Start by marking “WE” as Want to Read:
WE

WE

We are the only Humans left...In the furthest, coldest, darkest reaches of our solar system, Paul Munro is on a mission from which he can never return. A desolate ice-covered moon will be his home for the rest of his life. And only from here can he see what humanity has become. A thriller to freeze your blood. To absolute zero.
Published 2010 by Oxford : David Fickling, 2010

To ask other readers questions about WE, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about WE

TheBookSmugglers
Jan 30, 2011 TheBookSmugglers rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2010
Original Review HERE

In a not-so-distant future, mankind has changed. The majority of the human population is interlinked by the World Ear, an implant that allows its user to instantaneously connect with anyone else who is implanted, communicating in a mixture of images, sounds, and even transmitted sensations like touch, scent, or taste. The World Ear has allowed humanity to supersede the individual; it has allowed humanity to be connected in one massive consciousness, with information received
Charlotte
Jun 18, 2015 Charlotte rated it really liked it
good book that delved into an issue of isolation and the dangers of technology. it created a world where everyone is connected and your never alone which is both an amazing and horrifying prospect as the human language becomes void and nobody is truly connected as you are when people chose. Paul is taken from the World Ear and placed on the moon where he is no longer connected to the world.
Mark
Dec 21, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
WE is another book that I recently received and, with a quick look at the lovely cover and interesting blurb, I wanted to read pretty much right away. With the synopsis vague enough not to spoil the story, it raised my interest and made me wonder just how John Dickinson was going to approach a subject such as this - separation and isolation within the solar system. The first thing that struck me was the writing and how effortlessly he pulled me into a story that is much more than it first appear ...more
Alice Radwell
Oct 27, 2011 Alice Radwell rated it liked it
WE is a book about isolation in every imaginable form. Set in a near-future where the Earth’s populace is becoming linked to a hive-mind social communication device, WE explores the problems of social networking. Mostly, the problems. And he explores them from light-years away on the moon of a distant planet. Which is an incredibly interesting way to get an audience to engage with a story, and one that works exceptionally well. Identifying with the initial plight of the protagonist becomes easie ...more
Ove
Jan 23, 2010 Ove rated it it was amazing
From my blog review on Cybermage.se
What’s chilly about WE is the future it paints. The Story:

We are the only Humans left…

A thriller to freeze your blood. To absolute zero.

I bought this after reading Mark Chitty’s excellent review (link below) and it
Joe Reese
Jan 31, 2012 Joe Reese rated it it was amazing
A distant moon-base crew of four have settled within a protective eco-bubble on an icy satellite, orbiting a gas giant at the edge of the solar system. Its inhabitants, too far from Earth, have been separated from the World Ear, an advanced electronic network that connects the Earth's population by surgically-implanted receivers. No longer now are they part of a hive-mind of knowledge, shared experience and ideas, but isolated and alone in their thoughts, forced to revert back to using speech as ...more
Kathy
Nov 04, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it
In the future everyone on earth is connected shortly after birth to the World Ear and from that point onwards not even speech is necessary. When Paul Munro is selected to replace a man on earths furthest outpost - and the only one beyond the world ear connections - he is about to find what he thought he knew about being human was wrong and that the past was something he never really understood.

The author has a nice clean writing style and an interesting future history but I would class this as a
Kate
Aug 30, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Very interesting, very different. Eery, scientific, technical and definitely other-wordly. It was quite stark and bleak. I stopped reading it and only finished it about 6 months later. But looking back on it, I remember just being transported to this new, crazily different and out-there place. It was like nothing I've read before. John did nothing to make anything in the novel relatable or normal, and I liked that, it was something SO different from anything else, so strange and fascinating! My ...more
Ingrid
Mar 24, 2010 Ingrid rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Very very intriguing concept. A man gets disconnected from a 24/7 live feed ( via special contact lenses and an implant) of an upgraded version of the internet/facebook/twitter to go live on a space station far out in space.
I loved the way the writer described the confined space, climate and time relay with Earth.
The way the main character had to start to think for himself again, speech, writing. Very clever.
Mats Forssblad
Apr 03, 2016 Mats Forssblad rated it it was ok
It started as an excellent book, but deteriorated at the end. Even the language fell apart, and the author's weakness with dialogues made the whole thing a mess. It's like he made an excellent rewrite and edit but stopped 70% into the text.
The basic plot and concept is great, and the start is so well written and chilly that I think the author should give it another try. It could become a classic.
As for the actual content, the less you know about it when reading, the better.
Nathan Hurst
Jan 24, 2011 Nathan Hurst rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Some good ideas here but should have been longer and the ending should have followed an earlier story thread to it's conclusion, rather than the slow stop that it actually came to. In conclusion, it promised more than it gave.
Catherine
Jul 12, 2014 Catherine rated it liked it
Pretty good science fictiony, future story. The main character was overly irrational at times, but it made sense in a way within the story. I really didn't like the ending though, I felt like I was missing part of the book. I wanted to know what happened, at least some of it. It was very abrupt.
Januzrocket
Sep 02, 2011 Januzrocket rated it it was amazing
Cerebral science-fiction at its best!
Sean Williams
Oct 23, 2010 Sean Williams rated it really liked it
Great to see a novel with real science written so engagingly, with real heart, and without trying too hard.
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2012
ポール
ポール rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2010
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Maria:)
Maria:) rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2012
Brett Harvey
Brett Harvey rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2013
Gabby Marie-Rose
Gabby Marie-Rose rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Epicurean
Epicurean rated it really liked it
May 24, 2015
Drought
Drought rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2011
Zubair
Zubair rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Kathryn MacNeill
Kathryn MacNeill rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2016
Rhiannon Warwick
Rhiannon Warwick rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Nisa Khairi
Nisa Khairi rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2014
Noodles
Noodles rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Shari
Shari rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Juno
Juno rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Charlie Head
Charlie Head rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Edge of Darkness
  • Broken (Extrahumans, #1)
  • City of Thieves (Castle of Shadows, #2)
  • The Third
  • Losers in Space
  • Pastworld
  • Wasted
  • Hope's Daughter (The Ambrosia Sequence, #1)
  • By Light Alone
  • The Echo (The Anomaly Quartet, #2)
  • Genus
  • Veracity
  • Osiris (The Osiris Project, #1)
  • Descent
  • Ministry of Pandemonium
  • Out of the Cocoon
  • Pod
  • Pop Apocalypse: A Possible Satire
John Geoffrey Hyett Dickinson (born June 1962) is an English author of young adult novels, and has also written one adult novel- Lightstep.
Dickinson lives in Painswick, Gloucestershire with his wife, Pippa Thomson, and two children. He is the household cook, an accountant & church treasurer when he's not writing.
More about John G.H. Dickinson...