human rights activist well-known for her opposition to the Chechen conflict and Russian president Putin.

Politkovskaya made her name reporting from lawless Chechnya, where many journalists and humanitarian workers have been kidnapped or killed. She was arrested and subjected to mock execution by Russian military forces there, and she was poisoned on the way to Beslan, but sur
More about Anna Politkovskaya...
Putin's Russia: Life in a Failing Democracy A Small Corner of Hell: Dispatches from Chechnya A Dirty War Is Journalism Worth Dying For? Final Dispatches Proibito parlare. Cecenia, Beslan, Teatro Dbrovka: le verità scomode della Russia di Putin